Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How hard is the Rainbow Rocket episode? Can I do it as soon as it unlocks(basically right after Elite 4) or should I level up a bit more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Haifisch posted:

To be fair, some of us don't care but are also too lazy to hack things themselves. I used that definitely-not-legitimate Salandit in my run, because why not? Most hacked Pokemon are obvious enough that you can release/permabox them if you don't want to use them. It's not like your save file is marked with a scarlet C for Cheating the instant one of those mons touches your game.

I'm also guessing any kid who gets one of those things would think it's the coolest poo poo ever(unless they're old enough to figure out it's a hacked Pokemon).

Of course, and personally I do release things like that. And yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who would think it was awesome--though that's exactly the scenario where this practice is "making someone cheat" without their knowledge. I'm sure most wouldn't care even if they knew, while some others would.

Not to get too philosophical here, but earning something is more fulfilling than having it given to you, and a challenge is more fulfilling than a cakewalk. As a child, you don't realize that yet, but it's still true. (Or at least it was for me.) I can't help but think that a 'gift' like that isn't necessarily doing a good thing for the young ones. That's my opinion anyway.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

RatHat posted:

How hard is the Rainbow Rocket episode? Can I do it as soon as it unlocks(basically right after Elite 4) or should I level up a bit more?

I managed it straight after the E4 having had the EXP Share on, but if you didn't do that it might be tough. Final boss can give you some trouble.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

less laughter posted:

Fake news. That tweeter is lying, those plushies are fanmade.

Apparently its more of a bootleg than fan project - there's tons of them on eBay right now. Debating getting one for a friend who's favorite two pokemon are mimikyu and umbreon.

Hammerite posted:

Yes, you are being forced to cheat. The game saves whether you've seen the shiny forms of each pokemon as part of the pokedex data. That gets updated when you receive a pokemon through trade. The flag saying you've seen the shiny form can't be deleted.

Pretend you scanned the QR code for the dex entry.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dienes posted:

Pretend you scanned the QR code for the dex entry.

I wasn't aware there were QR codes for shinies. That's nice. It seems like some pokemon don't have QR codes, though? The original example was Celebi. I would guess that's one that doesn't have a QR code.

https://imgur.com/a/EFOqs has all Alola pokemon's ordinary coloration QR codes and about half of them in shiny. All the legendaries are listed as "no QR code".

Is it known how the game interprets/generates QR codes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Guy Forget posted:

Of course, and personally I do release things like that. And yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who would think it was awesome--though that's exactly the scenario where this practice is "making someone cheat" without their knowledge. I'm sure most wouldn't care even if they knew, while some others would.

Not to get too philosophical here, but earning something is more fulfilling than having it given to you, and a challenge is more fulfilling than a cakewalk. As a child, you don't realize that yet, but it's still true. (Or at least it was for me.) I can't help but think that a 'gift' like that isn't necessarily doing a good thing for the young ones. That's my opinion anyway.

:whitewater:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

celebi is super cute but then i remember it has like six mile long arms and i hate it

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Celebi was completely unobtainable as a shiny until the VC release of Crystal. Does the reroll for IV's work like a normal encounter, or are there still three IV's locked to 31? Just wondering what the odds of getting a perfect Celebi through Bank from Crystal would be to compound that on top of a shiny encounter in gen 2.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Once you have Seen it, you can never Unsee it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

RatHat posted:

Levels get fairly high, so if you feel outmanned, you should go train with Poni Island's postgame trainers. Just don't head up the route of the Meadow or you'll run into the bullcrap Mega Alakazam Dexio fight.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I've been thinking a lot about what I would do to a real Pokemon reboot, and I think the thing I want the most is to remove levels. Have every pokemon just have base stats, and have them earn experience that goes towards learning new skills and working towards evolving, but don't attach a level or stat gains to a pokemon. Allow some sort of system for tweaking base stats, as well as have them vary slightly when caught. Make the game more open, do any gym in any order. Choose your starting town and pick from the pokemon available in that area for your starter.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Oyster posted:

Celebi was completely unobtainable as a shiny until the VC release of Crystal. Does the reroll for IV's work like a normal encounter, or are there still three IV's locked to 31? Just wondering what the odds of getting a perfect Celebi through Bank from Crystal would be to compound that on top of a shiny encounter in gen 2.

Gold bottle caps fix that.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CubeTheory posted:

I've been thinking a lot about what I would do to a real Pokemon reboot, and I think the thing I want the most is to remove levels. Have every pokemon just have base stats, and have them earn experience that goes towards learning new skills and working towards evolving, but don't attach a level or stat gains to a pokemon. Allow some sort of system for tweaking base stats, as well as have them vary slightly when caught. Make the game more open, do any gym in any order. Choose your starting town and pick from the pokemon available in that area for your starter.

How would this even remotely be balanced or fun to play?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CubeTheory posted:

Removing levels destroys any sort of progress, and leads to a worse game where you genuinely feel there's no change whatsoever as the game goes on, see late Gen 2. It's genuinely a bad idea to even flatten the level curve like that, removing it entirely would destroy the game.

Why the "open game" thing is terrible was already discussed several times in this thread, and I don't feel like typing it again, so just know it's a bad idea if you put even a bit of thought into it. Pokemon only works as a linear game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

this is a terrible idea, 8 year old me would never have beat pokemon blue without the ability to grind my pokemon to absurdly outmatch the opponents

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is a terrible idea, 8 year old me would never have beat pokemon blue without the ability to grind my pokemon to absurdly outmatch the opponents

I mean, yeah, but I'm not 8 years old and I'm not designing a game as a consumer product, I'm just thinking about what kind of thing would appeal to me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CubeTheory posted:

I mean, yeah, but I'm not 8 years old and I'm not designing a game as a consumer product, I'm just thinking about what kind of thing would appeal to me.

That seems like kind of a pointless thought exercise tbh.

It also makes so many pokemon completely useless since a bunch are designed around levelling up faster than others (with the EXP curves), or evolving getting moves earlier etc. You'd have to redesign most of the game.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anyone up for trading shinies today? I hatched a couple of extra shiny Hawluchas and would rather trade for some other shinies instead of hatching for some.

I would love to have a shiny from the metagross family, a shroomish, Spiritomb, Cofagrigus, the Ferrothorn family, Malamar, the Tyrantrum family, Decidueye family, Palossand, or a shiny Steelix!

I have a few other shinies like a shiny Litten, but it only has Blaze so I dont think anyone would want that.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Realistically I would have been more open to the idea of a Gen 1 remake on the Switch if they didn't try to bleed that Stone with X and Y. At this point, I want something new for the series. I don't want to catch the same mons again, especially not in the same areas.

How many rattatas must I catch before we get something really new?

Edit: That being said I could totally see them remaking RBY in HD for the mainstream appeal.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 8, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CascadeBeta posted:

Realistically I would have been more open to the idea of a Gen 1 remake on the Switch if they didn't try to bleed that Stone with X and Y. At this point, I want something new for the series. I don't want to catch the same mons again, especially not in the same areas.

How many rattatas must I catch before we get something really new?

Edit: That being said I could totally see them remaking RBY in HD for the mainstream appeal.

Blew my mind how the first few areas of s/m were infested with the seagull Pokemon that was several generations old at that point

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They gave it a new ability that rocketed it up all the way to OU at least (Drizzle).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CubeTheory posted:

Base stats do Vary slightly from pokemon to pokemon. It's what IV's are for. Wait...EV's also are just raising specific stats based on what you fight.

Is pokemon a SaGa game?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 8, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

This depends on if you're just playing through the main game or battling other humans. For the single player, you're generally not messing with stat boosting or status moves because battles are just over too quickly and all you end up doing is drag things out. Generally. There are some legit tough fights in the single player.

Battling against humans is a whole other kettle of fish. There, stat boosting moves are very powerful depending on when/how you use them. Predict that your opponent will switch out and use your stat boosting move? Congratulations! You just gave yourself a huge advantage for the next turn. Guessed wrong and they attacked you instead? You run the risk of getting KO'd yourself!

If you want to try sprinkling in a few status moves here's a rule of thumb: buffing your own stats is better than debuffing the opponent's stats.

Big thanks for the info. I'm going through the single player and not fighting other humans so I'm happy to go for the attacking moves.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RatHat posted:

So long as you're somewhere in the sixties, you should be all set
Be prepared for a very long repetitive gauntlet of trainers though, since they were too lazy to incorporate other regions' grunts into the team (granted, knowing most of the team leaders, they didn't give a hoot about their Grunts to bother collecting them in this timeline, so...)

https://twitter.com/wingwire_/status/993476284465405952

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 8, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like the trumpets in rse

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:same:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Base stats do Vary slightly from pokemon to pokemon. It's what IV's are for. Wait...EV's also are just raising specific stats based on what you fight.

Is pokemon a SaGa game?

I can play Pokemon and understand what each stat and move does without the need of extra resources, even if some things are not directly shown to me, and even those things have become more and more clear each gen instead of becoming purpousefully more obtuse.

Therefore, Pokemon is not SaGa.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

My favorite comment on a Hoenn track was "Hoenn: Abusing the trumpets because they were new."

A runner-up is "ALL RISE FOR THE NATIONAL HOENN TENTACOOL ANTHEM." on the Surf theme

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can play Pokemon and understand what each stat and move does without the need of extra resources, even if some things are not directly shown to me, and even those things have become more and more clear each gen instead of becoming purpousefully more obtuse.

Therefore, Pokemon is not SaGa.

Hey Octopath traveller (Which is a SaGa game they're just afraid to bran as one) seems to be pretty clear on mechanics so far. So maybe SaGa will be good.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
What that video did to me is just remind me how good the RSE soundtrack was, which got even better when they remade it giving us stuff like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA3mccI1DjY

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hey Octopath traveller (Which is a SaGa game they're just afraid to bran as one) seems to be pretty clear on mechanics so far. So maybe SaGa will be good.

It's not one because it actually teaches you how to play.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CascadeBeta posted:

How would this even remotely be balanced or fun to play?

you see, it's like dark souls,

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

less laughter posted:

They gave it a new ability that rocketed it up all the way to OU at least (Drizzle).

Was that new? I thought it was just that the other drizzlers weren't obtainable pre-bank support for SM.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
nope, pelipper only gained drizzle in sm

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

When could Rayquaza learn V-Create? Hell, when could any pokemon learn this move? Not even Victini can learn this now, and that's its signature move!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Parrotine posted:

When could Rayquaza learn V-Create? Hell, when could any pokemon learn this move? Not even Victini can learn this now, and that's its signature move!

It was a give-away that people voted for.

It is extremely stupid.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Red Metal posted:

nope, pelipper only gained drizzle in sm

Parrotine posted:

Zore posted:

It is extremely stupid.

I've learned so much in this thread!

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Zore posted:

It is extremely stupid.

When he uses V-Create it looks like he sprouts horns. It's extremely awesome.

Parrotine posted:

Victini's signature is Incinerate.

And also V-Create. But mostly Incinerate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oyster posted:

Victini's signature is Incinerate.

And also V-Create. But mostly Incinerate.

As far as I know, Victini's signature move is Searing Shot. Then again, :thejoke: and I may just be dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

V-Create is a legacy move without a home :ohdear:

I guess it was too powerful? A 180 base fire move that you could volley off twice before a stat drop (white herb) is pretty nutso, I dont think there's anything else as powerful outside of Self Destruct or Explosion