Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Yup, definitely trying "Ponza With A Plan Bee" tonight.

All tokens have foil anarchists as card backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I'm taking regular ponza to regionals tomorrow. God bless you for stone raining people, as Richard Garfield intended

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I'm taking regular ponza to regionals tomorrow. God bless you for stone raining people, as Richard Garfield intended

pbuh

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Maximum Disrespect Ponza: 4 Blood Moon, 4 Stone Rain, 4 Molten Rain, 4 Mwonvuli

4 SB Dampening Sphere :kheldragar:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Yup, definitely trying "Ponza With A Plan Bee" tonight.

All tokens have foil anarchists as card backs.

3-1 second place.

r1 bant spirts, both games make 13 bees gg

r2 Jeskai; game 1 he fucks up and doesn't play the right mana to leave up logic knot g1 and I resolve blood moon and he does nothing; g2 was more interactive but again blood moon does work. So does hornet queen.

r3 bant spirits, very experienced pilot, two very fast losses

r4 Blue Moon; g1 is dumb and by the end of it I have 2 blood moons out and he has 1 but I beat face. G2 he bolts a hornet nest to give me my last 3 bees of the night, and I say "bee cool, man, just bee cool" and then like stick a chandra and 2 BBEs and win with thrun in hand.

Peace Bee to me, used my credit towards a teferi and now I will put Miracles back together.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Star Man posted:

How to play Jund: Watch Victor Wood in the top eight of SCG Minneapolis 2018. Don't play like that.

This situation is true as gently caress

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

3-1 second place.

r1 bant spirts, both games make 13 bees gg

r2 Jeskai; game 1 he fucks up and doesn't play the right mana to leave up logic knot g1 and I resolve blood moon and he does nothing; g2 was more interactive but again blood moon does work. So does hornet queen.

r3 bant spirits, very experienced pilot, two very fast losses

r4 Blue Moon; g1 is dumb and by the end of it I have 2 blood moons out and he has 1 but I beat face. G2 he bolts a hornet nest to give me my last 3 bees of the night, and I say "bee cool, man, just bee cool" and then like stick a chandra and 2 BBEs and win with thrun in hand.

Peace Bee to me, used my credit towards a teferi and now I will put Miracles back together.

Buzz Buzz Bitch, I have normal Ponza built but have never bothered to actually run it in an event. This seems just silly enough and the cards that I'm missing cheap enough (minus the Chandras) that I may just swap into this version instead because I can't not play needlessly weird variants of established decks. And my former favorite Commander card Purphoros!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Buzz Buzz Bitch, I have normal Ponza built but have never bothered to actually run it in an event. This seems just silly enough and the cards that I'm missing cheap enough (minus the Chandras) that I may just swap into this version instead because I can't not play needlessly weird variants of established decks. And my former favorite Commander card Purphoros!

Purphoros has stolen me a few games; last night I had someone bolt a nest with him out, clearly not thinking about the consequences. Chandra is really strong here, both because the card is stupid in general and because in a pinch it can deal 4 to a nest. Obviously it's an expensive card, but I've been running 3 in otherwise stock Ponza lists because that's how good it's been.

In other spicy news, one of my friends just took #18 out of ~240 at a regionals with this "Naya Ladies" list:

I just finished building it because I only needed ~$20 in cards to do so, and running 3 Ice Age Fiery Justice in a modern 75 is something I need.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 3, 2018

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Purphoros has stolen me a few games; last night I had someone bolt a nest with him out, clearly not thinking about the consequences. Chandra is really strong here, both because the card is stupid in general and because in a pinch it can deal 4 to a nest. Obviously it's an expensive card, but I've been running 3 in otherwise stock Ponza lists because that's how good it's been.

In other spicy news, one of my friends just took #18 out of ~240 at a regionals with this "Naya Ladies" list:

I just finished building it because I only needed ~$20 in cards to do so, and running 3 Ice Age Fiery Justice in a modern 75 is something I need.

Its not quite as good in modern as in legacy with swords to plowshares, but Kavu Predator with Grove and Fiery justice is hilarious and good in a bad way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried running Bedlam Reveler and Thing in the Ice together in Modern? Both creatures like it when you cast a lot of instants and sorceries, and Reveler doesn't get bounced by Thing on account of also being a Horror. Running four of each other in UR alongside some Snapcasters might be too many creatures for that type of deck though.

E: Oh I guess this guy did, will have to watch it sometime-
https://youtu.be/hWi5nv3RHJw

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 5, 2018

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

C-Euro posted:

Has anyone tried running Bedlam Reveler and Thing in the Ice together in Modern? Both creatures like it when you cast a lot of instants and sorceries, and Reveler doesn't get bounced by Thing on account of also being a Horror. Running four of each other in UR alongside some Snapcasters might be too many creatures for that type of deck though.

E: Oh I guess this guy did, will have to watch it sometime-
https://youtu.be/hWi5nv3RHJw

When probe was legal this was my thing, but with fewer lands, more Kiln Fiends and TBRs.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Cactrot posted:

When probe was legal this was my thing, but with fewer lands, more Kiln Fiends and TBRs.

same, and it was pretty good. also disrupting shoals

that naya ladies deck looks.... good. Like Ponza's evolution has been "stop running bad cards and instead play good ones" with people shifting away from acid-mosses to bolts, shaving molten rains, getting rid of bonfire (obviously terrible with BBE) and so on. I think there's something there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

that naya ladies deck looks.... good. Like Ponza's evolution has been "stop running bad cards and instead play good ones" with people shifting away from acid-mosses to bolts, shaving molten rains, getting rid of bonfire (obviously terrible with BBE) and so on. I think there's something there.

I've seen some Naya zoo lists with Domri Rade (and sometime Nissa) popping up lately, they are cool but as a non-Gofy haver I'm sad that they are trending towards Gofy-having even though it's probably the right move. Also I love the sideboard Nahiri package, if I can manage to pick up the few non-Goyf cards in this list that I need I might try running a version with KotR over Goyf.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

same, and it was pretty good. also disrupting shoals

as someone who's been flitting between tribal zoo & ponza, which deck is this?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Hauki posted:

as someone who's been flitting between tribal zoo & ponza, which deck is this?

the one I posted a few posts up, that a friend did pretty well in a regionals with:

I'm tempted to drop the hierarch/birds for the usual arbor elf/sprawl package, but my friend cautioned that heirarch making his goyf bigger than the opponent's had been relevant a decent number of times.

In other news, my angel tokens for miracles should be here soon:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

I've seen some Naya zoo lists with Domri Rade (and sometime Nissa) popping up lately, they are cool but as a non-Gofy haver I'm sad that they are trending towards Gofy-having even though it's probably the right move. Also I love the sideboard Nahiri package, if I can manage to pick up the few non-Goyf cards in this list that I need I might try running a version with KotR over Goyf.

You might want to change your mind sooner rather than later about getting Tarmogoyfs. You can find MM3 editions for $65 a hit and all it takes is one metagame shift or missed opportunity for a reprint to gently caress it all up.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

the one I posted a few posts up, that a friend did pretty well in a regionals with:

So you did, somehow I totally glossed over that. Thanks.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Star Man posted:

You might want to change your mind sooner rather than later about getting Tarmogoyfs. You can find MM3 editions for $65 a hit and all it takes is one metagame shift or missed opportunity for a reprint to gently caress it all up.

Agree, I think the Goyf price drop had more to do with the rise of fatal push in modern & legacy, than the last reprint (though that certainly helped, and might have stabilized it at 100-120 even if the meta hadn't shifted). Push is here to stay, but that doesn't mean we might not see a bunch of goyfs in T8 lists at some point in the next year or two, and I'll be surprised if prices tank from where they are now in any case. (I finished my playset when they were 70-80ish).

Hooting Mandrills is an okay substitute in some lists, especially RUG midrange, but BBE makes it worse.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

played against Humans last night with that naya list; Fiery Justice feels like a real card when you use it on turn 3 to kill 3 heirarchs and a thalia, and then use it on turn 5 to kill a reflector mage and a thalia's lt. Yes I gave him 10 life but I was up 4 cards with a basically insurmountable board.

edit: turn numbers were wrong, I had a birds.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Agree, I think the Goyf price drop had more to do with the rise of fatal push in modern & legacy, than the last reprint (though that certainly helped, and might have stabilized it at 100-120 even if the meta hadn't shifted). Push is here to stay, but that doesn't mean we might not see a bunch of goyfs in T8 lists at some point in the next year or two, and I'll be surprised if prices tank from where they are now in any case. (I finished my playset when they were 70-80ish).

Hooting Mandrills is an okay substitute in some lists, especially RUG midrange, but BBE makes it worse.

Eh, getting Goyfs is tempting but I'm trying to cut down on how many different deck ideas I choose to chase because I simply don't have time to build and play them all. Instead I'm building shells where I can play different decks that rely on a common set of core cards. My decks right now are
-GWx CoCo midrange/combo (GW/Bant/Naya value; GW or Abzan Devoted Druid combo)
-URx stuff (UR Breach, Jeskai Aggro/Midrange/Kiki-Resto, UR Control, Grixis Control maybe)
-Mill (duh)
-Maybe Ponza if I ever pick it up again (I probably should with all the Tron around here)

That way I have a bunch of different decks that play differently but I don't have to swap too many cards to switch decks within one "archetype". Jury's out as to how effective of a deck curation strategy it actually is :v: Eventually I will play these minor variations enough to stick with one or two in each group on a more permanent basis.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
Anyone have some recent sideboarding guides for legacy elves? I’ve just built the deck online and while I feel like I have a decent feel for how you’re supposed to actually play and go off, I’m completely lost on how to sideboard for various matchups. I’ve done a bit of googling and everything I’ve been able to find is like 3-4 years old at this point unless I’ve completely missed something.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

TimNeilson posted:

Anyone have some recent sideboarding guides for legacy elves? I’ve just built the deck online and while I feel like I have a decent feel for how you’re supposed to actually play and go off, I’m completely lost on how to sideboard for various matchups. I’ve done a bit of googling and everything I’ve been able to find is like 3-4 years old at this point unless I’ve completely missed something.

Look up itsjulian, prolific elves steamer and very good player.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

TimNeilson posted:

someone just posted this in the elves subreddit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FbX_9RFzV-lsZSZz-BfIh6RIyj-AK9vTZ91gqhhuN44/edit

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Trip report: SCGcon, NBL Open

Things I learned: the banlist is good and most of it needs to stay exactly the way it is. Also this event reaffirmed my position that SFM is a fine card, it wasn't good enough at all for the event and the 1 or 2 times I played against it I was able to work around it just fine. IMO eye of ugin is more degenerate than dark depths, but both can never be unbanned. Depths at least requires some build around, eye is just irritating. Eldrazi was there in huge numbers and was also probably the best deck, or at least a top 3 choice, although the top 8 numbers had as much to do with how saturated the field was with eldrazi as it did anything else. I also think white eldrazi decks are the best, and people just played it safe with the colorless ones. Super happy with my deck choice and had an absolute blast playing it and now I'm sad I can't play it again. Also pretty proud of the list and how well the sideboard worked, considering I had to come up with the numbers myself with little to no reference. I boarded in the tarmogoyf/rock package a LOT and won a ton of games because people boarded in for pure turbo depths and couldn't beat what became a rock deck that sometimes found combo instead game 2/3. Chrome mox should never be unbanned, also dig through time is a stupid bullshit card that should never get unbanned.

My only losses were in rounds 1 and 3, once against twin, which I feel I was pretty favored against but drew poorly, and once against colorless eldrazi, which I also think I'm favored against but sometimes they go full ham on you and you just can't deal. I felt pretty bummed out being 1-2, and then somehow managed to win 10 matches in a row to get #2 seed and double draw into top 8, still at #2 seed. I got paired against my housemate of all people, the one person I had tested against the most. In our testing I won a large majority of the games and felt pretty favored, but game 1 he had a hand with eye and multiple mimics + t2 TKS and I didn't find combo fast enough. Game 2 we ground out the match and I won with a marit lage after controlling the board. Game 3 I controlled the board for a while and sacced a LotV to ult it, feeling pretty good... and then drew absolutely nothing for 4 turns while he reassembled and played an endless one too big for my goyf to handle. Feels bad having somewhere around 15 outs in your deck to his one giant thing and not finding it, but that's the game sometimes. He lost his next round against a mirror where he just drew a bit slower.

List is here: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/121622

Only change I made before the event was adding a single Geth's Verdict to the sideboard as an instant speed answer in the mirror match, also came in useful against colorless eldrazi decks. They made a mistake in my sideboard, the LotV in the sideboard is supposed to be Liliana, the Last Hope. Didn't see as much pyro/delver as I was hoping to get full use of that card but it was ok against affinity and won a game against a control deck where he couldn't stop me from ulting. Wouldn't change anything based on what happened this weekend. Also mental misstep wasn't a huge player in the top tables at all, and hypergenesis was almost nonexistent after day 1, and not very present day 2. Deck is a false boogeyman and isn't that great.

Overall the event was a lot of fun, I enjoyed actually using the banned cards, and it would be fun to do maybe twice a year. I also sold 3 of my chrome moxes to a vendor for more than I paid for them and treated myself to some nice foils so the event was a big win overall. I didn't write down what I played each round and how each match went so i don't have specifics, sorry. I figured it wasn't too relevant for an event that only happened once. I know I played against Ross Merriam on twin and won through blood moons games 2 and 3, played 2 other twin decks, played colorless eldrazi 2 times, UW eldrazi once, taxes once, infect, affinity, the mirror twice, and punishing fire jund once.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 11, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
MTGGoldfish actually posted the top 25(???) from that event and yeah it's Eldrazi for days-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-modern-open-roanoke-2018-06-10#paper

I'm a little surprised that Depths is as strong as it is TBH. Don't people play Path, or is it not played widely enough when there's no ban list shaping your deck choices?

E: When you did see SFM, do you recall what they were tutoring up? Just Jitte, or did Batterskull also show up?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 11, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Trip report: SCGcon, NBL Open

Things I learned: the banlist is good and most of it needs to stay exactly the way it is. Also this event reaffirmed my position that SFM is a fine card, it wasn't good enough at all for the event and the 1 or 2 times I played against it I was able to work around it just fine. IMO eye of ugin is more degenerate than dark depths, but both can never be unbanned. Depths at least requires some build around, eye is just irritating. Eldrazi was there in huge numbers and was also probably the best deck, or at least a top 3 choice, although the top 8 numbers had as much to do with how saturated the field was with eldrazi as it did anything else. I also think white eldrazi decks are the best, and people just played it safe with the colorless ones. Super happy with my deck choice and had an absolute blast playing it and now I'm sad I can't play it again. Also pretty proud of the list and how well the sideboard worked, considering I had to come up with the numbers myself with little to no reference. I boarded in the tarmogoyf/rock package a LOT and won a ton of games because people boarded in for pure turbo depths and couldn't beat what became a rock deck that sometimes found combo instead game 2/3. Chrome mox should never be unbanned, also dig through time is a stupid bullshit card that should never get unbanned.

My only losses were in rounds 1 and 3, once against twin, which I feel I was pretty favored against but drew poorly, and once against colorless eldrazi, which I also think I'm favored against but sometimes they go full ham on you and you just can't deal. I felt pretty bummed out being 1-2, and then somehow managed to win 10 matches in a row to get #2 seed and double draw into top 8, still at #2 seed. I got paired against my housemate of all people, the one person I had tested against the most. In our testing I won a large majority of the games and felt pretty favored, but game 1 he had a hand with eye and multiple mimics + t2 TKS and I didn't find combo fast enough. Game 2 we ground out the match and I won with a marit lage after controlling the board. Game 3 I controlled the board for a while and sacced a LotV to ult it, feeling pretty good... and then drew absolutely nothing for 4 turns while he reassembled and played an endless one too big for my goyf to handle. Feels bad having somewhere around 15 outs in your deck to his one giant thing and not finding it, but that's the game sometimes. He lost his next round against a mirror where he just drew a bit slower.

List is here: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/121622

Only change I made before the event was adding a single Geth's Verdict to the sideboard as an instant speed answer in the mirror match, also came in useful against colorless eldrazi decks. They made a mistake in my sideboard, the LotV in the sideboard is supposed to be Liliana, the Last Hope. Didn't see as much pyro/delver as I was hoping to get full use of that card but it was ok against affinity and won a game against a control deck where he couldn't stop me from ulting. Wouldn't change anything based on what happened this weekend. Also mental misstep wasn't a huge player in the top tables at all, and hypergenesis was almost nonexistent after day 1, and not very present day 2. Deck is a false boogeyman and isn't that great.

Overall the event was a lot of fun, I enjoyed actually using the banned cards, and it would be fun to do maybe twice a year. I also sold 3 of my chrome moxes to a vendor for more than I paid for them and treated myself to some nice foils so the event was a big win overall. I didn't write down what I played each round and how each match went so i don't have specifics, sorry. I figured it wasn't too relevant for an event that only happened once. I know I played against Ross Merriam on twin and won through blood moons games 2 and 3, played 2 other twin decks, played colorless eldrazi 2 times, UW eldrazi once, taxes once, infect, affinity, the mirror twice, and punishing fire jund once.

congrats on the top 8 man. Did your roommate win or lose to the guy who won?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

congrats on the top 8 man. Did your roommate win or lose to the guy who won?

We actually both beat that guy in swiss rounds, but in the top 8 my roommate (Cody) lost to the guy who won.

C-Euro posted:

MTGGoldfish actually posted the top 25(???) from that event and yeah it's Eldrazi for days-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-modern-open-roanoke-2018-06-10#paper

I'm a little surprised that Depths is as strong as it is TBH. Don't people play Path, or is it not played widely enough when there's no ban list shaping your deck choices?

E: When you did see SFM, do you recall what they were tutoring up? Just Jitte, or did Batterskull also show up?

It's not a path heavy format, there aren't really any great white decks. The white eldrazi matchups felt terrible as a depths player, but those I won with the alternate sideboard plan or utilizing life from the loam. I figured path wouldn't be too popular because the only good white deck would either be eldrazi or miracles, and everyone was terrified of misstep and chalice. Eldrazi was the deck I predicted would be most popular and depths has a lot of game against it. Lot of people just can't do anything about a turn 2 lage, although I didn't turn 2 anyone at all during swiss and only did it turn 3 a handful of times.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
are the snow lands just protection against LD? outside of skred I dont really know why people use them

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AkumaHokoru posted:

are the snow lands just protection against LD? outside of skred I dont really know why people use them

Depends on the rest of the deck, in the case of those NBL Depths lists it's so that they can tutor for colored mana with Into the North. Outside of that, a lot of people run them just because. You could also get tricky and search for both Mountain and Snow-covered Mountain with something like Gifts Ungiven but that has...limited use.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AkumaHokoru posted:

People play with them for the same reason people insist on playing lands from Beta or Unhinged--because they can.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Star Man posted:

People play with them for the same reason people insist on playing lands from Beta or Unhinged--because they can.

There's definitely real reasons to run snow lands outside of skred, such as mentioned above. Also, it's an easy way to gently caress with miracles players playing predict

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Also on MTGO you just type "snow" and it brings them up instead of having to type the name of the basics you want.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We need a new snow-themed set just so they can print Snow-Covered Wastes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I'm just guessing, but the first Depths list I looked at had 6 discard spells and 4 misstep.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Star Man posted:

We need a new snow-themed set just so they can print Snow-Covered Wastes.

Duel Decks: Eldrazi Winter

(both decks would be the same, good self-effacing meta joke and opportunity to print snow-covered wastes)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 13, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

you could fetch mouth of ronom or whatever if you need to get colorless mana with Into the North, why do you need Snow-covered Wastes?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Blood Moon.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I've nearly run out of "cheap" cards for my Paradoxical Storm vintage deck. A few more RL cards to go before moving onto power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheAsterite posted:

I've nearly run out of "cheap" cards for my Paradoxical Storm vintage deck. A few more RL cards to go before moving onto power.

It's a dark road