Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Got this during the steam sale and one of my very first experiences was sending Reynauld with his 'Will only pray for stress relief' in after a stressful mission to the ruins, and him coming out a week later informing me that he'd seen something suspicious and would no longer go pray at our Chapel. It rather set the tone for the game to follow.

Many weeks and multiple full party wipes later I've killed the Swine Prince, Apprentice Necromancer, and Hag, and Cpt. Reynauld and 'Piggy' Dismas are still alive and kicking. Reynauld is a horrible misanthropic hate-filled mess with an obsession with killing and torture, and Dismas has picked up obessions with food and drink and been banned from the brothel for 'deviant requests' after a mission into the Warrens.

They're some of my most skilled and trusted aides.

God help my estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
sounds like a pretty standard experience to me

I remember having three nymphmaniacal Vestals in my first game for some reason. I decided then and there that I loved this game.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
What are some guesses on the story's climax? I hope it isn't just "The Ancestor isn't dead and is the abomination last boss" because that's a lazy twist, but if that isn't it then there may not be a twist at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What are some guesses on the story's climax? I hope it isn't just "The Ancestor isn't dead and is the abomination last boss" because that's a lazy twist, but if that isn't it then there may not be a twist at all.

I think this is fairly likely just because the Ancestor's dialogue is frequently present-tense or concerns events after his apparent suicide.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm just learning how to play this game and one of my first recruits was an arbalest with Lazy Eye and Light Sensitivity, who I then immediately sacked. I made a good call there, right?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'll go with 'yes'. I had to pass up an Arbalast that I rather wanted otherwise because of Light Sensitivity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

I'm just learning how to play this game and one of my first recruits was an arbalest with Lazy Eye and Light Sensitivity, who I then immediately sacked. I made a good call there, right?

If you're early on then you're going to end up sacking pretty much everybody, but yeah Arbalest with Lazy Eye is especially terrible. If you really cared about her you could always get it cured, but again, early on you're just going through human beings like they're a natural resource.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Also this thread mentions escaping from fights: Seriously? I'm not being macho, It's that I've never successfully been able to flee from a battle, it's always been a case of repeatedly wasting turns while the team gets ground away to nothing. Have I just been horrendously unlucky or is the chance of success really low?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I've never had fleeing take an entire round unless one of my heroes had a madness that could prevent retreats. Are you trying to retreat before or after someone hits 100 stress?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Or just get three other misfits like her and send them on a short, no torches, four food items run :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cowcaster posted:

Fire everyone, all the time.

Seriously, if you haven't invested 3 grand or more in a guy in the first 20-30 weeks, then don't keep them until your costs for the sanitarium and stuff are low, then just upgrade the stage coach to 4 per week, and then fire every single fucker who gets in the way of your path to glory. :) For reals, the more disposably you treat them, the better you'll do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crasical posted:

Also this thread mentions escaping from fights: Seriously? I'm not being macho, It's that I've never successfully been able to flee from a battle, it's always been a case of repeatedly wasting turns while the team gets ground away to nothing. Have I just been horrendously unlucky or is the chance of success really low?

There are perks that can really mess up your ability to flee, and I think its just different for some characters to begin with? I definitely flee sometimes but it feels like it fails way more on my crusader than highwayman.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

TheBlandName posted:

I've never had fleeing take an entire round unless one of my heroes had a madness that could prevent retreats. Are you trying to retreat before or after someone hits 100 stress?

I usually don't (try to) flee until someone has has a derangement/is at death's door/is dead. Mostly now I try and hang in there and finish the fight if I can rather than trying to escape.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crasical posted:

I usually don't (try to) flee until someone has has a derangement/is at death's door/is dead. Mostly now I try and hang in there and finish the fight if I can rather than trying to escape.

Yeah, that's your issue then. Flee early, flee often. There's no downside or at least there wasn't last time I played. The fact that you can run away and monsters can't is one of your biggest advantages, right up there with party members having a basic "move" command while enemies don't. You can sometimes even re-surprise them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think this is fairly likely just because the Ancestor's dialogue is frequently present-tense or concerns events after his apparent suicide.

Oh, he's dead. He says as much in a rare returning dialogue. "I remember the hateful faces of the mob. But I was already dead, and the letter was on it's way."

What happened to his BODY is certainly possible. But his SPIRIT is very much on your side and hanging around.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I haven't played in a while, did they ever do anything to make Plague Doctors more useful?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I haven't played in a while, did they ever do anything to make Plague Doctors more useful?

The heal skill is pretty useful for removing Bleed/Blight and healing at the same time to stave off Death's Door. Other than that, the occasional 2x backrow stun, and as a scapegoat for every single object/trap in the Warrens, you might as well just get a fourth Man-At-Arms instead.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Definitely the best part of fleeing is saying gently caress no to every single time you get surprised at the start of a fight. Never fight with a shuffled team, just walk away, relight up, and come back hoping to surprise them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't know how to flee. I'm literally at 0 cash right now because I just lost a group to a boss, and spent all my money on supplies for that run. :(

eldridge cleaver
Apr 11, 2015

by Lowtax
There's a little white flag top-left for fleeing. And being at $0 is NBD--either sell junk trinkets (Shift-click them) or suicide/retreat some recruits on itemless darkruns until you've scraped enough to go for real again.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

coyo7e posted:

I don't know how to flee. I'm literally at 0 cash right now because I just lost a group to a boss, and spent all my money on supplies for that run. :(

Grab four dudes and go on an itemless run, collect as much gold as you can before fleeing, repeat until you have enough gold to provision a proper run.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

eldridge cleaver posted:

There's a little white flag top-left for fleeing. And being at $0 is NBD--either sell junk trinkets (Shift-click them) or suicide/retreat some recruits on itemless darkruns until you've scraped enough to go for real again.
Holy crap I can sell trinkets!? :aaaaa:

There's no white flag in the top left of the screen during fights on my version, btw. The abandon quest button hides itself during a fight.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I'm away from my computer, but I am pretty sure it is on the mini map. I haven't used it in forever though because I am good at the game, so I may be mistaken.

Cometchaser
Oct 20, 2008

Being dead's not so bad

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'm away from my computer, but I am pretty sure it is on the mini map. I haven't used it in forever though because I am good at the game, so I may be mistaken.

This. The retreat button is a white-flag-on-red-background button at the top-left of your minimap.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

Refreating seems to have enough of a failure chance to make it a gamble. It took me 3 tries to escape that one thing you summon with the torch or whatever. I didn't want to lose Reynauld so I was anxious to bug out of there, but losing those three turns got pretty hairy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My first genuine Bullshit Death was losing Dismas to an ambush which I immediately tried to flee and had two heroes fail to do so, after which two monsters consecutively critted Dismas and killed him outright. I really think the retreat button should demonstrate a "chance to flee" tooltip, like the "hero to hit" tooltip on monsters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Angry Diplomat posted:

My first genuine Bullshit Death was losing Dismas to an ambush which I immediately tried to flee and had two heroes fail to do so, after which two monsters consecutively critted Dismas and killed him outright. I really think the retreat button should demonstrate a "chance to flee" tooltip, like the "hero to hit" tooltip on monsters.
I lost Dismas to a lucky instant deathblow.

Cometchaser posted:

This. The retreat button is a white-flag-on-red-background button at the top-left of your minimap.
Oh you've got to be kidding me LOL. II saw the "you can flee!" tooltip when i lost Dismas early on, but it was "during the tutorial" (which seems to last until every building is unlocked?) so didn't try to retreat, since it was just an unlocky crit from one of those bullshit sword skeletons which occasionally will hit for 30.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Well I tried fighting the 3rd Hag, fled with my entire team alive, then when they reappeared two of them were gone. Think I'm done with this game. :geno:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Oh, he's dead. He says as much in a rare returning dialogue. "I remember the hateful faces of the mob. But I was already dead, and the letter was on it's way."

What happened to his BODY is certainly possible. But his SPIRIT is very much on your side and hanging around.

Maybe. In some of the Warrens backstory, he emphasizes that things on the other side of the portal need a host body to take physical form, and that he experimented with pigs because they are close to human.

He's definitely dead, but the letter and his help might be a ploy to get his descendant to the portal so that he or something else can possess you.

I agree that it's a pretty cliche twist, but I think it's a lot more likely to be that than the climax being against some random Giant Unspeakable Thing that is described nowhere else in the game.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Ancestorchat guess:

Which makes my Ghostbusters MaA team very excited. :science::ghost:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Lost Reynauld today. Got gashed by a ghoul and contracted the Blight, his heart couldn't handle it. He went spitting to his grave, screaming paranoid ravings that his teammates had poisoned him.

There has been a strong push the past few weeks into the Ruins, Warrens and Weald, but the Sonorous Prophet and the Inchoate Flesh lay dead and the 8-Pounder bandit cannon has been destroyed. Three of my Ancestor's personal effects have been retrieved, a portrait, a scroll, and a map.

'Piggy' Dismas remains with us, as does 'Silent' Painel, our lockjaw-ridden Vestal. More have risen to join them, powerful enforcers and henchmen. 'The Gourmand'. 'Iron' Cormyr. 'Radiant' Carnet. 'Reaper' Ferrers, and 'Zen' Marescot. A motley bunch. But with them backing this venture, there is hope of eventual victory. I only hope I can forgive myself for the the nine peasant graves and two fine marble headstones that now fill the graveyard of our Hamlet.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't understand why people in these fantasy settings bother burying their dead instead of going for something like cremation

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Jackard posted:

I don't understand why people in these fantasy settings bother burying their dead instead of going for something like cremation

we're so fckin poor we're sending in the future of our town into a dark dungeon with no food, no torches, no bandages and no shovels..

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jackard posted:

How much fuel does it take to burn a human body?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Bloodly posted:

How much fuel does it take to burn a human body?

A lot, human bodies actually burn very poorly and require very high temperatures and even then you end up with... bits...

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Neruz posted:

A lot, human bodies actually burn very poorly and require very high temperatures and even then you end up with... bits...

I thought that fat burns pretty well once it catches, though we're talking about a mass that's 70+% water so I guess they'd have to be prepped in the first place.

Perhaps we could use the dead as torches with a little work.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I thought that fat burns pretty well once it catches, though we're talking about a mass that's 70+% water so I guess they'd have to be prepped in the first place.

Perhaps we could use the dead as torches with a little work.

The fat will burn pretty well but all that does is leave you with a big pile of somewhat charred meat, if you want to turn a body into ash you need sustained high temperatures for quite awhile; over an hour and sometimes over two hours depending on how much mass you're trying to cremate.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

Skeletons can be bashed or read to death. Ghosts have insanely high protection.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Aragorn fights ghosts no problem with just a sword and torch.

could at least chop off their hands/heads and stuff the mouths with garlic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jackard posted:

Aragorn fights ghosts no problem with just a sword and torch.

could at least chop off their hands/heads and stuff the mouths with garlic

You gotta bury 'em face down so when they try to tunnel out of the grave they just go deeper.