Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

hobofood posted:

Sorry to be so ignorant, but where would I do that?

Either httpd.conf or .htaccess in the directory.

You can not by ignorant by, you know, looking at some documentation. Google exists too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

hobofood posted:

What do I have to do to be able to see this file? Is this an apache configuration thing, or is it a linux user permissions issue?

The Apache error.log would have told you whether it was "denied by server configuraiton" (apache config) or "permission denied" (filesystem, selinux, etc), or the absensce of a particular option (+FollowSymlinks).

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

covener posted:

The Apache error.log would have told you whether it was "denied by server configuraiton" (apache config) or "permission denied" (filesystem, selinux, etc), or the absensce of a particular option (+FollowSymlinks).

I'm pretty sure I know what the exact problem is. It's certainly a permissions issue, but it has nothing to do with the file or the symlink.

The file is created and saved in the user's home directory. I guarantee the user under which Apache is running is not the same user and thus, would not have read access to the directory where the original file is saved.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!
I am running Ubuntu 8.10 and using FreeNX to remote to it from a Windows box. I use Fluxbox but I cannot get it to load correctly when starting a session with the NX Client. KDE and Gnome work fine. Does anyone else use this? Does anyone now how to fix it? I get the task bar to show, then the session locks up. I have installed SLiM as referenced in another article I found online, but it made no difference.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Accipiter posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what the exact problem is. It's certainly a permissions issue, but it has nothing to do with the file or the symlink.

The file is created and saved in the user's home directory. I guarantee the user under which Apache is running is not the same user and thus, would not have read access to the directory where the original file is saved.

It's about a 50/50 whether /home/foo is world-readable/searchable on a given system -- that would be the most likely culprit. namei -m would reveal that pretty quickly once you know hat directory permissions are required (rx on the intermediate dirs, r on the final dir)

covener fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 21, 2008

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Catch 22 posted:

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 and using FreeNX to remote to it from a Windows box. I use Fluxbox but I cannot get it to load correctly when starting a session with the NX Client. KDE and Gnome work fine. Does anyone else use this? Does anyone now how to fix it? I get the task bar to show, then the session locks up. I have installed SLiM as referenced in another article I found online, but it made no difference.

You have to setup a session entry in the NX configuration. I haven't done it in awhile, but there's a section where it will show startkde and startgdm or something like that, you have to setup a third one for fluxbox I think.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!

Ashex posted:

You have to setup a session entry in the NX configuration. I haven't done it in awhile, but there's a section where it will show startkde and startgdm or something like that, you have to setup a third one for fluxbox I think.
Node.conf? I edited according to this (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FreeNX) but still a no go.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
Thanks for the replies about the ntpd issue earlier. Whatever it is doesn't seem to be causing any problems, our servers are still synced with ntp and have the proper time, so i'm not worrying about it at the moment.

I do have another question: I need to know how to configure sendmail to only send mail to certain domains. Is there a file somewhere I can edit to tell it to only send mail to a specific set of domains that I define?

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
Me and the guy I'm working with no gently caress all about send mail and we need to get this done for a big client today because he is going on vacation tonight. I'm Googling like a mad man but not finding anything helpful.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Catch 22 posted:

Node.conf? I edited according to this (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FreeNX) but still a no go.

Ah, I think I know what's going on. I'll take a look at my config when I get home. Only problem is I'm not use FreeNX but NX Free from Nomachine.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
Is there a usual directory that people drop mysqldumps in to get picked up by a backup agent, or should I just create whatever directory I feel like creating to put them in?

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Runnin ubuntu 8.10 server.
I have a .screenrc file set up to run irssi and rtorrent, and that works fine, so I can just type "screen" everything is all setup how I want it.

Now, what I want is to run this screen detached on boot, even if no one is logged in, so that its always running even after a brownout or something.

I've tried adding "sudo -u *user* screen -d" or something similar to /etc/init.d/rc.local but something goes wrong in the process and I'm not sure what so I'm guessing I have this line wrong. Anyone help?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

bloodynose posted:

I've tried adding "sudo -u *user* screen -d" or something similar to /etc/init.d/rc.local but something goes wrong in the process and I'm not sure what so I'm guessing I have this line wrong. Anyone help?

You want -d -m, not just -d. The former starts a session and detaches from it, the latter detaches if you're running _in_ screen when you invoke it.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

covener posted:

You want -d -m, not just -d. The former starts a session and detaches from it, the latter detaches if you're running _in_ screen when you invoke it.

Still no dice.
running "sudo -u nick screen -d -m" works fine when I'll ready logged in, however adding that to the end of rc.local does not. After rebooting, screen -ls shows:
code:
There is a screen on:
        3971..torrentbox        (11/23/2008 01:17:22 PM)        (Detached)
1 Socket in /var/run/screen/S-nick.
after attaching with screen -r it says:
code:
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

nick@torrentbox:/$
So obviously there is still something odd going on here with users.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

bloodynose posted:

So obviously there is still something odd going on here with users.

I'd guess you're running that screen command with HOME=/root because sudo normally doesn't fix the environment. Either add -H to sudo's arguments so it sets HOME, or use su -c instead.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I'd guess you're running that screen command with HOME=/root because sudo normally doesn't fix the environment. Either add -H to sudo's arguments so it sets HOME, or use su -c instead.

That worked, thanks!

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I have a machine running on Debian Lenny for testing/messing around purposes, and installed a tiling WM on it called awesome. Now I love the concept of tiling WMs, but my question is, do any tiling WMs exist that are easy to configure? In awesome, its easy to change keybindings and such (through the ~/.awesomerc config file), but trying to add things like a clock and battery indicator are a real pain in the rear end (need to compile a specially patched version of conky, and then configure that). Also, awesome is still in heavy development, so configs of previous versions generally don't work on newer ones (which is a PITA especially if you've spent a while getting it to work just the way you like). I know that dwm, wmii and xmonad are also hard to configure, and I've tried xmonad but get lost configuring it because I don't know Haskell.

Do I have any other options, or are these the only tiling WMs that are worth using?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am trying to write a udev rule and I am having some trouble.

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0781", SYSFS{idProduct}=="a3a4", NAME="usbdrive"

That is the original rule I had, and it used to work. Now it no longer seems to work. /dev/usbdrive is now pointing to the usb card reader, not the card itself. I think.

I notice now if use udevinfo on the card (or any card) it looks like the output is abruptly stopped.
code:
  looking at device '/block/sdc/sdc1':
    KERNEL=="sdc1"
    SUBSYSTEM=="block"
    DRIVER==""
    ATTR{start}=="243"
    ATTR{size}=="4018957"
    ATTR{stat}=="90  668  933  173  0  0  0  0  0  141  173"
Should there not be a lot more crap after that? Like the vendor and product code etc? All the cards I have give the exact same reduced output. The only thing that changes is the size and stat. It must have output more before for me to have written the rule!

I've tried different card readers. I have no idea if that has anything to do with the problem.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 10, 2014

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Sounder posted:

Great thread, a lot of information here has helped me almost completely migrate myself over to a Linux environment.

My greatest obstacle right now is...my cell phone. I own a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone, and it basically runs my life: alarms, schedules and calendar, internet tethering, and of course texts. Right now, it's the only reason I even have Windows on my laptop. Are there any tools out there for syncing, say, Evolution or Thunderbird+Lightning to a Windows Mobile phone? Or tether a laptop to the internet like PDAnet will? I would love to make the move to Ubuntu once and for all now that I've got the perfect netbook to work from.

Does your phone have Wifi? Tethering by wifi with WMWifiRouter is the poo poo.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 10, 2014

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I have a Samsung 174T 17" 1280x1024 display now, but the Eclipse IDE is awfully crowded at this resolution. I'm looking at getting an BenQ E2200HD 1920x1080 display side-by-side with the 17", so I'd like to check that my understanding of multi-monitor on X.org is right:

1. With an Nvidia 8600 GT card I want to use the TwinView sytem in the binary Nvidia drivers.
2. TwinView supports monitors with different resolutions.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Grey Area posted:

1. With an Nvidia 8600 GT card I want to use the TwinView sytem in the binary Nvidia drivers.
2. TwinView supports monitors with different resolutions.

Yep.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

Is there anything on a standard CentOS install that wouldn't use the DNS settings in resolv.conf? I've configured a set of systems to point to a new set of DNS servers as I get ready to retire an old DNS server, but I'm still seeing queries from those systems in the old server's query logs. I haven't restarted any services on the machines, but that's not required for changes to resolv.conf, right?

There aren't a complicated bunch of services running on these, so I'm thinking this should be pretty simple. One of the machines serves as a local RPM repository, another serves up a bunch of directories via NFS with local auth.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Sock on a Fish posted:

Is there anything on a standard CentOS install that wouldn't use the DNS settings in resolv.conf? I've configured a set of systems to point to a new set of DNS servers as I get ready to retire an old DNS server, but I'm still seeing queries from those systems in the old server's query logs. I haven't restarted any services on the machines, but that's not required for changes to resolv.conf, right?

There aren't a complicated bunch of services running on these, so I'm thinking this should be pretty simple. One of the machines serves as a local RPM repository, another serves up a bunch of directories via NFS with local auth.

nscd is not there by default, but it's what springs to mind. Could check /etc/nsswitch.conf for something bizarro for hosts as well. Finally, a system call trace of a simple utility that calls into the resolver vs. one that does DNS itself might reveal some hints (e.g. ping vs dig/nslookup/host)

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

covener posted:

nscd is not there by default, but it's what springs to mind. Could check /etc/nsswitch.conf for something bizarro for hosts as well. Finally, a system call trace of a simple utility that calls into the resolver vs. one that does DNS itself might reveal some hints (e.g. ping vs dig/nslookup/host)

host, ping, dig, etc. all report that they're using the servers specified in resolv.conf, and nsswitch.conf hasn't been modified. nscd is installed and running, but that just provides a local cache, right? That would explain hosts not resolving correctly, but not the presence of DNS queries going to servers not specified in resolv.conf.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Sock on a Fish posted:

host, ping, dig, etc. all report that they're using the servers specified in resolv.conf, and nsswitch.conf hasn't been modified. nscd is installed and running, but that just provides a local cache, right? That would explain hosts not resolving correctly, but not the presence of DNS queries going to servers not specified in resolv.conf.

You might want to try and put the new server in /etc/hosts/. I've seen some odd issues resolved (lol) by this. Ymmv though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there some sort of setting by default in openssh that doesnt let machines from different subnets connect?

I have an ubuntu box that I use for imaging computers set up at work, and I have port 22 open on the firewall and pointing at the ubuntu box, but nothing can connect from the outside.

I am running denyhosts as well.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Is there some sort of setting by default in openssh that doesnt let machines from different subnets connect?

I have an ubuntu box that I use for imaging computers set up at work, and I have port 22 open on the firewall and pointing at the ubuntu box, but nothing can connect from the outside.

I am running denyhosts as well.

openssh-server is not installed by default on Ubuntu. Use Synaptic or Aptitude to install it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is installed, I can ssh to the box from the local subnet just fine.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm a fairly huge noob when it comes to linux, but I just installed ubuntu 8.10 (posting from it right now!) and everything worked perfectly, except for my sound card.

What can I do to get a Realtek ALC650F working? I know I'm not giving any real helpful information, but I don't really even know where to begin.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Can you check the firewall to make sure you are hitting the right ACL?

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

tinselt0wn posted:

I'm a fairly huge noob when it comes to linux, but I just installed ubuntu 8.10 (posting from it right now!) and everything worked perfectly, except for my sound card.

What can I do to get a Realtek ALC650F working? I know I'm not giving any real helpful information, but I don't really even know where to begin.

Odd, Google reports this not a new sound card, so it should work out of the box. Your best bet would be the sound troubleshooting guide in the Ubuntu help pages, as it covers most of basic steps of scanning the computer for detected hardware, checking your installed sound drivers, installing the newest ALSA drivers from source (Intrepid is currently using a slightly older driver library than the latest available at alsa-project.org), etc.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Phat_Albert posted:

Check tcpwrappers. /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

jdonz posted:

Can you check the firewall to make sure you are hitting the right ACL?

Can the machine reach other machines on different subnets? Is the gateway set correctly?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I've got a script that does backups for me. A few weeks ago my host suspended our account without warning since I had forgotten to clean up the backups and they had accumulated. I cleaned them up manually, but I want to automate this now.

The script is currently:

code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

my $fileOrFolder = $ARGV[0] or die "You forgot to specify a file or folder name!"; #The name of the file or folder provided during execution of the script
my $upper = "\U$fileOrFolder"; #Convert the file or folder name to uppercase for the label

my $date = `date +%Y_%m_%d`; #Store the date in a variable
chomp($date); #Remove the new line that gets added at the end

print `tar -cvvzhlf "/home1/foosite/public_html/backups/$fileOrFolder-$date.tar.gz" /home1/foosite/public_html/$fileOrFolder --atime-preserve --label $upper`;
Would adding this line before the tar portion be sufficient for clearing out backups older then two weeks?

code:
find /home1/foosite/public_html/backups/ -mtime +14 -maxdepth 0 -exec rm {} \;

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

Ashex posted:

Would adding this line before the tar portion be sufficient for clearing out backups older then two weeks?

code:
find /home1/foosite/public_html/backups/ -mtime +14 -maxdepth 0 -exec rm {} \;
Looks good to me, I do the same thing in a script of mine.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Lucien posted:

Looks good to me, I do the same thing in a script of mine.

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to run it by someone since this will be part of the final script I run for backups before a remote server pulls them out, so didn't want to end up losing them all :/

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

Ashex posted:

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to run it by someone since this will be part of the final script I run for backups before a remote server pulls them out, so didn't want to end up losing them all :/
Yeah i was also super careful about that part. Here's my exact code (which has been working fine for months) if you want to compare:
code:
#####################
# delete old files  #
#####################

deletecommand="find $savepath -type f -name \""$project"_*.sql.gz\" -mtime +7 -exec rm '{}' \;"
eval $deletecommand;

#########################
# list files in folder  #
#########################

ls -lh $savepath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalGoerge
Feb 26, 2007

FPS-Bananite ^_^
I'm getting better at linux, but still have a long way to go.

This is a Centos5 x64 server.
This one is weird. I have created an account for me, and an account for my partner, the same way with the useradd command. However, while I can logon with my account in both SSH and FTP, he can only logon with SSH and not ftp.

The server is using proftpd, and I cannot find anything in the .conf file that explains anything