Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think there's a correlation between video games and real life violence but I do think there's one between people who play sniper classes and mental illness.

or people just enjoy sniping in a shooter, because it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If you're looking for an experience where you get to be completely removed from the action or any threat of danger while occasionally clicking on something might I recommend "Minesweeper".

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Chill friendo, snipers are fine.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Spudd posted:

Chill friendo, snipers are fine.

Hmm...I'm not feeling particularly unchill. However I do disagree and think shooters would all drastically benefit from completely removing sniper rifles. I'm of the opinion that the fewer instances of going 100% to dead instantaneously the better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually all shooters would become less fun because the fundamental concept of 'positioning' would comepletely become meaningless because of the way almost every FPS map ever is designed. Snipers are in these games to teach that every combat encounter has 30 'good' angles and probably only 2-3 'correct' angles. Like ok, we're poking this Roadhog, we're harrassing this Zen, this is eas-BOOM HEADSHOT oh well thats 100% my fault for standing out in the open and assuming I was safe.

Without sniping you also remove the idea of range from being multi-dimensional to binary (Melee and bullets) and that makes the game more predictable, and unpredictability is probably Overwatch's biggest positive over any other shooter right now.

Snipers are fun: Learn2Snipe

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Zenyatta is my favorite sniper

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i like playing lucio and zen a lot just because of their audio cues and reload/attack/doin stuff animations

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The removal of one shot kill sniper rifles doesn't necessitate the removal of heroes that benefit from long sight lines so yeah I don't buy that argument at all.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Zenyatta is my favorite sniper

Zen is a great way to actually make a sniper class interesting. He supports his teammates in ways other than just killing things and is vulnerable enough that he has to keep moving to stay alive.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Woops double post

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Parachute posted:

i like playing lucio and zen a lot just because of their audio cues and reload/attack/doin stuff animations

Zenyatta has my favorite melee attack

Parachute
May 18, 2003
zen heeds a move where he claps his hands together and does that thing where you push your middle fingers down and spin your hands and wiggle your fingers.

maybe a victory pose? first person transcendence thing?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
imo remove zen's ability to jump and give him the ability to float horizontally

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

turtlecrunch posted:

We also have a few other experiments going on.

Jeff shot a guy into space and is forcing him to watch bad Twitch streamers until he goes insane?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

Hmm...I'm not feeling particularly unchill. However I do disagree and think shooters would all drastically benefit from completely removing sniper rifles. I'm of the opinion that the fewer instances of going 100% to dead instantaneously the better.

Most snipers in Overwatch, like most players in general, aren't actually overwhelmingly good or even very good so all you need to do is play marginally better than the average Widowmaker and they're essentially handicapping the enemy team for you.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
@Jeff Kaplan; please make it so that when you put discord orb on Widowmaker her sights are replaced with an image of Zenyatta's face staring at her and he can't emote or anything but you can tell, you can feel how disappointed he is in you

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Armacham posted:

Kicking people to death is the best. Among my favorites to kick into oblivion a Mercy, Reaper, and Roadhog.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Armacham posted:

My favorite thing to do with pubs is tell them Zenyatta has a special bullet decal when he kicks a wall. I get around two or three people to watch and as I kick the wall, I spray down his spray which is his foot kicking something.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Jeff shot a guy into space and is forcing him to watch bad Twitch streamers until he goes insane?

I knew they changed some things to make the reboot relevant, but dang they really went the extra mile didn't they?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think there's a correlation between video games and real life violence but I do think there's one between people who play sniper classes and mental illness.

:shepface:

http://mashable.com/2017/04/24/overwatch-pro-racist/#cbRnRL4_rOqT

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Kicking people to death is the best. Among my favorites to kick into oblivion a Mercy, Reaper, and Roadhog.

i kicked a riptire once

i bout nearly had a goddamn heart attack but the tire died and i did not

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I knew they changed some things to make the reboot relevant, but dang they really went the extra mile didn't they?

Nah, Kinga considered that one too unethical.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
So is there actually a way to get past this "your team killed five of them and then Mercy came out of her hole and revived them all" thing that doesn't involve being a top-tier flanker/sniper?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bleck posted:

So is there actually a way to get past this "your team killed five of them and then Mercy came out of her hole and revived them all" thing that doesn't involve being a top-tier flanker/sniper?

Either find and kill the Mercy as a preventative measure, or kill everyone again.

As a Mercy player, please do not find me and shoot me.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Takoluka posted:

Either find and kill the Mercy as a preventative measure, or kill everyone again.

As a Mercy player, please do not find me and shoot me.

It feels really good to dive a mercy, especially a hiding one, though

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Keep track of her as you are approaching the team fight (she's at one end of the glowing beam), play Mercy yourself so you learn the typical hiding spots. Advanced tactic: get your team to a) reserve ults for a group push and not just blow them whenever, b) reserve ults even more in the actual fight until you know she is dead. Ex. Earthshatter, kill 3 or 4, she rezzes, use grav+tracer bomb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bleck posted:

You don't have to be a "top-tier" flanker you just have to be better than the Mercy. :v:

Or, if you start succeeding, better than the McCree who will hover over her like a vulture waiting for you to show up.

e: Also note that you don't have to kill Mercy to succeed as a flanker, if you stop her from healing her team you're doing work and if you make her run out in the open where EVERYONE can shoot her you've done your job.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Whenever you're fighting a team with a Mercy on it you should pretty much treat every fight you have with them like they've got a rez in the pocket, except for immediately after they rez. It won't always be true but fighting as though it is won't really do you wrong. Especially look for ways to be economical with ults...if your team blows three ults to wipe everyone but Mercy and Mercy uses one ult to undo all of it then you've hosed up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kai Tave posted:

Whenever you're fighting a team with a Mercy on it you should pretty much treat every fight you have with them like they've got a rez in the pocket, except for immediately after they rez. It won't always be true but fighting as though it is won't really do you wrong. Especially look for ways to be economical with ults...if your team blows three ults to wipe everyone but Mercy and Mercy uses one ult to undo all of it then you've hosed up.

Tldr: shoot the medic first everything about this game is a war crime already from the non-uniformed military forces to the child soldier figleaf to the weird militarized genetic hybrid gorilla to the several uses of poison gas or liquid chemical agents, the god drat nazi who hits people with a hammer (who is also physically handicapped with his short stature), and the clearly unethical usage of elderly combatants under the excuse that they said they wanted to fight.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 25, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah also like even if Mercy doesn't have a Rez, they don't have heals anymore.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah also like even if Mercy doesn't have a Rez, they don't have heals anymore.

Or a bigass damage boost. Shooting medics is like the best thing you can do for your team if you're thinking of tradeoffs, outside obvious poo poo like needing to skip shooting the medic so you can shut down an ult and nobody else can take care of the ult.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

While I do not wish to undermine the value of the advice given, I feel like "shoot Mercy" is perhaps lacking in strategical clarity

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bleck posted:

While I do not wish to undermine the value of the advice given, I feel like "shoot Mercy" is perhaps lacking in strategical clarity

Shoot the mercy unless doing so will allow another enemy to kill you or multiple teammates.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Bleck posted:

You sound like someone who doesn't shoot Mercy in general, no mercy for Mercy's.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I mean, there's a whole other five peeps who are generally gonna be in my way (most of the time, one of them is Reinhardt, you know?), and almost all of the maps are built around chokepoints. I get that "shoot Mercy" makes sense, but what I read is "shoot Mercy [once everyone else is dead, since that seems the only way to get a clear shot]". And then Mercy revives everyone, which leads to the same question.

So, more broad questions - what are good ways to get around the team to get to Mercy first? And barring that, any advice on how to play Genji/Tracer/Sombra?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bleck posted:

I mean, there's a whole other five peeps who are generally gonna be in my way (most of the time, one of them is Reinhardt, you know?), and almost all of the maps are built around chokepoints. I get that "shoot Mercy" makes sense, but what I read is "shoot Mercy [once everyone else is dead, since that seems the only way to get a clear shot]". And then Mercy revives everyone, which leads to the same question.

So, more broad questions - what are good ways to get around the team to get to Mercy first? And barring that, any advice on how to play Genji/Tracer/Sombra?

Genji is for kill confirms and harassment, Tracer is for engaging and kill confirms, and Sombra is for engaging and harassment.

As Genji you're going to have a hard time getting a Mercy down by yourself while Tracer and Sombra are perfect for taking care of Mercy because they have the tools available to safely get behind enemy lines and to begin picking off or disabling the Mercy.

A good gauge for determining what counters a class the hardest is what players of that class complain the most about. Mercy players tend to tell me my Tracer and Sombra are very frustrating, so something must be going right.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Shoot mercy" means that she's your top priority, but good positioning and good trades are still important and you shouldn't place yourself in a bad place just to try and shoot a Mercy.

If you are Sombra or Tracer you try to beeline to Mercy when she's in a bad position. Tracer can wreck her extremely fast and Sombra can hack her and make her lose her otherwise really good escape. As Genji you do your usual Genji stuff: try to land a combo on her, but getting to her can prove challenging. Do remember that she has to be closer than Ana to heal, so if you harass someone outside of her effective range and force her to fly to them, you can try and switch to her (but it's a 1v2 now so probably just run).

As anyone else, just keep an eye on her during teamfights. Try not to lose her: there's usually a beam somewhere that tells you where she's at. Sometimes targeting is not the right move, but she WILL have to peek to keep healing/boosting, and when she does you need to be in a position you can take advantage of.

If you're a hitscan (or good with projectiles) hitting her as she flies to a teammate is easy on the lower ranks. I bet part of the reason why Blinky recommends turning toggle GA off is so you can let go and be less predictable when flying larger distances.

And as someone else said: unless she just used it, always asume there's a rez available. She can charge it surprisingly fast if your team isn't great at comfirming kills. A bad rez is actually great for your team so if you can't kill her, at least try to position yourself in a favorable way for the oncoming rez (if, for instance, you can get high ground and overlook Ana's body, you might have an easy pick).

(I'm high plat so take my advice with a grain of salt: I'm bad)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Something that's fun to do is to force out an early rez. I'll usually wait until someone has died in a fight, jump to where she is (using winston in this scenario) and start shocking. She'll rez to get out of it, she'll still probably die and its early enough in the teamfight that your team probably has a few ults left.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

Something that's fun to do is to force out an early rez. I'll usually wait until someone has died in a fight, jump to where she is (using winston in this scenario) and start shocking. She'll rez to get out of it, she'll still probably die and its early enough in the teamfight that your team probably has a few ults left.

Can confirm, this is fun as hell if you pull it off. It relies on having a character that can move to put pressure on Mercy right as picks start happening in order to force the player to make a snap decision, which Winston is very good at.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Honestly my biggest issue is the timing for when the invulnerability wears off. I've missed so many pulse bombs whiffing it through them half a second before the invulnerability is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Winston or Sombra are great for distracting the backline or to pin down Mercy, which can make openings for the rest of the team to kill her off.

Honestly Sombra can be pretty great for big brawls for that reason - EMP the team, then while the rest of your team is cleaning up go hunt down Mercy if she wasn't in the radius and either hack or kill her.