Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I died when Xom turned a Catoblepas that had just petrified me into an Azure Jelly, then berserked it :shepicide:

100 > 0, I never even got to move haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mystery Prize posted:

So as it would turn out, the Mana Shield and Powered by Pain Demonspawn mutations are pretty absurd together. Spirit Shield is already a great ability, and I regenerate a ton of MP whenever I get hit sufficiently hard. I'm pure melee but have been leveling Spellcasting just for more max MP.
I'd recommend training invo for this instead on a god that uses it because it'll be something you use besides for max MP, and also Ds have +3 invo

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Xom is a pal.

quote:

"Ye need some minor improvemn'ts, mortal!!!"
Yer body be suffused wit' distortional energy!
_Ye feel frail! x3

I'm a tengu, too. :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

IronicDongz posted:

I'd recommend training invo for this instead on a god that uses it because it'll be something you use besides for max MP, and also Ds have +3 invo
I looked at this and thought "no way. no way" so I looked it up and, lo and behold, invo and evo raise mp

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
They sure do! Presumbly for invo it's because god abilities can use MP, although I'm less sure about evo. (handy in case of wandmut? :v:)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I looked at this and thought "no way. no way" so I looked it up and, lo and behold, invo and evo raise mp

Note that the MP granted by invocations and evocations are less than spellcasting. For calculating max mp the game uses your highest stat of those 3. However invocation and evocations get divided by 2 for those calculations, while spellcasting remains normal.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

After killing this crimson imp, I now have the weirdest Transmuter in town. He's holding the Obsidian Axe.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

It's like you're really a vine stalker :v:

Get your hands on an antimagic weapon and you will be vinestalker++

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Carcer posted:

Get your hands on an antimagic weapon and you will be vinestalker++

Except for the part where you lose a bunch of max MP, anyway.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Monkey posted:

This is to prevent people from using acquirement to get good equipment in a way that could be 'cheesy' or possibly to accrue minor amounts of xp without danger in some edge cases.

wait, is this actually serious or are you just shitposting

if that's actually serious, what the actual blistering gently caress

acquirement is so ungodly loving rare that burning a scroll and getting something cruddy actually really, really sucks. they're like potions of experience; they're supposed to be a little OP, because it's counterbalanced by the fact that you might find maybe like two of them in a 3-rune, tops.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
of course that's not serious, how could acquirement having a chance to be bad "prevent people from using acquirement to get good equipment in a way that could be 'cheesy'"

I don't even get what the bit about XP is supposed to mean

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Acquirement historically was (and still is) kind of a mess in terms of how it works and how to maximize its usefulness, but -6 gloves just sounds like a lovely randart which happens sometimes

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

They sure do! Presumbly for invo it's because god abilities can use MP, although I'm less sure about evo. (handy in case of wandmut? :v:)

Probably because of activated item effects like invisibility.

There should be more of those abilities, there's only rage, invisibility, flight, randarts with blink, and the handful of fixedarts with special evocations. Instead of gloves of archery, gloves of portal projectile. Boots of swiftness. Singing hat of slaying!

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

This would have been a great idea, if I were not worshiping The Best God, Xom :v:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Darox posted:

Probably because of activated item effects like invisibility.

There should be more of those abilities, there's only rage, invisibility, flight, randarts with blink, and the handful of fixedarts with special evocations. Instead of gloves of archery, gloves of portal projectile. Boots of swiftness. Singing hat of slaying!

I do like this application of evocations better than wands. Wands are fine, but there are so many of them. Finding a nice piece of evocable gear early on can be game-defining.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I do like this application of evocations better than wands. Wands are fine, but there are so many of them. Finding a nice piece of evocable gear early on can be game-defining.

This sounds really really cool. Finding artifacts and gear with abilities attached to them is some of the most fun parts of the game for me, and adding more variety and abilities to gear would make this even more rewarding.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bring back boots of jumping and boots of the spider.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
one issue with adding more activated abilities is overloading the player with options (very traditional crawl problem). remember the old random flame breath/poison spit muts, or the current blink mut? how often do you actually remember to use those?

the other issue is coming up with good and interesting active effects, which, ah, spiderboots weren't

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I didn't use the flame/poison spit mutations not because I forgot about them but because they always seemed really weak, so why waste additional keypresses and irl time using them

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IronicDongz posted:

of course that's not serious, how could acquirement having a chance to be bad "prevent people from using acquirement to get good equipment in a way that could be 'cheesy'"

I don't even get what the bit about XP is supposed to mean

The bit about XP in my post or theirs? I was likening it to a potion of XP because they're both crazy powerful consumables that are basically counterbalanced by being rare as hen's teeth.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I didn't use the flame/poison spit mutations not because I forgot about them but because they always seemed really weak, so why waste additional keypresses and irl time using them

This was the larger issue with them. Why roll the dice and maybe poison something a little if I can just smash them in the face with a mace or hot them with a fireball?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I remember blink all the time. I just am bad at crawl.

On that note, will you tell the Devs to stop making the game harder?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The bit about XP in my post or theirs? I was likening it to a potion of XP because they're both crazy powerful consumables that are basically counterbalanced by being rare as hen's teeth.
Theirs. But fwiw XP potions are way more rare than acq, you usually get a couple acq scrolls in a 3 rune game but you normally never see XP potions outside of zigs

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It's me, I'm the person who uses breath spit thingies et al and was mad they were removed

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

yeah, they had the additional problem of trying to be in the same order of magnitude of power as other goodmuts (e.g. '+2 str'), so a single level couldn't be very good (and you weren't likely to get multiple levels!)

item egos can at least be a little better than that

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A few splats ago, I found a Xom vault where he booms "WORSHIP ME, MORTAL, AND I SHALL GRANT YOU THE GREATEST GIFT OF ALL."' Tempting, but I was already worshipping a god.

I look up the vault out of curiosity, and...
code:
     dgn.create_monster(pos[1].x, pos[1].y, "generate_awake att:good_neutral goblin")
    crawl.god_speaks("Xom", 'A goblin pops into existence! It looks at you'
                     .. ' with admiration.')
    crawl.god_speaks("Xom", '"Friendship. The greatest gift is friendship!"')
:allears:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Improved Hopkins have my tentative seal of approval. I started a Barachian Ice Elementalist, and ended up worshipping Cheibriados and wielding a +5 rapier of venom (thanks Eustachio). In addition to the usual early game suspects I trained a bit of stealth.

I ended up dying in Lair when I made the mistake of trying to hop towards a manticore in order to stab it, only to find out that there was a hippogriff nearby. I quaffed invisibility and they made four attacks against me, two of which hit and killed me. There were four or six clear mistakes, and surprisingly I didn't consider choosing to worship Cheibriados to be one of them.
  • Early hop is inaccurate and somewhat unreliable, but it definitely gives you time to burn a little more magic on Throw Icicle or Throw Frost, depending on how much distance I open up.
  • Temporal Distortion would have opened up enough distance to effectively use my magic.
  • Fear would have saved my rear end, I had four scrolls - I just overestimated invisibility while aiming for stabs. Since I was next door, they guessed pretty drat well where I was.
  • Or TD followed by Slouch, I guess.

I don't know if Hopkin Fighters will still be boring as gently caress, but they have the apts to spread out in a few interesting directions from there. It's an interesting match to IE. Next time, I'll try Summoner with most likely Sif.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
So I'm really new (though I've played this before in the past I had no idea what I was doing then either) but I love this game! It feels so much more accessible than the other roguelikes I've played in the past.

So I just found a giant room full of mace weapons on level 7, some seem to be glowing/enchanted, one of them was "the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter}". One of them says it's transparent? I can't seem to find what a transparent weapon is or does. I'm also curious why I found a room full of the same weapon (happening to be the one I use as a Gargoyle Fighter!)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Darius099 posted:

So I'm really new (though I've played this before in the past I had no idea what I was doing then either) but I love this game! It feels so much more accessible than the other roguelikes I've played in the past.

So I just found a giant room full of mace weapons on level 7, some seem to be glowing/enchanted, one of them was "the +6 shillelagh "Devastator" {shatter}". One of them says it's transparent? I can't seem to find what a transparent weapon is or does. I'm also curious why I found a room full of the same weapon (happening to be the one I use as a Gargoyle Fighter!)
The shillelagh is an unrandart, an un-random-artifact. It's one of a handful of artifacts that sometimes show up. It's very rare to get one that early! It does aoe explosion damage on attack and may be a very, very good weapon for you. (Unless the shatter explosion does a ton of damage to gargoyles, which I'm not sure if it does.)

The room full of maces is leading up to Crazy Yiuf. He loves maces.

"Transparent" is just a random descriptor for artifacts.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

The shillelagh is an unrandart, an un-random-artifact. It's one of a handful of artifacts that sometimes show up. It's very rare to get one that early! It does aoe explosion damage on attack and may be a very, very good weapon for you. (Unless the shatter explosion does a ton of damage to gargoyles, which I'm not sure if it does.)

The room full of maces is leading up to Crazy Yiuf. He loves maces.

"Transparent" is just a random descriptor for artifacts.

Ah! I totally murdered Yiuf. He was tough, but not as tough as the Orc Priest's I've fought, they killed my last 2 characters.

I also found what appears to be a random artefact?

"the +7 mace "Killer Klown's Curse" (weapon) {pain, rF+}

Base acc +3, Base dmg: 8, Base attack delay: 1.4 Minimum attack delay 0.7
In the hands of one skilled in necromantic magic, it inflicts extra damage on living creatures.
It protects you from fire.

Not sure if that's better. I'm certainly not skilled in necromantic magic, haha.

EDIT: Man, this Shillelagh is insane! It's like literally one shotting everything I swing on.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 28, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Darius099 posted:

Ah! I totally murdered Yiuf. He was tough, but not as tough as the Orc Priest's I've fought, they killed my last 2 characters.

I also found what appears to be a random artefact?

"the +7 mace "Killer Klown's Curse" (weapon) {pain, rF+}

Base acc +3, Base dmg: 8, Base attack delay: 1.4 Minimum attack delay 0.7
In the hands of one skilled in necromantic magic, it inflicts extra damage on living creatures.
It protects you from fire.

Not sure if that's better. I'm certainly not skilled in necromantic magic, haha.

EDIT: Man, this Shillelagh is insane! It's like literally one shotting everything I swing on.

Don't stop riding the Devastator until you find a great mace and get enough M&F skill or a demon whip/eveningstar, you will never know when you are likely to get another opportunity.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Pain brand is nutty but only if you actually train necro for it. If you have no plans to do that (and you shouldn't, with the shillelagh) then just use your explodey mace.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pain brand is nutty but only if you actually train necro for it. If you have no plans to do that (and you shouldn't, with the shillelagh) then just use your explodey mace.

Also even with the pain brand and trained necro, maces are pretty lousy and enemies will become increasingly unsusceptible to pain as the game goes on anyways.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Haifisch posted:

A few splats ago, I found a Xom vault where he booms "WORSHIP ME, MORTAL, AND I SHALL GRANT YOU THE GREATEST GIFT OF ALL."' Tempting, but I was already worshipping a god.

I look up the vault out of curiosity, and...
code:
     dgn.create_monster(pos[1].x, pos[1].y, "generate_awake att:good_neutral goblin")
    crawl.god_speaks("Xom", 'A goblin pops into existence! It looks at you'
                     .. ' with admiration.')
    crawl.god_speaks("Xom", '"Friendship. The greatest gift is friendship!"')
:allears:

That was inspired by discussion in this very thread! It is up there with the sheep explosion altar. :allears:

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

Don't stop riding the Devastator until you find a great mace and get enough M&F skill or a demon whip/eveningstar, you will never know when you are likely to get another opportunity.

That's my plan! I found a shrine of Hepliaklqana and decided he seemed like a cool dude, so now I have an ancestor following me around all the time. It gets pretty annoying telling the game "Yes, I'm sure I want to attack with my ally this close" all the time, though.

What's a really good M&F skill?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Darius099 posted:

That's my plan! I found a shrine of Hepliaklqana and decided he seemed like a cool dude, so now I have an ancestor following me around all the time. It gets pretty annoying telling the game "Yes, I'm sure I want to attack with my ally this close" all the time, though.

What's a really good M&F skill?

16 is minimum attack delay for an Eveningstar, the most powerful (though not necessarily best) 1h mace. 14 for the dire flail (most common 2h) and demon whip/sacred scourge (the other best 1h, lower damage but much faster attacking so if branded for damage, very nice), 20 for the great mace (rarer/stronger 2h)

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

LordSloth posted:

Improved Hopkins have my tentative seal of approval. I started a Barachian Ice Elementalist, and ended up worshipping Cheibriados and wielding a +5 rapier of venom (thanks Eustachio). In addition to the usual early game suspects I trained a bit of stealth.

Barachian of Chei works pretty well, though I think the new apts opens up more gods for hopkins. They have near-universally strong apts so I was thinking Vehumet to partially offset their increased LOS problems by having increased spell range. They should be able to cast level 9 spells in a 3-rune game while being fairly robust (worst case maybe dip into a Zig to get some potions of experience).

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I got real close today. I was in the lower right part of the lungs and got jumped by some scary fireball monsters all of a sudden.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Crimson Harvest posted:

I got real close today. I was in the lower right part of the lungs and got jumped by some scary fireball monsters all of a sudden.

Orbs of Fire are by far the strongest enemies encountered in a 3 rune game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I lasted what felt like a long time against them but I'm not sure I landed a single solid hit on any of 'em. Also I was somewhat surrounded by invisible dudes at the same time so whatever. Next time, I'll do a lot more kiting.

• Locked thread