Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
TTA has a large incentive in its rules to not kick someone when they're down. It's called resignation.

Is it a good solution? Maybe not, but picking on noncompetitors is an easy way to waste resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Trasson posted:

TTA has a large incentive in its rules to not kick someone when they're down. It's called resignation.

Is it a good solution? Maybe not, but picking on noncompetitors is an easy way to waste resources.

Yeah, that's likely my next and final move in my current BGO game. I've largely just turned into a War on Culture piggybank for my two opponents.

Sure, I get that this appears like a bunch of sore losing and I'm probably going to give another BGO game or two a chance to see if I can gitgud, but right now it looks unlikely that I'd get it to the actual physical table over another game that's a bit more forgiving to earlier mistakes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Got posted in the discord a while back, but Erid Lang's got an AMA up on Reddit. May be of interest.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Memnaelar posted:

Hm, I really don't see that. If you have, say, two leaders (as I do in my game currently) with 30 military strength apiece and a handful of Military cards and me sitting in there with 18 and a demolished infrastructure (I don't claim I've played well, mind you), if one of them drops a War on Culture on me and shoots up the ladder, it's far more profitable for the other to match that with a subsequent War on Culture against me rather than take their chances on a weak attack on their closer competitor. There might be other instances where that's less the case (like if one had a more sizable advantage on the other or felt certain of victory for some reason) but I don't think it's clear that it's "quite" the reverse, even as I acknowledge the incentive to take out your strongest competitor as the end draws near.

If you're that far behind and someone goes to war with you, the best course of action is to honourably resign, and deny them the spoils of war.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Memnaelar posted:

It's not fun to sink four hours into a game if two hours in, you've suffered enough setbacks to where you're certain you lose and you know the game won't let you make that up easily (in part because the winners can keep you face-deep in the mud).

This is a problem with board-gamey video games too. At a certain point in a Total War campaign or Civilization game, you usually reach a point where you're certain of victory (or loss) and just have to hit next turn/autoresolve for a few hours.

It's boring and crappy so I just quit at that point and start a new game. AI players don't mind, but it sucks for people on the wrong side of that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Here's the Discord perma-link: https://discord.gg/DWnexP3

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Got posted in the discord a while back, but Erid Lang's got an AMA up on Reddit. May be of interest.

quote:

Some favourites: Cosmic Encounter, World of Warcraft, Magic The Gathering, Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, Poker
oh eric.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I would really like LOTR the Confrontation a lot more if you didn't burn out on the game after like, 4-5 games.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So COIN players, I have a copy of Cuba Libre that has been woefully unappreciated for most of the year, and a circle of friends who suddenly want to play it this week (gee, I wonder what news item could have prompted this sudden interest). Half the folks interested in playing have never touched a COIN game and I've played all of twice. Do any of you have suggestions/links for teaching the game?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Dulkor posted:

So COIN players, I have a copy of Cuba Libre that has been woefully unappreciated for most of the year, and a circle of friends who suddenly want to play it this week (gee, I wonder what news item could have prompted this sudden interest). Half the folks interested in playing have never touched a COIN game and I've played all of twice. Do any of you have suggestions/links for teaching the game?

Cuba Libre is the best one to start with, so you're ahead of the pack already.

Just make sure everyone has a reasonable handle on each other's sources of income, capabilities and winning conditions

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dulkor posted:

Teach it in the order it's presented in the manual, mostly. Though I explain what control is when I'm explaining the map and the pieces, so that explaining the factions and their victory conditions makes more sense. Don't have the deck completely set up for play before you teach, so that when you get to explaining turns, you can whip through eligibility with some real cards. You might even stack the deck with ~4 different-sounding cards (including at least one capability) and a Propaganda card.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I just finished punching all the chits to Feast for Odin. What the gently caress have I gotten myself into??

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone have Sushi Go! Party? Because I have no loving idea how this box is actually supposed to fit all of its components.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that was fast. Made 104 out of this game of A Feast For Odin. Some of that's down to occupation luck.

Had a pretty bad game yesterday, only made 60-70 out of grabbing the Faroe Islands early, started with Tutor but mostly pulled late-game occupations early game and early-game occupations late-game. (Also honked way too many trapping and whaling attempts with, like, nothing under a 7/10 in three rolls, so bad luck all around.)

This game I decided I'd go serious into raiding but the occupations I pulled also made it worthwhile to just buy some stuff straight-up, so enjoy special_tiles.jpg here:

(alternate titles: fuck_your_homeboard.jpg, too_many_kings.jpg)

Linseed Oil Presser, Armed Fighter, and Blubber Cook were just played along with Chief on a 1-4 space in the last round, but Forester made it attractive to hunt game, Village Leader made the hides more worthwhile, Barbarian made the game meat (and the whale meat bonus) more worthwhile, and Chief let me get 15 weapons out of Barbarian in time to use them all.

It really makes me wonder if I should be using the pre-errata side of the Faroe Islands. I've had much worse games when I picked it up early (my first game with the extra 2P viking was also a low-scoring Faroe pick) than Shetland/Iceland, and its flip side, which I used this game, is really good.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Anyone have Sushi Go! Party? Because I have no loving idea how this box is actually supposed to fit all of its components.

It kind of doesn't. I put all of the cards in their slots, half of the tiles in the pawn slot, the other half in one of the dessert slots, with the board on top. The instructions will get bent regardless.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Big McHuge posted:

I just finished punching all the chits to Feast for Odin. What the gently caress have I gotten myself into??

The organizational trays are very well done. Punching the drat pieces out may take 2 hours, but once done setup and teardown was nowhere near as painful as I expected.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played the new Citadels? Any good?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sokani posted:

The organizational trays are very well done. Punching the drat pieces out may take 2 hours, but once done setup and teardown was nowhere near as painful as I expected.

The org trays have enough space for most things if you use them as depicted - I suggest you put about half the sheep and cows in a bag and use the spaces under the sheep and cows to store 1/2 silver.

You are also going to want to put the cabbage/game meat/bones and hide/spices tiles rotated 90 degrees to form a block 3 spaces high and 4 wide.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

bowmore posted:

Has anyone played the new Citadels? Any good?

It's not out yet.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's a new Citadels? Is it supposed to solve any of the existing versions problems or is it just new components and probably a too-large box?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crackbone posted:

It's not out yet.
I saw it at my store

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

sector_corrector posted:

I have it. It's supposed to go like this.

Unfortunately, this assumed you keep and store the box flat, not on edge.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pretty proud of my solo game tonight. 109 points. Iceland is fuckin' baller! My starting occupation, Forester, really helped me hit the ground running. Just purchasing ships was really handy on turns where I wanted to just purchase a few special tiles.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gutter Owl posted:

I have it. It's supposed to go like this.

Unfortunately, this assumed you keep and store the box flat, not on edge.

Ah, poo poo, that's actually pretty smart. Thanks!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dulkor posted:

Play government yourself because they're way less intuitive and trickier than the other factions. The menus are great for player reference. Make sure everyone has a basic idea how to achieve their victory condition and some idea of what everyone else is doing

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Johnny Truant posted:

Pretty proud of my solo game tonight. 109 points. Iceland is fuckin' baller! My starting occupation, Forester, really helped me hit the ground running. Just purchasing ships was really handy on turns where I wanted to just purchase a few special tiles.

Hm! Yeah, I'm thinking maybe with all of my tiles I could have gone for Newfoundland. I was covering an awful lot of white space on Baffin Island, and I couldn't get the tilegen for more than 2 turns of bonuses from it.

Iceland does seem to make a pretty nice replacement for the mainboard, though. Slightly faster income diagonal, largely similar bonuses except for wood, which you're going to be pulling off mountain strips anyway.

EDITED: Additional thoughts on the Faroe Islands. I think they'd be better off in a single-player game because the linen-weaving space is available every round, so if you burst to the flax bonus you can potentially just be turning out the long narrow spaces you need to fill the island every round. Or if you snatch up one of the A-deck occupations that gives you unlimited flax works. They may also work better with the simple stone house since that's just spitting out hide. Hmm.

I'm going to try and find a strategy that works for them. It's probably going to start with saying "gently caress peas".

This kind of begs for an Agricola-style occupation draft, too. Maybe draft a personal draw deck of 10, decide your top card (publicly, in first-turn order) and shuffle the remaining 9?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've seen that Patchwork is a popular 2-player title in this thread. How good is Lost Cities for a light 2p card game?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

silvergoose posted:

Which I could totally see FfO doing, more occupation cards, more islands, more buildings, without needing a true big expansion.

It would take quite a lot to add more islands and buildings because those are built into the action space on the board; you'd have to replace the spaces as well.

On a possibly-related note:

:frogsiren: IF YOU INTEND TO COME TO UK GAMES EXPO NEXT YEAR AND HAVE NOT YET BOOKED YOUR HOTEL, BOOK IT RIGHT THE gently caress NOW :frogsiren:

This PSA brought to you by the cheapest hotel room I could find costing £130 for the two nights, 5 miles away, and every other hotel within that radius bring either sold out or costing double that.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've seen that Patchwork is a popular 2-player title in this thread. How good is Lost Cities for a light 2p card game?

It's a decent abstract, played it a lot with my partner on iOS (a really well produced app) but these days we will always choose something like Jaipur or 7 Wonders: Duel instead.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
got me some Fury of Dracula oh yeah!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

thespaceinvader posted:

It would take quite a lot to add more islands and buildings because those are built into the action space on the board; you'd have to replace the spaces as well.

On a possibly-related note:

:frogsiren: IF YOU INTEND TO COME TO UK GAMES EXPO NEXT YEAR AND HAVE NOT YET BOOKED YOUR HOTEL, BOOK IT RIGHT THE gently caress NOW :frogsiren:

This PSA brought to you by the cheapest hotel room I could find costing £130 for the two nights, 5 miles away, and every other hotel within that radius bring either sold out or costing double that.

Nah, just replacements.

Shuffle these four A cards, one of them is the island you use for that space. Shuffle these four B cards, etc.

And I guess a replacement cardboard strip to make the spaces reflect that. :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Nah, just replacements.

Shuffle these four A cards, one of them is the island you use for that space. Shuffle these four B cards, etc.

And I guess a replacement cardboard strip to make the spaces reflect that. :shrug:

Or just change when you flip the islands, or have a small piece that fits over the blue exploration track underneath the harvest track. I don't really think it's going to be that hard to have additions to it, either through Uwe or from homemade stuff.

"I'll place two vikings on this explore tile to use my longship to explore Cuba. :getin:"

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

bowmore posted:

got me some Fury of Dracula oh yeah!

have fun! it really works best with at least 4 players, but I've played it most just 1 on 1. while it's still a good time, you lose the interaction and bouncing ideas off of your team in order to find Dracula. 1 on 1 is a lot more quiet, plus Dracula doesn't get to hear what your potential moves are.

God drat fury of Dracula owns

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

snuff posted:

It's a decent abstract, played it a lot with my partner on iOS (a really well produced app) but these days we will always choose something like Jaipur or 7 Wonders: Duel instead.

I have both Jaipur and 7 Wonders Duel so maybe I won't bother with Lost Cities. I've been looking for lighter 2p games for a partner who's not deep into board gaming. Lately we've been playing Hive which is a good 'un for that situation.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have both Jaipur and 7 Wonders Duel so maybe I won't bother with Lost Cities. I've been looking for lighter 2p games for a partner who's not deep into board gaming. Lately we've been playing Hive which is a good 'un for that situation.

Check out Patchwork while you're at it. If you havent already. Great game for beginners and Connaisseurs alike.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Glazius posted:

Hm! Yeah, I'm thinking maybe with all of my tiles I could have gone for Newfoundland. I was covering an awful lot of white space on Baffin Island, and I couldn't get the tilegen for more than 2 turns of bonuses from it.

Iceland does seem to make a pretty nice replacement for the mainboard, though. Slightly faster income diagonal, largely similar bonuses except for wood, which you're going to be pulling off mountain strips anyway.

EDITED: Additional thoughts on the Faroe Islands. I think they'd be better off in a single-player game because the linen-weaving space is available every round, so if you burst to the flax bonus you can potentially just be turning out the long narrow spaces you need to fill the island every round. Or if you snatch up one of the A-deck occupations that gives you unlimited flax works. They may also work better with the simple stone house since that's just spitting out hide. Hmm.

I'm going to try and find a strategy that works for them. It's probably going to start with saying "gently caress peas".

This kind of begs for an Agricola-style occupation draft, too. Maybe draft a personal draw deck of 10, decide your top card (publicly, in first-turn order) and shuffle the remaining 9?

In a single player game it's only available every second round.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I would choose Lost Cities over Jaipur, 7WD, or Patchwork if I were traveling with it or playing at a cafe or something. It's much easier to set up and put away. I'm a fan, but if you don't care about that, then maybe don't bother.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CommonShore posted:

In a single player game it's only available every second round.

Bah, yeah, forgot the NOT. Hope I won't be too wiped out for gaming this weekend so I can give it a spin.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dulkor posted:

I made this thing as a learning exercise a while back as I was teaching myself the game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137174/cuba-libre-player-aids-10

The first few pages are more for solo play since it fits all four factions on one page front and back. The back pages are better handouts for individual players. Hope they help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the nerdy cousin of sherlock CD is out and it's pretty good