Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I haven't been able to play this DLC and have been seeing diverse reactions on social media. Is it good, okay, or a horrible crime that shall be carved into the foreheads of the developers, lest they forget their horrendous sins?

It's fantastic, but pretty difficult even for Dark Souls content. The final boss fight is undoubtedly one of the best boss fights in the series, the environments are fantastic and there's a ton of interesting lore (even if they don't necessarily answer a lot of questions)

I'm morbidly curious to see what the people who hate on this DLC are basing their hatred on, but I'm pretty sure it's the same people who were frothing mad that DS2 wasn't just DS1: Remastered.

nopantsjack posted:

Is it more substantial than Ashes?

It's much larger and has 4 bosses, lots of good fashion, interesting new spells and weapons and some amazing boss fights! :kimchi: Also some ridiculously gorgeous setpieces if that's your thing.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

If you reset the Spear of the Church battle at the Purging Monument and then warp to Filianore's Rest, it loads the boss fight but you're stuck on the other side of the fog :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I haven't been able to play this DLC and have been seeing diverse reactions on social media. Is it good, okay, or a horrible crime that shall be carved into the foreheads of the developers, lest they forget their horrendous sins?

Its good af

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The DLC is fun to play through and there were only a few bullshit moments. However, it feels like From went out of their way to answer absolutely no questions. Don't expect anything to be resolved aside from plot threads started by the first DLC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone ever played on the new Undead Match maps? It's never given me a game on one on random, and apparently no one's looking at the others in matchmaking.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This second DLC just throws into sharp relief how anemic Ashes of Ariandel was. One fairly mediocre zone and two obnoxious boss fights versus two incredible zones and the best boss fights in the game.

EDIT: If you want some real crazy lore poo poo, you should kill the old woman at the Dreg Heap. The description on their ash is...hm....

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

However, it feels like From went out of their way to answer absolutely no questions. Don't expect anything to be resolved aside from plot threads started by the first DLC.

I both agree and disagree. They drop some enormous lore bombshells (Dark soul, pygmies, Gwyn & Co's involvement with mankind) but ultimately ends up shifting the questions rather than answering them. For example, we now know that The Gods feared the dark soul and "gifted" the pygmies the ringed city, locked off from the rest of the world and sealed the creatures of the abyss with a seal of flame (as symbolized by the ring of fire around the darksign) ..... but that just brings up questions like who even ARE these pygmies, especially in relation to mankind at large? Did locking them in the ringed city even do anything? What does any of this mean for the endings? etc.

As long as you didn't expect them to wrap anything up (and why would you ever expect that) it brings up tons of extremely interesting lore and a pretty interesting end/send-off to the series.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 30, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Where is the Purging Monument at? I've searched high and low...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Where is the Purging Monument at? I've searched high and low...

Its very well hidden. Check out the wall next to the bonfire in the swamp.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Profaned Greatsword +5 with 35 Str & Dex continues to waste every enemy.

I expected it to be less useful since this DLC is fire themed wheras ariandel was frost, but it doesn't seem to matter.

The knights barely had a chance to get back up off their arses.

I'm planning on trying a magic/pyro build for the first time, anyone have any advice/links to how I should be speccing, etc?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MMF Freeway posted:

Its very well hidden. Check out the wall next to the bonfire in the swamp.

Oh this thing.

Oh poo poo, am I not going to be able to open this if I am not Hollow?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Oh this thing.

Oh poo poo, am I not going to be able to open this if I am not Hollow?

use a white branch in the swamp

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MMF Freeway posted:

Its good af

On the one hand I just got to the first bonfire and it seems pretty decent, on the other hand twitter is telling me that this is a gently caress you to the fans by the Great Betrayer that is Hidetaka Miyazaki and we should all just abandon this shambling carnival of a series.

It's almost like nerds are hyperbolic.

Also do those crawling enemies and angry staff guys just respawn endlessly in some areas or is there a trick I'm missing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, does the Ringed City sort of look familiar to anyone else? It looks a bit like Oolacile mixed with the Undead Parish to me from the first bonfire.

There's the white birch bow that you find in the black/abyss swamp: "The bow is a relic from an ancient land of sorceries that was swallowed by the Abyss, most known for its folktale of the heroic Abysswalker." - For some reason I want to think there was something that was a bit more definitive in pointing towards Oolacile being part of the area, but I think that was my mind jumping to conclusions. Perhaps it's just a matter of early humans having similar architecture as well?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah, and the Demon Prince arena is DS1's Firelink Shrine. The stairs up to the church where you can drop attack the headless guys definitely made me think of the part with the boar in Undead Parish.

The description of Ornstein's armor, found in the swamp, suggests he's just been sort of floating there since the Champion of Ash kicked his rear end however many centuries before, (though I thought Dragonslayer Armor was explicitly NOT Ornstein, since you find his gear at Archdragon Peak??? so I'm guessing plenty of... bits of Lothric are floating around too.

You're right Ornstein and "Dragonslayer Armor" are separate things. Armor is what we fought on the bridge in Lothric, being puppeted by the pilgrim butterfly or something.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
So i got distracted from this game right before the end of the main game (the Archives) back last Summer and am planning on jumping back in to finish it and the DLC's. I was doing a pure pyro build with the dark sword for melee, is that still hilariously overpowered or at least viable?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Happened across a small bug but maybe slightly confusing bug. I missed the first bonfire for some reason and made it the second bonfire on my first run. The bonfire travel menu listed the second (and at the time the only listed) bonfire as the dreg heap. So imagine my confusion when reading a little guide on where to find Lapp past the Dreg heap bonfire.

Quickly figured out what i missed and once i went back and activated the first bonfire the list unfucked itself and listed the earthen peak ruins bonfire correctly

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MMF Freeway posted:

O_O

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Danger posted:

So i got distracted from this game right before the end of the main game (the Archives) back last Summer and am planning on jumping back in to finish it and the DLC's. I was doing a pure pyro build with the dark sword for melee, is that still hilariously overpowered or at least viable?

Dark swords are still decent. Pyro is good too, but maybe not the best choice for the dlc

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Or 15 of them. You're not guaranteed the right disguise so it may take a loooot of attempts before you get it :suicide:

On the one hand I just got to the first bonfire and it seems pretty decent, on the other hand twitter is telling me that this is a gently caress you to the fans by the Great Betrayer that is Hidetaka Miyazaki and we should all just abandon this shambling carnival of a series.

It's almost like nerds are hyperbolic.

Also do those crawling enemies and angry staff guys just respawn endlessly in some areas or is there a trick I'm missing?

Oh angry Dark Souls nerds, you never cease to be a source of entertainment :allears:

The respawning enemies AFAIK are being controlled by a summoner, they'll have a blue glow on their staff. He's not necessarily easy to find though :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

You're right Ornstein and "Dragonslayer Armor" are separate things. Armor is what we fought on the bridge in Lothric, being puppeted by the pilgrim butterfly or something.
but the set in this is definitely Ornstein's and the description says your DS3 character beat him/it before and that's not true, wtf :negative:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

I'm morbidly curious to see what the people who hate on this DLC are basing their hatred on, but I'm pretty sure it's the same people who were frothing mad that DS2 wasn't just DS1: Remastered.

The only thing I didn't like was the PvP-centric boss, because I hate Souls PvP and don't want to do it. Occasionally getting invaded is fine, but cockblocking the PvE content with PvP made me mad, so I just went offline and "cheesed" it. Otherwise I enjoyed the challenges that other people found frustrating; I was never stuck for very long. I also didn't think it was very hard, but I have no idea whether or not I was overleveled (smth like SL150 in NG+3.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

but the set in this is definitely Ornstein's and the description says your DS3 character beat him/it before and that's not true, wtf :negative:

How did you come to the conclusion that it's definitely Ornstein's? It literally straight up tells you that it's the same Dragonslayer Armour that you fought in Lothric. Also, Ornstein's armor is lying in the area after Nameless King and describes Ornstein leaving Anor Londor in search of the Nameless King (and then presumably either died or joined him, either way casting off his old armor)

enojy posted:

The only thing I didn't like was the PvP-centric boss, because I hate Souls PvP and don't want to do it. Occasionally getting invaded is fine, but cockblocking the PvE content with PvP made me mad, so I just went offline and "cheesed" it. Otherwise I enjoyed the challenges that other people found frustrating; I was never stuck for very long. I also didn't think it was very hard, but I have no idea whether or not I was overleveled (smth like SL150 in NG+3.)

Oh yeah, you won't find anyone who hates Souls PvP more than me so that boss was a dud. I really appreciate the idea of it though, and I know that a lot of people wanted an Old Monk style fight so I don't really care. It's not exactly hard to go offline, so instead of being a frustrating boss it's just a non-boss to me :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nah man, you already have Ornstein's set - this one has some differences, namely in the helm design. Ornstein wears the Dragonslayer Set, Dragonslayer Armor wears the Iron Dragonslayer Set.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I don't like the PvP boss and I like pvp.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah, you won't find anyone who hates Souls PvP more than me so that boss was a dud. I really appreciate the idea of it though, and I know that a lot of people wanted an Old Monk style fight so I don't really care. It's not exactly hard to go offline, so instead of being a frustrating boss it's just a non-boss to me :v:

At least with Old Monk it was very novel at the time and it was a 1v1 fight. The added painting guardian pissed me off because I've never been good at outnumbered pvp

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

okay yeah comparing the two and the boss in question I was totally wrong lol. never mind

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody complaining "the DLC gives no closure" has not finished Lapp's sidequest, which actually is where the true ending is.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Anybody complaining "the DLC gives no closure" has not finished Lapp's sidequest, which actually is where the true ending is.

:hfive: I've been saying this all along, the credits really should've rolled after that cutscene.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

:hfive: I've been saying this all along, the credits really should've rolled after that cutscene.

A very fine Dark Souls to you!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

enojy posted:

You've got to pay the troll toll/if you want to get at that dark hole/you've got to pay the troll toll to get in

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Danny Devito should've been the final boss

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Do we have a steam group for DS3?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Danny Devito should've been the final boss

So that's who the furtive pygmy is

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

You've got to pay the troll toll/if you want to get at that dark hole/you've got to pay the troll toll to get in

You open the giant gates, cross the fog wall.. epic music starts blaring as some loving dude in a loincloth starts sliding across the floor towards you in a t-pose, transitioning into a 5-yard frontal backstab.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I look forward to murdering many, many, many people as a proud Spear of the Church.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah I cut it a little close no biggie

thank loving god for that final visceral attack

Speaking of close shaves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If the fist weapons weren't so bad in DS3 I'd make a gimmick Dayman character now.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

If the fist weapons weren't so bad in DS3 I'd make a gimmick Dayman character now.

There's always Dark Souls 2

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Speaking of close shaves.

:smithicide:

(First attempt though, so I was still pretty happy about it)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo. Just read that there's an entrance to the Ringed City in Sister Friede's chapel. Thank god. I thought I was gonna have to get the the Kiln of the First Flame before I could access it.