Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

For whatever reason, I decided to look around at raccoon etymology, and it seems like cultures that were doing a lot of colonialism in the Americas adopted local terminology and other languages translated the old taxonomic name. Washbear comes from ursus lotor, which is how Carl Linnaeus classified them in his taxonomy. Meanwhile, raccoon is adapted from Powhatan. The French term raton-laveur means little washer rat, which doesn't make sense, except that raton sounds kinda/sorta like raccoon and I guess the washer part was added later. Spanish has mapache, which comes from Nahuatl, and Portuguese has guaxinim from Tupi.

I'm not a linguist though and the Italian term is procione, which is just the current genus name, so I dunno.

Things like this are interesting in minority languages within colonizing states because sometimes they just take the dominant language's word (raton lavaire in Occitan) or get it from somewhere else completely (rakoun in Breton).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jurgan posted:

It reminds me of this comic. The gist of it is that it's okay to patronize sex workers and similar, just remember that it's a performance. You're there for a fantasy, so remember that they're just normal people once they leave and you shouldn't expect anything more from them.
Hot gently caress that comic was awful. Fitting for the thread I suppose

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

"The condition of your birth does not determine the outcome of your life... You can live up to your God-given potential." He really doesn't see the contradiction here, does he?

Kind of like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83KLxQ1jjdg

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jurgan posted:

"The condition of your birth does not determine the outcome of your life... You can live up to your God-given potential." He really doesn't see the contradiction here, does he?

Paul Ryan is a giant fucker. His family used gov. benefits and he's spent his entire political career trying to kick down/burn the ladder he/his family used.

Also

https://i.imgur.com/C3jwFHv.jpg No one cares about this one.

2012 maddness was soooo innocent. Just wierd poo poo like Paul Ryan breaking into a soup kitchen for a photo op of him washing dishes.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Hahaha I remember when they were like "Paul Ryan is the COOL YOUNG Republican who LIFTS and LISTENS TO ROCK MUSIC". They tried to sell that hard and then we got those pictures and Rage Against the Machine telling him to gently caress off and stop listening to their music.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You can play around with the consonant roots of words in Hebrew, so you'll find a lot of names for animals that are weird variations on the name of a similar-looking animal. So Raccoon is דביבון = dvivon, where bear is דב = dov.

Similarly, Jays are all types of עורבני = orvani, where crow is עורב=orev.

I've always thought that's because jays and crows are corvids, and orev and corvid sounded alike to me as a kid. Probably just an incorrect childhood connection.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/904389024697200643

https://twitter.com/helenbirch_/status/904506733674029057

I will never get tired of stupid idiots getting owned :allears:

e. No, seriously, check out the replies to the idiot's tweet. He gets dunked on relentlessly :allears:

Mikl has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Sep 4, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I've always thought that's because jays and crows are corvids, and orev and corvid sounded alike to me as a kid. Probably just an incorrect childhood connection.

It's conceivable that Latin corvus and Hebrew עורב have a shared origin, although that's counter-indicated by Caesar being קיסר, rather than עיסר. But I'm not a linguist. :shrug:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Azzur posted:

Hey, I live in Japan and just got back from an Owl Cafe in Sendai. Sympathy owls.

I feel like I should contribute some IoSM, but I think my social media has been kept well pruned...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :neckbeard:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Aw, great big hugs.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mikl posted:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/904389024697200643

https://twitter.com/helenbirch_/status/904506733674029057

I will never get tired of stupid idiots getting owned :allears:

e. No, seriously, check out the replies to the idiot's tweet. He gets dunked on relentlessly :allears:

Piers Morgan getting brutally dunked on is always a good time:

https://twitter.com/NickDentsBrain/status/904788422161780736

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My favorite reply to Morgan:

https://twitter.com/ChrisWarcraft/status/904453196701024256

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LMAO as a chronic pain sufferer with problems in my entire body I wish I only had broken ribs to worry about. I had costochondritis in all my ribs for 2 months that is infinitely more painful than breaking them and I worked my retail job 5 days a week. Real tough guy there. Like, most people just carry on with their lives even when in pain and don't publicly demand praise for it or belittle others for not having as much strength. Pain is relative anyway.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Maybe we should have some sort of "Pain Olympics" to settle this once and for all.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh boy sitting in front of a camera or microphone, so manly of him to tough it out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Besesoth posted:

My favorite is still the Icelandic word for "computer", which is tölva - a portmanteau that means "number witch".

"Number seeress" or "Number Oracle" would be more accurate but number witch sounds cooler.

Some other interesting Icelandic words:
Tutle = Skjaldbaka (Shield-back)
Penguin = Mörgæs (Suet-goose)
Parrot = Páfagaukur (Pope-cuckoo)
Binoculars = Sjónauki (Sight-increaser)
Rocket = Eldflaug (Fire-flew)
Comet = Halastjarna (Tail-star)
Tough guy = Harðjaxl (Hard-molar) and to tough things out is to "bite the molar" (bíta á jaxlinn)
Echo = Bergmál (Cliff-speak)
Pregnant = Ófrísk (Unwell), or alternatively Ólétt (Unlight)
Midwife = Ljósmóðir (Light-mother)
Nipple = Geirvarta (Spear-wart)
?????? = Jæja (?????)

At least half of those were invented by one dude. National poet, cultural hero, and drunkard Jónas Hallgrímsson who died after falling down some stairs while shitfaced and probably never scored. About a century later his bones, and/or the bones of the Danes buried on top of him to save space, were shipped home to Iceland and given a state funeral.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Sep 4, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I can grow a baby into multiple distinct men?! Well poo poo, that's just a good ROI!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

They're from different genera :confused:

Not actually. The murinae subfamily is called the old world rat and mouse family, and while it includes genera rattus/mus, pretty much every species in it has rat/mouse in their common names despite being from different genera. What most people would call a field mouse isn't part of the mus genus at all, but it's still considered a mouse.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Idiots on Social Media: Our patriots (not New England) > Debate and Discussion > HAY GUYS MY LINGUINI KNOWLEDGE OUTSTRIPS THINE

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Spider Barbie posted:

:qq: Why won't these meidos talk to me and only me like in my animes :qq:

From a while ago, but I know the answer: because you can't speak good Japanese and they can't speak good English.

(Yes, yes, trap sprung, I know)

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Sugoi, kawaii, okanjou wo onegai shimasu and baka should be all the Japanese you need for a good cafe time, dammit, my anims tell me so

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bit of a long one but modders are an eternal source of drama.

I Said No posted:

Speaking of FU, one of my mod users brought something amusing to my attention.

A few weeks back I released my Diverse Weather mod which adds a bunch of new weathers and allows different planets of the same biome to have different climates or weather patterns, using a system that was already ingame and functional but only really used for planets that have optional meteors. Five days later, Frackin Universe releases an update featuring many of the weather types in my mod (earthquakes, cold snaps and heat waves being particularly similar) and diverse climates.

Like I don't mind people re-using ideas (I wouldn't even really call them my ideas, I don't exactly own the concept of an earthquake), but it's kind of dumb they're still up to their old anti-competitive bullshit. They've always had a streak of not wanting any other mod to compete with them and if Diverse Weather and FU didn't have compatibility issues before that update, they probably will now. :v:

I Said No posted:

I did actually look at the files and they're really similar, with some numbers changed here and there and a lot of the file naming syntaxes really similar to what I used, but honestly it's impossible to tell if they actually swiped my files directly or just remade them using the same techniques I did. I mean how many different ways are there to basically remake the same thing? :v:
Even if they did theoretically straight up swipe my poo poo there's not a whole lot I can do about it though, so I just view it as more amusing than annoying really.

I Said No posted:

HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT
So, my wife said she was gonna poke through FU's public discord channel and I pretty much shrugged and said go ahead if she feels like it.

She found that not only did they straight up swipe my stuff:

BUT as an added bonus, they specifically set out to override and brick my mod because they're pissed at me not working with them:

And wants to "bury me" and take away my subscribers as a punishment for not working with/around them:

Like... bro. Seriously. What the gently caress are you doing? Are you THIS mad I don't support thieves? :psyduck:
Full archive of all the Good poo poo my wife found can be found backed up right here, just incase they abuse imgur's systems to pull the screenshots down like they've apparently done before to other mod authors they didn't like (read the top bit of the description).

I Said No posted:

Wife found more poo poo.
That nexus mod by an author known as CLeF I posted at the end of the last post; turns out sayter really, really, REALLY hates CLeF, apparently because of this old pre-release reddit argument. Turns out sayter REALLY doesn't like to be told "no" and may have harrassed the poo poo out of this CLeF dude by digging up all his internet footprint and also getting his imgur library deleted as I mentioned in the previous post. All of this poo poo because someone disagreed with him in a reddit argument, as far as i'm able to tell! (second image in paticular - REALLY doesn't like being told he's wrong, apparently)

And yeah I can't really DO anything but I got a loving laugh out of his overblown this guy's ego is, and I don't see why he should just get to do whatever he wants without being called on it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Jeremy Clarkson became a national hero when he gave Piers Morgan a black eye.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

there wolf posted:

Not actually. The murinae subfamily is called the old world rat and mouse family, and while it includes genera rattus/mus, pretty much every species in it has rat/mouse in their common names despite being from different genera. What most people would call a field mouse isn't part of the mus genus at all, but it's still considered a mouse.

"There's no taxonomic difference between rats and mice" and "there are a few critters we call mice that ended up being more closely related to rats than other mice" aren't even close to being the same thing, my friend.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

there wolf posted:

Yeah I see what you're saying now. "Rat" and "mouse" as common names are taxonomically dubious, yes. Not really the same argument as "there is no difference between Mus and Rattus," which is how I originally read it.

It was a pretty confusing way to word it, though...

E:

Besesoth posted:

"There's no taxonomic difference between rats and mice" and "there are a few critters we call mice that ended up being more closely related to rats than other mice" aren't even close to being the same thing, my friend.

Yeah this.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Sep 5, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Leviticus 11:19 refers to bats as a type of bird, so there's really no taxonomic difference between birds and bats.

In searching for a citation for that sick burn, I found this, which is maybe not "social media" but is too good to keep to myself.

quote:

You might have heard of the PETA wackos who thinks that whales are "mammals", despite the fact that whales lives and swims in the sea, just like other fish species, and most important of all, The Bible says that whales are fish, and therefore they are fish! And it all makes sense since they live in the sea

quote:

It is clear for people with common sense that whale is a fish.

Some of these crazy monkey worshipers try to say that bat is a mammal too, when it is clear that it is infact a bird.

quote:

Whales are fish that have by convergent evolution (which the Designer) set in motion do the best adaptions would keep the animal alive and healthy. This supports my idea that God designed everything perfectly. For a whale to be best suited to its environment God designed it very similar to mammals. A good designer does not throw away designs that work.

quote:

The King James Bible is 100% perfect, not a single word is mistranslated, and real Christians follows The Bible by letter. The Bible tells us that whales are fish, therefore they are fish, they are fish who breathe atmospheric air and are usually much bigger than other fish species, but they are still fish, both because it makes sense and because The Bible says so.

RACISM AHEAD.

quote:

Whale meat makes for a nice sandwich. Gooks like you bathe in the blood and oils, and eskimoes like to eat the blubber. Most other fish have less blubber.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jurgan posted:

Leviticus 11:19 refers to bats as a type of bird, so there's really no taxonomic difference between birds and bats.

In searching for a citation for that sick burn, I found this, which is maybe not "social media" but is too good to keep to myself.

RACISM AHEAD.

:allears:

I keep forgetting that there are babies on the internet who don't know what Landover Baptist is.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eesxH2-8Jlo

Throwing Turtles has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Sep 5, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I keep forgetting that there are babies on the internet who don't know what Landover Baptist is.

Hmm... well, Poe's Law originally applied to creationists specifically, so I'm not ashamed to prove that it still applies.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Poe's law has mutated into an excuse for utter credulity.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

"there are a few critters we call mice that ended up being more closely related to rats than other mice" .

That's still not quite it. The point is that rat and mouse are used so indiscriminately to label the members of the murinae subfamily that they fail to describe any meaningful relationship between the different species. I guess I could see how "there's no taxonomic difference" could read as "all the same", but in my head I was thinking of even more casual usage. Most people seeing a small rodent aren't going to be able to identify the species; they'll just call it a mouse if it seems small or a rat if it seems big.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was talking with some linguists tonight about the etymology of corvus vs עורב and we found this weird thing by accident - edenics.org. Phone posting but the articles are amazingly bizarre.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I was talking with some linguists tonight about the etymology of corvus vs עורב and we found this weird thing by accident - edenics.org. Phone posting but the articles are amazingly bizarre.

I think I saw a book that was making a similar claim about English deriving from Hebrew somehow when I was still in Israel. Folk etymology sure is greatdumb!

LOL at that cover image:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picnic Princess posted:

LMAO as a chronic pain sufferer with problems in my entire body I wish I only had broken ribs to worry about. I had costochondritis in all my ribs for 2 months that is infinitely more painful than breaking them and I worked my retail job 5 days a week. Real tough guy there. Like, most people just carry on with their lives even when in pain and don't publicly demand praise for it or belittle others for not having as much strength. Pain is relative anyway.

I feel you on acute pain. Acute sciatica loving SUCKS, and I cook for a living.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think I saw a book that was making a similar claim about English deriving from Hebrew somehow when I was still in Israel. Folk etymology sure is greatdumb!

LOL at that cover image:

There is no way this dude is flying that low without the FAA screaming at him.
Speaking of, this came across my Facebook today. It counts because the article I was reading lists the predictable result: homeboy gets fined for violating FAA regulations. How'd they find out? Social media.

http://www.foodandwine.com/news/friend-air-drops-subway-sandwich-farmer

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Warmachine posted:

There is no way this dude is flying that low without the FAA screaming at him.
Speaking of, this came across my Facebook today. It counts because the article I was reading lists the predictable result: homeboy gets fined for violating FAA regulations. How'd they find out? Social media.

http://www.foodandwine.com/news/friend-air-drops-subway-sandwich-farmer

Adobe Photoshop my dude.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Volcott posted:

Adobe Photoshop my dude.

:thejoke:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

quote:

Hebrew, with its right brain/left brain neurological keyboard demonstrates that Greek and Latin are merely grandparents, while Hebrew is the common ancestor, the original computing language of our biological random access memory, which was scrambled during the output stage by the Master Prog rammer

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

there wolf posted:

That's still not quite it. The point is that rat and mouse are used so indiscriminately to label the members of the murinae subfamily that they fail to describe any meaningful relationship between the different species. I guess I could see how "there's no taxonomic difference" could read as "all the same", but in my head I was thinking of even more casual usage. Most people seeing a small rodent aren't going to be able to identify the species; they'll just call it a mouse if it seems small or a rat if it seems big.

Okay I thought I understood what you were saying but you're coming around to making no sense again. You're saying most people don't know the taxonomic definitions of what "mice" and "rats" are, therefore they aren't different? :confused:

This can be applied to pretty much animal group. A lot of people can't tell the difference between wasps and bees, butterflies and moths, coyotes and wolves, porpoises and dolphins, etc. That doesn't make their taxonomy moot.

Why are you even bringing taxonomy into the discussion if it's about what laypeople call them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm still only an apprentice Prog rammer.