Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Death Bot posted:

"White people do a bad job and harm non-whites" "like hell we do! Here comes the doxx"

:confused:

Are you really surprised by a complete lack of self-awareness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Not sure how many of these I could drink in one session

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

Has... has no one ever told them he's not real!?

To be fair St. Nick was a real dude, who was Greek. I don't think there are that many Greeks in the US to have a totally authentic Santa so they might have to settle for Mexican mall-Santas if they're that keen on matching colours.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

LunarShadow posted:

One of those times I am glad that my real name is hard as gently caress to google.

I'd be geniunely shocked if even the best doxxer could find anything useful on me since I don't use social media and don't generally disclose personal info online, plus I use a different name/nick on each service I use online (email/steam/this site/etc). So good luck with that.

That said, as a well armed person with a concealed carry permit, I would be delighted if some racist shitheel lurking here did doxx and find/confront/threaten me.

It also warms my heart to know that this thread is that upsetting to peckerwoods. Anything that makes them uncomfortable is good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paramilitary Egyptologists.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'd be geniunely shocked if even the best doxxer could find anything useful on me since I don't use social media and don't generally disclose personal info online, plus I use a different name/nick on each service I use online (email/steam/this site/etc). So good luck with that.

That said, as a well armed person with a concealed carry permit, I would be delighted if some racist shitheel lurking here did doxx and find/confront/threaten me.

It also warms my heart to know that this thread is that upsetting to peckerwoods. Anything that makes them uncomfortable is good.

Those last two bits are also true here.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Koalas March posted:

Quick heads up: Apparently someone has threatened to doxx posters in this thread. Please go ahead and take whatever precautions you need to just to be on the safe side.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hello yes, my name is Donald Trump and you can send your death threats to me at the Whitehouse. Make sure you include your full name and address to make it really intimidating.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Quick heads up: Apparently someone has threatened to doxx posters in this thread. Please go ahead and take whatever precautions you need to just to be on the safe side.

I find it fascinating that anyone can possibly care this much about what other people say on the internet. Also that they have nothing better to do.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OgreNoah posted:

I find it fascinating that anyone can possibly care this much about what other people say on the internet. Also that they have nothing better to do.

Right? Or that anything being said here is that threatening!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Majorian posted:

Right? Or that anything being said here is that threatening!

If anything Id expect the Internet critic thread or trump c spam thread to get doxx threats.

Also,
https://mobile.twitter.com/taysymonee/status/819767935594065920

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
A reminder that Idris Elba is pretty awesome (and can be your date for the night if you have enough bank):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vHfdla3I9do

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

HotCanadianChick posted:

Didn't you post your name and SSN on an xray pic in CA??

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

lohli posted:

To be fair St. Nick was a real dude, who was Greek. I don't think there are that many Greeks in the US to have a totally authentic Santa so they might have to settle for Mexican mall-Santas if they're that keen on matching colours.

I don't know, our local Greek Orthodox community has St. Nick in all his robed and mitered glory show up at their festival. But to bring it back around to the AA community, here's a story about the 7th Ward Santa who's been at it for 45 years. http://jezebel.com/tons-of-kids-have-photos-with-new-orleans-black-7th-war-1790441109

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

That is pretty bad. But the top comment is awesome

quote:

If there were a Santa Claus, there is very little doubt that he would have to be white. After all, no black man could manage to work only one day out of the year and not be called lazy; and surely no black man could get away with breaking into millions of homes, even if he was bearing presents. Some cop or neighborhood watch captain would surely have taken him down long ago, convinced that the red suit he was wearing signified gang colors

also:

HotCanadianChick posted:

A reminder that Idris Elba is pretty awesome (and can be your date for the night if you have enough bank):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vHfdla3I9do

He is pretty drat hot. Is this the white genocide I feel coming upon me?

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 15, 2017

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Majorian posted:

Yeah, it's just kind of lovely that people tend to overlook the Copts, when, you know. They have arguably the best claim to being descendants of pharaohs.

e: That's all I'm basically saying here - pity the Copts. God knows they deserve some recognition.

We dont need your pity. As far as religious and ethnic minorities go we've had a prosperous run and ended up much luckier than most. We're the inheritors to a legacy of scholarship, architecture, and exploration that stretches back further than almost any other. Even when it was under Roman, Mamluk, Ottoman, French, British, or even Albanian foreign rule Copts have had a home on the banks of the Nile for the better part of 10,000 years.

Funny story, Mamluk Sultans were famous for ceremonially dismissing Coptic bureaucrats or civil servants under religious pretexts (often there would also be political reasons) only to quietly re-hire them almost immediately when the court's attention had turned elsewhere. Even today when sectarian conflicts are tearing apart the Middle East and North Africa, neither myself or anyone in my family has ever been made to feel unsafe in Cairo. Even the Richest family in Egypt are Coptic.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

OwlFancier posted:

Paramilitary Egyptologists.

Mods, name change please

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

We dont need your pity.

"Pity" was a bad word on my part; sorry about that. The perils of phone posting. I should have said "spare a thought for the Copts."

And I had no idea you were one! That's really cool.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

With it mentioned, the people doing the lame doxx poo poo aren't just doing it to this thread, the trans thread had to be hidden because of these dumbfucks and they're apparently up to similarly creepy stuff about the lady crew people and all that too.

Not like that diminishes the terrible thought in the first place, but I mean I guess take some minute solace in that it's not specially about this place? They're just stupid assholes in general. :smith:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm not too worried. As long as you don't post personal info on the forums, you'll be fine. Anytime you're online you need to take certain precautions. I think posters here will be alright.

And honestly, I don't want this to cast a cloud over negrotown.

Keep chatting, debating and enjoying your time here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg58d8opQKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kga2soqvMF0

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Yardbomb posted:

With it mentioned, the people doing the lame doxx poo poo aren't just doing it to this thread, the trans thread had to be hidden because of these dumbfucks and they're apparently up to similarly creepy stuff about the lady crew people and all that too.

Not like that diminishes the terrible thought in the first place, but I mean I guess take some minute solace in that it's not specially about this place? They're just stupid assholes in general. :smith:

Well no. They're the kind of assholes who target women, queers, and POC. That's not general, even if it's common.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

lohli posted:

Santa Claus is only loosely based on St. Nick anyway. I'm sure the real St. Nick never even saw a reindeer. There really is no reason why you could'nt have a black Santa.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://mobile.twitter.com/befourisleep/status/820132821335470080

Shame on Spiderman for letting his secret slip and shame on his sister for doxxing Spiderman.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Santa Claus is only loosely based on St. Nick anyway. I'm sure the real St. Nick never even saw a reindeer. There really is no reason why you could'nt have a black Santa.

If memory serves Santa Claus as Americans know him is ultimately based on the Dutch character, which is an amalgamation of St. Nicholas and Father Christmas which was an English thing. The Dutch character is called "Sinterklass" or "Sinterklaus" or something like that and looks more like a cardinal with a huge white beard than Santa as we know him. The American Santa looks more like Father Christmas.

Father Christmas has his origins in very old folklore from the English Isles which is pagan as hell. Seems to be a common thing in Christian white people culture; take something somebody else made, appropriate it, then be all like "no we totally came up with this on our own!" Santa, like many things Christmas, is really a pagan thing in the end and not Christian at all. Christmas itself isn't even in the right time of year if you go by when Jesus was born. There's also no actual record of his birthday.

In a way it's white people appropriating white people culture but it also shows the friction between Germanic pagan stuff and Christian Europe doing its thing. Which is bizarre when you consider that white supremacists consider Germanic peoples to be the best when the origins of American culture, when traced back, are Italian as hell thanks to Rome and its shenanigans.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 15, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

To me this mostly says how stupid ideas about black, white, and cultural appropriation in general are.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lohli posted:

To me this mostly says how stupid ideas about black, white, and cultural appropriation in general are.

It's true! Racism is incredibly stupid.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Koalas March posted:

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

my dad posted:

Hi Negrotown thread. This has happened before in the old feminism thread. Please do not underestimate how dangerous this poo poo can be. A friend of mine was stalked for the crime of posting while female and had to delete her Facebook and Google+ accounts to protect herself. Something similar will happen to you if you are not careful. Please stay safe.

So I take it this is supposed to harass the black posters back into staying silent while some forums user(s) can go back to indulging in unironic racism and bad faith arguing without feeling threatened?

HotCanadianChick posted:

Be careful. An idiot who isn't above doxxing forums members isn't above swatting them, either.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Coca Cola popularised the look of modern santa claus with the red + white outfit and white beard.

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-lore-santa-claus

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

JFairfax posted:

Coca Cola popularised the look of modern santa claus with the red + white outfit and white beard.

Yeah it's actually kinda crazy how we owe todays image of Santa Clause to coca cola of all people. I'd say its the most successful marketing campaign since the DeBeers managed to convince people diamonds were valuable

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ugh, edit is not quote

McCloud fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 16, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

lohli posted:

How convenient. They may be stupid to you, but a lot of us take pride in our culture and that it has endured despite how strongly others try to steal it or destroy it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

lohli posted:

Pretty sure you weren't welcome here anymore.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Ehhhhhhh...Coke likes to claim that, but they kind of overstate their case. This is an actual cover from a magazine from 1902:

I love that Saint Nicholas of Myra probably looked like an olive-skinned, dark-eyed Eastern Mediterranean dude (since that's what he was), and therefore most racists would probably assume he was a terrorist.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 16, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Domestic Amuse posted:

Be careful. An idiot who isn't above doxxing forums members isn't above swatting them, either.

From what I've read the folks doing this seem to be leaning pretty heavily on the "This information is public, we're doing nothing illegal so you can't stop us!" so I doubt they'd rock the boat with something they can get into serious trouble for.

blackguy32 posted:

How convenient. They may be stupid to you, but a lot of us take pride in our culture and that it has endured despite how strongly others try to steal it or destroy it.

I was referring more to the issue of white-Santa and the history/origins of the tradition being from what is considered nowadays to be the "white" part of the world, despite all of those parts of the world the tradition has hopped between historically not really identifying strongly with eachother outside of religion and having cultural elements that have at times overlapped but have for the most part been distinct, and with the peoples also considering themselves to be distinct rather than some kind of cultural monolith. And the issue of appropriation being what I think is a terribly tribalistic approach to notions of who is entitled to be influenced or affected by culture.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lohli posted:

From what I've read the folks doing this seem to be leaning pretty heavily on the "This information is public, we're doing nothing illegal so you can't stop us!" so I doubt they'd rock the boat with something they can get into serious trouble for.

I was referring more to the issue of white-Santa and the history/origins of the tradition being from what is considered nowadays to be the "white" part of the world, despite all of those parts of the world the tradition has hopped between historically not really identifying strongly with eachother outside of religion and having cultural elements that have at times overlapped but have for the most part been distinct, and with the peoples also considering themselves to be distinct rather than some kind of cultural monolith. And the issue of appropriation being what I think is a terribly tribalistic approach to notions of who is entitled to be influenced or affected by culture.

Then you have a very poor understanding of cultural appropriation as a concept, and I'd strongly advise you to do some reading before you come in all judgmental. We'll let you know when we next have a shortage of people who have very strong opinions about stuff they're only vaguely familiar with, but at the moment, there's a bit of a queue.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Checking out the Sunday paper to see what's going on...

Mayor Kasim Reed, backed by local officials, congressmen, and community leaders, declares a city-wide state of gently caress YOU.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

there wolf posted:

Mayor Kasim Reed, backed by local officials, congressmen, and community leaders, declares a city-wide state of gently caress YOU.

I love this so much. I am sad that I am about 10 miles too far south to be in Lewis's district.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

there wolf posted:

A shame Lewis is so drat old; if he were younger and played his cards right, he might have been able to parlay this into a drat strong run for president.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Taerkar posted:

Are you really surprised by a complete lack of self-awareness?

Alas, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Happy MLK Day, Negrotown!

• Locked thread