Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
I have an organic garden. We just kicked off this winter's planting... the plants that came up, squash, beans, cucumbers are all really yellow / light green in the leaves. Can you guys tell me what I can spray on it to make them happy again? I put handfuls of microlife on it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

dhrusis posted:

I have an organic garden. We just kicked off this winter's planting... the plants that came up, squash, beans, cucumbers are all really yellow / light green in the leaves. Can you guys tell me what I can spray on it to make them happy again? I put handfuls of microlife on it already.

You're probably watering too much.

Alternatively your soil may lack nitrogen and/or minerals (excess water prevents their uptake). If you're not watering excessively then you can give them a bit of a balanced fertilizer with nitrogen and give them a spray with epsom salts.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Agreed on the overwatering. Rule of thumb is 1 inch per week. Stick your finger in a few inches and if it feels moist at all don't water and see if things improve. Microlife appears to be a balanced organic fertilizer in granule form so it may take longer to become available to the plants too.

Shithouse Dave posted:

I'm also in BC (sunshine coast), and my Roma tomatoes are ripening up really nicely. Unfortunately, the deer have discovered my yard and last night some rear end in a top hat venison steak waiting to happen ate a bunch of my tomatoes, the tops off the bell peppers, kicked over my teapot fountain, knocked over all the cornstalks and took a huge dump in the middle of the lawn. Fucker didn't so much as touch the blackberries I'm slowly clearing.

Got some chards coming up and a second wave of arugula and assorted salad greens. And my strawberry runners all have a zillion runners of their own for next year. As long as the drat deer don't eat them.

Deer are bastards. I have a few that make a regular patrol through my neighborhood and leave free fertilizer in the same spots each time. They will mow down anything you have growing that is tender. Once the stuff at their head level is gone they will start going for the ground level lettuces and strawberry plants. Do yourself a favor and rig up some kind of fence now.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
There's always the "killing two birds with one stone" option as well.

e: you just might have to be Cajun to make this one work though :v:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
The past few nights it's been well below freezing. The garden is decimated, save for the Rosemary and Oregano plants. I had thought prior to rip out the old plants and toss on a compost heap, but upon further review the tomatoes, and cuke vines are so nuked that I may simply take a spade to them to chop up and then till in the spring.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

dhrusis posted:

Overwatering and/or lack of nutrients. You shouldn't be "tossing a handful of microlife" onto them, you need to mix it into the soil when you put transplants in, or get a nice layer over the whole area and then cover it with mulch and then correctly water (overwatering washes away nutrients too quickly, among other issues.) How long since you added new compost or mulch to that bed?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
Another issue could be that the compost you added was not broken down enough, if there was a lot of woody material it would be stealing the Nitrogen from the soil to decompose it, so you would wind up with stunted plants.

Hey, I harvested my indian corn!

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 13, 2012

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Rule .303 posted:

That looks so cool!

I can contribute a picture too, I pulled the longest carrot of the year yesterday. This was my first year gardening, I'm definitely going to plant some different colors of heirloom carrots next year.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Heirlooms are fun, it's like getting a present from a distant, but possibly really cool, relative. You aren't quite sure what it is until you unwrap the box, but it might be fantastic, and it might be socks with toes...two sizes too small....

I've been trying various heirloom tomatoes and they haven't had enough sun in the last couple of years to get them ripe.

Nice carrot. We have too much clay around here to get pretty carrots.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Jealous of that carrot. I've been gardening for years with stupidly nice dirt and I still make lovely carrots.

I finally gave up on my.... thicket of tomatoes. It reached critical mass with this last bit of warm weather and finally starting popping lines in the trellises. We had one better boy hybrid that got over 9' tall and was producing fruit bigger than my hand. That poor trellis string never stood a chance. I'm still trying to find the best solution for the string. Nylon, even UV treated, dry rots and gets torn up by the sun. Natural fibers, like jute or hemp, get done in by moisture and general weakness. I refuse to spend $50 for that stupid nylon netting but drat if it doesn't look nice. Might just switch to staking each plant next year but I worry that I'd outgrow the supports pretty quickly with the way these drat tomatoes grow.

Heirlooms are nice but they're a lot of work compared to more modern plants. I always throw a couple of heirloom tomato plants in just for some neat variety but it's always pretty hit or miss on how they yield. I use a cucumber heirloom from the 1700's that is loving amazing with yield, resilience, and consistency though, so maybe it's just my poo poo luck with tomato growing. I mostly count on stable hybrids these days, but I still raise everything strictly organically and as naturally as possible. I personally think I can taste a difference.

mischief fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 13, 2012

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
If you're going to use string to tie up your tomatoes, have you looked into using paracord? Commercial paracord can hold a ridiculous amount of weight (550 pounds in fact), is weather resistant, and a 50 foot length can be found for about $4 on Amazon.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Rule .303 posted:

that's really pretty! Foreigner question: is it for eating, or just decoration?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Both. I bought my original seed corn as decoration from the grocery store. Indian corn is called "flint" because it is really hard, but you can eat it when it is in the milk stage and still tender, just about the time the silk is shrivelling, and you can eat it on the cob. (The other, commercial, eating corn is called "dent" because it it softer and the kernels have dents and tend to not convert the sugars to starch so quickly and is sweeter.)
If you let it get mature, when the silk dies, or even wait until the ears start sagging off the stalks you can use them for decorations, or strip the husk off, let it dry a couple of weeks and shell it off the cob. I suppose I could make hominy with lye, but I just grind it for corn meal. (I don't care for hominy)
I make a killer cornbread with it. I only grind a couple of cups at a time because with the germ in it it will go rancid pretty quick when you grind it for meal.
I keep back a pint or so for seed for the next year.

Mischief, My dad bought some wire mesh from the local concrete culvert company and bent them into 3 Ft diameter tubes and used them for tomato cages. They last forever and they hold up lots of weight.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

mischief posted:

Heirlooms are nice but they're a lot of work compared to more modern plants. I always throw a couple of heirloom tomato plants in just for some neat variety but it's always pretty hit or miss on how they yield. I use a cucumber heirloom from the 1700's that is loving amazing with yield, resilience, and consistency though, so maybe it's just my poo poo luck with tomato growing. I mostly count on stable hybrids these days, but I still raise everything strictly organically and as naturally as possible. I personally think I can taste a difference.

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot next year. My boss gave me an heirloom brandywine tomato from his garden that was above and beyond every fruit or vegetable I've ever tasted. It was quite an experience.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I couldn't find the garden thread, so I apologize if this does not belong here.

My 'butterfly garden' was taken over by these guys. Any ideas what they are? I live in California if it matters.

Thanks.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Figure I would post this here as well the foraging thread. Anyone grow mushrooms before?

This is sort of gardening ... I have a tree stump on the side of my house. It was a Russian olive (a noxious weed in Colorado) I had cut down about two and a half years ago. It was right next to my foundation and just generally ugly. I did not have the stump cut out because it was going to cost almost as much as I paid to have the tree cut down. The damned thing will not die. When it was cut down we painted the top with some tree killer of some kind, I don’t remember. The thing was sending off suckers / re-generating from the stump within a few weeks. I tried to just stay ontop of picking the suckers figuring it would eventually die but it has not. Early this summer I doused all of the living branches / leaves / suckers with roundup 3 or 4 times. The leaves I sprayed would die, but new ones would just pop right up. I have a zombie Russian olive tree stump. I thought about burning it out but think this would piss of the fire department, I live in pretty much classic suburbs so that was out.

Somehow I got turned on to the idea of growing mushrooms in the stump to help speed up the decay. So this is what I am trying to do! I could only find one post on the entire internet about what type of mushroom might grown in a russian olive, and it was a post on a mushroom forum from another guy in Colorado trying to do the same thing as me. They suggested that oyster mushrooms should grow in just about anything and do well in the climate so I ordered a batch of blue oyster spawn (cowbell not included). There was not any follow up on if it worked or not

I have only tried to grow mushrooms once before and it was when I was a teenager trying to get my kicks.... it did not work. I’m a responsible adult now ;) and just want to kill this tree stump / get some tasty gourmet mushrooms.

Anyone done anything like this before? I hope it works.

Step one, drill around 100 1 inch holes in and around stump:

Step two, hammer in 100 wooden dowls that have blue oyster spawn growing on them:

Step three, cover spawn hole with cheese wax to keep competing fungi out (I did not have any cheese wax so I used the wife's scented candle):

Why this will work:

Oyster mushrooms should grow in just about any wood and I inoculated this stump with a whole bunch of of it. The stump has good moisture content, I assume the roots are still living

Why this will not work:

I have no idea what I am doing. It’s a bad time of year (about to get cold so I am not sure the spawn will have adequate time to spread throughout the stump) Russian Olive tree is not totally dead. Russian Olive trees are not good for growing any mushroooms.

TLDR; I am trying to grow oyster mushrooms in a old tree stump, wish me luck! Will report back in spring with results.

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 16, 2012

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

coyo7e posted:

Overwatering and/or lack of nutrients. You shouldn't be "tossing a handful of microlife" onto them, you need to mix it into the soil when you put transplants in, or get a nice layer over the whole area and then cover it with mulch and then correctly water (overwatering washes away nutrients too quickly, among other issues.) How long since you added new compost or mulch to that bed?

Gardening fail. I was going to mix the microlife in, but my wife went ahead and planted a bunch of seeds before I could get to it, even though I told her. Sad.

I can add mulch or even some compost on top.. would that help?

I've also turned the sprinklers off and will reduce them significantly to lessen the overwatering issue...

Its never been mulched but the soil is less than a year old. Its always sucked, though. Even the first batch of stuff we grew was yellow. I need to remediate it somehow, but my ag extension basically told me to gently caress off.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

dhrusis posted:

Gardening fail. I was going to mix the microlife in, but my wife went ahead and planted a bunch of seeds before I could get to it, even though I told her. Sad.

I can add mulch or even some compost on top.. would that help?

I've also turned the sprinklers off and will reduce them significantly to lessen the overwatering issue...

Its never been mulched but the soil is less than a year old. Its always sucked, though. Even the first batch of stuff we grew was yellow. I need to remediate it somehow, but my ag extension basically told me to gently caress off.
Mix in compost of some kind in the fall. In the spring plant your stuff and then water deeply whenever the plants show some water stress (if you're lazy) or when you stick your finger in to the soil and it doesn't adhere. If you have heavy clay soil you wont need to water as much. If you have well draining sandy soil then you will have to water more.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Balls.

Is there any hope for a melon plant that got attacked by whiteflies and apparently ended up frozen in time?

I've got a bunch of set fruit that isn't developing further, and one big melon that should have ripened probably a week or two ago but hasn't progressed. The plant's putting out healthy-looking new growth, but the existing fruit is stopped dead in its tracks. Nothing's rotting, either, it's just growing or ripening.

I tried side-dressing it with a PK-weighted fert to no apparent effect.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!

What type of melon? What's your location (relative), and what's your temperature highs, lows, and averages? Rain/irrigation?

If you're in Arizona or California (or another southwestern state but mainly those two), there's a chance that your melons have contracted the Cucurbit Yellowing Stunting Disorder Virus from your whitefly infestation, which is the vector for the virus.

But in general, your local agriculture/horticulture extension office can help you tremendously with problems like these. It is what they are paid to do, and are almost always free unless expensive tests are necessary (which you don't have to agree to have anyways).

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

spandexcajun posted:

Zombie tree mushrooms

Very interested in the results of this
It would be my guess that mushrooms wouldn't be very successful since the tree is still alive. But who knows, maybe it'll work

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

oh wow, I've just worked out why the tree stump in my yard has little holes in it! I guess a previous tenant decided to grow mushrooms on it. I'm going to look around it for signs of mushrooms tomorrow.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Shithouse Dave posted:

oh wow, I've just worked out why the tree stump in my yard has little holes in it! I guess a previous tenant decided to grow mushrooms on it. I'm going to look around it for signs of mushrooms tomorrow.

Maybe, but they likely were just trying to decompose it faster. With stump remover, you drill holes into the stump and pour in the stump remover followed by hot water to speed up the decomposition.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

spandexcajun posted:

TLDR; I am trying to grow oyster mushrooms in a old tree stump, wish me luck! Will report back in spring with results.

You could try depriving the whole area of light, too. That should discourage new growth and the fungi won't need it.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Also could try rubber banding a big clear plastic bag around the stump. It'll make it very hot and humid (most plants would die this way, not sure about zombie tree)

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Yay fall.

Should I be adding mulch/compost to my raised garden and tilling it in now, or in the spring?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

BlackHattingMachine posted:

If you're in Arizona or California (or another southwestern state but mainly those two), there's a chance that your melons have contracted the Cucurbit Yellowing Stunting Disorder Virus from your whitefly infestation, which is the vector for the virus.

Your impression appears to be dead on. I'm just outside Phoenix and I currently have a spectacular, textbook case of interveinal chlorosis midvine on my early-planted cantaloupe, and stunted growth on the later-planted honeydew.

I'll try contacting the generally useless Maricopa County Extension to see if they're doing any kind of surveillance or testing for CYSD.

I never got to eat any drat melons. :argh:

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!

Molten Llama posted:

I never got to eat any drat melons. :argh:

No melons AND you're in Maricopa County? poo poo's rough amigo.

Generally white flies are simply a nuisance pest, but can be vectors for other diseases. There's not a lot of good control for them, at least ones that aren't strong/expensive chemicals, but there are alternatives.

Here's a very local and pertinent website for you: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/nov11/cotton1111.htm Scroll down a ways and you'll see cantaloupe specific talk, not just cotton, but it's all applicable.

From there, you can go many places to further investigate your issues.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Yay fall.

Should I be adding mulch/compost to my raised garden and tilling it in now, or in the spring?

I always add compost in the fall. Mulching or growing a cover crop (I like winter rye in NC) will greatly reduce the amount of weeding/recovering of garden you have to do next year. If you grow a good cover crop you just till the poo poo in in Spring and start planting again with even healthier dirt.

We fried up the last of the green tomatoes tonight with a spicy remoulade and oh my god I can hear myself getting fatter. So delicious. Tomatoes are so much work but the final product is the most awesome thing a garden can produce.

All I really learned this year is that I'm still lazy, I still need to plant more variety each year, I need to buy my own tiller finally, I need to plant less cucumbers, and I need to find some good loving string for my trellises or just scrap the whole thing and buy some plastic stakes.

mischief fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 23, 2012

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Crossposting from GWS, but the warm weather has made my silverbeet and spinach explode, just picked them right back to stop them going to seed. Gonna make so much spanakopita tonight.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? It's growing among a spot where I planted mesclun mix and spinach, but it doesn't look like an edible plant to me. The base of the stem is woody and the leaves are a little fuzzy to the touch.

Just want to make sure it's a weed before I pull it out.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

how realistic is it to grow an indoor herb garden? I've heard that parsley works well because you can snip it off and it keeps growing - others have to be re-seeded which makes me wonder if they're worth the effort. I'd love to have something modest (mostly artifically lit because of the layout of my apartment) that would let me use fresh herbs in my cooking every now and then. getting sick of buying a bunch of herbs for just a recipe and having nothing to do with the rest - and my place could use some green! :)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Guitarchitect posted:

how realistic is it to grow an indoor herb garden? I've heard that parsley works well because you can snip it off and it keeps growing - others have to be re-seeded which makes me wonder if they're worth the effort. I'd love to have something modest (mostly artifically lit because of the layout of my apartment) that would let me use fresh herbs in my cooking every now and then. getting sick of buying a bunch of herbs for just a recipe and having nothing to do with the rest - and my place could use some green! :)
I had an herb garden growing fine indoors earlier this year. Had plants seeded in bins together in a greenhouse tray under two fluorescent lights and it worked really well. Just grabbed herbs whenever I needed them.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Probably the last harvest of ripe tomatoes for me this year. The green ones are from my community garden plot, mostly cherry and stupice, which had no protection. The rest are from my poly tunnel at home. It seems to work really well as a greenhouse to extend the season.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Acceptableloss posted:

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? It's growing among a spot where I planted mesclun mix and spinach, but it doesn't look like an edible plant to me. The base of the stem is woody and the leaves are a little fuzzy to the touch.

The leaves resemble mustard pinch off a bit and see if it tastes a bit spicy.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ok I have two 4x8 plots that need to be winterized on the cheap. I live in middle Tennessee so it should be a pretty mild winter with maybe a few days of a couple inches of snow. I don't even know if that matters. Help. Don't forget: cheap.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Cardboard and rocks. A bale of hay spread out on top if you want. Wind can blow it around but wetting it down helps. Seeds may sprout but they aren't a big deal.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Acceptableloss posted:

Looks like a radish to me. My daikons have leaves like that

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

spandexcajun posted:

Figure I would post this here as well the foraging thread. Anyone grow mushrooms before?

This is sort of gardening ... I have a tree stump on the side of my house. It was a Russian olive (a noxious weed in Colorado) I had cut down about two and a half years ago. It was right next to my foundation and just generally ugly. I did not have the stump cut out because it was going to cost almost as much as I paid to have the tree cut down. The damned thing will not die. When it was cut down we painted the top with some tree killer of some kind, I don’t remember. The thing was sending off suckers / re-generating from the stump within a few weeks. I tried to just stay ontop of picking the suckers figuring it would eventually die but it has not. Early this summer I doused all of the living branches / leaves / suckers with roundup 3 or 4 times. The leaves I sprayed would die, but new ones would just pop right up. I have a zombie Russian olive tree stump. I thought about burning it out but think this would piss of the fire department, I live in pretty much classic suburbs so that was out.

Somehow I got turned on to the idea of growing mushrooms in the stump to help speed up the decay. So this is what I am trying to do! I could only find one post on the entire internet about what type of mushroom might grown in a russian olive, and it was a post on a mushroom forum from another guy in Colorado trying to do the same thing as me. They suggested that oyster mushrooms should grow in just about anything and do well in the climate so I ordered a batch of blue oyster spawn (cowbell not included). There was not any follow up on if it worked or not

I have only tried to grow mushrooms once before and it was when I was a teenager trying to get my kicks.... it did not work. I’m a responsible adult now ;) and just want to kill this tree stump / get some tasty gourmet mushrooms.

Anyone done anything like this before? I hope it works.

Step one, drill around 100 1 inch holes in and around stump:

Step two, hammer in 100 wooden dowls that have blue oyster spawn growing on them:

Step three, cover spawn hole with cheese wax to keep competing fungi out (I did not have any cheese wax so I used the wife's scented candle):

Why this will work:

Oyster mushrooms should grow in just about any wood and I inoculated this stump with a whole bunch of of it. The stump has good moisture content, I assume the roots are still living

Why this will not work:

I have no idea what I am doing. It’s a bad time of year (about to get cold so I am not sure the spawn will have adequate time to spread throughout the stump) Russian Olive tree is not totally dead. Russian Olive trees are not good for growing any mushroooms.

Good luck!

I've had very spotty luck growing mushrooms, but I'm eager to try again, once we get settled into our new place. My impression is that, unless you stick with consumer-friendly, kids' project type of mushroom kits, it's very hit-or-miss. I did get some shiitakes to grow from a commercial sawdust log in the spring, but the promised second bloom never came (some other fungus got into the log). Still, it was a blast, and a couple of vendors have some cool looking stuff available. Even if you don't care to buy anything, it's fun to look at the catalogs of Fungi Perfecti and Field and Forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I had an herb garden growing fine indoors earlier this year. Had plants seeded in bins together in a greenhouse tray under two fluorescent lights and it worked really well. Just grabbed herbs whenever I needed them.

how often did you need to replant, if at all? what were you growing?