Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of future projects, I just got two of these gorgeous things and they are moving to the top of my pile:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
You lot are all a great example of why I have a strict rule where I never buy a kit until I have finished the one I am on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

big_g posted:

You lot are all a great example of why I have a strict rule where I never buy a kit until I have finished the one I am on.

I'm quite good at building the kits before I buy a new one. I'm less good at also painting them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My to-do list:

- Paint the PzKpfw V Ausf. G

That's all :unsmith:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Revell does not make a B-Wing model. Thanks Obama!!!!

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Some more work done on the big boy M23:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I only have a Tauchpanzer III and a T-34-85 in the pile (as well as a ton of figures, but who can remember them all), but I want to paint the T-34-85 as a very specific T-34-85, inspiration just hasn't struck me as to which one.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

big_g posted:

In my defense a decent chunk of those were Christmas presents from the family.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Because I'm a wargamer and I stick to 20mm stuff for some periods I've got a list of kits as long as my arm in the stash. In my room, right now, needing finishing are:

Airfix Typhoon 1b;
Trumpeter M113A1;
Trumpeter Challenger II;
Revell M24 Chaffee;
At least one Revell Monty's Caravan (with the Dingos from two more);
Two Hasegawa Daimler Mk II;
Airfix M3 Lee/Grant;

I think there's an Italeri Panzer I floating around somewhere too. Then there's the infantry kits... and the boxes in the shed.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Van Dis posted:

I remember building what I assume was the MPC/ERTL kit as a kid, from the triple pack with a TIE interceptor and an X-wing, and really not doing any of them justice. :unsmith:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Van Dis posted:

If you're looking for one, have you checked Finemolds yet? They seem to the be the company producing the best quality Star Wars kits.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you're looking for one, have you checked Finemolds yet? They seem to the be the company producing the best quality Star Wars kits.

No Fine Molds B-Wing unfortunately, also they've lost the Star Wars license.

The good news is that Bandai has it now and they're churning out kits at an amazing pace. I'm sure the B-Wing will come and then I'll get one too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you've got the money and the time and you REALLY like the Millennium Falcon.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mister Kingdom posted:

25 months subscription at $59.99 / month :psyduck:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Kingdom posted:

poo poo, that's pricy, but awfully tempting. I wonder if any third party sites have done a review of that and stated whether it's worth the money or not. Obviously all the reviews on that site are going to be glowing.

And I didn't have time to really go over that site since I'm at work, but do they have some sort of "just send me everything now" option, instead of having it spread out over 2 years?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

25 months subscription at $59.99 / month :psyduck:
But it's 1:1 scale! That means life size! :pseudo:

It's much cheaper here, I think, but you're still waiting two years to get a model kit together before you can really start building it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arquinsiel posted:

But it's 1:1 scale! That means life size! :pseudo:

It's much cheaper here, I think, but you're still waiting two years to get a model kit together before you can really start building it.

If it's like their ship models, it's actually another companies model that they repackage with really superbly done instructions, break it into 'x' number of chapters, and double the price.

Example: http://www.model-space.com/us/build-hms-surprise.html

This model of the HMS Surprise is $1400. It's actually this kit - http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Latina/HMS_Surprise_AL22910/HMS%20Surprise%20AL22910.htm

Which is $720 in a single box.

Their instructions really are superb, but if you can find out what the source of that model is, and source it as a complete kit, I bet it is half that price.

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually, they repackage it into 'chapters' and the instructions that come with each shipment are for the assembly of that 'chapter', so you build it as you receive the installments if you follow their instructions (Assuming it works the same as their ship models).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sparq posted:

No Fine Molds B-Wing unfortunately, also they've lost the Star Wars license.

The good news is that Bandai has it now and they're churning out kits at an amazing pace. I'm sure the B-Wing will come and then I'll get one too.

Thanks for the heads up on Bandai. I checked out some of their stuff, and snapped up the AT-ST as soon as I saw it.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I've gotten back into modeling after a decade, and even then I only built 2 or 3 tiny models. I have absolutely no painting experience so I'm pretty happy with how these are turning out so far. The Tamiya T-72 is my second tank model built and the Trumpeter BMP-1 is my third. The BMP still has some detailing work to be done but the T-72 is mostly done. I'm replacing the mediocre tank commander model with some Valkyrie Models Russian tank crews. After this it's onto building a Trumpeter BTR-70.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Currently working on:

Really should finish up:

Current stash which I'll probably do instead:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Work has been kicking my butt for the last couple of months, so I've gotten very little done in the modeling room, but tonight I finally finished the basic construction of the main gun carriages, so I dropped the barrels in place and stuck them on the deck to take a picture.

Penny for size reference while they were being assembled:

The quoins aren't made yet, so the barrels are a bit high in the gun ports, but at least I got *something* done since the poop deck was completed almost 2 months ago. There is still a bunch of work to do on the carriages - I have to make the quoins and handles, add the caps for the gun, and install 7 (I think) ring-bolts on each carriage for the rigging. Before that I have to respray the carriages and do final paint touch-up (since the ring-bolts and gun caps are black, need to do the red paint first).

I also still only have a single coat of poly on the deck & hull, so I need to buff that out and add a couple more coats, since once stuff starts getting permanently affixed to the deck and bulwarks it will get very difficult (or more likely impossible) to do that.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

The Locator posted:

If it's like their ship models, it's actually another companies model that they repackage with really superbly done instructions, break it into 'x' number of chapters, and double the price.

Example: http://www.model-space.com/us/build-hms-surprise.html

This model of the HMS Surprise is $1400. It's actually this kit - http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Latina/HMS_Surprise_AL22910/HMS%20Surprise%20AL22910.htm

Which is $720 in a single box.

Their instructions really are superb, but if you can find out what the source of that model is, and source it as a complete kit, I bet it is half that price.

Actually, they repackage it into 'chapters' and the instructions that come with each shipment are for the assembly of that 'chapter', so you build it as you receive the installments if you follow their instructions (Assuming it works the same as their ship models).

I haven't had the chance to really have a huge look at the deagostini Falcon (apparently it's being released in Australia next year so I have to wait to start :( ) but they say its modelled off the actual shooting model and the Master Replicas Falcon (along with the dude who headed that project). I haven't found any 32 inch Falcons yet, and the Master Replicas one goes for nutso prices on eBay.
But of course, you have to still put in a bit of effort to make it look as good (weathering and that) as the real deal. Then again the thing is huuuge and so dang pretty. Heaps of ppl are doing week by week builds on youtubes if yall want to see how it looks.
I really want it :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Eh, so, I've pretty much been out of doing modeling for a few years now, and I want to get back into it. I was doing the 40k thing, for years, but the current editions are pretty cost prohibitive for something that I'm probably going to end up not actually playing. I preferred Chaos Marines, Orks, and always wanted to do some Forgeworld Chaos Renegade conversions. I had some Tyranids, Tau, and Space Marines here or there, but I didn't particularly care for the large flat surfaces asthenic.

My question is, are there any good models or lines that are not GW, that would fit what I would like to do? Or should I just bite the bullet and jump right back into 40k?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I've been experimenting with a new way of painting flesh colours, wetting the surface with matt fluid medium first and then 'flowing' a colour wash into it. The washes were made with ground up pastels and pigments (flesh ochre pastel for the first wash and red oxide pigment for the second) with Vallejos 'Glaze Medium' which is my new best friend. It slows drying time, improves flow and makes the paints more transparent making it ideal for shading. To finish I gave it a light dusting with a lighter flesh ochre pastel.

With this technique you get a sort of wax like effect because of the matt medium which looks great in this large scale.

I keep loving the hair and irises up though :bang:

Molentik fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 29, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, so, I've pretty much been out of doing modeling for a few years now, and I want to get back into it. I was doing the 40k thing, for years, but the current editions are pretty cost prohibitive for something that I'm probably going to end up not actually playing. I preferred Chaos Marines, Orks, and always wanted to do some Forgeworld Chaos Renegade conversions. I had some Tyranids, Tau, and Space Marines here or there, but I didn't particularly care for the large flat surfaces asthenic.

My question is, are there any good models or lines that are not GW, that would fit what I would like to do? Or should I just bite the bullet and jump right back into 40k?

Haha, gently caress no, GW is OK (but not top) quality but overpriced as all get out.
If you just want something nice to paint, check other miniature game lines like Infinity (anime-SF), Malifaux (steampunk/gothic-horror), Warmachine/Hordes(steampunkish fantasy), Confrontation (dead game but awesome stylized fantasy minis), and/or others and see if you like anything in particular.
If you're married to the 40K aesthetics/fluff, and want something special instead of Generic Evil Space Marine #216, you check one of the billion third-party manufacturers of alternative, "totally not 40k" resin bits or miniatures - Scibor, Puppets War, Kromlech, Spellcrow, Victoria Miniatures, are some that come to mind. Or you can just check if they have something non-40K.
Your next stop for more detailed info should be either the general miniature painting thread or the 40k thread.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Do you like the sci-fi part, or does it have to be specifically "GW style sci-fi"? Because there are a lot of nice kits for sci-fi TV shows, movies, video games or even some series that are invented primarily as model kits, like Maschinen Krieger. Either way, you will be hard to find a model kit that isn't cheaper than a GW kit of the same size, and as models they are probably a lot more detailed and high quality.

I started out as a warhammer gamer as a kid, and I found out that I really like to build "real world" tank kits. Some other people primarily like airplane kits, and some like sci-fi spaceship kits. You can find a decent kit for 15-20 bucks in pretty much any genre if you don't go for the huge scales, so a good start would be to buy some decent (not super super cheap, not crazy expensive) kits and give them a try.

You can always go and browse some model kit site, they have thousands of kits! If you check out http://www.hobbylinc.com/plastic-models for example, you'll see just how many different types of kits there are. If you don't find anything that appeals to you at all, then you're probably ready to jump back into 40K. But personally, I can hardly browse such a store without wanting to build a Bismarck, a Stuka bomber or a Tydirium shuttle.

If you can tell us if there is any specific genre that appeals to you, be it mechas or racing cars, we can probably give you some more hints about which ranges, scales and manufacturers to check out.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Molentik posted:

I'm not letting this go by without a mention. This looks amazing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Iron Crowned posted:

Check out Industria Mechanika. Should be a a bunch of stuff there you might like. Very pricey though, as they don't produce in the numbers that the big kit manufacturers do.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Our DCC system on the club layout is alive, and able to handle 6+ multi-unit trains at one time over 600 feet of track :feelsgood:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Molentik posted:

In what possible world is that a gently caress up :stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

He must be even more OCD than I am. Those look brilliant. I think to some extent, anyone who gets into modelling is their own worst critic.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Locator posted:

I think to some extent, anyone who gets into modelling is their own worst critic.
This is true. I paint minis for myself and also on commission, I've painted like 2/3 of the whole Malifaux range which gets ooohs and aaahs and is merely a decent (not even "good") tabletop level for me. Guess why my own minis languish unpainted :v:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

It doesn't really show on he pictures but the hair looks too uniform ,almost plastic like. And I used too many layers of varnish because these heads get handled quite a bit. I have some ideas on adding real hair. It's very doable for longer hair, but short hair like the sides and back of the typical German haircut is almost impossible.

And the eyes, well compared to stuff like this...

I've been thinking of getting some decal paper and make my own decals of irises from photos of the real thing, but my printer is broken atm.

Scale Modeling Thread: If you don't hate yourself your standards are too low

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Molentik posted:

I've been thinking of getting some decal paper and make my own decals of irises from photos of the real thing, but my printer is broken atm.

You could check out Zotz Decals. They sell packs of eye decals, with multiple scales included in each set.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Molentik posted:

Scale Modeling Thread: If you don't hate yourself your standards are too low

Yes, the cloth threads are painted on. (we really need a "throws out brushes, gives up on painting forever" emote)

(by Kirill Kanaev, here's some more)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 30, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's some fantastic painting. Makes the close-ups of my gun I'm about to post look pretty shoddy.

Oh well.

The learning trials of ship-building continue. Each little gun carriage gets 5 eye-bolts, which means I have to drill 5 little tiny holes (#78 drill, which is a .016" / 0.4064mm diameter hole). I started with a pin-vise and I discovered rapidly that the boxwood which these carriages are made out of is a LOT harder than the basswood I've been drilling before, and it took 10 minutes to drill one hole through the side of a carriage, and I had 29 more holes to drill. Ugh. Then a lightbulb went off and I remembered that a friend had gotten me this really awesome collection of little drill-bits that were very sharp but needed to be used in a press, since they are very hard/brittle. Well, I don't have a drill press yet, but I do have a little mill, so I chucked up the #78 bit, and then clamped the first carriage in the tool-bed vise. So awesome, got the 29 holes done in less time than the first one, and they are much more precisely located than they would have been.

Next up, I cut down the eye-bolts and glued 3 of them into each carriage. The other two for each carriage get a ring that the breech line will go through later on when they are rigged to the deck. These eye-bolts and rings are tiny and I ended up doing all this work wearing an optivisor magnifier thing.

I assembled all of the rings to their eye-bolts and used a tiny drop of CA glue to join the ends of the ring. Probably didn't need to do that. Then I decided to just finish one gun assembly because I wanted to see it done. I used very small strips of manila folder to form the trunion caps (the trunion is part of a cannon that sticks out on either side where it rests in the carriage). These were supposed to be made out of brass, but I made both brass and the paper ones, and the paper look better as I can't seem to get a nice smooth curve out of brass at this small scale. I put in the eye-bolt / rings on each side, added a handle to the quoin, and painted the rims of the wheels black to simulate iron bands. I was planning to add some more bolts and other details, like the retaining pins on each axle, but these things are so small that I decided I wasn't up to the task, so I think this is how the guns will all be completed, other than some clean up and touch up painting later on.

The paint looks really rough zoomed in this close, but even 6" away with my naked eye it looks smooth. Macro photography is both a blessing and a curse.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

The Locator posted:

That's some fantastic painting. Makes the close-ups of my gun I'm about to post look pretty shoddy.

Oh well.

The learning trials of ship-building continue. Each little gun carriage gets 5 eye-bolts, which means I have to drill 5 little tiny holes (#78 drill, which is a .016" / 0.4064mm diameter hole). I started with a pin-vise and I discovered rapidly that the boxwood which these carriages are made out of is a LOT harder than the basswood I've been drilling before, and it took 10 minutes to drill one hole through the side of a carriage, and I had 29 more holes to drill. Ugh. Then a lightbulb went off and I remembered that a friend had gotten me this really awesome collection of little drill-bits that were very sharp but needed to be used in a press, since they are very hard/brittle. Well, I don't have a drill press yet, but I do have a little mill, so I chucked up the #78 bit, and then clamped the first carriage in the tool-bed vise. So awesome, got the 29 holes done in less time than the first one, and they are much more precisely located than they would have been.

Next up, I cut down the eye-bolts and glued 3 of them into each carriage. The other two for each carriage get a ring that the breech line will go through later on when they are rigged to the deck. These eye-bolts and rings are tiny and I ended up doing all this work wearing an optivisor magnifier thing.

I assembled all of the rings to their eye-bolts and used a tiny drop of CA glue to join the ends of the ring. Probably didn't need to do that. Then I decided to just finish one gun assembly because I wanted to see it done. I used very small strips of manila folder to form the trunion caps (the trunion is part of a cannon that sticks out on either side where it rests in the carriage). These were supposed to be made out of brass, but I made both brass and the paper ones, and the paper look better as I can't seem to get a nice smooth curve out of brass at this small scale. I put in the eye-bolt / rings on each side, added a handle to the quoin, and painted the rims of the wheels black to simulate iron bands. I was planning to add some more bolts and other details, like the retaining pins on each axle, but these things are so small that I decided I wasn't up to the task, so I think this is how the guns will all be completed, other than some clean up and touch up painting later on.

The paint looks really rough zoomed in this close, but even 6" away with my naked eye it looks smooth. Macro photography is both a blessing and a curse.

This is loving amazing. I've been painting models starting with GW stuff in 1991 through to the plastic scale military models I'm doing now but have never seen or done anything like this, I'm loving your posts every time you put them up. Don't stop.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That's a PCB drill bit you're using. They're used to drill the pass through holes on circuit boards and come in all sorts of very small sizes. You can pick up boxes of them on ebay for next to nothing if you ever need more... and you will, since they're incredibly brittle.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

What kind of tiny mill did you get? That's the one thing I wish I had access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

big_g posted:

This is loving amazing. I've been painting models starting with GW stuff in 1991 through to the plastic scale military models I'm doing now but have never seen or done anything like this, I'm loving your posts every time you put them up. Don't stop.

Thanks, glad to know someone finds it interesting.

Sauer posted:

That's a PCB drill bit you're using. They're used to drill the pass through holes on circuit boards and come in all sorts of very small sizes. You can pick up boxes of them on ebay for next to nothing if you ever need more... and you will, since they're incredibly brittle.

Good to know. I've found them new for 3 bucks or so apiece, and sets of 100 (10ea of 10 sizes) for $70, but a quick eBay search shows that you certainly speak the truth. $25 for 500 #78 bits. Hehe.

everythingWasBees posted:

What kind of tiny mill did you get? That's the one thing I wish I had access to.

It's a Proxxon MF70. I got it with a bunch of accessories, and a pile of sample wood from a guy in Utah when I was up there last month. If I ever upgrade to a Sherwood I should be able to easily sell this for more than I paid for it, so I couldn't pass it up.

That's a blue mechanical pencil laying on it for scale.