Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Seedge posted:

The Leave.eu page on Facebook has some gold in there. They shared a post about how John Lewis will stop putting "Boys" or "girls" tags on the clothing they sell. People seem to think this is "taking political correctness too far".

their followers got really snowflakey when I photoshopped their pro-death penalty sponsored tweet calling for the execution of convicted (black, of course) murderer Michael Adebolajo with the face of convicted (white, of course) war criminal Alexander Blackman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

An invisible man has always had his finger on a doorway, his entire life. You go there and try to close the door, hurting that man. He yells and you might not apologize because you didn't know he was there. What Notch is saying you should keep trying to close the door anyway because people might join in on that guy just to stop him from closing all the doors in the world, and that's bad!

This analogy stops working because in this situation you don't close a door out of being stupid as gently caress.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Quote edit

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

orange sky posted:

An invisible man has always had his finger on a doorway, his entire life. You go there and try to close the door, hurting that man. He yells and you might not apologize because you didn't know he was there. What Notch is saying you should keep trying to close the door anyway because people might join in on that guy just to stop him from closing all the doors in the world, and that's bad!

This analogy stops working because in this situation you don't close a door out of being stupid as gently caress.

A tortoise is lying on its back in the desert. You could help it but you're not. Why not?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
push the fat man

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

Andrew WK both have dead/doppelgänger conspiracies too.

I actually kind of believe the Andrew K one, and I once had a 90 minute interview with him. Or whoever he was. He just looks so different, and he hasn't done poo poo new musically since 2006, which coincidentally is the same exact time the whole thing came up. Just a few covers albums and a noodly piano improv thing. His statements about it are also way too wordy and equivocal for an issue that could be answered with "No, it's not true."

I think at the very least if he's not a different person entirely then he was some kind of product of a committee that "created" him and then dissolved nastily, leaving him like the Monkees after they quit their TV show and tried to make their own music.

P.S. "I Get Wet" owns no matter what the real story is.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Sep 4, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Imagined posted:

I actually kind of believe the Andrew K one, and I once had a 90 minute interview with him. Or whoever he was. He just looks so different, and he hasn't done poo poo new musically since 2006, which coincidentally is the same exact time the whole thing came up. Just a few covers albums and a noodly piano improv thing. His statements about it are also way too wordy and equivocal for an issue that could be answered with "No, it's not true."

I think at the very least if he's not a different person entirely then he was some kind of product of a committee that "created" him and then dissolved nastily, leaving him like the Monkees after they quit their TV show and tried to make their own music.

P.S. "I Get Wet" owns no matter what the real story is.

:psypop:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jurgan posted:

A tortoise is lying on its back in the desert. You could help it but you're not. Why not?

Because Mitch McConnell is a fucker.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

quote:

In 2009, five years after that first explosion of disinformation, Andrew W.K. said at a lecture that his persona was the creation of a committee, saying, “I’m not the guy you’ve seen from the I Get Wet album … I’m not that same person. I don’t just mean that in a philosophical or conceptual way. It’s not the same person at all.”

http://www.stereogum.com/1281921/andrew-wk-is-the-face-of-playtex-wipes/commercial-appeal/

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

:tinfoil:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Andrew WK is a time lord and the name he chose for himself is the promise that he made

The promise to party

hard

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spider Barbie posted:

:qq: Why won't these meidos talk to me and only me like in my animes :qq:

I've been to maid cafes. This guy is 100% creeping on these girls and then complaining about it on the internet. They literally talk to you when you walk through the door and at your table. Even the cafes where they talk down to you. It's part of their job.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

unwantedplatypus posted:

Call him a Dane

Woah!
No need to get carried away here. You don't whip out the D word just like that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Cat cafe best cafe.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Volcott posted:

Cat cafe best cafe.

My friend went to Japan recently and went to not one but two owl cafes for me.

They were both closed at the time.

But at least I got two photos of the OUTSIDE of some owl cafes, I GUESS.

:argh:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's the point of a maid cafe at all unless you're at least a little bit of a weirdo?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Guess you could say they were closed for the day. :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ularg posted:

Guess you could say they were closed for the day. :v:

*solemn appreciative nod*

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
My dream is to open a shoebill cafe but I think they're illegal here.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ularg posted:

What's the point of a maid cafe at all unless you're at least a little bit of a weirdo?

It reminds me of this comic. The gist of it is that it's okay to patronize sex workers and similar, just remember that it's a performance. You're there for a fantasy, so remember that they're just normal people once they leave and you shouldn't expect anything more from them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Data Graham posted:

set foot

SET FOOT

This and "make due" never fail to irritate me. Any other misused words/phrases I can just ignore, but those two get me every time.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I will be sure to not replicate this problem when I go to Tokyo. I want to pet cute owls :kimchi:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Where's my falconry cafe Japan.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ibblebibble posted:

Where's my falconry cafe Japan.

Next door to Crazy Goro's Glass Eye And Prosthetic Finger Emporium.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ratoslov posted:

Next door to Crazy Goro's Glass Eye And Prosthetic Finger Emporium.

If this isn't included in the next Yakuza game I am going to be very dissapointed!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Forgive me for prying, but what's the appeal of seeing your own people being exploited like that?
If it was anyone else, I can understand it, but I wasn't expecting it from you, LAB.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Volcott posted:

My dream is to open a shoebill cafe but I think they're illegal here.

Well, coffee is addictive and raises blood-pressure. You could still just have a shoebill without a cafe though!

Serperoth posted:

Forgive me for prying, but what's the appeal of seeing your own people being exploited like that?

Owls are dogs not birds.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Sep 4, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I went to an owl cafe in Harajuku and I walked through an "owl forest" (a room with fake trees and real owls) to sit in a room with average coffee and no owls. Then I found out there was an owl cafe/owl bar nearby but my friends said no more owls.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I went to an owl cafe in Harajuku and I walked through an "owl forest" (a room with fake trees and real owls) to sit in a room with average coffee and no owls. Then I found out there was an owl cafe/owl bar nearby but my friends said no more owls.

Sorry, but they were full of owls.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The owls are not what they seem.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
A room of fake trees and real owls? Fool, it was full of real trees and fake owls. The trees have fooled you with the mesmerizing owls. You are now part tree, no part owl.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Josef bugman posted:

If this isn't included in the next Yakuza game I am going to be very dissapointed!

I'm going to be very disappointed if THIS isn't included in the next Yakuza game

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You'd think the Yakuza would put more effort into their fetishes. Those are terrible head-pieces. I bet their tattoos are low effort too, that's probably why they wear the suits, so the other Yakuza can't see how lovely they are at being Yakuza.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hey, I live in Japan and just got back from an Owl Cafe in Sendai. Sympathy owls.

I feel like I should contribute some IoSM, but I think my social media has been kept well pruned...

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Owls are dogs not birds.

Owls are actually cats. In fact, the Chinese word for owl is "cat-head eagle".

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Oh my God I'm gonna die. :3:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

bamboozled again!!!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Birds are cool but I dunno if I wanna eat and drink in a small room full of them, birds are also loving gross.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

Isn't the word for panda "cat-face bear" or something? Do they just modify nouns by making them more or less cat?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magnus Manfist posted:

Isn't the word for panda "cat-face bear" or something? Do they just modify nouns by making them more or less cat?

True fact: the Japanese word for potato basically translates to cat-that-is-a-potato-and-not-a-cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
A lot of languages just name an animal modifier-other animal. Like the welsh word for rat translates back as 'big mouse'.