Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Yeah yeah cool cool, more importantly, what are you going to paint the pubes?

Hope it's mismatched with the hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Has anyone encountered either Vallejo airbrush flow improver or Army Painter washes lifting dried paint when applied? Lately when I've been applying thinned washes I've found that anything more than a bit of gentle movement with the brush begins removing segments of underlying paint, and it almost looks as if it gets slightly gummy when I go over it a couple of times with the brush. I suspect it's the flow improver but I'm not sure, and I'd hate to have to toss it because I have half of a large bottle still left...

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

MeinPanzer posted:

Has anyone encountered either Vallejo airbrush flow improver or Army Painter washes lifting dried paint when applied? Lately when I've been applying thinned washes I've found that anything more than a bit of gentle movement with the brush begins removing segments of underlying paint, and it almost looks as if it gets slightly gummy when I go over it a couple of times with the brush. I suspect it's the flow improver but I'm not sure, and I'd hate to have to toss it because I have half of a large bottle still left...

Yeah, if you use too much flow improver you end up having too much surfactant and it's like dish soap. You really need only a drop or two to break the tension.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yeah yeah cool cool, more importantly, what are you going to paint the pubes?

Lineart is a white-haired character so I'm probably going with a sandy blonde

Eej posted:

Hope it's mismatched with the hair

this is kind of a great idea tbh; I don't know if I'm going to use it since this is a gift but maybe another time

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 12, 2022

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah, if you use too much flow improver you end up having too much surfactant and it's like dish soap. You really need only a drop or two to break the tension.

i sometimes wonder why the hell they put so much flower improver in these bottles if you're supposed to use so little

liquitex sells their flow improver in the same bottle their mediums come in, who is ever needing this much flow improver?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mirthless posted:

i sometimes wonder why the hell they put so much flower improver in these bottles if you're supposed to use so little

liquitex sells their flow improver in the same bottle their mediums come in, who is ever needing this much flow improver?

Gonna hazard a guess that people who are using acrylics to paint surfaces that are much larger than a 28mm mini, are probably going to need a bit more flow improver than just a drop or two :v:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Gonna hazard a guess that people who are using acrylics to paint surfaces that are much larger than a 28mm mini, are probably going to need a bit more flow improver than just a drop or two :v:

Yeah I guess I know dick all about acrylic canvas painting, just holy hell you would need to be using a lot of paint to go through that much flow improver...

Painting on big canvases seems like an expensive hobby

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mirthless posted:

Yeah I guess I know dick all about acrylic canvas painting, just holy hell you would need to be using a lot of paint to go through that much flow improver...

Painting on big canvases seems like an expensive hobby

The art supply companies like Golden and Liquitex have flow improver in larger sizes, and if you paint huge Guernica sized stuff you can get industrial flow improvers like Floetrol in large jugs.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Wow, did not realize that... I'm going to be a lot stingier with it from now on. Thanks for the info!

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I've bought my first ever model made from resin. Do I have to do anything different with this? I've only ever painted lead and plastics before.

Also, will superglue be ok to stick it together?

Also. I should probably try and get the lead pile down before buying any more new stuff.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my son wants me to replace some missing paint in his Minecraft Metal/Pewter figures, and I was wondering, are there any particular special rules for paint metal.

Also the battle harden Rhino is turning out well. Dry brushing some Drayd Bark is doing wonders. Do people think it’s doing a decent job of hiding the splotches and just looking cool? Also I really need to paint with gloves on, so some of my work doesn’t look like a finger print card.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gambrinus posted:

I've bought my first ever model made from resin. Do I have to do anything different with this? I've only ever painted lead and plastics before.

Also, will superglue be ok to stick it together?

Also. I should probably try and get the lead pile down before buying any more new stuff.

you will want to wash the model off with dilute dish soap and warm water to get any mold release off prior to painting. This is common for plastic kits too but for resin it seems to be more important. Additionally, you want to be really careful with the material because it tends to be brittle compared to ABS.

Superglue works fine and is generally the preferred option for resin. Bigger and heavier resin models (figure kits, big forge world models like the manta or knights) should be pinned and epoxy'd instead.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

What's a really good rich purple to use? I ordered some guys from Anvil and haven't actually bought any paints yet, but I'm thinking purple jackets to go with their white trousers and silver armour.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

What's a really good rich purple to use? I ordered some guys from Anvil and haven't actually bought any paints yet, but I'm thinking purple jackets to go with their white trousers and silver armour.
maybe you aren’t looking for a set of 8 paints but these will do every purple you’ve ever dreamed of

https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/vallejo-nocturna-fantasy-pro-set-imperial-purple-8/

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

DaysBefore posted:

If you're looking for something on the red end of purple, I have been doing a bit of painting lately with Golden's So Flat Red Violet a lot lately and it's very nice, vibrant and highly saturated with a very smooth and flat finish, mixes very well too. I have been incredibly impressed with the So-Flat line in general, it is just very very good paint for miniatures

Vallejo Violet and Blue Violet are good options for the middle and blue end of the spectrum

jesus WEP posted:

maybe you aren’t looking for a set of 8 paints but these will do every purple you’ve ever dreamed of

https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/vallejo-nocturna-fantasy-pro-set-imperial-purple-8/

yeah Vallejo makes incredible purple paints and most of the big product lines are comparatively garbage tbh I have painted with so many purples and very few of them get the good coverage you get with vallejo

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 12, 2022

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I painted this guy with Phoenician purple, from citadel, I liked it a lot! Just needed a couple coats.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Dipping my toe into some historicals with Warlord's Epic Waterloo range.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Mirthless posted:

you will want to wash the model off with dilute dish soap and warm water to get any mold release off prior to painting. This is common for plastic kits too but for resin it seems to be more important. Additionally, you want to be really careful with the material because it tends to be brittle compared to ABS.

Superglue works fine and is generally the preferred option for resin. Bigger and heavier resin models (figure kits, big forge world models like the manta or knights) should be pinned and epoxy'd instead.

Ta. It's very bitty, lots of stuff to trim. I've already accidentally removed two skaven feet without even trying

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Help…my son, he is very sick. Its his eyes, he was born like this, how can I save him, please

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Help…my son, he is very sick. Its his eyes, he was born like this, how can I save him, please

Make the middle orange and call it OSL

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Jonny Nox posted:

Make the middle orange and call it OSL

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

A couple things to think about:

How thinned is your paint? From the model I’d guess you could play a little thinner

What are you using for a palette? Even if you don’t use a wet palette, you should make sure you have space to work the tip of your brush until it gives you nice smooth fine lines on the palette before you get to the miniature. Plastic container lid is plenty good enough.

How are you holding your hands? Most people can’t get any brush control if their painting hand is floating in the air. Try touching the base of your hand painting to the hand holding the piece so you always have a point of reference.

What part of your brush are you painting with. Tip for details, side for picking out raised areas.

As for your mistake, the eyes are usually the lowest part. Put a couple layers of your base colour over it then repaint the white. Leave the lowest parts red.

Your work has been pretty good, but a few mechanical changes can really rocket the final product et up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gambrinus posted:

One more tip: resin dust is nasty stuff. If you do any carving on a resin kit you'll want good ventilation and a good particle-rated mask. You probably have an N95 or 10 handy, those will do fine.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
You're supposed to wash plastic models? Uh.... uh oh...

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Bored Online posted:

Plastic =/= Resin. You don't need to wash plastic models, you DO need to wash resin models most of the time as most companies don't do it for you.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Bored Online posted:

I've never washed plastic and I've never had an issue. With resin models, you can often see and feel the white powder release agent, it's pretty clear that they need cleaning.

Cinara posted:

Plastic =/= Resin. You don't need to wash plastic models, you DO need to wash resin models most of the time as most companies don't do it for you.

I think they were responding to

Mirthless posted:

This is common for plastic kits too but for resin it seems to be more important.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I like your Moxy, but this is definitely a thin your paints situation.

Pretty much nothing should be done in one coat, and your going to get a lot more milage out of several thin layers

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Muir posted:

Yeah that's the comment that scared me.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Is there a way to just strip his face?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

isopropyl alcohol and a q tip

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why does everything have to be like this with you, Konrad?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

isopropyl alcohol and a q tip

hold the model upside down as you do it so it doesn't leak over the rest of the paint job

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Muir posted:

I've never washed plastic and I've never had an issue. With resin models, you can often see and feel the white powder release agent, it's pretty clear that they need cleaning.

I had a really bad experience with the plastic minis with Bloodborne needing several good scrubbings to get all of the residue off before they would take a prime evenly.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t know about plastic minis, but I’ve been burned a couple times on unwashed plastic models having whole sections of paint come off with the masking tape. It sucks. :(

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Plastic and resin are roughly the same material, in a sense, and the production process is not dissimilar; That is to say, they spray shitloads of mold release on plastic molds too

The difference between plastic and resin miniature lines is that plastic miniature lines are generally produced in gigantic factories in production runs of hundreds of thousands of units and a part washer is included in the production line

Day 2 progress on my Kingdom Death pinup:

:nws: Front: https://i.imgur.com/tDUgTBh.jpg Back: https://i.imgur.com/pv7fmfc.jpg

the way mistakes just pop out at you always bothers me with high res photos but it's been helpful on this project for knowing where I need to lay down extra paint. I can tell with fine details on GW minis that the intention is to still be able to fit a brush in there, that is clearly not the case with the KDM minis, I knew this was gonna be skill intensive but lmao; fun project but don't expect to speedpaint any of these. There are few, if any, Sculpt Compromises here, painting sub assemblies is required and as evidenced by my Day 1 there are some very difficult seam lines; I actually needed to scribe the thigh seam out once it reached the boot because the seam ate a recess in the mold

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 13, 2022

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Just want an opinion, does the kataphron backpack look good as a replacement for the centurion smokestack?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Demilich posted:

Just want an opinion, does the kataphron backpack look good as a replacement for the centurion smokestack?

Looks good to me. I find the smokestack backpacks to be really exceedingly silly personally, fuel tanks look way better than rolling coal

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Demilich posted:

Its your robot. Do what you like.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pew pew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Its your robot. Do what you like.

What I'd like is someone else's opinion.

Mirthless posted:

Looks good to me. I find the smokestack backpacks to be really exceedingly silly personally, fuel tanks look way better than rolling coal

I don't mind them on the Leviathan, but I'm generally iffy on the smaller centurions. This dude will be a Word Bearer, so the more options available to make it a bit unique the better. I'm debating on adding wings now though.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 15, 2022