Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Random note on Team Fortress 2: the game's late 60s setting and the Medic's given backstory as being trained in Germany when the Hippocratic Oath was more of a suggestion might imply... certain things. Valve has however said that the Medic is not and has never been a Nazi. But then there's again some hints in a very fitting dark comedy styling, from music and pronunciation choices by said Medic, that's he's actually of Jewish origin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait, is The Medic not Herbert West?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Resident Evil 4 VR:

You can juggle your knife. The physics are a bit limited and it snaps back to your body if you throw it too far or high, but you can flip it in the air or pass it from hand to hand. First time ever playing this game in any format and I'm going to style on these villagers.

I liked juggling my guns and pretending I was Revolver Ocelot when taking down ganados.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beat Scooby Doo: First Fright and the ending kind of owns. Throughout the game you defeat and unmask a bunch of normal losers who are trying to scam people, and pick the culprit at the end of the story (it's obvious by the end, but the target audience is young). The final story you do the same thing, you beat up the ghost and talk about who she really was, although the woman doesn't really exist at all, there is no one living at the castle outside of the Baron and his Butler, and the Baron's "sister" was only ever seen talking TO other people, never being spoken to herself. Also no one can explain how the fight with her tore the castle apart. You just fought a real ghost.

That was very worth it, a very cute way to end the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Frank Frank posted:

Ok thanks. None of the DLC planes "break" the game do they? Sometimes DLC vehicles can gently caress up the intended progression. Are they something you should buy after you beat the game or are they fine to get early?

Yes, to an extent. The Nosferatu, RAVEN, FALKEN, Morgan, Shinden and XFA-27 each will utterly trivialize the game because they're unlocked the second you buy them from the online store. The ones from the Experimental Planes DLC, that's the FB-22, the F-16XL, and the F-15 S/MTD... yes and also no. The F-16XL is a decent early game bomber variant of the F-16C, the first plane you get in the game. The F-15 S/MTD is a good mid-game option, and the FB-22 is geared towards the mid/late game ground attack missions.

The neat thing about it is, you don't have to use them after you buy them if you want to experience the game "straight" for the first time through. So the question of when to buy them is really up to you, I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat Scooby Doo: First Fright and the ending kind of owns. Throughout the game you defeat and unmask a bunch of normal losers who are trying to scam people, and pick the culprit at the end of the story (it's obvious by the end, but the target audience is young). The final story you do the same thing, you beat up the ghost and talk about who she really was, although the woman doesn't really exist at all, there is no one living at the castle outside of the Baron and his Butler, and the Baron's "sister" was only ever seen talking TO other people, never being spoken to herself. Also no one can explain how the fight with her tore the castle apart. You just fought a real ghost.

That was very worth it, a very cute way to end the game.

Reminds me of an old PC game called Eagle Eye Mysteries, a detective game where you, a young teenager, goes around your town solving mysteries. There's always an explanation for weird occurrences, generally some scam artists or some bullies trying to spook someone, whatever. There are frequently clues like 'weird lights in the sky' or 'strange shape in the woods' that you tie to people and motives, and shut them down.

Except the final set of cases, which are like a bonus pack at the end of the game, which have all this happening except the only possible cause for any of them is supernatural in nature. The lights in the sky are actually aliens, the strange shape in the woods is a sasquatch, etc. I thought it was funny going that route after teasing it the entire game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've spent like two years hearing people complain about how stupidly hard the Marauders in Doom Eternal are so I was nervous to get to them.

Turns out they're actually really fun to fight, you just have to counter their attacks and hit them when they're stunned. There's even a popup telling you how to kill them the first time you encounter one. Can't believe this got people so bent out of shape on the game.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Necrothatcher posted:

I've spent like two years hearing people complain about how stupidly hard the Marauders in Doom Eternal are so I was nervous to get to them.

Turns out they're actually really fun to fight, you just have to counter their attacks and hit them when they're stunned. There's even a popup telling you how to kill them the first time you encounter one. Can't believe this got people so bent out of shape on the game.

The problem with marauders is they ruin the flow of your ripping and tearing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe it's a flawed enemy if they have to show a popup telling you how to kill it in a DOOM game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

The problem with marauders is they ruin the flow of your ripping and tearing.

I dunno, if a game is flowing too much it probably means it's gotten a bit easy. Don't mind being thrown a speedbump every now and then.

Plus there are only like 6 or 7 of them in the whole game.

CJacobs posted:

Maybe it's a flawed enemy if they have to show a popup telling you how to kill it in a DOOM game.

All enemies other than the most basic fodder get a popup when you first encounter them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

You might've misheard what people were saying? I'm pretty sure everyone was saying that while all the enemies have an optimal weapon you can use to kill them quickly, it doesn't mean that you can't use other things. If you want to take out a Revenant with the chaingun or super shotgun or pulse rifle you can do that just fine and it's annoying that every Marauder plays the same and you have to wait till you get an opening to counter them to do any damage thanks to their everything proof shield that you can't even steal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My biggest problem with the marauder is that even though you have the chainsaw and crucible at your disposal- a rare and limited stock of one-hit gently caress you buttons that instantly delete something the player would rather not engage with- they made the marauder immune to them. Everything else about them would have been fine if they just let you nope out of it like you can with every other monster

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Necrothatcher posted:

All enemies other than the most basic fodder get a popup when you first encounter them.

That's fair, I guess I forgot them because the Marauder is given so much presence when it shows up. Having Doomguy demonstrate how to defeat the new enemy by fighting it during its intro cutscene would have been cool and rid the need for those popups in the process, imo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Resident Evil 4 VR:

You can juggle your knife. The physics are a bit limited and it snaps back to your body if you throw it too far or high, but you can flip it in the air or pass it from hand to hand. First time ever playing this game in any format and I'm going to style on these villagers.

You can duel-wield guns. See SuperGreatFriend's playthrough for some of the more amusing things you can pull off in that game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man I'm still angry that was an oculus-only release, SGF LPs it is, I guess.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
They should have replaced the quick time knife fight with Krauser and made you do it in real time, knife flip and all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Necrothatcher posted:

They're not well-designed because they arbitrarily run contrary to the rulesets of the game. You can't insta-delete them, and while you can arguably break them with various techniques, the basic as-intended way is you have to play by the Marauder's rules and wait for it to let you hurt it. It's clearly designed to be THE enemy you focus on and trade hits with in an encounter using a specific weaponset (Supershotty to stun, then follow up with a heavy weapon to love-tap. Repeat).

That fails on two counts, because A: The basic gameplay loop runs contrary to that by encouraging you to empty a small ammo reserve and cycle to another weapon, so there's zero guarantee you have the right ammo (or at least enough) for such an encounter, and B: The Marauder's rarely the only thing in the room. So you HAVE to give it your focus and try to work around anything else (all while taking care NOT to use the right ammo you need), whereas other enemies you can temper and manage in a mixed group (eg; Get a Pinkie to charge you and it's out of the way for the moment so you can shoot whatever was beside it).

Other enemies do similar things in their design, but you can generally brute-force damage through to hurt them regardless, or there's a way to short-circuit their bullshit to murk them near-immediately if you can't at least manage them (Eg; Grenade a Cacodemon). The Marauder will just laugh off even your ice grenades, so you can't even put him on pause to take care of his friends in the room first. You could fix the design pretty easily just by making his shield "merely" able to soak a lot of firepower before breaking, rather than being a flat "no" to most of your toys.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it is possible to instakill marauders with the BFG, but you need to switch to it and fire the instant you stun them because if you're even a tiny bit late on the swap then they'll magically become invincible to it again on the frame the stun ends. I usually stuck to this strategy rather than deal with their pace-killing horseshit the slow way, but it did mean I never got to use the BFG on crowds of other enemies where it would actually be fun

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

As others said the thing with marauders is that they stop the euphoric song of ripping and tearing that you're in, the zen-like state of "flow" that you find yourself in while kicking rear end and taking names.

Really need to go back to eternal, for some reason it majorly bugged out last time I played and I couldn't progress in the story.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really don't get this obsession with maintaining a state of "flow" in games. Maybe if you just want to get through to the credits as painlessly as possible, but what's wrong with a game stepping on the gas for a moment, snapping you out of a routine, and forcing you to play differently?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Necrothatcher posted:

I really don't get this obsession with maintaining a state of "flow" in games. Maybe if you just want to get through to the credits as painlessly as possible, but what's wrong with a game stepping on the gas for a moment, snapping you out of a routine, and forcing you to play differently?

because it's doing the opposite and hitting the brakes in this case, and in most cases people complain about

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Necrothatcher posted:

Are you going to defend forced stealth sections in action games too? Because that's probably the closest comparison to the marauder, do exactly the right thing or get hosed and try again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They really should have given Doom Eternal a style meter like DMC and made the Marauder shields drain your rating as you kept shooting at them. Character Action Games are filled with lovely little shield fucker enemies all over the place, quickly communicating to the player that blasting away was pointless would have made them a lot less frustrating. Same for a whole lot of other mechanics in Doom Eternal.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hel posted:

Are you going to defend forced stealth sections in action games too? Because that's probably the closest comparison to the marauder, do exactly the right thing or get hosed and try again.

Now you're just being silly. The Marauder requires the same skills as the rest of the game, the only difference is that you fire when his eyes flash green (and you get a huge window of opportunity to fire). When "exactly the right thing" in a DOOM game is blast it with a Super Shotgun is it really out of place?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Give Doomguy an aerial taunt combo, is what I'm saying here.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Necrothatcher posted:

Now you're just being silly. The Marauder requires the same skills as the rest of the game, the only difference is that you fire when his eyes flash green (and you get a huge window of opportunity to fire). When "exactly the right thing" in a DOOM game is blast it with a Super Shotgun is it really out of place?

Because you have to avoid shooting at him until you are ready which means avoiding shooting even near him, as even a stray bullet or some splash damage will lead to a counter attack or a spawned wolf. Which means a shotgun of any kind is really out of place. Which is as you say a really odd thing for a doom game.

Hel has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Feb 17, 2022

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

Doom eternal is nothing but a flow game. You are pretty much expected to keep up the flow with your special attacks the keep getting health, ammo and armor. When something stops you dead in your tracks you might just end up getting killed cause you go "wait, what was i doing again?" for a second to long.
Now I also think doom eternal is not a very good game because of that because you end up with a "right" and a "wrong" game to play that ends up punishing you because you tried something new instead of now using the chainsaw like you were supposed to.
But a lot of people like that so :shrug:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hel posted:

Because you have to avoid shooting at him until you are ready which means avoiding shooting even near him, as even a stray bullet or some splash damage will lead to a counter attack or a spawned wolf. Which means a shotgun of any kind is really out of place. Which is as you say a really odd thing for a doom game.

If you're good enough at games to get to the Marauder in Doom Eternal you should be able to handle a video game mechanic as basic as "attack when its eyes turn green". :colbert:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Necrothatcher posted:

If you're good enough at games to get to the Marauder in Doom Eternal you should be able to handle a video game mechanic as basic as "attack when its eyes turn green". :colbert:

Because it's not "attack when it's eyes are green" it's " Don't attack anything in this part of the map because it can randomly lead to a counter attack from the Marauder which is never going to have its eyes green because you are too far away and out of sight". And if you don't take out the other enemies first then good look seeing the eyes among the constant rain of attacks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Just playing Mario Kario 8 DX, noticed on Sunshine Airport that the luggage conveyer belts will not only move the crates along them and player karts, but items that are dropped on them whether deliberate or on accident like circling triple items when you're hit by lightning.

Also, I'm still finding new shortcuts I didn't know about, and I've three-starred every cup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Necrothatcher posted:

You can't just slap any mechanic in a game and call it good because it worked in another game. You need to look at how it plays off everything else in the game. And the Marauder doesn't. It's built with the intention of being a fixed encounter with the assumption the player has certain weapons available with enough ammo to play how the Marauder wants you to.

Doom Eternal's basic game loop is fundamentally antithetical to that. It's structured as a flow of kill, cycle weapon, kill, chainsaw, loot, repeat. Your ammo pools are all kept conservatively low to encourage this too, because it means even if you're running out of ammo you're gonna gonna just swap to the next weapon with viable ammo quantities, or get more by Ripping and Tearing on something in proper Doom tradition. But because of that, you can't reasonably say the player is going to have, let's say, 12 Shotgun Shells and enough energy cells for three Arbalest shots to be able to kill a Marauder as-designed. This is because you can't reasonably say where in the game loop the player will be when they reach the Marauder (ie; Have they just shredded a zombie for more ammo, or just come off a previous encounter blasting away with the Super Shotty and now have zero shotgun shells on-hand).

You can't also reasonably expect "attack when its eyes turn green" with a narrow window when you've also got other demons in the mix. Especially when the Marauder can and will punish you for ignoring it, even if it's to fend off what should be a more immediate threat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Some of the biggest roadblocks in games- like the infamous Tubular, or the Carnival Night Zone barrel- are when the game suddenly expects entirely different things from you than everything so far you've been taught to do by playing it. Even if they're spelled out, they're absolutely gonna kill gameplay flow for a lot of players.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I appreciate the loop that Eternal was going for but it was just too drat much to deal with imo. Maybe I’m just old.

Anyway, small chocolate frosty and a small fry please.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Near the end of the 2nd level in Eternal where I had to jump on collapsing platforms and avoid a giant spinning line of flame straight out of a Mario game had me put the game down for a while.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Going into Eternal from D2016 was such a whiplash of visual style and gameplay that I bounced off it harder than all of your guns off a Marauder

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I expected to love Eternal and very much did not, but since this is the things you like thread I do have to say that since attempt number three was after I got a new gpu I really got a kick out of seeing Doom Guy reflected in various ray traced surfaces

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just playing Mario Kario 8 DX, noticed on Sunshine Airport that the luggage conveyer belts will not only move the crates along them and player karts, but items that are dropped on them whether deliberate or on accident like circling triple items when you're hit by lightning.

Also, I'm still finding new shortcuts I didn't know about, and I've three-starred every cup.

MK8DX is still such a good game, I'm so glad they're releasing more courses for it

My favorite little thing about it is that up until like the mid 10k range for points every character is pretty viable since the karts are so customizable. Unfortunately after like 15/20k it's just waluigi, wario, and roy everywhere because they're objectively the best stat characters

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I had a blast with Eternal because they put a grappling hook on a shotgun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the setpieces in Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, the puzzles in the third level were particularly cool. Loved the mayan ballgame and ancient planetarium puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think people are talking about beating the game quickly/easily. What you said about forcing a player to play differently I think is at the heart of it. Enemies having different patterns and immunities is good but when you narrow the options too much it feels less like needing a different approach and more like having to do one specific thing. Feels rigid, means you can't be as creative.

Haven't played Eternal but these Marauders sound like bosses and why I typically don't love bosses in games. Usually all your normal stuff doesn't work, there's a lot of tedious waiting around for openings, and repeating the same patterns throughout the encounter and everytime you beat them.