Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why can't they just let Vision have a family? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why can't they just let Vision have a family? :smith:

Because several people are dead as a result. :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Because Tom King watched Revolutionary Road last year and goddammit he wants you to know about it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
If you had told me two years ago that watching a family of hyperlogical, unemotional, expressionless robots stumble through the grieving process would be enough to make me cry...

Ok, I probably would have believed you, because that's a drat good premise. Mining some grade A loving melancholy there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The part that got me was the "Is it good? Am I good?"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

When we last left our heroes in More Than Meets The Eye, they had received a super duper power up to help them in one last flailing charge against completely insurmountable odds. It didn't work, and it didn't work out for poor Ravage

I don't understand the context for "Don't change back". Is he saying Don't be autobot, or the opposite?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MisterBibs posted:

I don't understand the context for "Don't change back". Is he saying Don't be autobot, or the opposite?

I could see good arguments for either and I think that's part of what makes it a great story.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

MisterBibs posted:

I think he's saying don't become the monster you were again, as Ravage's arc for most of the last 30 odd issues has been for Megatron to show him just what sort of hosed up ideology Decepticonism was, and his death at the hands of that ideal at its most twisted sealed it for him

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Alacron posted:

You know, after debating for a while I decided "gently caress it, I'll post Mooncomix* if I want to"

Backstory, Eyeshield 21 is about a bunch Japanese teens playing high-school football, and they're gearing up for the Autumn Tournament. Yukimitsu is a nerdy guy who's spent his whole life glued to a desk, but ever since he joined the team he's pushed himself harder than any other player. Every time the team practices, he's the first one there and the last one to leave. Despite his efforts, he's a perennial benchwarmer, and has just been told that he's not going to be on the lineup for the tournament.

*Mooncomix means that you read right-to-left in superior Nippon style.

Eyeshield 21, Chapter 90

And then when he finally steps onto the field for the first time... :3:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think he's saying don't become the monster you were again, as Ravage's arc for most of the last 30 odd issues has been for Megatron to show him just what sort of hosed up ideology Decepticonism was, and his death at the hands of that ideal at its most twisted sealed it for him

The sad thing is how much Megatron's original ideals didn't need to be perverted like that, but Megs felt like he needed to resort to horrible methods and recruit tons of shitheads to get the job done and then kill them all afterwards. Hard to fight for peace "till the function of a weapon is inconceivable" and all of that when more than half your forces are such scumbags.

Funny how most of the assholes pre-war ended up joining the Decepticon cause. Ratbat, Lobe, Macabre, etc.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm curious now; how often have the 'ideals of Deceptionism' been really gone into? Is this the first time?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Bloodly posted:

I'm curious now; how often have the 'ideals of Deceptionism' been really gone into? Is this the first time?

pretty much yes. Megatron formed the Decepticons because at the time Cybertron was ruled by a government that stated that what you turned into determined your job for life and your position in society and there was no upward movement - if you turned into a drill, you were working class and if you're a microscope you're very much middle class, etc. It's why Whirl looks like he does - he turns into a helicopter but wanted to be a watchmaker and when the government found out, they ripped his head and hands off and replaced them with a single blinking light and claws. Megatron knew this wasn't fair and told everyone that they "were being deceived" but because the government's grip was so total and fear of change so prevalent, he had to resort to violence to achieve his aims.

And that's a lot of words about toys that change into things

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Basically the decepticons were totally right that the regime in charge needed to die horribly

They did take it a step to far, because Megatron is also a mechanical supremacist and started eradicating organic life throughout the galaxy when he had an army to help accomplish it. Even when they were portraying a group of Decepticons positively (scavengers debut) and Fulcrum makes a speech about how the Decepticons have gotten away from their founding ideals... those founding ideals still include eliminating inferior species.

There's a parallel universe where Megatron didn't have a rebellion, and it's a loving nightmare, but some Autobots think that it might be better because there's also no war and no one else besides Cybertron is suffering from it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So basically, autobots are utilitarianists? :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Acne Rain posted:

Basically the decepticons were totally right that the regime in charge needed to die horribly

They did take it a step to far, because Megatron is also a mechanical supremacist and started eradicating organic life throughout the galaxy when he had an army to help accomplish it. Even when they were portraying a group of Decepticons positively (scavengers debut) and Fulcrum makes a speech about how the Decepticons have gotten away from their founding ideals... those founding ideals still include eliminating inferior species.

There's a parallel universe where Megatron didn't have a rebellion, and it's a loving nightmare, but some Autobots think that it might be better because there's also no war and no one else besides Cybertron is suffering from it.

The only thing I don't get about this is, who the hell are the watchmakers? Is the energon bars ran by transformers that turn into kegs? It doesn't really make any sense but it's just a comic I should really just relax blah blah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I haven't gotten that far with the IDW TF comics yet, but am I right in that Megs means 'deceived' in that a Transformer's alt-mode isn't immutable? Like, if you really wanna be a soldier and you start off as a sailboat, you could totally find a way to become a tank, so the caste system is BS?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't gotten that far with the IDW TF comics yet, but am I right in that Megs means 'deceived' in that a Transformer's alt-mode isn't immutable? Like, if you really wanna be a soldier and you start off as a sailboat, you could totally find a way to become a tank, so the caste system is BS?

sort of. Basically if you turn into a tank, congrats you're a soldier and that's what you'll be forever. Want to be a medic? Well, you can't because tanks aren't ambulances and that's just the way it works. Megatron's initial premise was: why can't a tank be a medic? Why can't a microscope be a miner?

Actually, these explain it better:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 13, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
there's also two manners of construction in the IDWverse, one natural(ie coming from the life giving supercomputer at the heart of Cybertron) and one not(splicing new sparks from the Matrix of Leadership and putting them in newly constructed bodies) which is another form of racism.

Then the government chops off your hands and face, lobotomizes you, or both if they decide you're out of line or are "a dangerous criminal".

No one is safe. After a senator helps Orion Pax(Optomus Prime pre-war) fight the corrupt ruling class and prepares him to be a huge agent of progressive change, they finally get his hands on him and...well...that's the first time you find out the senator's name:

Yeesh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't the original transformers only turn into things because it let them hide among humans or something?

Like why would an alien robot species turn into an earth firetruck.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't the original transformers only turn into things because it let them hide among humans or something?

Like why would an alien robot species turn into an earth firetruck.

Nope. In the old cartoon, Transformation was invented as a trump card during the war before it moved off of Cybertron. Most continuities give them alien, "pre-Earth" modes. It's just a lucky coincidence small organic alien races happen to use vehicles perfect for Transformers disguising themselves as.

Although considering almost every Transformer is immediately recognizable for only using one form ever or has their faction logo stamped clearly on their altmode, I don't know about the whole robots in disguise aspect of the franchise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This sounds really complicated. I'm glad I was a ninja turtle fan instead.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

This sounds really complicated. I'm glad I was a ninja turtle fan instead.

:smug:
the first TMNT movie was my favorite of all time as a kid, but then, so was Batman & Robin

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man I just got done watching those seasons yesterday, let me recover in peace.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That's actually really loving solid sci-fi.

Weird to have it come from a franchise designed to sell toys.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The first TMNT movie is legit good, the rest completely change tone and aren't.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Turtles! Transform, and cowabunga.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Turtles! Transform, and cowabunga.

No, that would be Superman Legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL7UefNuvX8

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

VanSandman posted:

That's actually really loving solid sci-fi.

Weird to have it come from a franchise designed to sell toys.

The Transformers wiki is like the only one I've seen with a hint of self-awareness and tongue-in-cheek.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Pureauthor posted:

The Transformers wiki is like the only one I've seen with a hint of self-awareness and tongue-in-cheek.

lmao

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The only time the "to sell toys" aspect bothers me is when it's used as an excuse to kill characters off

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I'd call it 'the weight of years of obsession' except there are other fandoms about as long that are 'all 'just the facts'(Which it should be, if it hopes to be an encyclopedia), but without the extra humour value.

I wonder what it is? I don't go in for extra humour, but what they've done there works more often than not, without needing to be crass or anything.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Self-awareness among the Transformers fandom is probably a good thing and I would love it for other fandoms to follow their example.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qntm posted:

Self-awareness among the Transformers fandom is probably a good thing and I would love it for other fandoms to follow their example.

Your ignorance of how loving terrible the TF fandom can be is enviable.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Your ignorance of how loving terrible the TF fandom can be is enviable.

Well then, I'm just glad they don't let that terribleness seep through into their wiki too much. :shrug:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's because the wiki was spearheaded by mediocre webcomic guy David Willis, who has a lot of flaws but is pretty good at the whole self awareness/self depreciation thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The terribad part of the fandom is situated on TFW2005 and various FB groups.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

A touching Warhammer 40,000 comic? :psyduck: Who would have thought. No idea the source, or if it's just a fan webomic thing.

Spoiler because apparently some people don't twig to it:
The one talking is the Machine Spirit of the Bolt Pistol being left behind.
:nms: and :nws: for gore and such but I shouldn't need to tell you that, it's WH40K.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Maybe it's because I'm not terribly into 40k, but I kind of liked this better before the twist.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats kinda butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Well I didn't have any Transformers trivia knowledge to contribute :v: