Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zoidberg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Pgabs, do you think you will oval office?

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kosumo posted:

Pgabs, do you think you will oval office?

That stream was great fun, it's fascinating to me watching and listening to a full on backer in full flow

I love Zoidberg :allears:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

That stream was great fun, it's fascinating to me watching and listening to a full on backer in full flow

I only dropped in for a few minutes, but saw a ship smash its wings off, and then fly around like it was using no clip while the flaming wing bits were still on the landing pad

Have they really not bothered to make any physics at all for the ships still?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Yeah, was funny. (Lame fps and the buggness of the game - nothing to do either)

But he did not like cats at all = he is a total rear end in a top hat.

p.s. so (at lest) 3 of his 30 viewers where goons.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sappo569 posted:

I only dropped in for a few minutes, but saw a ship smash its wings off, and then fly around like it was using no clip while the flaming wing bits were still on the landing pad

The game just looked as poo poo as ever but with streams like that there's no point just wading in and being all 'ha ha this is a scam' or whatever, that'll just get you blocked and it won't change any minds anyway. I prefer to join in a bit and see how loony they are, this guy got a bit excited about the 4th Stimpire for example :v:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

The game just looked as poo poo as ever but with streams like that there's no point just wading in and being all 'ha ha this is a scam' or whatever, that'll just get you blocked and it won't change any minds anyway. I prefer to join in a bit and see how loony they are, this guy got a bit excited about the 4th Stimpire for example :v:

You said you where going to be slave trading for the 4th Stimpire .... why not be a chef and serve up civil meat and blue cheese tacos on the 4th Stimpire Gemini Starliners?

That's my Star Citizen dream (and tickling Mae)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 21, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Stimpire is unironically the best thing to come out of SC

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Second best is that Major Tom video with William Shatner "singing" Common People.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sappo569 posted:

yes, but you can't tell because they use -garbage- input values and ghost thrusters and poo poo to achieve >+/-20g accelerations for instantaneous starts/stops 100% to appease junk food gamer kbm/shooter crowd (like every. lovely. publisher.) once they bled the sim whales dry and threw them under the bus

as a result, 'flight' is sc indescribable from noclip or a 6d0f shooter with spaceship skins... something cr/cig heavily assured nervous backers asking specifically about this early on as something that would never happen like all those wanabee sims for the unwashed masses and that's what was supposed to be 'different' about sc lol

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

So is this the 3.0 that was announced at Citizens Conned 2016, to be released in Dec 2016, where everyone but Robert Space and the intern whom made his presentation all went, '...wait, wut? dec? farrrrrrkkk...".

Or is this the current iteration of 3.0 without any of the promised Citizens Conned 2016 gameplay, such as doors, and other marvellous technical innovations?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Second best is that Major Tom video with William Shatner "singing" Common People.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkyV42W1R9k

Memories, like the corners of my mind

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
http://i.imgur.com/UpQvNMk.gifv

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Experimental Skin posted:

So is this the 3.0 that was announced at Citizens Conned 2016, to be released in Dec 2016, where everyone but Robert Space and the intern whom made his presentation all went, '...wait, wut? dec? farrrrrrkkk...".

Of course not you cuntifas, that is a heavily simplified version of what was supposed to be released in 2016.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

SelenicMartian posted:

And Sandi's brought her junkie elderly lesbian friend back

this guy is rolling hard on blue cheese

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Memories, like the corners of my mind

I'm trying to find the one with the missing features/blown release dates that uses the DUN dun DUNNNN sting repeatedly but no luck. Isn't that one of yours??

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I'm trying to find the one with the missing features/blown release dates that uses the DUN dun DUNNNN sting repeatedly but no luck. Isn't that one of yours??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGfQvQai_fc

:laugh:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I also liked the one with Wham.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Lol :reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6cbwma/the_situation_of_elite_perfectly_explained_by_a/

Looks like the FUD has spread to Elite.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Like what in the literal duck is it going to take to make a cool space trade/fighting/mining/pvp/pve game??
FD pissing in their pool, NMS just straight up lying about what's in there game and egotastical CR and the SC school of how to gently caress everything up constantly. Like a perfect storm of money, desire, community/expectation management, technical skills, artist ability, and lack of autism apparently can't come together. Has to be a pick 2 scenario and screw the rest.
As much poo poo as I give EVE they have been successful in most of it. Unfortunately, you have to hate yourself or self-harm to log in daily. Icelanders though at least seem to be able to get around the pick 2 problem; they just add masochism to their list.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It was always there. Gamers are an unbelievably hard crowd to please, and Frontier has a really quiet development method that bothers a lot of people. The current furor is because they haven't announced any development plans beyond the current release, and people are assuming that means that there must not be any. I'm kind of on the fence. I think ED is a good, relaxing truck driving simulator and I give it a few hours every week. That said, I also think it's a frustratingly buggy, shallow, grindy mess that could be massively improved if the developer would focus a little more on game design and a little less on game mechanics.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

A game studio that releases games? They mustn't know proper game development means having one game that is in a state of perpetual alpha fuelled by weekly disability check.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

DarkRefreshment posted:

Like what in the literal duck is it going to take to make a cool space trade/fighting/mining/pvp/pve game??

I don't think it's possible to make one that pleases everyone. Space sims are in an unfortunate intersection where they have to please fans of every former space-related genre that has now become dated or defunct.

If you make an MMO, people are going to complain that it doesn't have all their favorite X3 building mechanics. If you make a crunchy flight sim, they're going to complain that doesn't have freespace's arcade combat. If you make a space 4X game, they're going to complain that it doesn't have Homeworld's art aesthetic. Make it 2D, people complain about ugly pixel retro bullshit. Make it 3D, Star Citizen is prettier why would I buy this! etc. etc.

So you take a literally impossible set of design requirements and then you hand them to non triple A studios with maybe a dozen guys and a budget for 2 years of development at most. License an engine with its own set of restrictions. Acquire a publisher who imposes their own set of restrictions. Then try to put out a product that's going to appeal to enough people to make your money back.

That's why the space game industry is such a paradox. There's this interesting curve, leaving out ED and SC for a minute. The more polished a space game is, the less innovative it can afford to be due to the money invested in its development. So you get polished, well-funded stuff like Rebel Galaxy and Battlefleet Gothic and Shallow Space and Dreadnought and Homeworld: Shipbreakers and Star Conflict and Star Trek Online, which are all essentially clones or remakes of existing IP's. They've got too much on the line to risk doing anything interesting but can still be competent games if executed well.

Then you get the more indy titles like Astroneers and Kerbal Space Program and FTL, which tend to take more chances because they have a lot less on the line financially. Somewhat ironically, tend to be where the big successes come from as well. But the flip side of that is that for every reasonably successful game in this category there are ten more that end up on the Steam garbage heap.

Then at the far end of the spectrum you have ED and SC and No Man's Sky, games that seemingly have all the money on earth, big fan bases, and the will to actually make that dream game. But then you get back to square one. ED chooses to resolve the "You can't please everyone" dilemma by doing things that please themselves, and hoping the fans come along. SC and No Man's Sky chose to solve it by promising to please everyone and taking their money. NMS has already shown us what's at the end of that path. SC's still on the way.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/theastropub

Bitching about Derek and ELE, bankrupt in 45 days etc :laffo:

18:50, funny how they seems to upset with Boredgamer for something probably extremely relevant. :iiam:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 21, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

some dweeb on another forum posted:

could care less
oval office.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

plz use the right lingo

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Still, so good. nnnnggg

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Note that cuntifat is the right term for the Ben size.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Remember when...

AP posted:

We travel in time to July 2014.

Around the Verse: Episode 1.06 (2014.07.17) is released.

And later pulled.

Watch a full explanation here, before someone pulls this episode too.

:yeah:

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

I actually agree with that thread. Looking at the strides that SC has made Elite is going to lose a lot of players unless they polish their existing content and pump out more meaningful content in the next seasons

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

I actually agree with that thread. Looking at the strides that SC has made Elite is going to lose a lot of players unless they polish their existing content and pump out more meaningful content in the next seasons

I think the whole point of the thread is that Frontier doesn't give a poo poo if they did.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

D_Smart posted:

In today's ATV

"There is one Sun in the galaxy, which will light all of the planets"

There goes the 110 starsystems.

https://youtu.be/xKRX0ZwzXqk?t=1002

I pity the intern that has to special case the Baker system in Chris Robert's showpiece, StarEngine. :smith:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

kilus aof posted:

A game studio that releases games? They mustn't know proper game development means having one game that is in a state of perpetual alpha fuelled by weekly disability check.

At first I read this to mean the studio receives a check because it is disabled, then I realized, yes, that is the correct meaning here

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Come to think about it, Around the Verse is a disability check. "Yep, still disabled"

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think the whole point of the thread is that Frontier doesn't give a poo poo if they did.

I was talking about the discussion and sentiments in the thread.

But honestly Star Citizen always looked like "bigger" project when it comes to space sim games, and the recent lack of development in ED just removes the competition, and probably will sway majority of ED fans away from it. The mood in forums have changed a lot too, from "ED will be supported for a decade and we will play it" to "SC looks neat...".

The fact is Star Citizen is the real space game and Braben knows it. ED is already a zombie.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 21, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

The fact is Star Citizen is the real space game...

...that still doesn't exist.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

The fact is Star Citizen is the real space game and Braben knows it. ED is already a zombie.

:ohdear:

Why can there only be one space game? Different space games have different areas they focus on. And why give up another game prematurely if the one that's going to do everything can't do everything yet, or match the existing games in what they do accomplish?

These are not just questions for you, the specific poster, but for the lurkers- to yourself at least, answer these with all earnestness.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

17:35 never been done before Turok maybe? Perfect Dark? :allears:

Doing gods work, commando o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

'Recent lack of development'? I only putz around with it every couple of months, so I have no clue. But didn't they just release the... commander creator, or whatever it's called, and multiplayer ships within the past couple months?