Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm enjoying the show again and however dumb most of it is I'd be amazed if anyone thinks gurms next piece of poo poo book won't be even dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's kind of pleasantly dumb now in a way last season wasn't. Season 5's theme was denial while this season is all about bargaining.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Atreiden posted:

Shown Euron is terribly cast and he was given some of the worst dialogue and reasoning, "hey I'm back, I just committed two of the worst sins in our society, Kinslaying and Kingslaying, please make me king. Also my master plan is to do exactly what Yara wanted, except I'm going to totally marry Kelly C and make us serve her.... Cool you made me king, come let's commit some more kinslaying".

did they? i never got the feeling that the Iron Borne were considered proper part of Westerosi culture. even in the books they always seemed like backwoods assholes who hang out on the edge of town and sometimes swing by to cause a ruckus while drinking at the local pub, at which point the sheriff comes by to put them in the drunk tank.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm enjoying the show again and however dumb most of it is I'd be amazed if anyone thinks gurms next piece of poo poo book won't be even dumber.

Im pretty sure is gonna be just as dumb on the things that happen, but it will be a lot less dumb on why they happen.

But it will surely be very long and boring too so I probably wont be able to force myself to read it, already knowing how it ends and all

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Ironborn are kinda like the Confederate States of America, in that they're a bunch of hillbilly rednecks who rebelled against the central government because they wanted the freedom to continue taking saltwives and raiding the coastline. And like the Confederacy, they got their poo poo pushed in and have simmered with resentment since. It's important to remember in this that the Ironborn rebellion was not only within living memory, it was less than ten years earlier because Theon was a hostage to guarantee Balon stayed put.

Imagine beat-up old Chevys tearing around the countryside with krakens painted on the hood. Heritage, not hate! The Isles will rise again! :black101:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
RIP my best theory

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh my god

He's been trying to warn everything that she's a Ho and she ran out the Door

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

The best thing about who they cast for Euron was that he looks a lot like Theon. Very strong family resemblance, but everything else... Kingslaying? Kinslaying? Meh. :effort:

I'm willing to give the showrunners a pass on some of a lot of this, if only because they've also been pretty ruthless about killing off minor characters, tying up story ends, and bringing characters & plotlines back together, and actually having things move forward. They haven't shown anything in Dorne since the episode where Whatshisface was killed, and I'm also okay with that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Imagine beat-up old Chevys tearing around the countryside with krakens painted on the hood. Heritage, not hate! The Isles will rise again! :black101:

haha

Beef Hardcheese posted:

The best thing about who they cast for Euron was that he looks a lot like Theon. Very strong family resemblance, but everything else... Kingslaying? Kinslaying? Meh. :effort:

This is true, but yeah, everything else feels a bit phoned in. Not the king/kinslaying part, again, i feel like the Iron Islanders are kind of lovely assholes beyond that kind of stuff since those are all very "Mainland Westerosi" concepts. But aside from the familial resemblance, Euron feels pretty blah.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He paid the ~iron price~ for the right to call himself the king of the iron islands.

The ~iron price~ meaning "do whatever the gently caress you want, we're all stupid evil Greyjoys so we accept it"

Reminder for everyone that pretty much all the men of the ironborn have been drowned in the literal sense and it's pretty easy to get lasting (brain) damage from drowning even if you're revived only minutes later. It makes the actions of the ironborn seem more reasonable when you realize they're a bunch of retarded left-behind vikings.

The only thing dumber than the ironborn is that they haven't been wiped out when it's pretty clear they do nothing but cause a bunch of problems for the coastal areas and just the Starks and Lannisters could easily wipe out the islands and put an end to that whole "our coastal towns get raped and pillaged by these rear end in a top hat" thing. At least in books like the Riftwar the small rear end in a top hat pirate nation survives because it has a powerful navy that acts as a balance for other regional powers, that excuse doesn't exist in ASOIAF and sooner or later one of the great houses would've dealt with them for good.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Yeah, ten years before the books they wipe out the ironborn fleet and storm his castle, kill two of his sons and take the third hostage and then say "welp, you've learned your lesson, keep on being king, ok bye"

:wtc:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
hes not a king hes placed either below the north or the throne not sure which and is just lord of the isles, with his only heir as hostage which is a pretty good hostage when you are old as gently caress and within a feudal setting

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah, ten years before the books they wipe out the ironborn fleet and storm his castle, kill two of his sons and take the third hostage and then say "welp, you've learned your lesson, keep on being king, ok bye"

:wtc:

Well this kind of matches King Robert's style for ruling the seven kingdoms. Beat up your enemy, then let them go their way if they promise not to do it again/acknowledge you as being in charge. His hold on the throne was so tenuous that was probably all he could realistically do.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Robert allowed almost all of his enemies to keep their lands and titles as long as they bent their knee, swore fealty and provided hostages. Had Robert not died or had the Starks not taken all of their fighting men below the neck (and sent Theon back to his father in a stroke of brilliance) Balon would have spent his entire life sulking in his moss covered castle.

Robert was pretty much bent on killing every single Targaryen out of personal spite for Rhaegar, there was no real cause to annihilate Balon after he was removed as a military threat.

Edit: beaten eh?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
lol at 'hold the door'

didn't someone call it out here way back

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It really is exceptional looking back that pretty much every awful thing that has happened in the north could have been prevented if the Starks just stayed home at the start of the series.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

did they? i never got the feeling that the Iron Borne were considered proper part of Westerosi culture. even in the books they always seemed like backwoods assholes who hang out on the edge of town and sometimes swing by to cause a ruckus while drinking at the local pub, at which point the sheriff comes by to put them in the drunk tank.

In the books Euron is a suspected Kinslayer, which is one of the reason some of the Ironborn don't trust him. Victarion also wants to kill Euron really bad, but doesn't since it would make him a kinslayer.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Subvisual Haze posted:

It really is exceptional looking back that pretty much every awful thing that has happened in the north could have been prevented if the Starks just stayed home at the start of the series.

Stark intervention is a parable of the Iraq war.

Not sure who the real victim is here:

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/734763312534151168

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Stark intervention is a parable of the Iraq war.

Not sure who the real victim is here:

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/734763312534151168

I like he is dumb enough to cheat on a girl, dumb enough to care about GoT spoilers and dumb enough to not block her to avoid the spoilers. It's like a perfect storm of dumbness

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

lol at 'hold the door'

didn't someone call it out here way back

I am sure they are just too humble to point out their genius.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
GRRM actually said it was Hold The Door on two separate occasions but people thought he was kidding cause it was way too stupid. There's a lesson here I'm sure.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Just watched the episode and everything worked for me. Yeah you can nitpick but it was fun to watch.

Leaf's "Sorry, not sorry" could of been done a bit better, I doubt non book readers have a grasp on the extent to which the wood elves were getting exterminated. Meanwhile no character in the books can set foot in the riverlands and south without noticing a spot where the trees used to grow but were all cut down or whatever.

So we saw the tree cave was warded but once the Nights King touched Bran that broke the ward. The Wall is supposedly warded too. If they bring Bran south of the wall does that give the Nights King and his bros the same ignore magical barriers ability?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 23, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

davecrazy posted:

Just watched the episode and everything worked for me. Yeah you can nitpick but it was fun to watch.

Leaf's "Sorry, not sorry" could of been done a bit better, I doubt non book readers have a grasp on the extent to which the wood elves were getting exterminated. Meanwhile no character in the books can set foot in the riverlands and south without noticing a spot where the trees used to grow but were all cut down or whatever.

So we saw the tree cave was warded but once the Nights King touched Bran that broke the ward. The Wall is supposedly warded too. If they bring Bran south of the wall does that give the Nights King and his bros the same ignore magical barriers ability?

Hold the door.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Atreiden posted:

In the books Euron is a suspected Kinslayer, which is one of the reason some of the Ironborn don't trust him. Victarion also wants to kill Euron really bad, but doesn't since it would make him a kinslayer.

huh, I guess it's been a while since I've read the books...

Blind Sally posted:

Welp, I just powered through all five books recently, AND read this entire thread. My ultimate conclusion is this:

Victarion is the best character.

holy gently caress, i made this post almost five years ago. okay, so it's been almost five years since i've read the books.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

huh, I guess it's been a while since I've read the books...

holy gently caress, i made this post almost five years ago. okay, so it's been almost five years since i've read the books.

Your conclusion was spot on though

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Regarding little fingers fast travel...Is it really so crazy that Littlefinger got on a boat in the vale, sailed up to Eastwatch then rode west.

That assumes that some time has passed since the last episode but that's a reasonable assumption. Sansa didn't make a dress and a fuckoff fur cloak in two days.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Intel&Sebastian posted:

RIP my best theory

i lmaod at that before and i'm lollin now

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

As terrible as 'Hold the Door ' sounded on paper, I thought the scene actually worked quite well, unbelievably. Couldn't Summer have taken down one zombie though?

Anyway, the important thing is we loving got :siren:The Actor Kevin Eldon as Ned Stark:siren:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bran looks like twelve years older than six years ago, they're not even trying.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If the children of the forest had loving plasma grenades why didn't they just trap the door?

"Hold the door" It's like poetry, it rhymes!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
imo the rest of the show should be acted by the theater troupe

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'd be completely ok if the rest of the show rhymed like that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Max
Nov 30, 2002

For actual discussion, I was surprised at how pro - Lannister that play was, given that they currently owe the Iron Bank a shitload of money.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My eyes! My eyes! Oh cruel fate, no more beauty for this beholder / For half a season I'll be beaten / by a waif and the winter soldier!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So since the thing that Hodor'd Hodor was his death happening in the mind of himself when he was young via Bran-rape, he TOTALLY knew what was going to happen to him under that tree and that's why he flipped out and always had to have Bran pilot him.

Bran is a world class rear end in a top hat.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The nights king searched, tracked and hunted / for Bran and Three-Eye's camp / and when he awoken the spell was broken: "No re-entry without hand stamp"

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Regarding little fingers fast travel...Is it really so crazy that Littlefinger got on a boat in the vale, sailed up to Eastwatch then rode west.

That assumes that some time has passed since the last episode but that's a reasonable assumption. Sansa didn't make a dress and a fuckoff fur cloak in two days.

If that were the only instance of people teleporting/time being a selectively applicable thing, sure, it wouldn't be too crazy.

But we're talking about a show where Gilly's child has been a baby for years. The show does not take things like the time it takes to travel into consideration at all. Characters are where they are be because it's in the script.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Regulus74 posted:

But we're talking about a show where Gilly's child has been a baby for years. The show does not take things like the time it takes to travel into consideration at all. Characters are where they are be because it's in the script.

Also, Theon's midnight boat trip to the Iron Islands from the Wall. It's why we can expect Jorah to be in Asshai or Braavos in the next episode despite the weeks/months of travel it would normally take. Denmark is a three day horse ride from Libya after all.

The show needs it to happen to keep the pace up, but it really breaks the immersion the minute you sit down to think about it. I just hope the speed of the show doesn't wreck the characters and that they don't turn into set-pieces who have to be in X so they can say Y to Z to move forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My immersion didn't break when Cat zipped around in the early seasons, it's fine now.