Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That Works posted:

Due to a mixup between my wife and I and a grocery "buy one get one free" sale I have ended up with some 30+ lbs of golden potatoes. I'll be covering my bases with a few recipes I've always used but I figure this would be a chance to try out potatoes in ways I have never cooked before.

Does anyone have a good potato using recipe or two that are not:

-any variation of fried potatoes, hashbrowns, homefries, etc.
-potato soup / vichyssoise
-baked potatoes
-beef stew with potatoes

?
One of my go-tos is pommes persillade: cube some taters, like a half a cm a side, put in a bowl, salt. Let sit for like a half hour or so. Drain off the liquid, pat dry. Heat a pan with a couple Tbsp of duck fat if you have it, manteca/lard if you don't, medium-high heat. Add the cubed potatoes, keep them moving around, keep going until they're getting golden. When you're taking them off the heat, toss with a mix of equal parts Italian parsley and garlic minced together. S&P to taste, serve.

This is a bog-standard classic approach to potatoes, the only thing I'd call out is the letting them sit for awhile first step which a lot of recipes omit. It really helps get the perfect texture/consistency in the finished product: nice and crisp, golden bits on the outside, while the inside is still super fluffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is great! Thanks all, I've got tons of stuff to try.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've been teaching myself to bake simple stuff and I have a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies, but I'm wondering, can anyone give me advice on how to make them softer? I use an old toll house recipe from the 70s and they're great, and sometimes they come out soft, but generally they're crunchy

more baking soda? less sugar? a little more flour?

I was thinking maybe larger cookies, like six instead of nine on a pan, baked a little less time so they're crispy on the edges but soft in the middle? I'd rather just keep my recipe I like and add/remove a small amount of something if at all possible

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Using melted and cooled butter, bread flour and/or pulling them while still underbaked in the center can help.

If you wanna read way too much about chocolate chip cookies, take a look at Kenji's chocolate chip cookie food lab article.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Ooh, the Pave is neat. I was thinking of doing some Hasselbeck (bach?) potatoes but this would be even more fun, thanks. I can't do too many 'potatoes + heavy cream' ones though, whew.

Por que no los dos? (though this one is so rich, it's a holiday recipe)

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/hasselback-potato-gratin-casserole-holiday-food-lab.html

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Frog Act posted:

I've been teaching myself to bake simple stuff and I have a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies, but I'm wondering, can anyone give me advice on how to make them softer? I use an old toll house recipe from the 70s and they're great, and sometimes they come out soft, but generally they're crunchy

more baking soda? less sugar? a little more flour?

I was thinking maybe larger cookies, like six instead of nine on a pan, baked a little less time so they're crispy on the edges but soft in the middle? I'd rather just keep my recipe I like and add/remove a small amount of something if at all possible

Pretty much everything I've ever wanted to improve in chocolate chip cookies is captured in this recipe:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/25037/best-big-fat-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie/
(Caveat: Like all baked good recipes, the amount of vanilla is supposed to be doubled from the author's recommendations. :colbert:)

Melted butter keeps them from spreading, thinning, and crisping as much.
Brown sugar leads to a softer cookie.
Subbing some whole eggs for egg yolks softens the texture.
I want to say the baking soda adds a little lift, but I'm not sure what the activating acid would be.
Larger cookies cooked at a lower temperature come out softer and less crunchy.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I overcooked some inch-thick pork chops and they're dry as gently caress, tough to chew, and hard to swallow no matter how small I cut them. I have like 6 left and I don't want to throw them out. Is there anything I can turn them into to salvage this disaster?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Poldarn posted:

Is there anything I can turn them into to salvage this disaster?

Resolution to buy a thermapen?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Stringent posted:

Resolution to buy a thermapen?

I have a digital food thermometer. I gave it four minutes a side: 80f in the middle. Another four minutes a side: 180f. Oops.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My favourite cookie recipe is this one:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1580654/millies-cookies-recipe

It is just very simple and pretty foolproof, and you can chuck in all sorts of other ingredients and muck about with it, and the cookies have always been good. I use the same recipe to make a giant sheet cookie for making fruit pizza

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Poldarn posted:

I overcooked some inch-thick pork chops and they're dry as gently caress, tough to chew, and hard to swallow no matter how small I cut them. I have like 6 left and I don't want to throw them out. Is there anything I can turn them into to salvage this disaster?

Dice them into tiny bits, toss them with diced onion, celery, cornichon, and pickled hot peppers and mix with mayo, a few squirts of dijon, and a splash of cider vinegar. Season to taste. Boom, pork salad. The mayo and water content of the assorted diced veggies should mitigate the dryness.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Any good chimichurri recipes.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Poldarn posted:

It'd be a lot of work, but I'd be tempted to chop them up pretty fine, mix with some broth, and shove into a pressure cooker for a half hour or so. Then get some masa and some corn husks and get that going and use the resulting braised pork for tamale filling. (And obviously spices, etc.)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

vuk83 posted:

Any good chimichurri recipes.

It's not really a recipe thing. Just throw green herbs (parsley is traditional, you can use cilantro or oregano or basil or whatever you want) in the blender with some olive oil, wine vinegar, salt, and a little bit if chile (flakes, powder, fresh, whatever) until it's a dippable consistency. Some people add garlic. Do what sounds good it's very forgiving.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Wiggles is correct. I usually just wing it, but if you're looking for some specifics for a first time jumping off point, mine usually looks like this:

1 large bunch of cilantro
10 medium mint leaves
X amount of fresh oregano if you have some
1 seeded fresno chile
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Salt to taste

Put all together in a blender/food processor and drizzle in olive oil until you get the desired consistency. I personally prefer a looser, sauce-like chimi.

For the cilantro, cut off the big handle of stems, but don't bother picking all of the leaves out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Poldarn posted:

Save em and chunk them up into some cassoulet later.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
For something that's basically a pasta carbonara is there any hope for reheating left overs? Or should I just take this a lesson to leave the final steps pouring the egg+cheese mixture over hot noodles until the day I want to eat leftovers.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

captkirk posted:

For something that's basically a pasta carbonara is there any hope for reheating left overs? Or should I just take this a lesson to leave the final steps pouring the egg+cheese mixture over hot noodles until the day I want to eat leftovers.

If you heat it up really gently, it will be a carbonara-flavored mostly gelatinous mass.

If you do not heat it up gently, it will be a greasy, scrambled egg and carbonara flavored mass.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Any tips and tricks for a lobster roll?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Frying tofu sucks

Tips?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like you used silken tofu. You need to find firm or extra firm.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Frying tofu sucks

Tips?

Buy firm or extra firm tofu.

Press your tofu. Take it out of the packaging, place it on a baking sheet, put paper towel under it, and a paper towel over it, then place a cast iron pan on top.

Wait 30mins.

Take your tofu, now a lot less wet. Put on cutting board. Cut into small cubes

Toss with cornstarch, I suggest about 3 tbsp but adjust it based on how much tofu you have. Make sure the tofu is mostly covered.

In a pan, over medium heat, add about 2 tbsp oil, wait until it splutters if you splash water in it. Add tofu without crowding the pan. Do it in batches if you need to. Keep an eye on it. Flip the cubes so they get evenly browned. Add more oil if needed.

As the tofu finishes, take it out of the pan with a slotted spoon and onto a plate with a paper towel to absorb oil.

Then make whatever you're making that requires tofu and add the tofu basically at the end.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Thanks for the pork-chop advice, friends.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TheCog posted:

Buy firm or extra firm tofu.

Press your tofu. Take it out of the packaging, place it on a baking sheet, put paper towel under it, and a paper towel over it, then place a cast iron pan on top.

Wait 30mins.

Take your tofu, now a lot less wet. Put on cutting board. Cut into small cubes

Toss with cornstarch, I suggest about 3 tbsp but adjust it based on how much tofu you have. Make sure the tofu is mostly covered.

In a pan, over medium heat, add about 2 tbsp oil, wait until it splutters if you splash water in it. Add tofu without crowding the pan. Do it in batches if you need to. Keep an eye on it. Flip the cubes so they get evenly browned. Add more oil if needed.

As the tofu finishes, take it out of the pan with a slotted spoon and onto a plate with a paper towel to absorb oil.

Then make whatever you're making that requires tofu and add the tofu basically at the end.

do you add anything for flavor before or does it just soak it up later

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

do you add anything for flavor before or does it just soak it up later

Depends on what you're doing: If you're making a flavorful stir-fry like something with a teriyaki or a peanut sauce, then you don't marinade, and let the tofu get covered in whatever delicious sauce. Tofu cubes are basically little flavor sponges that add texture and protein.

If you're doing something like sautéed veggies + tofu, you can marinate them up to about 24 hours in advance. (You can do as little as 15 mins, but I really recommend marinating a little longer). Tofu is, as previously mentioned, a flavor sponge, so you can marinate in whatever you want. I like soy sauce + apple cider vinegar + a little maple syrup + random spices. But basically any combination of a bit of salty + acid + some spices will yield a relatively nice marinade. Tofu is very forgiving, so feel free to experiment. I used to keep a small bag of pre diced, pre marinated tofu in the fridge for quick stirfries.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Eh,

Just went out and got a lobster roll, crab roll, shrimp roll combo instead. They made it better than I could have. Delicious as fuckin' hell.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Smoked tofu is also really good in stir fries as it’s firm and has (surprise!) a smoky flavour.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Eh,

Just went out and got a lobster roll, crab roll, shrimp roll combo instead. They made it better than I could have. Delicious as fuckin' hell.

I did an effort post about this last summer. I scuba dive off of Cape Ann (Gloucester and Rcokport MA), so I catch a lot of lobstah.

I only ever make lobster roll at home if I catch a bunch at once: the tails on the bigger ones can get a little tough, so I make lobster roll out of them. When they come out of the steam, I rip the tails off and thrown them in a bowl of ice water to cool, while we eat the claws and legs.

Slice the meat somewhat thin against the grain. Butter style, toss with lots of hot, melted salted butter, and serve in toasted, buttered rolls. Should be hot!

People will bag on mayo style, but I like it just as much when executed correctly. The trick is use VERY little mayo, this ain't potato salad. Use equal amounts of fresh squeezed lemon juice and heavy mayo, mix with a little salt and pepper. Mix sparingly with the meat and a little minced celery, and serve in buttered, toasted rolls. Sometimes I garnish with a bit of parsley or green onion. Should be room temp, NOT COLD!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Awesome lobster roll advice.

I’m not sure if they’re still there, but a few summers ago there was a scallop bed off of Old Garden Beach.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The in-laws gifted us a bag of huge pink salt crystals that come with a grater. The idea of grating salt setting my teeth on edge like nobody's business... But anyway, what is finishing salt really for? Nobody in this household is much of a baker and despite watching the Salt episode of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, I'm still left wondering about at-home applications for such a lot of fancy salt.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Finishing salt is for finishing dishes. :v:

A little on top of biscuits or cookies or a steak or fish just before serving and stuff like that. Somewhere you want a pop of saltiness.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How come chicken stock recipes call for skimming scum off the top of the water as you boil the chicken? If I don't skim this stuff off and throw it, is it going to affect the flavour? I need to buy a bigger drat pot because this is the 2nd time I've made chicken stock at home and there's not enough space so it's super hard to get the spoon in to skim the surface.

Edit: also, my mum said it takes about an hour for the chicken to boil until it's tender. Should it be at a gentle simmer, or a light rolling boil? I've had really bad luck with this in the past and boiling chicken tends to turn it tough and chewy. I started the chicken off at room temp and put cold water over it and brought it to a boil, then lowered it so it's between a gentle simmer and a rolling boil.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 20, 2019

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Weltlich posted:

I’m not sure if they’re still there, but a few summers ago there was a scallop bed off of Old Garden Beach.

One of my favorite lobstering spots, but the scallop bed is too far out to do from shore.

For me, scallop diving requires a boat with a skipper who knows how to use sonar, so it's not free. But holy poo poo, live scallops that you just caught yourself are one the best things you can eat!!! I usually end up eating half of catch right there on the boat, a quick rinse in fresh sea water and right into the mouth.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So there are light and dark stocks. For the latter you can roast your chicken bones & veggies and poo poo, then throw them in the stock pot.
When you're making a light stock, one of the reasons to do so is presentation, so you want to skim the scum to help with the clarity. With a dark stock, who cares?
When you want to make a real good stock in short time just throw it in a preasure cooker for 2-3 hours. Obviously you can't skim while it's under pressure.
Chicken will likely be tender in less than an hour, depends on how old the bird was and the cut of course. If you're making soup and stock in one go I'd pull and shred the chicken after a half hour or so. If you can't shred the legs/thighs throw those in for another 15-30. Add the meat back at the end of cooking while you keep using the bones for stock.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I did an effort post about this last summer. I scuba dive off of Cape Ann (Gloucester and Rcokport MA), so I catch a lot of lobstah.

I only ever make lobster roll at home if I catch a bunch at once: the tails on the bigger ones can get a little tough, so I make lobster roll out of them. When they come out of the steam, I rip the tails off and thrown them in a bowl of ice water to cool, while we eat the claws and legs.

Slice the meat somewhat thin against the grain. Butter style, toss with lots of hot, melted salted butter, and serve in toasted, buttered rolls. Should be hot!

People will bag on mayo style, but I like it just as much when executed correctly. The trick is use VERY little mayo, this ain't potato salad. Use equal amounts of fresh squeezed lemon juice and heavy mayo, mix with a little salt and pepper. Mix sparingly with the meat and a little minced celery, and serve in buttered, toasted rolls. Sometimes I garnish with a bit of parsley or green onion. Should be room temp, NOT COLD!

Super cool and informative thanks!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

One of my favorite lobstering spots, but the scallop bed is too far out to do from shore.

For me, scallop diving requires a boat with a skipper who knows how to use sonar, so it's not free. But holy poo poo, live scallops that you just caught yourself are one the best things you can eat!!! I usually end up eating half of catch right there on the boat, a quick rinse in fresh sea water and right into the mouth.

For real. That spot is entirely the reason lift bags were invented.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thanks for this! I get the firm stuff costco has. Still worth pressing/draining? I could substitute cornstarch with flour...?

TheCog posted:

Depends on what you're doing: If you're making a flavorful stir-fry like something with a teriyaki or a peanut sauce, then you don't marinade, and let the tofu get covered in whatever delicious sauce. Tofu cubes are basically little flavor sponges that add texture and protein.

If you're doing something like sautéed veggies + tofu, you can marinate them up to about 24 hours in advance. (You can do as little as 15 mins, but I really recommend marinating a little longer). Tofu is, as previously mentioned, a flavor sponge, so you can marinate in whatever you want. I like soy sauce + apple cider vinegar + a little maple syrup + random spices. But basically any combination of a bit of salty + acid + some spices will yield a relatively nice marinade. Tofu is very forgiving, so feel free to experiment. I used to keep a small bag of pre diced, pre marinated tofu in the fridge for quick stirfries.

Can I ask a total amateur question? At what point in the cooking process in consideration with adding cooking oils etc are you adding all the seasoning or sauces for flavor? More of a general question tbh. I'm sure there's some varying answers depending on what it is.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Super stupid question but... why is it that I can't seem to cook anything in my oven or stove top without smoking out my apartment? Food comes out fine, nothing burnt or overcooked but it seems like I set my smoke detector off nearly 50% of the time I cook. Am I just cooking on too hot a stove top even though my food it coming out fine? Using the wrong fat in my skillet?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Ok, here's a weird one, can I sub mirin for some of the water/sugar in a quick pickle recipe (daikon and carrots)? I am retarded and matchsticked this whole loving daikon before realizing I forgot sugar at the store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thanks for this! I get the firm stuff costco has. Still worth pressing/draining? I could substitute cornstarch with flour...?
Yeah, press it, it makes a huge difference. Not sure on cornstarch vs four, but you can skip the cornstarch and still get a relatively crispy tofu

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can I ask a total amateur question? At what point in the cooking process in consideration with adding cooking oils etc are you adding all the seasoning or sauces for flavor? More of a general question tbh. I'm sure there's some varying answers depending on what it is.

For stirfry generally my process is:

Prep all your veggies, pre-fry your tofu.

Heat oil till its nice and hot.

If you're using onions, add them now, and cook until they start to get translucent, but not brown.

Add your aromatics, ginger, garlic, any spices you want to "bloom" or develop flavors for. Wait for 30 seconds, or until you can really smell them. Make sure the garlic doesn't burn or everything will be terrible.

Add your harder veggies, those with longer cook times, carrots, onions, etc. Cook until you're happy with them. (Carrots are fork tender, you like the firmness of the pepper) Your onion should be nice and soft too.

Add the quicker cooking ingredients, mushrooms, green veggies you just want to wilt.

Add your tofu or cooked meat of choice

Once those are ready, add your sauce ingredients, soy sauce, peanut sauce, thai chili sauce, what have you. Let them cook for a little bit until they're reduced, and everything is nice and coated.

During the whole process, keep tasting stuff to make sure its cooked to the consistency you want.

Stirfrys are very forgiving, you can throw whatever veggies you want. The important thing is: onions first, aromatics next, veggies, mixins, sauce.