Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is that the same guy who used to write The Long View blog? I miss that

edit: guess not, but if you liked that check out http://basalgangster.macgui.com/RetroMacComputing/The_Long_View/Entries/2010/4/17_OpenDoc.html

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Cat Hassler posted:

lol I worked on an emergency OLE demo for Bill G to give at Comdex in 1992. We had to outsource getting a Starbucks logo turned into a digital image. In the demo there was a Starbucks coffee mug embedded that when clicked on would play the sound of coffee pouring but everyone laughed because it sounded like someone peeing

did get a thank you email from Bill

back in the nineties comdex was a semi-annual trade show
where cat the hassler worked on an emergency ole demo

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
So I recently asked copilot to build me a model of baller, allen, and gates so I can understand why bill tried to steal the company from his best friend. I told it to include something called "ethical mana"

With no prompting it gave bill gates half the ethical mana of paul allen and ballmer was somewhere in between. Even copilot knows Bill is a dick.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I am OLE, he is COM

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oops

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

did you select a line of text next to a bullet point or numbered list? don't worry, we'll make it a bullet point or numbered item no matter what you're pasting it into!

like, holy gently caress, i would like software to stop guessing what i'm trying to do

just loving don't

use vim

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Origin posted:

it had to have come back sometime around the 6.0 days. i had it on my 486 that shipped with 6.0 and win 3.1.

i used to call it dos hell.

i remember it being available on at least one of my win 3.x systems too, but i have no idea if that was an OEM add-in or anything. i didn't have any IBM computers until much later, though. by the time i got a thinkpad (with win 98), dos was nearly on its way out the door entirely

but it also could've just been a remnant from a dos 5.x upgrade or something too i guess. idk, it's kinda hard to remember how i had things set up as a literal child nearly 30 years ago lol

there were also a bunch of competitors to ole at the time, opendoc, basically

see: https://oldvcr.blogspot.com/2023/10/teaching-apple-cyberdog-10-new-tricks.html

opendoc was pretty drat cool, too bad programming for it was such a nightmare

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cat Hassler posted:

lol I worked on an emergency OLE demo for Bill G to give at Comdex in 1992. We had to outsource getting a Starbucks logo turned into a digital image. In the demo there was a Starbucks coffee mug embedded that when clicked on would play the sound of coffee pouring but everyone laughed because it sounded like someone peeing

did get a thank you email from Bill

bill “here comes my piss!” gates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

~Coxy posted:

Is that the same guy who used to write The Long View blog? I miss that

edit: guess not, but if you liked that check out http://basalgangster.macgui.com/RetroMacComputing/The_Long_View/Entries/2010/4/17_OpenDoc.html

thanks! i love this stuff

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

but Windows is going to whine and cry at me because I don’t have their most aggressive energy saving power plan selected

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Branch Nvidian posted:

but Windows is going to whine and cry at me because I don’t have their most aggressive energy saving power plan selected

everyone has to do their part while microsoft burns gigawatts to run spicy autocomplete extensions in products you've never even heard of

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Branch Nvidian posted:

I believe windows uses the data from that to in a small percentage add or remove to their corporate emissions, hence.

But it is true most people used to keep their computers at full blast everything while searching on google, mostly because older computers were slow to ramp up and down their power saving which was pretty bad if you were running productivity or gaming as it'd lag then not lag then start lagging as it thought you were donme with your resource intensive task.

but new systems do that seamlessly, however I believe the best option is balanced as that doesn't cap max anything, power saving does which will make people complain or promptly change it to high performance.

or if you go to the old control panel and change power plan to high performance ( different from the one you mentioned in windows 8/10/11 in settings which is actually called power mode lol) it turns off power modes and is at full blast 24/7.

so yeah lmao windows but the alternative is linux for pcs as hackintosh is dead.

in conclusion computers bad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://vmst.io/@jalefkowit/112441432214302110

quote:

If you're a developer who works on a machine running Windows 11 and whose work involves lots of operations across many small files -- think things like building/compiling, npm package updates, git commits, etc. -- Win11 has a feature that lets you carve out part of your storage as a "Dev Drive," using a different filesystem that's more optimized for file I/O than NTFS is. Microsoft estimates putting your code into a Dev Drive can speed up these operations by 25% or more.

*honking clown noises*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lmao
https://twitter.com/Zeko369/status/1791141890106290670

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://twitter.com/SauceX22/status/1791198493911949599

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i dont want my git pulls to go faster though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

paging shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its litterrally one of the worst parts of windows 11

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

oh my god lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

this is no surprise however

Shaggar posted:

its litterrally one of the worst parts of windows 11

but with so many bad parts it's hard to pick one in particular as the worst

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

instead of reading and writing files, NTFS is optimized for ...?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

new technology, it's in the name

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Clark Nova posted:

"anti-virus" software

although that's more to do with the design of nt's filesystem layer than ntfs specifically

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I wonder if windows antivirus scans waste more electricity than ai or crypto in tyool 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://x.com/aaronontheweb/status/1790719941282255251

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

"anti-virus" software

although that's more to do with the design of nt's filesystem layer than ntfs specifically

it boils down to like 95% bad tools w/ unoptimized/naive i/o and then like 5% defender scan on close. ntfs itself ends up being fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbKGw8MQ0i8

easier for microsoft to create a file system hack to workaround bad tools than get bad tool writers to fix their poo poo

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I will say that if the coworker was talking about the "have a list of web sites, sorted by category" part and not the visual design, yeah he's right that it's become utterly impossible. Hell, even if you magically threw out all the spam and trash sites, business culture has forgotten how to hire humans to do anything they automate to be worse but cheaper.

Also, I appreciate that you can tell what year that is just by the news headline up at the top.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

remember being tantalized by pages marked "Cool" or "Whats Hot" and always disappointed by the contents

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm telling you friend, stand up some off-the-shelf full text search cluster with a curated allowlist of domain names

be the change you want to see in the world. surely somebody somewhere is standing up something like this.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Akratic Method posted:

I will say that if the coworker was talking about the "have a list of web sites, sorted by category" part and not the visual design, yeah he's right that it's become utterly impossible. Hell, even if you magically threw out all the spam and trash sites, business culture has forgotten how to hire humans to do anything they automate to be worse but cheaper.

Also, I appreciate that you can tell what year that is just by the news headline up at the top.

https://x.com/JeremyTate41/status/1680356847306383360

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Akratic Method posted:

idk, if you hired enough competent people to curate the list of content then i don't think it'd be that difficult, but that concept is apparently completely foreign to today's tech companies (just have GPT do it!). the html/visual design is not difficult at all, either, but i'm sure management wouldn't be able to resist jamming a billion ads in there, making every other link some clickbait scam ad, and also making everything a referral link so they get a cut of the traffic

even if it were as barebones as the 1998 yahoo page though, it'd probably be sparse. the age of everyone having their own site is dead, universities don't even give people publicly accessible storage (that isn't from some stupid cloud vendor) anymore, so it'd probably be a bunch of corporate garbage you'd probably have to end up paying for to get what you really want

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cathedrals took like 50-200 years to build and that's if they didn't fall down or run out of money which they did a lot

definite survivorship bias in that example

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
we cant build cathedrals any more (please ignore the magnificent gaudi Sagrada Família cathedral currently finishing construction in barcelona right now)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

we absolutely know how to do it we just refuse to accept how labor intensive the work was and how long the timelines were.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

leave it to yospos to kill a good joke deader than the searchable web

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

leave it to yospos to kill a good joke deader than the searchable web

I completely forgot that meme post. :eng99:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

this is the microsoft thread, soul crushing ineptitude is par for the course

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

being future-proof against any possible corporate customer feature-request, from a 1980s vision of the future

Shaggar posted:

it boils down to like 95% bad tools w/ unoptimized/naive i/o and then like 5% defender scan on close. ntfs itself ends up being fine

easier for microsoft to create a file system hack to workaround bad tools than get bad tool writers to fix their poo poo

Dev Drives use ReFS specifically because NTFS sucks poo poo

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

being future-proof against any possible corporate customer feature-request, from a 1980s vision of the future

Dev Drives use ReFS specifically because NTFS sucks poo poo

no they use it because linux tools used on dev drives suck. refs has hacks to make bad tools perform better