Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If you push millions and millions of people into a volcano will it eventually fill with ash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

ineptmule posted:

I feel like this is going to sound kind of insane but here goes.

I am going to view an apartment tonight on behalf of a friend who is moving over from America to London for a year from a couple of weeks away. He's a guy I spent a few weeks hanging out with when he visited quite a long time ago so I don't know him particularly well. We were both teenagers back then and I expect we've changed hugely since.

I really want to help him find a place because I know how awful it can feel for people to move here and have nowhere arranged to live, so what kind of attitude and tone should I take when meeting the potential flatmates tonight? As far as I can tell from the room advert they are a bunch of mid-twenties guys who have a fairly similar lifestyle to my own. I'm not trying to convince them that I'll be a good tenant, although making friends with them might help if they think it'll reflect well on my friend... so should I try to remain somewhat detached and professional or not?

Also is it a huge faux pas to bring like, gifts? Like a pack of beer or wine or something? I'm thinking probably it is but you never know.

So are you more worried about the people or the apartment for your friend?
Either way, I'm not sure there's much to deliberate over. Don't bring gifts, just head over there and be friendly and ask a lot of questions.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Porkface posted:

If you push millions and millions of people into a volcano will it eventually fill with ash?

at very hot temperature ash becomes molten like glass. If you constantly added mass to the volcano you would cool the surface, which could cause the volcano to go dormant or could build up pressure and erupt.

God speed stoner goon o7

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why are Sony Walkmans so outrageously expensive? A 128 gb media player is like $1200. I'm baffled.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

Why are Sony Walkmans so outrageously expensive? A 128 gb media player is like $1200. I'm baffled.

Their current gimmick is to appeal to audiophiles, because normal people just use their phone for media now. So it's full speed ahead on pointless "high end" stuff with the line.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there some region of the country where sweater vests are really popular? The number of sweater vests listed on websites for Banana Republic, Gap, Kohls, Amazon lightning deals, etc is truly confounding, given that, Jim Tressel aside, I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a sweater vest in real life. Who is buying them? Why do companies keep making them?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there some region of the country where sweater vests are really popular? The number of sweater vests listed on websites for Banana Republic, Gap, Kohls, Amazon lightning deals, etc is truly confounding, given that, Jim Tressel aside, I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a sweater vest in real life. Who is buying them? Why do companies keep making them?

You see them a lot on golf courses in the fall and spring.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ineptmule posted:

I feel like this is going to sound kind of insane but here goes.

I am going to view an apartment tonight on behalf of a friend who is moving over from America to London for a year from a couple of weeks away. He's a guy I spent a few weeks hanging out with when he visited quite a long time ago so I don't know him particularly well. We were both teenagers back then and I expect we've changed hugely since.

I really want to help him find a place because I know how awful it can feel for people to move here and have nowhere arranged to live, so what kind of attitude and tone should I take when meeting the potential flatmates tonight? As far as I can tell from the room advert they are a bunch of mid-twenties guys who have a fairly similar lifestyle to my own. I'm not trying to convince them that I'll be a good tenant, although making friends with them might help if they think it'll reflect well on my friend... so should I try to remain somewhat detached and professional or not?

Also is it a huge faux pas to bring like, gifts? Like a pack of beer or wine or something? I'm thinking probably it is but you never know.

You treat it like any other apartment viewing, except you will be answering questions on your friend's behalf, meaning you should know the answers to basic stuff like occupation, education, cooking and cleaning habits, etc. If you don't know these things, don't expect to get the flat.

Have you ever been to an apartment showing before? It's usually a relatively informal experience (hard to avoid when both parties are trying to get an idea of what it would be like to live together), but you have to pick up on the social cues the renter gives, and adopt their tone. Some people prefer a more formal interview, and trying to be their best buddy will not be a success.

Proactively asking questions about maintenance and cleaning is good, but don't take over the interview. The renters are running the show.

Nobody brings gifts to a viewing. Being able to pay multiple months' rent up front as well as deposit might make a difference though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks guys. I haven't rented a room since I was a student and things then were usually more like sitting in a pub with a mate and asking if they knew anyone looking for a flatmate. I remember at least once having a beer with the guy I was meeting to discuss the flat.

Anyway I went and met the people living there and it was ok I guess.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I want to talk about getting back on ADHD medicine due to it effecting my job, do I go straight to a psychologist, or do I talk to a physician first?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd see your GP first, if nothing else for insurance purposes if you're in the US.

Just for clarification, though, psychologists can't prescribe or recommend medications; psychiatrists do that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

I'd see your GP first, if nothing else for insurance purposes if you're in the US.

Just for clarification, though, psychologists can't prescribe or recommend medications; psychiatrists do that.

Wait, then what's the difference between a psychologist and a therapist? If that person can't give me brain medicine, why see them at all?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Therapy combined with psych meds is proven to be most effective means of treatment for mental disorders.

Also psychologist will often make diagnosis then refer to psychiatrist for treatment as many diagnoses require multiple sessions.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have a Twitter Account. It's Settings/Profile is set to GMAIL Account X. I volunteered on a website with GMAIL Account Y. The website shows my twitter account from GMAIL Account X. How do I change this? Why is this occurring?

The website was generated by http://nationbuilder.com/ if that matters.

Thoughts?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZbTQ6bAbZA

What is the message of this song?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

c0ldfuse posted:

Therapy combined with psych meds is proven to be most effective means of treatment for mental disorders.

Also psychologist will often make diagnosis then refer to psychiatrist for treatment as many diagnoses require multiple sessions.

wait are therapists and psychologists the same thing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I believe therapist is the general and psychologist is the specific, usually, in that being called a psychologist requires a specific university degree/studies. Also I guess "therapist" probably includes things like rehab, marriage counseling, etc

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

wait are therapists and psychologists the same thing?

Basically. Psychiatrists prescribe drugs but don't really care what you have to say, so you go to a psychologist to do the typical therapy stuff (working through "issues" etc).

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I wanted an audio with phrases in Portuguese being translated to Spanish or maybe even entire lessons in audio form, or something like that. I'm going to Peru in less than a month and I wanted to learn a bit of Spanish before going there, and Portuguese is my first language. But I'm open to suggestions about learning another language but audio while I exercise is probably the ideal setting. I could maybe watch video lessons on my phone instead of cartoons while on the treadmill as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We had our carpets cleaned recently, and the guys first vacuumed with some sort of commercial vacuum that got a lot more out of our carpets than we had when we vacuumed the previous day. How much are these sorts of machines, and where can they be purchased?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

program666 posted:

I wanted an audio with phrases in Portuguese being translated to Spanish or maybe even entire lessons in audio form, or something like that. I'm going to Peru in less than a month and I wanted to learn a bit of Spanish before going there, and Portuguese is my first language. But I'm open to suggestions about learning another language but audio while I exercise is probably the ideal setting. I could maybe watch video lessons on my phone instead of cartoons while on the treadmill as well.

Have you tried this: https://www.duolingo.com? There's a very nice Android/iOS app to go with it as well. It may not be exactly what you're looking for (it's interactive, rather than audio-only), but it can't hurt.

It has Spanish for both English and Portuguese speakers.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 24, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Mak0rz posted:

Have you tried this: https://www.duolingo.com? There's a very nice Android/iOS app to go with it as well. It may not be exactly what you're looking for (it's interactive, rather than audio-only), but it can't hurt.

It has Spanish for both English and Portuguese speakers.

The way this site works seems so cool I might spend some of my meager free time in it, thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If a page is deleted from Wikipedia, is the content preserved anywhere (like how you can view old versions of pages after they're edited)?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

If a page is deleted from Wikipedia, is the content preserved anywhere (like how you can view old versions of pages after they're edited)?

http://archive.org/web/

just paste your URL in, they've stored a lot of webpages.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I got a letter today from my credit card company telling me I can request an increase in my credit limit if I want. They have raised my limit twice since I've had the card without me asking.

Is this something I want to do? The current limit is just fine with me.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got a letter today from my credit card company telling me I can request an increase in my credit limit if I want. They have raised my limit twice since I've had the card without me asking.

They want you to increase the limit so you consider spending more on the card. You don't need to do it if you don't want or need it, but increasing your limit can sometimes help boost your credit score.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's an invitation to go further into debt and it benefits them, not you.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you're a financially responsible person, there's no reason not to increase your credit limit every time they offer it. If can benefit your credit score, and it doesn't cost you anything unless you're dumb enough to carry a balance on your credit card and pay interest on it all the time. The idea is that they want you to have a higher limit so you can go further into debt and pay more interest on your card, but there's nothing actually forcing you to do that.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
One of the ways your credit score is calculated is how much credit you've used versus how much credit you have available. So if you have $1k spent on a $5k card it looks good, and if you have $1k spent on a $1k card it looks bad. So, increasing your available credit can help.

Another way your credit score is calculated is by how much credit you have available compared to how much money you make. So if you have a $1k credit card and make $20k/year, it would be easy to get a new line of credit (buy a car). But if you had $20k in available credit and make $20k/year, you might not get that car loan.

So, decide which of those applies more to you, and make the right move!

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
I had a card that kept doing that years ago, and I finally called them and told them to just freeze it at a reasonable level. The guy on the other end of the line seemed confused (they don't have people asking for lower credit limits very often), but it wasn't hard to do. I just didn't see any reason to carry around a credit card with that much potential for damage if it were ever lost or stolen, and any dispute came up over who should pay for it. I seem to recall the phone guy swearing that they would be completely on the hook for any mis-use, so I pointed out that I'm doing them a favor by limiting their liability, since there was no way I'd ever legitimately max out the card with whatever limit they had on it then.

I think I decided on the limit by taking the most I could imagine realistically wanting to put on the card, and then doubling it so I'd have some leeway in case of an emergency.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

program666 posted:

I did the reverse (Spanish to Portuguese) and I googled "portuguese for Spanish speakers) and found a super helpful 15-20 page cheat sheet that alone got me 80% of the way to being conversationally competent. Don't know where it is now but try just googling that.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
How come some interstate bridges over rivers have the framework above the bridge, while others don't?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dingleberry Jones posted:

How come some interstate bridges over rivers have the framework above the bridge, while others don't?

You will generally need a superstructure-having bridge structure if your spans between underside supports are long, whereas if the spans are very short then you can just have a simple bridge deck.

Consider this bridge. For most of the path over the wide part of the river it doesn't need much in the way of elevation or span between supports because it's not going over places set aside for shipping channels - so in those parts it's basically just build supports, lay a length of road beams over top, repeat.

Then it rises to a cantilevered superstructure in the middle to support crossing a wide span at a higher height than the rest, the cantilever design being needed to hold the bridge over that. You could use an arch or a suspension span or a number of other designs instead, what matters is that just running flat bridging beams over to isn't practical because they'd be too weak to hold themselves and the traffic.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 24, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is there a "PYF Bridges and Tunnels" type thread?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bunnielab posted:

Is there a "PYF Bridges and Tunnels" type thread?

Maybe the Ask/Tell thread from the traffic engineer? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805

My small/stupid question: if I have an external HDD that takes USB-B 3.0, if I plug a USB-B 2.0 plug into it, that should still make it recognise there's something there and spin the drive up, right? I've got an old external that supposedly has a bunch of data on it I need, and it's not spinning up at all, and I'm concerned that data might be gone. Which is a pain, but it's not the end of the world, it just means I have to requisition the DVDs the data came on from storage.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Memento posted:

Maybe the Ask/Tell thread from the traffic engineer? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805

My small/stupid question: if I have an external HDD that takes USB-B 3.0, if I plug a USB-B 2.0 plug into it, that should still make it recognise there's something there and spin the drive up, right? I've got an old external that supposedly has a bunch of data on it I need, and it's not spinning up at all, and I'm concerned that data might be gone. Which is a pain, but it's not the end of the world, it just means I have to requisition the DVDs the data came on from storage.

Sometimes USB does not provide enough power to run an older drive through one plug . They make the y-shaped USB cords that tend to work better with bigger/older drives because they draw power from two USB ports for one drive.

That has worked for me in the past.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

Sometimes USB does not provide enough power to run an older drive through one plug . They make the y-shaped USB cords that tend to work better with bigger/older drives because they draw power from two USB ports for one drive.

That has worked for me in the past.

Yep, I had an external cd drive that I thought as broken but turned out it needed one of those dual ended usb cables.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
For how long can someone who sings professionally perform before they become hoarse?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
External HDD are just regular hard drives in an enclosure. If you take it out of the enclosure you can plug it into your computer as an internal hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Volcott posted:

For how long can someone who sings professionally perform before they become hoarse?

This depends entirely on the singer and how well they've trained their singing muscles.