Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Varance posted:

gently caress it, posting my collection. Everything else is digital.

And yes, that first FFXI box is the Windows beta. Anyone want a 15 year old copy of PlayOnline?

That's a pretty sweet collection dude, especially the SNES games in box.

I might just grab XIII-2 and 3 just for the gently caress of it because they're like $5 used on amazon. I might as well try and beat 12 and 13 once I've done my FF14 story quests and my current FF6 run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gammatron 64 posted:

THERE'S SO MANY VERSIONS OF FF4 MAN. SO MANY.

SNES Hard Type, SNES Easy Type, US FFII, PS1 FF Chronicles, GBA, PSP, iOS, Steam... am I leaving any out here?

Definitely a port to the Wonderswan, and maybe some I'm forgetting.

IV gets around a lot, which is fine because it's cool and good.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I beat Final Fantasy X last night and god help me I'm thinking about doing more of the optional stuff later. What's happening?????????? Help?????????

What's the Final Fantasy everyone plays for the Fiestas? Maybe I should play that so I can enjoy those.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Hands off, Steiner is my husbando.

Steiner is everyone's husbando.

I'm curious because we never see what kind of hair he has under that helmet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Color Printer posted:

So I beat Final Fantasy X last night and god help me I'm thinking about doing more of the optional stuff later. What's happening?????????? Help?????????

What's the Final Fantasy everyone plays for the Fiestas? Maybe I should play that so I can enjoy those.
FF5. It gives you a bunch of job classes to choose from and you can build your party pretty much any way you like, plus mastering jobs gives you huge stat bonuses and passive abilities when you're a Freelancer or Mime if you're the kind of player who likes to become overpowered. There are a few speed bump sections in it, and a couple parts of the game are unfortunately obtuse to progress in or hard to see where you're supposed to go, but it's a really enjoyable game overall.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Color Printer posted:

The Fiesta is a gimmick run for FFV. It's a great way to play it for the first time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FJF is probably the best way for me to play FFV since I get decision anxiety when faced with so many jobs, being forced to use just four makes it easier. :v:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

You know something's gone terribly wrong when your copy of FF7 is nowhere to be found, but Spirits Within on VHS is like right there.

- That copy of 11 (top right, under 12) showed up in the mail after I filled out some online survey saying I was absolutely NOT interested in playing an MMO. I wasn't lying, it's never been used.

- The "Fr4me edition" Type-0 case doubles as a picture frame with a few different pictures you can swap in, including Rem dead in Machina's arms from the literal ending of the game. It's flimsy garbage and the slip cover doesn't fit properly.

- Those FF Unlimited DVDs serve as unassailable evidence that, at some point in my life, I was dumb as a rock and had way, way too much money.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm trying to remember if FF U was worse than that weird OVA that was partly based on V.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm trying to remember if FF U was worse than that weird OVA that was partly based on V.

FFU is just kind of a generic anime that happens to have FF stuff in it.

the FFV anime is just loving bizarre with rear end crystals and shooting chocobos and killing off Cid.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

FFU was really loving bad. The Vincent knock-off with a DIRT GUN, the enemy general who was a giant mushroom admiral, the artwork was all really bad and cheap, the entire thing was a mess.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Lisa Pacifist is a good guy.
Earl Tyrant is a bad guy.
Fungus is a fungus.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If we're measuring FFpeens I'm not going to win, but I will post something I see missing from these collections.

Now someone reassure me I'm not the only old guy in the thread.

EDIT: I had this funny feeling that wasn't all of them, and it wasn't.

Man, they used to pack game boxes full of cool poo poo. Check out the charts on the back.

And while we're digging through my closet, have some bonus maps. I'm pretty sure there's a Chrono Trigger one hiding somewhere, too.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 10, 2015

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
None of you people have Crystal Chronicles, and that's bad

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

fronz posted:

Crystal Chronicles was pretty fun (if hilariously expensive to play multiplayer with) and I'm sad SE hasn't tried to make an online version of that game.

<--- Also the moogles are loving adorable

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zombie Samurai posted:

If we're measuring FFpeens I'm not going to win, but I will post something I see missing from these collections.

Nah dude, any collection can have PVC figurines and those tiny statuettes from vending machines in Japan, but it takes a little effort not to let your original materials go to poo poo. As much as I loved the SNES Squaresoft titles, I seriously only have the carts left.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lightning is my husbando

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Leal posted:

Crystal Chronicles was pretty fun (if hilariously expensive to play multiplayer with) and I'm sad SE hasn't tried to make an online version of that game.

<--- Also the moogles are loving adorable

uh your av is from the single-player-only crystal bearer

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Guys, I like terrible video games:

The only RPG stuff I put on display in the house so my wife won't hate me is the stuff that would be uncommon for people to see. Like the Famicom FF carts + a SNES FF5 cart since they're Japan only, and the original disc version of FFT since if I remember correctly those are actually hard to find?

Never got the boxed carts though, I snapped these up as they were pretty cheap since they're not the popular ones. Like FF2 is maybe $3, FF6 would be close to $15 depending where you look.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Bullshit. *buys five more versions of FF4*

The only reason FFIV has so many different versions (besides Japan loving it) is because it's boring as gently caress to replay. There's almost nothing you can do differently, and barely any sidequests, so the Advance version let you pick who to take to the final boss and added some bonus dungeons, and the DS version put in augments.

I like how the game keeps forcing you to try new party combinations throughout the game, so there's a lot of variety in that first playthrough.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Don't forget The After Years...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Varance posted:

I still maintain the only reason they made The After Years was because they were running out of things to port FF4 on.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When they finally install the first video game console directly into my brain, the first thing I will play is FF4.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

fronz posted:

I actually had it at one point, then traded it in as none of my friends were interested in playing it with me. :( (And it needed 4 gbas and 4 link cables, which is the main thing that prevented us.)

Although I'm sure it's pretty cheap now...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Varance posted:

Actually, please do.

I've played Crystal Chronicles all of twice. ...I own four GBAs and GCN link cables. :negative:

(we played the absolute HELL out of Four Swords)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know... I still have a GBA SP, an original GBA, and someone gave me an additional one for free. It wouldn't be that hard to track down a few link cables and an extra gba if I really wanted to do crystal chronicles. Does it work on Wii, or is it GCN only?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know... I still have a GBA SP, an original GBA, and someone gave me an additional one for free. It wouldn't be that hard to track down a few link cables and an extra gba if I really wanted to do crystal chronicles. Does it work on Wii, or is it GCN only?

if your wii has the gamecube controller ports then itll work fine.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

kirbysuperstar posted:

FFU was really loving bad. The Vincent knock-off with a DIRT GUN, the enemy general who was a giant mushroom admiral, the artwork was all really bad and cheap, the entire thing was a mess.

On the other hand, the FFV OVAs had a girl with a crystal in her butt, which made her butt glow frequently, naked chocobos, and the bad guy stealing Cid's brain, which leads to a scene where Cid's ghost holds his own brain in his hands Observer from MST3K style.

Okay, yeah, FFU was worse.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Twelve by Pies posted:

On the other hand, the FFV OVAs had a girl with a crystal in her butt, which made her butt glow frequently, naked chocobos, and the bad guy stealing Cid's brain, which leads to a scene where Cid's ghost holds his own brain in his hands Observer from MST3K style.

Okay, yeah, FFU was worse.

Going through my old posts at from the very start of the thread,

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh wow, subliminal messages in Legend of the Crystals:
There's these robots that speak backwards, with subtitles for what they're saying. Only, one isn't.

"You will buy more new copies of these tapes for all your friends."

Haha! What the gently caress?
And another one? Haha!

"By the way, there's more: if you buy in volume, there is a substantial discount for all who purchase tapes".

Looks like I spoke to soon. gently caress you Legend of the Crystals! rear end-laser? Seriously!? Why?

FFV: Legend of the rear end-laser.

[e]: Holy poo poo that was about 3 years ago :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 11, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I just finished my replay of FFIV on the SNES. Still very enjoyable, but I forgot how hard it gets at the end. You really have to spend some time in the final dungeon leveling up, and the final weapons you get there aren't really optional. Even past level 50 and with all the best gear the final boss is no joke. Some of the endgame enemies are extra weird and creepy, too, thanks in part to the terrible translation making it hard to understand what exactly they're doing. I assume the remakes cleared a lot of that up, but the Breath enemy that just sits there and examines your party was a bit :stare: for one.

I spend a good bit of time near the end experimenting with all the items and magics and stuff I mostly ignored as a kid, and there's some pretty hilarious balance issues and oversights in the original.

- Spells have actual casting delays, but they don't seem related to anything. Situational spells like Quake and Fatal take multiple rounds to cast, while Virus and Nuke are instant.
- Virus (the precursor to Bio) is hilariously broken. It costs less to cast than the level 3 elemental spells and does more damage than them in all cases except for elemental weaknesses. It also does full damage on anything not completely immune to magic.
- Weak is possibly even more broken. It sets the target's health to around 10 HP, and nothing is immune to it aside from actual bosses. It's a late-game spell but the final dungeon is full of enemies with more than 10k HP, making it the most damaging spell in the game when used on them.
- Most of the early-game status effects like Hold, Frog, and Piggy are useless. I think the odds of them working are really low, which don't make them worth casting. Weapons that can inflict paralysis are much more effective because you can hit a bunch of times until it sticks. Frog and Piggy are really funny if you make them work, though.
- The Size spell makes some enemies act really weird. It rarely sticks, but when it does those enemies started casting Size on everything. There are TinyMage enemies that look like they've been Sized, but I couldn't make it land on them to turn them big again.
- Charm works on quite a few enemies, and makes them do attacks they don't normally do. I charmed one pretty innocuous enemy in the Tower of Zot and it started casting Fatal on all its friends. (This also happens in FFVI on a hilarious scale thanks to Gau and Relm.)
- Fatal is useless. I think it takes longer than any other spell in the game to cast, and I couldn't make it work on anything.
- The time spells (Slow and Stop) work on everything. Stop works on anything that isn't a boss, and Slow even works on bosses.
- Conversely, Slow and Fast seem to have no effect on your party. I had both cast on my characters a few times and their turn sequences didn't change at all.
- Wall (old Reflect) only lasts a few turns when you cast it, but enemy walls are either infinite or near-infinite. The one exception to this rule are EvilMasks in the final dungeon, which cast Wall on themselves, Wall on your whole party, and then start bouncing endgame spells off themselves. Except their Walls fail after 3 turns, and if you wait long enough they kill themselves. :laffo:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zombie Samurai posted:

- Conversely, Slow and Fast seem to have no effect on your party. I had both cast on my characters a few times and their turn sequences didn't change at all.

The effect is fairly small, but they do! I learned this as an eight-year-old experimenting with weird ways to beat the Veteran that didn't involve a straight damage race. I wasn't good enough at games to understand "grinding," you see. It's a great way to desynchronize the doom counter :eng101:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Ohh, that's interesting. I was wondering why the Doomgaze-looking sideboss at the end kept casting Fast on us after hitting everyone with that countdown ability.

The death countdown attack is hilarious too, and I could not figure out how exactly it worked. It seemed to count down from 10 to 0 in real time, but once it hit 0 you still had like three turns until it killed you.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The Price of Freedom is a hell of a track.

I should go watch that Crisis Core LP, since I'm never actually going to play it and seeing Cloud before he went crazy seems like it might be neat, even though I'm fully aware the story is awful.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Twelve by Pies posted:

I should go watch that Crisis Core LP, since I'm never actually going to play it and seeing Cloud before he went crazy seems like it might be neat, even though I'm fully aware the story is awful.

Under the Apple Tree is also really good. Hell, CC's OST and most of its characters are really fun and good. It's just Genesis and Angelo making GBS threads things up. New Turk lady is cool and Zack is a fun protag and the old FF7 cast is handled pretty well.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Under the Apple Tree is also really good. Hell, CC's OST and most of its characters are really fun and good. It's just Genesis and Angelo making GBS threads things up. New Turk lady is cool and Zack is a fun protag and the old FF7 cast is handled pretty well.

And the endgame is great which made me forgive the game for introducing Angelos story. Also, the game largely consists of Zack beating the poo poo out off hundreds of Gackt lookalikes which is amazing.

EDIT: Confession time - I was sitting in a buss commuting to work when I beat the game. I *MAJOR SPOILERS* actually teared up when the roulette wheel breaks down but still tries to recall Aerith. It's the first and only time that has happened to me while playing a FF game. That song and the neat way they let the game mechanic enhance the story makes it really memorable. I beat the game twice and did all the optional stuff. No regrets.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 11, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Between that, their mobile games/ports, and stuff like that loving Mystic Quest thing it's kind of mind-boggling how they either don't give a poo poo about Final Fantasy's brand image or are incredibly bad at picking people to uphold it

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I maintain that Mystic Quest is not a bad game, and it has one of the best soundtracks on the SNES.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

FFU was just... loving weird as hell. I only got the first volume of it or so. It had a couple things from the games, like Cid, a moogle, chocobos and the summons (...kinda, they looked more like something out of Tron) but overall it didn't feel a hell of a lot like the games to me.

Spirits Within wasn't even licensed, it was made by Square itself, but it had gently caress all to do with the actual games aside from the name and that fact that the characters were all uncanny valley CGI.And that it had a Gaia lifestream thing kinda sorta like FF7. And it somewhat resembled FF8 if you squinted. And a guy was named Cid. But it was spelled Sid.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's not really awful to be honest, the parts that actually deal with the FF7 story are pretty cool and actually expand upon the characters in meaningful ways. Like you don't just get introduced to sephiroth as some guy, you see a bit of the cult of personality around him before he went insane, you understand more of what SOLDIER was and who Zack was, you see the effects the Mako had on others besides just Sephiroth.

Now the issue is like 2/3rds of the way through the game they introduce their own entirely self contained weird rear end story that ends in killing a giant monster below the earth that is just never mentioned again and then the last scene or so goes back to FF7's story again. Apparently that out of nowhere story was actually a tie in to Dirge of Cerberus but that makes it even worse.

Also it has a fantastic ending, especially since you go into the game knowing how it should end. The Price of Freedom kicking in when it does really makes that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Between that, their mobile games/ports, and stuff like that loving Mystic Quest thing it's kind of mind-boggling how they either don't give a poo poo about Final Fantasy's brand image or are incredibly bad at picking people to uphold it

The Mystic Quest thing was a fake scam.