Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Do we know if the extra 4GB VRAM in the 16" affect the width of the memory bus and bandwidth/performance?

I went to check out the 16" MBP in person today and I'm quite tempted now. The keyboard obviously felt extremely similar to my Magic Keyboard 2 and better than my 2015. The only thing holding me back right now is a.) the lack of 100W USB-C/TB3 docking stations and b.) the rumored 14" having a large enough screen while being much more portable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bet the 14" won't have discrete graphics though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I bet the 14" won't have discrete graphics though.

Certainly not but the iGPU gets a respectable update. I think at this point the ideal chip would be a 7nm 8C Ryzen APU with Navi but that's not going to happen (for a while).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thoguht mobile AMD still ran hot, at least warmer than Intel. I rather have an iMac with a Ryzen 3700x.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What does a top case replacement run on a 2016-2019 MBP?

Those 2016 15" are starting to go cheap but I wouldn't want to play the keyboard lottery

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
What do you think the odds are of Apple doing a repair on a 12" Macbook that's completely dead with an SSD problem after 18 months? It's out of warranty, but given the nature of the system it's not repairable, and even without the warranty getting 18 months out of a $1000+ device really loving sucks.
Sadly it wasn't purchased on a credit card.

Bob Morales posted:

What does a top case replacement run on a 2016-2019 MBP?

Those 2016 15" are starting to go cheap but I wouldn't want to play the keyboard lottery

$795 parts and labor, at least as of a bit ago. :(

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 29, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

charity rereg posted:

What do you think the odds are of Apple doing a repair on a 12" Macbook that's completely dead with an SSD problem after 18 months? It's out of warranty, but given the nature of the system it's not repairable, and even without the warranty getting 18 months out of a $1000+ device really loving sucks.
Sadly it wasn't purchased on a credit card.

Like, the ssd just randomly failed? I’ve had great luck getting free replacements on parts not considered replaceable/consumable (like batteries, etc). Just go in and be nice and see what you get is my suggestion.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mediaphage posted:

Like, the ssd just randomly failed? I’ve had great luck getting free replacements on parts not considered replaceable/consumable (like batteries, etc). Just go in and be nice and see what you get is my suggestion.

well the 12" macbook is 1 single soldered PCB, so it's not just an SSD. and yeah it fails to unlock filevault, fails to decrypt via recovery mode, and after a wipe fails to install macOS with an SSD error reproducible in specific diagnostic testing.

no joke this is the only machine we have ever purchased w/out Applecare. It was on an extremely tight grant budget and they were literally desperate for a computer and we shaved off AC to make the price. we also dont support the 12" macbook but made an exception as this researcher travels around the world :( sigh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

charity rereg posted:

well the 12" macbook is 1 single soldered PCB, so it's not just an SSD. and yeah it fails to unlock filevault, fails to decrypt via recovery mode, and after a wipe fails to install macOS with an SSD error reproducible in specific diagnostic testing.

I mean yes, but you used ssd so I did, too; it would be silly to refer to it as apple’s soldered solid state storage medium every time it came up in discussion. Regardless, i would try for in person than any online service.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mediaphage posted:

I mean yes, but you used ssd so I did, too; it would be silly to refer to it as apple’s soldered solid state storage medium every time it came up in discussion. Regardless, i would try for in person than any online service.

What I meant is that there is no replacing of just the SSD at all, so the odds of them tossing me a freebie go way down as it's literally the entire guts of the computer, not just an SSD :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

charity rereg posted:

What I meant is that there is no replacing of just the SSD at all, so the odds of them tossing me a freebie go way down as it's literally the entire guts of the computer, not just an SSD :(

Yes and when my GPU failed out of warranty (separate from the program) I got the motherboard replaced, too. I mean if you just want to be despondent about it go ahead I guess. Just go try, be nice, and press the issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I pulled the trigger yesterday on the base 16" Pro from Adorama

$2145, no tax in my state, free shipping, 5% off ($107.25) since they let you pay with PayPal and chase has a special going on

Didn't get to use any Amazon points but whatever

I don't even use my 2013 15" much, but it only has 8GB of RAM and I can't pass up a deal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I pulled the trigger on the 16" MBP w/ 5500 Pro and while it's extremely less-portable compared to my 2017 13" MBP it is nice to be able to do schoolwork on the couch without squinting at everything and constantly rearranging windows for optimum real estate.

The new keyboard actually took a lot of time to get used to. It feels nice but my fingers were so used to the shallow keys on the 2017 keyboard that they weren't lifting high enough to move properly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I decided to make the upgrade from my late 2013 13inch to a 2019 13 inch.

Probably a terrible choice seeing as how the 14 inch is probably coming out soon but I make bad choices.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mu Zeta posted:

I thoguht mobile AMD still ran hot, at least warmer than Intel. I rather have an iMac with a Ryzen 3700x.

Certainly hotter than integrated, for sure. I tried disabling "Automatic graphics switching" for a little while just for fun, and after a few minutes, I could feel the heat on the topsides of my fingers while typing. Like, in Safari!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any USBC cable deals today? I could use another 6 foot cable for my 13" pro.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Any USBC cable deals today? I could use another 6 foot cable for my 13" pro.

I'm gonna order these chochacho-tech ones I guess: https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Bra...75056801&sr=8-3

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
These speakers in the 16" are a massive upgrade over the 2015.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I got to type on the 16" this weekend for the first time. Definitely a huge improvement. Keys feel stable and there is a satisfying actuation force/curve to the press. IMO it could use a little more key travel but its still miles better than before. I want to buy one but I am unsure if I should wait until next year as I suspect there will be a display bump - if nothing else at least a nits improvement. I am also waiting to see what Microsoft does with the Surface Book 3. There's also the matter of paying for it, so I have to wait anyway to save.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 1, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For the displays to get any brighter, Apple would have to wait for either better battery technology or a less power-hungry display technology.

The first option is doubtful as current lithium formulations are about as optimized as they'll get, and the second could be answered with micro-LEDs as they offer the potential of 30x the brightness of OLED with a more efficient power curve, but the key to mass producing them hasn't been unlocked yet and it's still frightfully expensive to make them at this point.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I think it's likely they will get a bump for Ice Lake next year though. WiFi 6, lower power, beefier graphics. I'm not saying early next year, but it just wouldn't make sense to be shipping 9th gen in 2021.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Typing this on my new 16". Very happy with it. The last Mac I had was a mid-2011 MBP 15" that has well and truly bit the dust beyond economic repair-ability. Held off upgrading for so long because of the keyboards - I am actually having trouble telling the difference between the key feel on the two if I am honest. I got the base model, it will do all I need for many years to come hopefully.

Kudos to Apple for once again making a reasonably priced, mid range machine that doesn't suck in some huge way at the base model.

Can anyone recommend a Thunderbolt dock for my desk (connecting displays, USB etc) that can supply enough power to these machines?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I expected the keyboard change but I'm pleasantly surprised they also fixed the throttling issues and even upgraded the speakers which I don't think anyone was complaining about. Makes me excited about the 13/14" updates.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m going to hold off trying the new keys. I feel like I have no beef with the pre-16 keyboards but I’m worried that if I try the new one that will all change. Seeing as how I just bought this laptop this year I definitely don’t need any long term buyer’s remorse :ohdear:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Martytoof posted:

I’m going to hold off trying the new keys. I feel like I have no beef with the pre-16 keyboards but I’m worried that if I try the new one that will all change. Seeing as how I just bought this laptop this year I definitely don’t need any long term buyer’s remorse :ohdear:

:same:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fallom posted:

I'm gonna order these chochacho-tech ones I guess: https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Bra...75056801&sr=8-3

Trip report:

I just got these in and they seem to be charging at 60W, not 100W, but I suppose I don't actually know if the 16" MBP tries to charge at 100W all the time.

eames
May 9, 2009

You could put the machine under full load with maximum screen brightness for a few minutes and check if the battery state of charge goes down at all.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ming-Chi Kuo expects a mini-LED display in the 16" MBP by 2H/2020. :woop:

This isn't the micro-LED technology that's going to replace OLED eventually, more like a regular IPS with super fine full array local dimming.
10.000 LEDs should allow for some quite small dimming zones, presumably also enabling HDR.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/02/16-inch-macbook-pro-mini-led-2020/

vvv One of the main advantages of the old MBA is that it is such a proven design. In my personal experience it's the most reliable and robust apple machine I've ever owned. vvv

eames fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 2, 2019

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

French Canadian posted:

So uhhh...is this Macbook Air black Friday deal a reasonable buy even though it's like 2 years old?

My wife says I'm allowed to call her out for wanting this (she just wants the Macbook Air experience...doesn't need it to be speedy, etc). She is tired of using her XPS 13 for video editing and stuff. And she'd only do simple video stuff anyway. She wants to use iMovie.

Bob Morales posted:

I would buy that used for $500 but not new for $650

Buy the 2019 13" for $999

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-13-inch-128GB-Storage/dp/B07V49KGVQ
I've been looking at this myself. Yeah, it's two years old, but the difference between $650 and $1000 for the newer model isn't insignificant. I'm torn on this too...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sasquatch! posted:

I've been looking at this myself. Yeah, it's two years old, but the difference between $650 and $1000 for the newer model isn't insignificant. I'm torn on this too...

The newer one was $799. The one that was $1000 was the pro not air.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

The newer one was $799. The one that was $1000 was the pro not air.
I must be blind then - link por favor?
That's a much thinner difference which - yeah - would make that older computer much less appealing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sasquatch! posted:

I must be blind then - link por favor?
That's a much thinner difference which - yeah - would make that older computer much less appealing.

Looks like the deal is sold out on amazon for now but I have to imagine it will come back.

I bought it but I’m going to return it because the Pro was only $200 more but I absolutely wouldn’t do that deal.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mini-LED has a lot of the advantages of OLED (higher color range, lower power consumption, no need for backlight which makes display thinner) for 70-80% of the cost of OLED. So unfortunately it will likely still cause prices to tick up a bit.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
Interesting deal on Woot:

https://www.woot.com/offers/apple-2018-13-3-macbook-air-notebooks

Late 2018 MacBook Air, $649 for 128/8 and $749 for 256/8. These ones have Retina+Touch ID, etc. vs. the other MBA a few posts up.

Note that these are allegedly refurb'd by Apple, but carry a Woot warranty.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Late 2018 MacBook Air, $649 for 128/8 and $749 for 256/8. These ones have Retina+Touch ID, etc. vs. the other MBA a few posts up.

IMO this is a much better deal.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Jumpin on dis!

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
This is just a quick question so I don't think it's worth its own thread in tech support

I've got a macbook pro with one of those stuck key issues, and Apple has given me a termendous runaround about the whole problem before declaring that I have water damage, therefore gently caress me.

The key is stuck in the down position, so the computer is fairly unusable, I can't even log in. Is there a good demo somewhere online of how to physically sever the connections to the key sensor so that I can just hook up a usb keyboard and at least get my data off the drat thing?

Sidenote: gently caress Apple, it is on my literal bucket list to piss on Jobs' grave when I get back to the bay.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mirconium posted:

This is just a quick question so I don't think it's worth its own thread in tech support

I've got a macbook pro with one of those stuck key issues, and Apple has given me a termendous runaround about the whole problem before declaring that I have water damage, therefore gently caress me.

The key is stuck in the down position, so the computer is fairly unusable, I can't even log in. Is there a good demo somewhere online of how to physically sever the connections to the key sensor so that I can just hook up a usb keyboard and at least get my data off the drat thing?

Sidenote: gently caress Apple, it is on my literal bucket list to piss on Jobs' grave when I get back to the bay.

When my keys were stuck down I could still use a USB keyboard

Use a guitar pick and pry the key off from the top

https://konkludenz.de/en/macbook-butterfly-keys-clean-keyboard/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone get their 16" from Adorama yet? They had that sale last wee, my order has been 'sent to the distributor for drop shipping', so I'm just twiddlin' my thumbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone get their 16" from Adorama yet? They had that sale last wee, my order has been 'sent to the distributor for drop shipping', so I'm just twiddlin' my thumbs

My precious.

I was out the last hour and UPS left it sitting on the porch. It's 8:00pm here. No shipment notification or nothing.