Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nah, it will just get covered in paint. You can usually squish it back up and reuse it, but it will only last so long.

Yeah, I did this a bit when I was working on my Orks back in the day. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone else make their own washes? I picked up a bottle of matte medium and a dropper bottle to mix 1/2 water 1/2 medium in and add to any color to make it. Did the ratio sound good?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Anyone else make their own washes? I picked up a bottle of matte medium and a dropper bottle to mix 1/2 water 1/2 medium in and add to any color to make it. Did the ratio sound good?

I don't use water when I make my washes. Straight up just mix with medium.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

serious gaylord posted:

Well if that's what SRM does...

I tried doing the similar mixture with the wash I made. Will have to try straight medium next month.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

waah posted:

Well if that's what SRM does...

I tried doing the similar mixture with the wash I made. Will have to try straight medium next month.

I've never made my own washes :shrug: I just use the GW ones since they're comprehensive enough for my painting needs.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Recently I have been using the new GW washes becuase they are awesome, but with the old ones I made my own using the Les Bursely recipe. Make a mix of flow-aid, matte medium, and water, and then add ink to that to make washes. I dont remember the ratio but you can google "les bursely wash recipes" to find it.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Thanks! I was mostly afraid of some kind of reaction and my guys feet melting or something haha.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
When making your wash, remember to add the colour last. Its far too easy to put too much paint in, and end up having to use half a tube of medium/water to thin it out if you go paint first.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SRM posted:

I've never made my own washes :shrug: I just use the GW ones since they're comprehensive enough for my painting needs.

It was the same for me, but I recently tried the same method with a metallic medium to nice effect and figured it was worth a try rather than keeping an assortment of washes on hand.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just bought a couple of premade pasta sauces just to have the plastic pots, so I can expand my homemade wash set. The pasta pots are just the right size and much easier to open than a glass jar with a metal lid. Like everyone else I use Les Burley's recipes, but I also did a cost breakdown compared to GW's washes: http://tinyplasticspacemen.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/my-homemade-washes/

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

I'm confused. I thought a mediumy translucent coat was a glaze and a watery flow-into-cracks coat was a wash?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks LumberingTroll!

Any time, they look great!

signalnoise posted:

Hey man, my understanding is you actually make these things. Would you be willing to sell these as kits? I'd be willing to buy them if it means paying a reasonable price and not paying shipping from Australia.

Yep I sure do, I was thinking $20 per brick, + the flat rate shipping.

Thats cheaper than I can find any other laser cut paint rack, thoughts?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

LumberingTroll posted:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me :)

I will PM you when I have funds ready, that good?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

signalnoise posted:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me :)

I will PM you when I have funds ready, that good?

Yep sounds great, just let me know how many of each size you want, Small, Medium, and Large.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fyrbrand posted:

What specifically are you using for the lighting? My photo tent kit came with lighting, but it's garbage.

I use 3 pairs of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RKKEHA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AZOV9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I experimented a ton with placement, and the best setup for me is one on each side and the 3rd one shinning at the 'roof' of the light box from the inside (I hold this one in place for each shot). I also use 2 of them for when I paint.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I tend to do something like 1/5th flow improver, 2/5ths water, and 3/5ths medium. If you like your washes to be thicker (like GW washes) add more matte medium.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Just finished my test model for my German Panzergrenadiers.

I think I've struck a happy medium between quality and speed of painting with this one. C & C welcome, if you can even see anything in my lovely cell phone pic.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheBlobThing posted:

I think I've struck a happy medium between quality and speed of painting with this one. C & C welcome, if you can even see anything in my lovely cell phone pic.

Looks good - if you can knock out the rest at that quality, you've hit the nail in the head.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Holy poo poo that's great. If I could reliably paint 30mm models to that quality I'd be pleased, let alone 15mm ones!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Acrylic paint markers are loving rad!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheBlobThing posted:

drat son, that looks awesome!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Okay, so I traded some bits to another guy, and these are the materials I'm using for my entry into my FLGS's painting contest. It's going to be a looted Soul Grinder. Theme is over the top.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 2, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

LumberingTroll posted:

Can I pick your brains about laser cutting at all? :) got a lot of questions, would I be able to email you? :v:

Assuming that is that you have access to your own laser cutter, which I'm assuming you do because you're making these yourself :)

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll keep on trucking then :)

Edit:

thespaceinvader posted:

Holy poo poo that's great. If I could reliably paint 30mm models to that quality I'd be pleased, let alone 15mm ones!

For what it's worth, doing nice highlights on 15mm is considerably easier than 28mm. Because it's a smaller area you're working on, you don't need as many layers to make it look good. Just basic highlighting skills and an emphasis on contrast, and 15mm can look great.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 2, 2014

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Oh, I also got the painting on my dwarf cannon crew done. Apologies for the crappy cell phone pictures.

Just need to base them all, and I'll be ready to send them off to their intended recipient.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Sweet dwarves, JackMann! The beard on the blond guy (spotter?) is particularly subtle.

Crossposting from the Oath Thread: Extreme Eyestrain (Cloak on Fire Edition) :vomarine:

Chaos Lord Kranon the Relentless. Garish enough for Slaanesh, but made for Khorne.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Of course when I come here looking for some advice, I have to follow up a post like that. Great work, I love that tye-dye cape and not over done OSL.

Here is my WIP barge. Looking for tips in the areas of edge highlighting and washing.

Currently cleaning up transition areas and starting on the crew/control panel. Thinking I need to highlight the gold areas with bright silver. Not sure what to do with the silver areas. Wash with blue/black and highlight with light silver? Also not sure what I want to do about the blue areas.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Sweet dwarves, JackMann! The beard on the blond guy (spotter?) is particularly subtle.

Crossposting from the Oath Thread: Extreme Eyestrain (Cloak on Fire Edition) :vomarine:

Chaos Lord Kranon the Relentless. Garish enough for Slaanesh, but made for Khorne.

There is a lot going on, on that model.

Despite this, I like it a lot!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm going out to get some modeling grass later on today, and I was just wondering if folks had any other recommendations for relatively low-effort wasteland basing.
For some reason I seem to remember someone suggesting elmer's glue instead of superglue for grass, but I can't remember where I heard that or if it's correct.

The bases currently look like this:

Maybe pick up some gravel on the way back home for a few larger stones?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

For some reason I seem to remember someone suggesting elmer's glue instead of superglue for grass, but I can't remember where I heard that or if it's correct.
Elmer's is PVA glue? I can confirm it's good for static grass. I only ever use superglue for tufts, when I want to be absolutely sure the clump will stay on a small point of contact.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Crosspost, made and painted this Captain today and he turned out to be the best miniature I've ever painted.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What's the helmet?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I think it's the Minotaurs Chaplain guys head from Forgeworld but I can't remember his name. I'd check but can't get the FW site to load on my phone.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

enri posted:

Can I pick your brains about laser cutting at all? :) got a lot of questions, would I be able to email you? :v:

Assuming that is that you have access to your own laser cutter, which I'm assuming you do because you're making these yourself :)

Sure, and yes I own the laser cutter, its in my garage, LumberingTroll@gmail.com.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well that was a waste of at least $4.50. I got some fine yellow grassturf and the citadel grasstufts, and they absolutely do NOT look good together. I'm kinda liking the tufts, though, so my basing adventure continues.

Should I apply these grasstufts before or after sealing the miniature?

P.s, SRM if you want some yellow turf you are MORE than welcome to an entire bag of it.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 2, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

I talked to Germ about it on the kickstarter, and it seems the danger of sealing with static grass/tuffs/etc on the base is that the varnish can bead up on it. If you don't go heavy on the sealant you should be okay.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Doesn't matter.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

LordAba posted:

I talked to Germ about it on the kickstarter, and it seems the danger of sealing with static grass/tuffs/etc on the base is that the varnish can bead up on it. If you don't go heavy on the sealant you should be okay.

I won't be sealing all that heavy, because most of these guys have been sealed once already, but this does seem like something to be concerned about.
If I see this happening as I'm varnishing, do you think running a crappy old drybrush through the tufts would help?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PyroDwarf posted:

Of course when I come here looking for some advice, I have to follow up a post like that. Great work, I love that tye-dye cape and not over done OSL.

Here is my WIP barge. Looking for tips in the areas of edge highlighting and washing.

Currently cleaning up transition areas and starting on the crew/control panel. Thinking I need to highlight the gold areas with bright silver. Not sure what to do with the silver areas. Wash with blue/black and highlight with light silver? Also not sure what I want to do about the blue areas.

That mottled effect is pretty rad. What do you do to apply it? Something like a sponge?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

JackMann posted:

Oh, I also got the painting on my dwarf cannon crew done. Apologies for the crappy cell phone pictures.

Just need to base them all, and I'll be ready to send them off to their intended recipient.

I think you need to clean the lense on your phone.

Not because the minis are bad, but because you are adding a the "greasy fingers" filter to everything you photograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

That mottled effect is pretty rad. What do you do to apply it? Something like a sponge?

Yep. Took the base color and swirled in a drop of white so that the color wasn't uniform and dabbed it on with a small bit of spongy foam. Used the same effect on the cryptek.

• Locked thread