Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Cage began his career with weird comedies, which is why I ask about Vampire's Kiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Vampire's Kiss is worth watching just for the scene where Nicolas Cage convincingly cries by saying boo hoo booooo hooo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6RWiVRwoE8

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's clear watching it that Cage isn't the worst thing in that movie.

There was one detail that made me wonder if there was intententional comedy: the reveal that Cage bought the "everything is ok" self-help tapes, brought them to the island, and then the California druids stole them. It was just so dumb that I thought it had to have been played for laughs.

But stuff like waking up from a dream sequence, only to wake up from a second dream sequence was astonishingly bad. I'd expect that kind of writingg from kids.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Neurophage posted:

Cage was excellent in Joe, Bad Lieutenant and Kickass, wtf.

He was also good in Drive Angry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My favorite story from Drive Angry was that it was Cage who wanted to drink beer out of a skull and he ad libbed it. He's a lot more self aware than people think. Also, he is very nice in person if he is not raging drunk.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Cage also produced Shadow of the Vampire so I will love him forever.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I watched Vampire's Kiss without knowing anything about it and that was such a bizarre yet funny performance.

The Bad Lieutenant with the Cage was actually pretty good though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Wizchine posted:

Nivek Ogre: Repo: The Genetic Opera (Actually, it looks like Ogre has been in a number of cheapie horror movies I've never heard of since Repo if you need to pad your list)
Yeah, it's called the entire career of Skinny Puppy. :v:

A little late on the art discussion a few pages back, but has any horror director taken a serious run at depicting the world of Zdzislaw Beksinski in film? I'd really like to see some kind of atmospheric slow building dread type of horror with those kinds of set pieces.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it counts as Horror, but holy poo poo Morgan almost has to be seen to be believed. You shouldn't, tho, so here's a synopsis!

Kate Mara goes to a secluded place where a bunch of researches are doing combining-nanobots-with-organics-for-Reasons stuff that culminates in the titular character.

She's weird and hyper violent, having stabbed someone in the eye earlier, and kills the shrink sent to see if she's safe to be around and won't stab people in the eye.

Kate orders Morgan be killed. All the scientists decide to escape with Morgan, but Morgan decides to kill all of them except two. We learn that the Reasons for Morgan was to make technoorganic people who have real emotions that wouldn't be murderbots.

Kate and Morgan do some Kung Fu fighting, Kate kills Morgan, kills the remaining scientists, and we learn in the last scene that Kate is a technoorganic murder bot from the previous generation

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

moths posted:

I finally checked out The Wicker Man remake now that it's on Netflix.

:stare:

I'd heard it was bad, but it managed to be near-unwatchable. There's something fascinatingly stilted in the editing or direction - it's like nobody recorded dialogue in the same room. There's no flow at all between conversations, it's hard to describe.

Interestingly, it sort-of works as a follow up / loose sequel to the original.

I can't blow The Wicker Man (1973) enough. I love this fuckin movie. My horror tastes tend to the psychological and supernatural and TWM1973 is only a little of the former but absolutely none of the latter. To me, the value of the film lies in the oppressively inviting "creepy uncle" vibe combined with an utterly unique soundtrack. It's a symbol-rich
folk opera that's a delight for people who appreciate awesome 1970s cinematography reminiscent of fellini or kubric.

dookifex_maximus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 4, 2016

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The cinematography in The Wicker Man 73 is breath taking.

Also the Maypole Song/Summerisle may be horror's finest musical moment. Such an earworm: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awmQ3p58H9E

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, it's called the entire career of Skinny Puppy. :v:

A little late on the art discussion a few pages back, but has any horror director taken a serious run at depicting the world of Zdzislaw Beksinski in film? I'd really like to see some kind of atmospheric slow building dread type of horror with those kinds of set pieces.

My favorite thing about him is that when people used to ask him where he got his ideas he would tell them that he was just painting the place he somehow knew he was from and therefore understood, and that he knew he would one day return there. It's just such a creepy way to tell somebody to gently caress off.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What's the chance of the new Blair Witch being any good?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Dr.Caligari posted:

What's the chance of the new Blair Witch being any good?

Decent to good. I like Wingard a lot.

On the other hand, the original's tone/aura is impossible to recapture. I kinda think it will be goid, but pointlessly so if that makes sense.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably a good chance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Speaking of Blair Witch, these two morons from Milwaukee had a pretty interesting discussion about the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjbevNlLXE

Not gonna lie, I'm firmly on Mike's side of this one, but I think having people who view the movie differently is good for this kinda discussion.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
(Serious) I'm not clicking that

(Smug) I've got better things to do than click that link

(Sarcastic) Ah a Red Letter Media video? I'll click that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's always a joy to post on this subforum.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Here's a fluffy question for the horror thread: which horror movie deaths bum you out/disappoint you the most?

Not necessarily in a "I view this movie negatively" way, but because you enjoyed the character so much.

The ones that jump immediately to mind for me are Margot Kidder in Black Christmas, wheelchair guy in Friday the 13th Part II (but he gets maybe the best death scene in the series) and probably Hayden Panetierre in Scream 4.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Possession (1981) is great, and yall should go in as blind as possible. By CineD law, you are required to post your reaction to it in this thread.
So, necroposted this but-

I was confused and amazing at the same time and I enjoyed it. I think people use the phrase "fever dream" too much, except here I think it fits. It's the most nightmareish thing I've ever seen. The way the film jumps from moment to moment almost like how you would recount a dream. You don't remember everything, but certain moments stick waaaay out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Hat Thoughts posted:

(Serious) I'm not clicking that

(Smug) I've got better things to do than click that link

(Sarcastic) Ah a Red Letter Media video? I'll click that

Been playing some Pillars?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

Here's a fluffy question for the horror thread: which horror movie deaths bum you out/disappoint you the most?

Not necessarily in a "I view this movie negatively" way, but because you enjoyed the character so much.

I immediately thought of Chewie in the Friday the 13th 2009 remake. I enjoyed all the other kills, but that one was mean.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of Blair Witch, these two morons from Milwaukee had a pretty interesting discussion about the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjbevNlLXE

Not gonna lie, I'm firmly on Mike's side of this one, but I think having people who view the movie differently is good for this kinda discussion.

The guy on the right seems like he is actively trying to dislike this movie, ignoring all context to make his points. Real annoying way to talk about a movie when you apparently make a point to talk about movies a lot (this is the first RLM vid I've ever watched so if this is typical, guess I'm not missing much.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

The guy on the right seems like he is actively trying to dislike this movie, ignoring all context to make his points. Real annoying way to talk about a movie when you apparently make a point to talk about movies a lot (this is the first RLM vid I've ever watched so if this is typical, guess I'm not missing much.)

What do you mean exactly by ignoring context?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Discussing a film by having two people deliberately take opposing viewpoints and arguing them out isn't a bad concept per se, but Blair Witch Project is so good that it's hard to play devil's advocate without reaching for issues to complain about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Discussing a film by having two people deliberately take opposing viewpoints and arguing them out isn't a bad concept per se, but Blair Witch Project is so good that it's hard to play devil's advocate without reaching for issues to complain about.

That is an extremely subjective opinion you just stated as a fact there. Mike isn't playing devil's advocate either, he's just stating his honest impressions of the film. If anything he's being extra tactful about it because he respects its ambition and historical significance despite not liking the end product very much.

I just thought the fact that they strongly disagree about the film without just yelling at each other about it made for a particularly interesting discussion.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 4, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's not a fact, it's the impression I got from watching the video (and presumably Blundercat's impression as well, considering his complaint).

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

That is an extremely subjective opinion you just stated as a fact there. Mike isn't playing devil's advocate either, he's just stating his honest impressions of the film. If anything he's being extra tactful about it because he respects its ambition and historical significance despite not liking the end product very much.

I just thought the fact that they strongly disagree about the film without just yelling at each other about it made for a particularly interesting discussion.

I don't mind that they disagree-- but I didn't find guy on the right (Mike?) to seem interested in discussing the film on its merits. Sure, he says at the end he respects the film for being a "a pretty flawless execution on a very original idea..." But prior to that you wouldn't know he felt that way at all. He says things like: he wasn't clear on the mythology of the witch, he was confused, the editing was disjointed (??), around 11:30-13:00 he talks about how he'd have explained the Witch better.
Meanwhile Left Guy has just explained that horror movies often make a big mistake by over-explaining their mythologies, the movie is purposefully using the fear of the unknown to propel itself, and that they made up the urban legend of the BW for the movie. Right Guy's arguments just kinda seem lazy and disingenuous in that regard-- like he is purposefully ignoring the context of the film, characters, plot, etc in order to make his arguments, which seems like a bad way to engage with a movie.

I think the point Right Guy lost me though was when he said the JAWS thing: "I want to know what I'm supposed to be scared of. It'd be like watching JAWS and saying 'somebody ate something'" and "The mayor's closing the beach, why? Because!" -- this analogy doesn't work at all and even Left Guy calls him out on that.

I'm not familiar with RLM aside form this video, is this just the "character" Right Guy plays in these videos? Does he engage with movies in this manner on the regular or just the ones he doesn't like?

BLUNDERCATS! noooo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 4, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

He's the affable movie curmudgeon that's his shtick.

If you've never seen the channel, I enjoy Best of the Worst for vicarious movie slumming.

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 4, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't mind that they disagree-- but I didn't find guy on the right (Mike?) to seem interested in discussing the film on its merits. Sure, he says at the end he respects the film for being a "a pretty flawless execution on a very original idea..." But prior to that you wouldn't know he felt that way at all. He says things like: he wasn't clear on the mythology of the witch, he was confused, the editing was disjointed (??), around 11:30-13:00 he talks about how he'd have explained the Witch better.
Meanwhile Left Guy has just explained that horror movies often make a big mistake by over-explaining their mythologies, the movie is purposefully using the fear of the unknown to propel itself, and that they made up the urban legend of the BW for the movie. Right Guy's arguments just kinda seem lazy and disingenuous in that regard-- like he is purposefully ignoring the context of the film, characters, plot, etc in order to make his arguments, which seems like a bad way to engage with a movie.

I think the point Right Guy lost me though was when he said the JAWS thing: "I want to know what I'm supposed to be scared of. It'd be like watching JAWS and saying 'somebody ate something'" and "The mayor's closing the beach, why? Because!" -- this analogy doesn't work at all and even Left Guy calls him out on that.

I'm not familiar with RLM aside form this video, is this just the "character" Right Guy plays in these videos? Does he engage with movies in this manner on the regular or just the ones he doesn't like?

Mike is a grumpy dry rear end in a top hat but that's kind of just how he is. Sometimes he can get stubborn and annoying if he hates a movie but I didn't feel this was one of those times. If you want to see an example of him engaging with something he did like, they recently did a Stranger Things review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lMOsdHhqio

I can see how his hyperbolic examples could lose you, but I think Mike was more trying to vocalize why the film failed to engage him, because it's obvious the reasons he didn't connect with the film don't come from clear technical failings or obvious plot problems, which is the sort of thing he's used to critiquing a film for. They're more issues with the then-experimental format compounded by deliberate non-traditional script decisions. Mike considers structure and clear goals pretty important in storytelling, which is something that comes up a lot in their discussions.

I really don't mean to turn this into the RLM Advocacy thread or anything. I only posted that because I felt it was apropos, it's fine if you didn't like the discussion, and I hope I'm not coming across as too defensive, I was just curious about what bothered you.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Mike is a grumpy dry rear end in a top hat but that's kind of just how he is. Sometimes he can get stubborn and annoying if he hates a movie but I didn't feel this was one of those times. If you want to see an example of him engaging with something he did like, they recently did a Stranger Things review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lMOsdHhqio

I can see how his hyperbolic examples could lose you, but I think Mike was more trying to vocalize why the film failed to engage him, because it's obvious the reasons he didn't connect with the film don't come from clear technical failings or obvious plot problems, which is the sort of thing he's used to critiquing a film for. They're more issues with the then-experimental format compounded by deliberate non-traditional script decisions. Mike considers structure and clear goals pretty important in storytelling, which is something that comes up a lot in their discussions.

I really don't mean to turn this into the RLM Advocacy thread or anything. I only posted that because I felt it was apropos, it's fine if you didn't like the discussion, and I hope I'm not coming across as too defensive, I was just curious about what bothered you.

No worries, I'm actually checking a few other vids out here and it seems the Blair Witch one is an outlier. I've never made a point to watch RLM but the two others I've watched have both been pretty good at picking apart the movies they're talking about in a satisfying way (satisfying to my sensibilities at least). You might've made a new fan here.

My whole gripe was just about context though, I hope that makes sense. When someone says "the movie should have more exposition/explanation" about a movie whose central conceit is mysterious/unknown ("is the Witch real?") it seems like they are willfully avoiding engaging with that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No worries, I'm actually checking a few other vids out here and it seems the Blair Witch one is an outlier. I've never made a point to watch RLM but the two others I've watched have both been pretty good at picking apart the movies they're talking about in a satisfying way (satisfying to my sensibilities at least). You might've made a new fan here.

My whole gripe was just about context though, I hope that makes sense. When someone says "the movie should have more exposition/explanation" about a movie whose central conceit is mysterious/unknown ("is the Witch real?") it seems like they are willfully avoiding engaging with that.

Ah, neat. RLM can be contentious and sometimes I roll my eyes at what they say but I overall enjoy their blend of criticism and humor.

I think essentially Mike's point was that he would've been more engaged with the story if it had given him a bit more information, even though he knows they made a decision not to give it to him. Which I think is a fair criticism, even when a film-maker knows exactly what they're doing, if the end result doesn't connect with you, then no amount of meeting the film halfway will make you enjoy it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thank god that they seem to have outgrown the need for gimmicks. They mostly seem to love old horror or other genre poo poo of the Joe-Bob-Briggs kind and are mostly insightful when talking about it. Their Nightmare on Elm Street commentary is tits.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

Don't know if you're into video games, but this upcoming one looks like it has potential:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKTkCa5nB_8

Though it looks a bit more Giger than Beksinksi imo

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Gonna see Don't Breathe tonight and I'm super stoked!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyone who doesn't say Frankenstein from Monster Squad as the most disappointing death is a soulless monster.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh, Newt from Alien 3.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Guy with a sombrero checking his blood pressure or whatever in Dawn of the Dead.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

31 was great but during the gory scenes there were so many quick cuts and bizzare editting techniques that none of the violence was really on screen...it was basically just a few chaotic shots where you couldn't tell what was going on then a spray of blood.

I didn't really mind this because I like Zombies music video lite directing sometimes but yeah this is a film that I think will benefit a lot from an uncut release

Edit:

Unsure if this is against the rules and I'll edit it out if necessary, but found this in 5 seconds on a video streaming website I regularly use called veehd

vvvvvvvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My buddy used to have this horror film on VHS, and as far as I know, our group of friends are the only people to ever seen this film (not really, but I am the only one who's ranked it on Criticker). It's called Night Terror, and it's not be confused the Tobe Hooper film, Night Terrors. Night Terror is an anthology horror film, and it's bonkers. I can only find two scenes on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCFDGrL4Jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEaVC4eb-98

I don't know why I am posting this. Just ignore me.

Also, my ten most entertaining horror films (yes, I realize this is in response to something two weeks old, but I'll try to name films that weren't named a million times)

Detention
Fright Night (1985)
The Gate (honourable mention to The Gate 2)
Hausu
Night of the Creeps
Pieces
Psycho Cop
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (haven't seen this since I was a teenager, so it may not hold up)
The Stuff
Vampire's Kiss