Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd like to think that after Haley and Belkar aced half the Thieves' Guild and Bozzok became obsessed with tracking down the person who definitely could kill him again, somebody with some sense probably started coming up for a contingency plan for when he finally did get himself killed. Probably that halfling with the soul patch, he's got a good head on his shoulders. He could probably set up a new figurehead for the guild.

Aside from that, there's also the fact that he died while away on a business trip. He left somebody in charge while he was gone, and they have a good amount of time to put together some organized succession plan while he's indefinitely away on business.

I like poking around the archives and finding things that I forgot, like the the gnome mom and pop weapon shop or Vaarsuvius being utterly impotent between committing genocide and getting beaten down by Xykon. Ghost Roy even met V's subcontractors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That halfling second-in-command sorta guy looked pretty savvy. I bet he had a contingency plan for this.

That would be "Hank". I mean, he does say that it took a year for Bozzok to consolidate power. The Thieves guild isn't the only group in town. The others find out Bozzok is dead, they gonna start try to move in, push the boundaries.
Take advantage of the situation. Even if Hank does have a plan, still gonna be alot of chaos.

Not really something that will likely ever come back up in story, but I do like how it feels like a living world. Their actions have consequences.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well, maybe. Thing is, once Bozzak had himself an (almost) indestructible Crystal Golem, I tend to think that he'd use her to wipe out all the significant opposition in Greysky before he went after Haley. So I think it likely that Hank's running Greysky pretty much unopposed.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

jng2058 posted:

Well, maybe. Thing is, once Bozzak had himself an (almost) indestructible Crystal Golem, I tend to think that he'd use her to wipe out all the significant opposition in Greysky before he went after Haley. So I think it likely that Hank's running Greysky pretty much unopposed.

Bozzok isn't as clever as he (and you) thinks he was. Haley embarrassed him greatly. He wasn't going to sit around on that.
PLUS, this whole endeavor? Completely Bozzoks own thing. Hank and the others would not have backed him up on this. They had no reason to do so, AND the money Bozzok spent on this, was meant to have raised all the guild members.
Putting the guild in a position of severely tanking their capital, or breaking the contract with Haley.

PLUS

Crystal is (even more) deranged, and her hatred of Haley is the only focus she has.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Bozzok isn't as clever as he (and you) thinks he was. Haley embarrassed him greatly. He wasn't going to sit around on that.
PLUS, this whole endeavor? Completely Bozzoks own thing. Hank and the others would not have backed him up on this. They had no reason to do so, AND the money Bozzok spent on this, was meant to have raised all the guild members.
Putting the guild in a position of severely tanking their capital, or breaking the contract with Haley.

PLUS

Crystal is (even more) deranged, and her hatred of Haley is the only focus she has.

Yeah letting half your workforce stay dead (effectively letting the other half know you would have let them stay dead) seems like a bad move for the long term health of the organization. Letting Haley leave made him look bad, but it probably wouldn't have cost him half the guild.

Instability makes an opportunity for a rival to form a new guild or take over. And since most of his "soldiers" are dead he'd have to try to fight the new order by himself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Once Bozzak left, someone with a bit of sense and a decent nest egg (like, a member who had been embezzling guild funds for years) could point out to the surviving members that Bozzak would definitely have left them for dead, and start paying to raise the other half. It wouldn't be quite that clean, but someone like Hank could definitely oust the old boss while he's out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Man, I'm really going to miss Belkar when he's gone. Especially after his character arc, he's legitimately very entertaining.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Man, I'm really going to miss Belkar when he's gone. Especially after his character arc, he's legitimately very entertaining.

Belkar and Durkon are some of the best and most developed characters in the webcomic right now, which is kinda hilarious, considering the state they were for the most of the OoTS run.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

On a similar note, the combat scenes in the past two books have been fantastic and I'm looking forward to more fighting in the current book.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also, pretty sure V is level 17, since their Forcecage lasts thirty-four hours.

But maybe they got energy drained or something.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also, pretty sure V is level 17, since their Forcecage lasts thirty-four hours.

But maybe they got energy drained or something.

Someone already noted the +1 caster level shiny bauble held by v's familiar

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ikanreed posted:

Someone already noted the +1 caster level shiny bauble held by v's familiar

O rite, I thought it was funny that Rich had to keep drawing it in the hundreds of subsequent comics.

e: though I guess the familiar doesn't appear that often

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

SKULL.GIF posted:

On a similar note, the combat scenes in the past two books have been fantastic and I'm looking forward to more fighting in the current book.

There are so many potential fights upcoming and they’re all going to rule

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My parents got me Blood Runs in the Family for my birthday.

God drat these books get thick. :stare:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cup Runneth Over posted:

O rite, I thought it was funny that Rich had to keep drawing it in the hundreds of subsequent comics.

e: though I guess the familiar doesn't appear that often

His name is Blackwing

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lt. Lizard posted:

Belkar and Durkon are some of the best and most developed characters in the webcomic right now, which is kinda hilarious, considering the state they were for the most of the OoTS run.

I completely forgot about Haley's character arc prior to the above discussion, and even now I can only vaguely remember bits of it involving Elan and her dad.

Belkar and Durkon's arcs these past couple books definitely read like "with age comes wisdom" inspired stories compared to what was being talked about prior to Blood Runs in the Family. Kind of like the difference between Dad of Boy Kratos and original trilogy Kratos.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lt. Lizard posted:

I think part of it is that characters like Haley and Elan's character arcs were not only much earlier in the comic, but also followed a much shorter, more expected path. Even Elan's slowly growing revelation, that defying the expectations of stories makes for a better life and better stories, happened mostly over a fairly short period of time.

By contrast, Durkon and Belkar's arcs have been a much slower burn. Durkon's had a climactic moment of personal apotheosis, and Belkar is fast approaching one as well. The moment of his redemption is absolutely going to have a huge impact on the way the final act develops and resolves.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We are absolutely gonna cry, gently caress you rich

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Looking back, I also find it beautifully ironic and a storytelling masterstroke that Miko, who rejected every possible opportunity for introspection or redemption, had Belkar as a nemesis, given his eventual character development.

Edit:

And here’s me from eight years ago being as wrong as humanly possible.

PMush Perfect posted:

Belkar's is going to have all the same problems that the fourth Pirates movie did. People may love the character, but he can't hold a plot down on his own.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 30, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Where is that rat skull from? I vaguely recall it coming up in an earlier strip, where nobody wanted it and it was left unclear where it wound up, but have no idea when or where it would have happened.

You will have to wait until the prequel side story to know how Han, I mean Haley, got that rat skull.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
My personal theory I've been sitting on for a while with Belkar is that he's going to sacrifice himself to save Redcloak. It would tie up his arc nicely of him saving someone who seems evil to the party, like how Durkon sacrificed himself for Belkar, it would give Redcloak a perfect moment to step back from the cliff and switch sides, and it would even be a big moment for Roy's character- not only is it Belkar doing something selfless and trying to be helpful, but it's a PC sacrificing themselves for an NPC. It woudl ultimately make sense, too- if there's a situation where the only way Redcloak lives is Belkar dying to save him, only one of those people is holding the 9th level spell slot that can save reality.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Redcloak is too far gone to change sides just because some no-name halfling saves him from something. As it stands now, anyway.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing about Haley's development is that at the start of the journey, she was one of the most put-together people in the party (with an additional layer of hiding everything that could possibly be a weakness) so now that she's got all of her issues resolved and no longer has to put up a front at all, it doesn't really outwardly seem like she's moved that far. I doubt Roy has noticed much of a difference, and Durkon certainly hasn't.

For Elan, most of his arc has involved figuring out how to not change that much as a person and just be himself in a context where he's useful instead of just annoying. He's still not the sort of competent partymember that Roy was desperate for in the early days, but he's shown his usefulness in his own way. He's the comic relief instead of the central main character like his father wants for him, but he still has valuable contributions.

I think his one biggest moment of development was when Nale forced him to be solo and he had some time where he had to rely on himself and learned his prestige class to recontextualize his goofiness, and from there on he maintained a steady course while the others grew to accept him more for what he was.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The real character development is less about each member's individual changes and more about the Order learning to function as a team rather than a loosely affiliated group of adventurers. That has involved growth on the part of some members, but some of that's also orthogonal to the group's development.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

THE BAR posted:

Redcloak is too far gone to change sides just because some no-name halfling saves him from something. As it stands now, anyway.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time some random person he didn't care about and whose name he didn't even know sacrificed their life to save his and sparked an epiphany that led to character growth.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Reading through the comic some more, and so many of the big fights have the bulk of the big character parts being done by people outside of the party, like the airship crew or the big mass of Durkon's extended family showing the best of dwarvenkind. I feel like if Rich decides to make another project after Order of the Stick, he's got what it takes to do it. Now that literally everyone else is gone, there's nobody else to spice up the battles, and Durkon's match with Redcloak was downright speedy since none of them were willing to reassess their feelings.

Roy has kinda reached a point in his character development where he knows he personally doesn't have everything it takes to do everything that needs to be done, and on top of that, he can't even fully control the party, he can only facilitate it the best he can, so he's gotten pretty humble practically to the point of melancholy. I think he's still not emotionally over the fact that Durkon turned on him. It was also Julia's idea that made him reject Durkon, which I don't know if Redcloak might be more willing to deal if he could be eased into the concept of negotiation or if Redcloak would've just used it to set a trap. Roy's maybe accepting too much advice now in lieu of his own personal judgement and feelings.

Also, I don't know if we're going to see anybody more ascend to godhood to try to create a new quiddity, but the gods are definitely going to come into play again, and one of them has already declared that he's going to betray everything if Durkon fails. Not good. I wonder if the dragon goddess's plan for the Dark One is to hide him in a hole just to hide him in a hole so that she can use his power to make her parts in the next world be more powerful than any other god's. Still no idea when we'll see yarn winding yarn.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Durkon still has one Sending left -- he was going to use it for Redcloak, but instead decided to go to him directly. That spell's going to be important at some point.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I guess, but pulling the same character development twice doesn't feel like Rich's deal.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Durkon still has one Sending left -- he was going to use it for Redcloak, but instead decided to go to him directly. That spell's going to be important at some point.

He's gonna use it to call Ma, like that guy on Who Wants to be a Millionaire that used his phone lifeline thingie to call his father and tell him he won.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

I guess, but pulling the same character development twice doesn't feel like Rich's deal.

Echoing something to ease someone into a revelation isn't reusing the same, it's building on it. When Redcloak was saved by a hobgoblin, it reminded him that hobgoblins are people too with the same drives and ability for self-sacrifice as goblins. If a halfing had been the one to do it first, he'd dismiss it, but with the echo of his realization about hobgoblins, he might be willing to extrapolate one step further out. It's like how Durkon has sacrificed himself more than once, it's not reusing the idea of sacrifice, it's contextualizing Durkon's actions. If turning himself to stone to stop the council had been the first time Durkon sacrificed himself, we might have thought he only did it because he knew someone would break the enchantment on him. But since we've already seen him sacrifice his life for Belkar, we know that he genuinely was just willing to sacrifice himself to save the day. Or even 1218- that's not the first time Roy has taken Elan's advice, but the fact that he's doing it again shows that it wasn't a one-off desperation play before and that he really does consider Elan's talents now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

New page

Redcloak is thinking emoji.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

And Xykon is learning the merits and benefits of being a murder hobo. You'd think he'd know already, but I guess there's some nuance to it that you can only normally get in a good-aligned party or something.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Welp, yup, Redcloak is onto it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh, this is going to be bad. The Evil Quad are going to pop the Order's door, trigger the trap, and everybody is going to realize what's going on.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, I've got my money on them opening the door and not seeing the party despite seemingly being three feet away due to whatever the hell the trap is

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeah, I've got my money on them opening the door and not seeing the party despite seemingly being three feet away due to whatever the hell the trap is

So kinda an inverse of the Girard illusion?

Instead of them thinking they were there, but they weren't, they're actually there, but they don't know it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

That's my bet as well. Maybe some new monsters will be in there.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Thats what my guess is going to be too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that scorch mark is going to be significant, due to the possibility of the part of the green room that was "replaced" not having it, leaving half of a scorch mark there for Team Evil to discover and be confused by.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. Remember that the other thing "going on" with the caves is that the MitD has been marking doors as searched when they haven't been.

If it were just "they're figuring out the nature of the trap", there wouldn't be the question of whether the monsters are coming back faster than usual. Redcloak is glomming on to the idea that the marking system isn't working, or is being sabotaged.

My prediction is that this is going to be the distraction to keep them from confronting the party - Team Evil is going to break away to figure out what's going on, and maybe start a confrontation with MitD, and the OotS will be free to explore the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

skeleton warrior posted:

I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. Remember that the other thing "going on" with the caves is that the MitD has been marking doors as searched when they haven't been.

If it were just "they're figuring out the nature of the trap", there wouldn't be the question of whether the monsters are coming back faster than usual. Redcloak is glomming on to the idea that the marking system isn't working, or is being sabotaged.

My prediction is that this is going to be the distraction to keep them from confronting the party - Team Evil is going to break away to figure out what's going on, and maybe start a confrontation with MitD, and the OotS will be free to explore the dungeon.

They might not think that the MitD is responsible, but blame the Order; after all, Durkon and Minrah did lead them to that door.

If that's the conclusion Redcloak comes to, it might be even harder to get him to cooperate, since it's now been "proven" to him that the OotS is engaging in subterfuge against him. Dwarves distract him, sneaky party members engage in sabotage, and even if the monsters that the bad guys were led into don't manage to take them out Team Evil now can't trust the markings they made before. Obviously that's not actually what's happening and has some holes if you think about it, but it seems like a conclusion that Redcloak's biases could easily lead him to.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 5, 2020