Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So Microsoft announced a $299 VR headset with inside out tracking

I mean, that's interesting, right?

I can't find a video of them doing the live demonstration on stage, except for the end part where they say the price.

I just want my loving $300 netflix VR on my laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Truga posted:

Has copyright gone too far???

Realtalk, Zenimax should bugger off imo. Carmack left before the facebook buyout, I'm pretty sure they could have made him a better offer than oculus at the time, if they wanted him to actually stay. Then when Oculus got facebook'd, they were suddenly angry af that he left :laffo:

I think it's more that they claim he was doing work for Oculus before he left Zenimax.

Hadlock posted:

I can't find a video of them doing the live demonstration on stage, except for the end part where they say the price.

I'm just wondering what the catch is. Leapfrogging Oculus in tracking tech, plus bringing it in at half the price of the (supposedly loss leading) Rift? I'm gonna wait till some devs have gotten their mitts on one before I get too excited. Plus, there hasn't been a mention of motion controllers yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The demo was the same kind of BS demo that they usually give with Hololens, so there's not really a whole lot to get out of it other than it running on Windows Holographic. Also it was "starting at $299" and there's a whole list of partners that will be making different headsets. Basically no part of it was meaningful other than to say "hey we're taking VR seriously"

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Truga posted:

Has copyright gone too far???

Realtalk, Zenimax should bugger off imo. Carmack left before the facebook buyout, I'm pretty sure they could have made him a better offer than oculus at the time, if they wanted him to actually stay. Then when Oculus got facebook'd, they were suddenly angry af that he left :laffo:

This doesn't mean that Oculus wasn't guilty, though, just that Zenimax (maybe) didn't think it was worth suing when Oculus wouldn't have been able to pay them/wasn't going to be a direct competitor.

I've got no idea how much of Zenimax's case is true, but if it is they're definitely justified to sue.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Also it was "starting at $299" and there's a whole list of partners that will be making different headsets. Basically no part of it was meaningful other than to say "hey we're taking VR seriously"

Yeah I would imagine at $299 you're getting a 1280×800 display which is probably just barely capable of minecraft, vector graphics games and what have you. That's probably acceptable for watching video being piped in at 1.5x resolution or whatever the vive does to sharpen text.

But, that means there will also be 1K, 2K displays available by next fall from a variety of manufacturers. Whatever tech Microsoft has for inside-out tracking should be quickly reverse-engineered and, I would imagine, ported in to Open-VR.

Either way, if I can get a ~1080p image rendered in VR on a laptop to project video, I'll be in hog-heaven for plane rides etc.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I would imagine at $299 you're getting a 1280×800 display which is probably just barely capable of minecraft, vector graphics games and what have you. That's probably acceptable for watching video being piped in at 1.5x resolution or whatever the vive does to sharpen text.

But, that means there will also be 1K, 2K displays available by next fall from a variety of manufacturers. Whatever tech Microsoft has for inside-out tracking should be quickly reverse-engineered and, I would imagine, ported in to Open-VR.

Either way, if I can get a ~1080p image rendered in VR on a laptop to project video, I'll be in hog-heaven for plane rides etc.

5" 1080p AMOLED panels are like 50 bucks, if someone is making a cheap HMD it's a no-brainer to use one of those.

I'd also imagine a Windows Holographic->OpenVR wrapper would be made pretty quickly, but there's also the chance of the things supporting it out of the box.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A cheap screen isn't going to be 90hz add have global update which you need for VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

A cheap screen isn't going to be 90hz add have global update which you need for VR.

The panels themselves are usually quite capable of it, the controllers are generally the problem.

Point is, the tech is fundamentally pretty cheap.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SwissCM posted:

5" 1080p AMOLED panels are like 50 bucks, if someone is making a cheap HMD it's a no-brainer to use one of those.

I'd also imagine a Windows Holographic->OpenVR wrapper would be made pretty quickly, but there's also the chance of the things supporting it out of the box.

According to a number of sources back in March, AMOLED screens are under $15, and closer to $22 for a 1080p panel

http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2016/03/news-oled-displays-cheaper-than-lcd.html

I would imagine Qualcomm, Intel and Samsung are all racing to build chips that will drive an OLED screen at 90 fps, if they're not already avalible. I'm working on a robotics project that uses a 6DOF IMU that runs at 4200hz that cost me $9 for two, shipped free two day with prime shipping.

Even if it only works at 60fps, if you're doing a seated experience, like watching a movie on your laptop, that ought to be fine. At least for the first generation. Second gen brand name stuff will all be 90fps except for the cheapest chinese garbage.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rift and Vive both use Toshiba display chips (the same model, even) and Samsung displays (slightly different pixel densities, but comparable otherwise). Seems like the real money might be in the optics, but it wouldn't exactly shock me if 90Hz low persistence displays were a bit more expensive than a basic 1080p 60Hz panel.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 29, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wouldn't doubt it since HTC and oculus had to get them custom made. Especially since they are two separate screens. You aren't going to get two custom 1080x1200 screens that are 90hz and global update for 20 dollars.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Is there an expectation that there might be more PSVR launch bundles due to the popularity? Or has that ship sailed and best now would be to just look for a Core and buy the controllers/cam separately?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Sorry if the thread is clogged with these sorts of questions already, but is there an actual go-to headset yet? I've got a PS4 and a PC that I think meets minimum specs (i5-6600k, 970), and I'm thinking of throwing some money away to put a huge dork goggle on my face, but I can't decide which one I should go with.

I partly wanted to go with the PSVR because it's cheaper and Ace Combat is a thing, but there's probably way more stuff to do on PC. Is the rift tied heavily to Oculus Home or can you use it with steam games? Are there any worthwhile headsets from anyone else that have appeared? Is the Vive (or any of them, for that matter) worth it if you can't scrounge up much floor space and intend to mostly use it while seated?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/5a60cr/honestly_you_can_sell_a_book_called_how_to_clone/

A Windlands dev filed a false claim against a guy trying to show people how to develop in VR because he thinks they own the concept of swinging in video games.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Klades posted:

Sorry if the thread is clogged with these sorts of questions already, but is there an actual go-to headset yet? I've got a PS4 and a PC that I think meets minimum specs (i5-6600k, 970), and I'm thinking of throwing some money away to put a huge dork goggle on my face, but I can't decide which one I should go with.

I partly wanted to go with the PSVR because it's cheaper and Ace Combat is a thing, but there's probably way more stuff to do on PC. Is the rift tied heavily to Oculus Home or can you use it with steam games? Are there any worthwhile headsets from anyone else that have appeared? Is the Vive (or any of them, for that matter) worth it if you can't scrounge up much floor space and intend to mostly use it while seated?

Rift can run Steam games, but it doesn't have motion controllers yet (first batch of those is shipping in December) so any games requiring motion controllers won't do anything right now. Vive can also use a hack to run Oculus Home games although it isn't guaranteed that will work forever. The two are roughly comparable. If you can, I'd suggest finding somewhere that can demo them because the main differences are in some minor visual quality things and personal comfort of the headset.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/5a60cr/honestly_you_can_sell_a_book_called_how_to_clone/

A Windlands dev filed a false claim against a guy trying to show people how to develop in VR because he thinks they own the concept of swinging in video games.

Yeah Nathan Spencer would like a word with you.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Klades posted:

The standard answer on a go-to headset is arguably still to wait for the next generation, which will inevitably be a huge advance over what we have. That said...

You can use the Rift headset fine with steam games. All three headsets work fine while seated, and a decent proportion of the content is designed for that. A significant amount of content does require motion controllers, though, so unless you're in the camp of "I will literally never play anything that isn't a flight simulator" then you should assume you'll want them when calculating costs. There are a number of other announced headsets, but they're either bad (Razer OSVR) or they don't have release dates yet (assorted Microsoft partner headsets).

It's also looking increasingly likely that people will be able to get PSVR working on PC. Given that it's significantly cheaper you may want to wait and see what happens with that and how well it works in that context.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

As someone who has never tried VR but is thinking of getting either a Rift or Vive, a few questions:

- How important are motion controllers? When I had a Wii and Kinect, I ultimately determined that I preferred to just use a control pad regardless the quality of the game. How likely is it that will feel the same when it comes to motion controls and VR?

- How good is revive for playing Rift games on the Vive? Is the quality the same as playing on a Rift?

- When playing a sitting game on the Vive, do you end up just moving your chair to the middle of the room and sitting/playing from there? I assume with Rift you sit in front of your desk?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
motion controllers are basically the whole point for most of the best vr experiences, and most of the rest are driving and piloting games where you are still better off having a dedicated alternate controller. They are nothing like the wii or kinect stuff, the difference is immense. Even for the psvr where it is literally the same tech, motion controllers in r is just very different from in front of a screen. whichever you get you will eventually want them

there are a few good games without motion controls to enjoy even then though, so dont worry about going rift and getting motion controls later

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Grey posted:

- How important are motion controllers? When I had a Wii and Kinect, I ultimately determined that I preferred to just use a control pad regardless the quality of the game. How likely is it that will feel the same when it comes to motion controls and VR?
It's not really an either-or situation; the VR games that use motion controls are generally about the motion controls, rather than then being a substitute for gamepad controls. There aren't many games where you have a choice between them, unless one of the two options is a joke - usually the gamepad controls.

quote:

- How good is revive for playing Rift games on the Vive? Is the quality the same as playing on a Rift?
Generally yes, but the Rift's drivers currently do a better job of smoothing out poor performance and Valve's drivers are having to play catch-up.

quote:

- When playing a sitting game on the Vive, do you end up just moving your chair to the middle of the room and sitting/playing from there? I assume with Rift you sit in front of your desk?
Unless your desk is inside a cupboard you can use the Vive seated at your desk, same as the Rift.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
i cant actually use my vive at my desk because its outside my properly tracked play area and the seat and my head does a good job of blocking the camera that can see it, and also the desk gets in the way of the motion controllers which are used for menus and poo poo, so I do sit in the middle of the room. but if you prefer to sit at your desk just take that into account when setting up the sensors and you should be fine

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 30, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Grey posted:

As someone who has never tried VR but is thinking of getting either a Rift or Vive, a few questions:

For the games that make use of them, they are very loving important and can't be replicated with a gamepad. The difference is that when using motion controllers with a screen it adds a layer of abstraction to everything, you have to think about how to manipulate your body to make the character on screen move the way you want, its essentially digital puppetry. Not to mention that Wii and Kinect tracking are fairly imprecise. When you have hand controllers in VR you look down and they are exactly where you expect your hands to be, there's no second guessing or ambiguity.

There are plenty of VR games that are good without hand controllers also, but they're very different kinds of experiences.

quote:

I've never had a bad experience with Revive. More and more games are adding native OpenVR support though so I've been using it less than I used to.

quote:

There's no difference as far as either is concerned with sitting games, you can sit wherever. If I'm using a gamepad I pull out a bit so I can spin a little bit without hitting the desk though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The Grey posted:

There are basically two kinds of VR games out now. One would be, I dunno, "traditional" games. Games similar to existing stuff that uses the headset for 3d and to let you move your view around (which, don't get me wrong, is awesome). This includes things like Elite:Dangerous, despite it being a very immersive experience in VR. Most of these games either wont use motion controls or will just have it as an afterthought.

The second are, oh, let's call them "holodeck" games (not the same as room scale). They're experiences that are all about basically putting you in the game as yourself, and, believe it or not, that works. Instead of controlling normally you might literally pick up a gun and swing it around to aim it, lean over to pick up ammo, etc. They're not perfect yet; it's very much a case of reinventing the wheel, and Devs are still learning what works; but they're an experience unlike any other. It's kind hard to describe but this youtube video kinda shows it. You absolutely need motion controls for them, though.

So how important motion controls are depends pretty much entirely on which games you want to play.

Revive works fine. It's a bit of a bother to install, and since it's operating in the background there's a small performance hit, but neither is a big deal.

I usually play seated Vive games at my desk, yes.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 31, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Grey posted:

To add to everyone's words about motion controls: They also 'gameify' things (in a good way) that would be a non-game thing in normal games.
Like Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades. On the surface this game is a shooting gallery game, you have guns, targets, grenades, standard videogame stuff. If you played a game like this with a controller it would be exceedingly dull because you'd press a button on the controller to fire and another button to reload the weapon. With motion controls though you have to physically move your arms and the controllers to interact with the objects in the game. You have to grab the slide of the pistol, you have to put the magazine in, some weapons you can just eject mags from, others you have to grab them out. With motion controllers there is a depth of 'game' to a simple concept and since it's so intuitive you hold the weapon in your hand and go 'ok so how do I...' and just poke and prod at it till you get it. Motion controls are absolutely required for a game like this because they become the game. What's more is that when you are running around in the game and there are moving targets shooting at you there is a real thrill in engaging them because you are in VR so you feel 'there' and since you have representations of your hands within that world you have to wrestle with the weapon while you play that tests your ability to fire, load and reload the weapon.

For me motion controls are required for VR to be enjoyable to me otherwise it's just a very cool and slick gimmick. Cockpit simulation games are super rad in VR but there is so much more potential with virtual reality for new experiences that can't be replicated elsewhere. That and there is a very odd pushback against simulation grognards against VR because I guess it obsoletes their triple-monitor sim rigs they've spent forever building for whatever game.

And also yeah you can use a Vive just fine at a desk, just sit down and use it. The Vive is as capable as the Rift with sit-down experiences, there is no difference between the capabilities between the hardware when it comes to sitting down. Depending on how Oculus handles the room-scale aspect with the Rift they might reach capability parity in December for room-scale experiences.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 31, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

KakerMix posted:

And also yeah you can use a Vive just fine at a desk, just sit down and use it. The Vive is as capable as the Rift with sit-down experiences, there is no difference between the capabilities between the hardware when it comes to sitting down. Depending on how Oculus handles the room-scale aspect with the Rift they might reach capability parity in December for room-scale experiences.

Equivalency in room scale can mean different things. I mean, my Vive play area is my basement; it's 22 feet long. Wouldn't really be practical with a Rift (even the Vive gives me a warning message about my lighthouses being too far apart, but it works fine). But that's an outlier; if your play area is clearing out a 6' x 8' spot in your computer room, then it looks like the Rift will work as well and you might choose based on other factors.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Grey posted:

if you want to have a look, heres the compatibility list for revive: https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/wiki/Compatibility-list

Theres some problems here and there, but most of it seems to work fine. You won't get the benefit of ASW, but thankfully valve has made a version of ATW so you'll at least get that which is great, and they've said they're working on releasing some kind of ASW equivalent at some point. The unknowns are if it will break again in the future, and the other is how compatible it will be with touch exclusive titles.

In theory you should be able to emulate it with the vive controller, but if a game really uses motions like pointing at things, thumbs, the buttons and analog sticks, or analog grip action, it could get really cumbersome and awkward to try and emulate all of that. I know in the lone echo demos they seemed to use your pointer finger as a laser cutter and to press buttons (arktika.1 also showed using this to press buttons so maybe it will become common?) and thats fine to press somewhere on the touchpad to emulate an extended finger, but if you also need to use it as an analog stick at the same time you can see how that could fall apart. If you have have scenarios where the controllers would interact in a way that would hit each other or yourself (like some of the stuff shown in the wilson's heart previews), you'd have to decide if you want the wands to emulate hands where your actual hands are grabbing them, or fake hands at the tip of the controller so they don't conflict.

That's really just the oculus exclusive touch games like the climb, lone echo, robo recall, wilsons heart, unspoken, arktika.1, dead an buried, i expect you to die, and a few others* where you'd ever even have to be concerned about all that though. For the rest they're going to be cross platform with all that entails so they're not going to be an issue. Even more than that though, most things will be trying to hit the PSVR as well which has none of the roomscale ability of the rift or vive, not even to a small degree, and on top of that it's controllers don't even have any kind of analog thumbstick or equivalent of the rift or vive.

*rockband VR has its own unique challenges since you'll need to attach the controller to the guitar, which should be easy enough to tape a vive wand to it somewhere, but may take some playing around to make sure the guitar renders 1:1 how it should be in game/in your hands.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Onward just dropped a large update, among other things putting more stress on having to use both hands to aim effectively (I really need to get around building a noobtube, it's crazy effective for those that use one), and going to add support for people to submit maps, also riot shields :metal101:

But most importantly....they added the AK5c !!! :aaaaa:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=496240

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like extra Rift sensors are going up for preorder at some point today. I will probably buy one because in for a penny, in for $2k+ I guess but I sorta wonder how necessary they will end up being

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Only if you want big area I guess. Anything less than 11 feet across would be fine with two cameras.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Vanishing of Ethan Carter is on sale on Steam for $3.99 + the VR dlc for $1.99. There is an issue with the subtitles being weird, but I played it last night for awhile and it really looks amazing. Definitely worth the $6 imo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Has anyone tried obduction in vr yet?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Has anyone tried obduction in vr yet?

I've played for about 2 hours. It's good so far if you like puzzle games. I really hate the blink/snap turning though and I hope they offer a regular locomotion smooth turning option in the future. Also, some of the pages/writings you find are kind of hard to read. It recommends a 980 and 16g of ram, apparently less than 16 runs pretty bad even on low. I've got 16 and a 980 and have everything on High except shadows with the ingame supersample set to 2.0 and it runs fine. So far the puzzles have been relatively straightforward, but again I've only played it for 2 hours so I don't know if that will change later on.

edit: You can turn off Blink in the controller settings, I just realized. Still stuck with snap turning though

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 1, 2016

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Is there a thread specifically for PS VR? I'm thinking of buying it but I fear that there's no good games to play. What're the games with the best user feedback (fun and not motion sickening inducing)?

I'm also buying it because then I can play PS while my girlfriend watches TV, that sounds good.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

orange sky posted:

Is there a thread specifically for PS VR? I'm thinking of buying it but I fear that there's no good games to play.

There is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293

Inevitably as with any launch it's going to be slim pickings on games for a while. There's definitely fun and quality stuff in the lineup but it's going to be a while until there's significant amounts of content available.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I tried Subnautica last night on the Vive.

It could be really fun, except for a few stand-out problems:
  • You have to turn your head to look at menus and items to interact with them. WTF?
  • UI elements are rendered a bit too close to your face. Maybe it's calibrated well for the Rift FOV, but the O2 bar is just barely in sight on the Vive. Also item labels can get way too close to your face.
  • I got VR sick from spinning my viewport with the joystick.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

sliderule posted:

Maybe it's calibrated well for the Rift FOV, but the O2 bar is just barely in sight on the Vive.

Lol I wish. Subnautica is so close to being really cool in VR but is just a hot mess of problems that make it painful to play.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Idk I've been playing it quite a bit lately and it seems fine, the HUD elements being just on the edge of the FOV is the only real problem I have and that's a mild annoyance at best. I can see the O2 fine but if my water gets below 20% I'm in trouble cause at that point I can't see the bar anymore.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I just ordered a 3rd camera because it comes with the 5M extension and I can afford to spend a little to future proof my setup even though I currently don't have enough space to take advantage of it.

Free Shipping!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I want to get a 3rd Rift sensor, but I'm holding out hope that Amazon will sell them. I have a bunch of Amazon credit I would like to use on the sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Sweet, Dead and Buried is also free with Touch
http://uploadvr.com/dead-and-buried-free-oculus-touch/