Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Powershift posted:

To be fair, the bolt is in production and the model 3 is barely finalized.

Being the first to market won't mean poo poo in the long run if they can't meaningfully appeal to the average consumer. Without something equivalent to the Supercharger network, they probably won't get much interest from anyone who'd ever use more than 100 miles of range. The Bolt is supposed to have some form of DC fast-charge capability, but GM flat-out said that they have no interest in doing anything to help get more charging stations out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
It's going to be interesting to see how the major car manufacturers deal with competing with the Tesla supercharger network. I don't think Tesla gets enough credit for just how much work they've done securing all the property rights and building out all these charging stations. Unless GM (or anyone else) does something weird like make all their dealerships charging stations (which probably wouldn't be that useful, location-wise, realistically), they're likely going to have the same slow roll out as they negotiate all the different contracts with all the different popular places to charge.

It makes me wonder if Tesla's contracts they write up for Supercharger locations includes some kind of exclusivity when it comes to charging stations on that property? Tesla seems to have done a real good job at putting up Superchargers at a bunch of great locations you'd want to stop at anyway on any long road trip.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think most manufacturers have no interest in building out charging stations like they have no interest in building out gas stations. It's a large initial investment for something that's going to have basically no margin. Once there are cars to use them, more stations will pop up.

Being first to market definitely matters, tesla takes massive losses for the model S and X to be first to market. Once an electric 5 series or E-class makes financial sense, there will be one on lots and tesla will have to split their model S sales with companies who know how to put an interior together. Right now when you say electric car, people think "tesla", and that's entirely because they were first to market.

Most malls and big box stores switching from fluorescent and halogen light fixtures to LED frees up enough overhead for them to fill their parking lots with chargers once there is demand for it. your car gets charged, they get a shopper.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I assume the way it's going to play out is Tesla is going to let other manufacturers (or owners of cars from other manufacturers) use their superchargers in exchange for a fat fee, with margins such that the superchargers are profitable but it's not worth the effort and expense to build competing superchargers.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Powershift posted:

I think most manufacturers have no interest in building out charging stations like they have no interest in building out gas stations. It's a large initial investment for something that's going to have basically no margin. Once there are cars to use them, more stations will pop up.

Being first to market definitely matters, tesla takes massive losses for the model S and X to be first to market. Once an electric 5 series or E-class makes financial sense, there will be one on lots and tesla will have to split their model S sales with companies who know how to put an interior together. Right now when you say electric car, people think "tesla", and that's entirely because they were first to market.

Most malls and big box stores switching from fluorescent and halogen light fixtures to LED frees up enough overhead for them to fill their parking lots with chargers once there is demand for it. your car gets charged, they get a shopper.
Tesla weren't the first electric car. They were just the first *good* car that, oh by the way, happened to be electric.

And again, Tesla doesn't lose money on each car they sell. They lose money overall once you factor in the major R&D spending, but if they wanted to sell the S forever the company would be bringing in net dollars. With design work on the 3 done I suspect the next two major goals are the Model Y and overhauling the S for interior quality and manufacturability.

Major shopping malls maybe, but there's no need for strip malls to setup charging. There's just no point.

Side question, the 3 will be manufactured in Fremont but on a completely separate production line than the S/X, right? Simply due to production line speed it *has* to be that way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Major shopping malls maybe, but there's no need for strip malls to setup charging. There's just no point.

There's no need, but there is a want. As Powershift (fitting username for the context) suggests, strip malls etc can use charging points to attract customers. There's nothing more satisfying for an EV owner than to charge the car while doing something else. The mantra is charge when you can, not when you must.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

io_burn posted:

It makes me wonder if Tesla's contracts they write up for Supercharger locations includes some kind of exclusivity when it comes to charging stations on that property? Tesla seems to have done a real good job at putting up Superchargers at a bunch of great locations you'd want to stop at anyway on any long road trip.

It's common to see other L2 chargers nearby to Supercharger installations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Cockmaster posted:

they probably won't get much interest from anyone who'd ever use more than 100 miles of range.

Haven't I been lectured the last 5 years about how that's 96% of Americans so it doesn't matter?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Ola posted:

There's no need, but there is a want. As Powershift (fitting username for the context) suggests, strip malls etc can use charging points to attract customers. There's nothing more satisfying for an EV owner than to charge the car while doing something else. The mantra is charge when you can, not when you must.

Might make sense for some strip malls, but most of the ones I go to I'm in and out in a fairly short time where plugging and unplugging would take about as long as running in and buying what I came to buy (or picking up a pizza, or....). Plus strip malls tend to be limited in parking spaces, so locking up a spot for a (still rare) EV makes little sense.

The Supercharger stations are places where you might want to stop for 30-40 minutes on a long drive, either a rest area with bathrooms and a food court or a sit-down restaurant who is willing to give up parking spaces in the hope of drawing in an affluent Tesla owner as a customer. Charging stations make sense where you have both a surplus of parking spaces and a reason to stay for some time. Maybe not 40 minutes, but probably at least 15-20 to make the effort of hooking and unhooking to power worth it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the bolt coming in under $30k after rebates, less affluent companies will want people parked outside their front door. Mcdonalds could throw a few cords out of each of their buildings and become one of the worlds largest filling station chains.

Charge up the customer's electric car while giving them gas.

Each company owning their own charging stations for only their cars is the last thing the electric car needs.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Charging anywhere but home is a pain in the rear end unless it is a Chademo where I can get 50% in 10 minutes while I go in and shop. These stations are limited to one car at a time and just don't work for mass market. Maybe you can make a case for L1s at all day destinations like theme parks or zoos etc where you will stay for hours, but they are mostly useless. Outlet malls or places where you drive 60 miles to go to make sense, family dollar doesn't. City centers where the suburbs drive to make sense except the spots get filled with volts that park there all day because alternative parking is expensive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Charging anywhere but home is a pain in the rear end unless it is a Chademo where I can get 50% in 10 minutes while I go in and shop. These stations are limited to one car at a time and just don't work for mass market. Maybe you can make a case for L1s at all day destinations like theme parks or zoos etc where you will stay for hours, but they are mostly useless. Outlet malls or places where you drive 60 miles to go to make sense, family dollar doesn't. City centers where the suburbs drive to make sense except the spots get filled with volts that park there all day because alternative parking is expensive.

Once they transition from the outlier to the norm, more and more charging spots will become available.

And like you said, charging anywhere but home, you can't fill up your standard car at home. A lot of people will never need a charging station. Even with a 40 mile commute each way, that still leaves you 120 miles of range to gently caress around with every day. In that sense the focus, 500, smart, and 24kwh leafs just didn't work without a charging station.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

roomforthetuna posted:

I assume the way it's going to play out is Tesla is going to let other manufacturers (or owners of cars from other manufacturers) use their superchargers in exchange for a fat fee, with margins such that the superchargers are profitable but it's not worth the effort and expense to build competing superchargers.

I've seen precious little evidence to suggest this will happen. There's a big new initiative between the .gov and other stakeholders to build out charging corridors which includes developing a new fast charging but it'll be an SAE standard: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/07/the-white-house-hits-the-accelerator-pedal-to-increase-electric-vehicle-adoption/

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

Mcdonalds could throw a few cords out of each of their buildings and become one of the worlds largest filling station chains.

I can see this becoming popular, 5kwh free with the purchase of a large whatever, they could tie the whole thing together through their mobile app for purchase validation and additional charging for a fee.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

io_burn posted:

Unless GM (or anyone else) does something weird like make all their dealerships charging stations (which probably wouldn't be that useful, location-wise, realistically...)

The idea of basically any Manufacturer in the US (including imports) trying to convince the dealers to do anything even remotely like this makes me giggle uncontrollably.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

MrYenko posted:

The idea of basically any Manufacturer in the US (including imports) trying to convince the dealers to do anything even remotely like this makes me giggle uncontrollably.

It's possible, but you'd have to carry it out on during contract negotiations which happen only every few years. Also, good luck getting the dealers to go along with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interview with the Bolt chief designer. Not a peep about charging stations (not his job anyway), but here are some other choice clickbait quotes.

quote:

The project forced designers to try new tricks that may debut in other cars, all while on a supertight timeline toward the production version’s unveiling last January.

“We broke the mold on the Bolt EV,” the British designer said.

The Bolt has a drag coefficient of 0.32, Norris said. That compares with a superslippery 0.24 in the Toyota Prius hybrid. But the challenges were steeper given the Bolt’s squat, wedge shape.

“It’s a disaster for aero,” said Norris, who worked for seven years on the svelte silhouettes of sports car maker Jaguar before joining GM in 2004.

Another fresh idea: front seats that are asymmetrical. The distance from the center line of the seat to the armrest is shorter than the distance from the center to the door.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160807/OEM03/160809904/gms-korea-studio-broke-the-mold-with-bolt

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only one who thinks plug in hybrids will win the masses over a lot quicker since it doesn't have any range anxiety and you have the option of an instant refill? I think the incremental battery upgrades will make more of a difference on the smaller scale allowing people to do more local driving and then only use gas when they have to make longer trips.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

ColoradoCleric posted:

Am I the only one who thinks plug in hybrids will win the masses over a lot quicker since it doesn't have any range anxiety and you have the option of an instant refill? I think the incremental battery upgrades will make more of a difference on the smaller scale allowing people to do more local driving and then only use gas when they have to make longer trips.

:agreed:
The newer plug ins coming out that are <= $30k that are normal cars like prius prime and ioniq (sorry bolt, leaf, i3, model 3 with dystopian interior), that get ~25 miles electric only and infinity on gas will be perfect for most people especially as chargers and outlets become more common at work places and parking lots/garages in general. You will hardly ever use gas for daily commuting and errand running, and no range anxiety on longer trips.

Although, from a US-is-the-center-of-the-universe view, people are dumb and short sighted and since gas prices have been dropping people are going back to SUVs.* Our gas taxes are pathetically low.

* http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/science/cars-gas-global-warming.html?_r=0

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 10, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ColoradoCleric posted:

It's un-needed weight and complexity. There's certainly a spot in the market for it, but as battery costs continue to fall, the cost to build an electric car will be seriously affected by the addition of an ICE. Engine, transmission or generator, gas tank, cooling system, timing belts, oil changes, emissions tests, and for the average person, probably burning gas once in a while just so it doesn't go stale in the tank.

Cadillac couldn't sell 1000 ELRs a year even with $25k on the hood bringing the price to where it should have started. The market recognized it wasn't special enough, wasn't different enough.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So.... Here's some input for you.

The Leaf can definitely lock the plug to itself and even allows for it to automatically unlock when the charge is complete.

Nissan definitely DOES offer free charging at their dealerships as well as at certain 3rd party chargers for free through an agreement with ChargePoint. I believe it is 2 years, maybe three.

There's a filter for "no charge to charge", that's all the free stuff.
https://nissan.chargepoint.com/charge_point

Also, why are they not doing diesel-electric style cars where the motor isn't connected to the drive train and can run at a real sweet power band and not have to deal with transferring energy to the road wheels?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jago posted:

Also, why are they not doing diesel-electric style cars where the motor isn't connected to the drive train and can run at a real sweet power band and not have to deal with transferring energy to the road wheels?

The Volt was the closest to this out there, but even on it they decided that in certain situations (highway speed cruise) it's still more efficient to just lock the engine to the wheels than it is to go engine -> generator -> motor -> wheels. I think the i3 with a range extender might do away with that.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Jago posted:

Wasn't that what the Fisker Karma was trying to do?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jago posted:

Because then they need an engine, a generator, an electric motor, a fuel tank, emissions treatment AND a battery pack.

Diesel electric makes sense for trains and mine trucks because they're basically always full throttle.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Because then they need an engine, a generator, an electric motor, a fuel tank, emissions treatment AND a battery pack.

Diesel electric makes sense for trains and mine trucks because they're basically always full throttle.

Right, but most hybrids now have all that plus a transaxle and an engine that has to deal with variable speeds and torque.

What does full throttle have to do with diesel electric being a better fit in those applications?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jago posted:

Right, but most hybrids now have all that plus a transaxle and an engine that has to deal with variable speeds and torque.

What does full throttle have to do with diesel electric being a better fit in those applications?

hybrids benefit from torque fill, a gas engine sucks at low RPMs and is good at high RPMs, the opposite of an electric motor. They compliment each other, each contributing. completely removing the gas motor from the road, you lose it's benefits. The motor in most hybrids also acts as the generator. That's why the fisker karma is rated about the same as a yukon hybrid and weighs about the same as well. That's also why you don't see diesel hybrids.

Full throttle matters because at low throttle/low RPM, a diesel engine will barely move itself. Any time the engine is off or near idle, it's costing more energy to haul it around than it contributes. like the fisker karma, in electric mode you're hauling around a bunch of poo poo that isn't contributing to the operation of the vehicle. Once it is contributing, it would be doing far more good directly driving the wheels that it does runnning a generator.

The chevy cobalt with the same gasoline engine as the karma was rated at 22mpg city, 30 highway. the karma itself was rated 21 city, 20 highway on gas.. It was good intentions behind engineering. Even worse when the volt came out it was criticized for the engine being capable of directly driving the wheels despite that being the most efficient way to move the car.

If a tesla model s does 260 miles at 60 miles an hour, that's 75kwh in 4.3 hours, so uses 17.4kw to produce that, taking into account efficiency losses and all that, you would need a 20kwh generator. which weighs 925lbs and consumes 1.6 gallons an hour at full load, and 1 gallon at half load(seeing the benefit of full throttle?), so you would need 6.88 gallons, or another 49lbs of diesel and a container.

http://www.enginepowersource.com/9-20kw-mobile-diesel-power-generator.html

So you need to haul around 1000lbs of additional equipment costing around $15,000 for those rare instances you need to double the range of a tesla equivalent from 260 miles to 520 miles.

or you could stop and plug it in somewhere every once in a while.

Also worth noting, in this situation, assuming hauling 1000lbs of diesel generator doesn't hurt your range/economy, while running off the range extender, you would be doing 37.8mpg. worse than a diesel golf.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 11, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

or you could stop and plug it in somewhere every once in a while.

Until it becomes feasible to cross states in less than a day, this tech is hamstrung as basically city-only tech. That's a start, but I can't get anywhere on a charge on most electrics on the market. There are stretches in this country where even small towns are more than an hour apart on the interstate, and real cities can be 4, 6, or 8 hours apart (since let's face it, places like Lovelock, NV probably doesn't have many charging options). If you're traveling across the eastern seaboard where there's plenty of charging support, you still have to stop too often for too long to make this viable for road trips.

So yeah, hybrids have a place, and they're going to continue having a place until battery tech makes some pretty major energy density improvements.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

Until it becomes feasible to cross states in less than a day, this tech is hamstrung as basically city-only tech. That's a start, but I can't get anywhere on a charge on most electrics on the market. There are stretches in this country where even small towns are more than an hour apart on the interstate, and real cities can be 4, 6, or 8 hours apart (since let's face it, places like Lovelock, NV probably doesn't have many charging options). If you're traveling across the eastern seaboard where there's plenty of charging support, you still have to stop too often for too long to make this viable for road trips.

So yeah, hybrids have a place, and they're going to continue having a place until battery tech makes some pretty major energy density improvements.

Hybrids are rarely financially beneficial with their intial cost over the standard model taking 200,000-300,000 miles to pay back, but if you're looking to feel better about not polluting your immediate environment, then yeah, that's their place.

Also, Lovelock, nevada has a supercharger. You could charge in lovelockk and drive to las vegas stopping once to charge in tonopah with over 40 miles of range buffer on each leg. similarly driving to salt lake city with a stop to charge in elko, or if you really hated yourself, a quick top up in winnemucca, and you can drive non-stop to boise idaho. It's slightly less convenient, and there are still some places you can't go, but the average person would have to make up an pretty extravagant scenario where a tesla wouldn't work right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Godholio posted:

I agree that density in many places in the west is too low right now, but stopping for an hour every 4-4.5 hours of driving doesn't exactly seem like a huge burden (and honestly should be encouraged for safety.)

Yes, it doesn't help you if there's not enough density in 4 hours to support fast charging. Honestly though, if you live in an area with that low of a density, it really doesn't gently caress all matter what car you are driving because your environmental impact is negligible.

There are plenty of vehicles that struggle to hit 300 miles of range on gas (my WRX can MAYBE make it to 270 miles before the light comes on), so it's not exactly a unique issue to EVs if you live in a sparse area where even gas stations can be few and far between.

Calling 250ish range EVs city only tech isn't really fair though. It's barely over 300 miles to cross Pennsylvania (for example) and there's a whole hell of a lot of "not city" in there.

My most common longer trip is driving from Pittsburgh to DC and I could easily do that in a Model S. It would be stretching it to do on one charge, but the PA turnpike has a fast charge station about 80 miles into the trip. I'd actually be far more concerned about driving back since my friend lives in a townhouse and I don't know if 120v would be fast enough to top off the car fully during a weekend trip (not to mention having an extension cord running across the sidewalk.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ColoradoCleric posted:

Yes, plugin hybrids are a good gap fill for many while we wait for the 200 kWh battery packs cruising on 350 kW charging networks. My father-in-law has a Mitsubishi Outlander phev and a charger in the garage. He drives electric locally and on gas on his 100 mile round trip commute. Or, he doesn't choose what do drive on, the car figures it out seamlessly depending on state of charge, state of driver's right foot and speed. It's real nice to have regen braking for downhills in a fossil car, albeit a mild flavor.

There are diesel hybrids as well, but the only one I can think of is the Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4. They share platform with Citröen, but not sure if there ever was a diesel hybrid DS4. FWD diesel + electric motor in the back. The 4WD mode is the closest you get to diesel-electric. I tried it once. I love French dad cars MPVs but on full power the slushy dadbox makes the whole car buck like a rowing boat in a storm. Awful.

Anyway, if your commute is 100 miles or less round trip and your spare time long distance driving is along highways, a Model S and a plug in the garage sorts you out no problem.

Godholio posted:

Until it becomes feasible to cross states in less than a day, this tech is hamstrung as basically city-only tech.

Where did you hear it takes more than a day to cross a state?

There are certainly swathes of land without coverage (and lol at the electric desert down in oil country), but A to B via highway near the densest population centers is pretty well catered for. You don't drive until the battery is empty, then wait until it's full. You leapfrog supercharger to supercharger (this obviously applies to Teslas only for now), or even drive past one or two depending on density and consumption. The charging speed is throttled at higher state of charge (as with all batteries) so you gain little distance pr unit of time above 80%, therefore "20 to 80" is the rule of thumb. Charging enough to get you to the next charger is typically less than 30 minutes. Cup of coffee, post on the forums, take a piss, off you go.

Europe is starting to look pretty good as well.

Add a few dots in southern Italy and Spain, buy me a Model S and I would be happy to drop holiday flying in Europe.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godholio posted:

Those last-minute cross-country road trips to deliver a grandfather clock seem to get in the way of a lot of goon car decisions.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

drgitlin posted:

Those last-minute cross-country road trips to deliver a grandfather clock seem to get in the way of a lot of goon car decisions.

Well it's part of my daily commute you see.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

VW dealers had to install stations to sell the e-Golf, as did Chevrolet dealers to sell the Volt. Of course the infrastructure has to be subsidized by the OEM, but the possibility is there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Powershift posted:

Hybrids are rarely financially beneficial with their intial cost over the standard model taking 200,000-300,000 miles to pay back, but if you're looking to feel better about not polluting your immediate environment, then yeah, that's their place.

Also, Lovelock, nevada has a supercharger. You could charge in lovelockk and drive to las vegas stopping once to charge in tonopah with over 40 miles of range buffer on each leg. similarly driving to salt lake city with a stop to charge in elko, or if you really hated yourself, a quick top up in winnemucca, and you can drive non-stop to boise idaho. It's slightly less convenient, and there are still some places you can't go, but the average person would have to make up an pretty extravagant scenario where a tesla wouldn't work right now.

I agree about the financial ROI, that's why I didn't buy one when my old Focus was due for replacement a couple of years ago. Teslas and the Bolt are the only vehicles I'm aware of with the kind of range necessary to make it from one city to the next. Most of the market is still <100 miles range. And even if there's the necessary charging station in each city/town, you're stopping every 60-90 minutes to recharge.

Relying on the Model S as evidence that it's fine isn't really accurate. It's far beyond the price point of the most of the car buying public, and until the Bolt was released it was equally an outlier on range. It's not representative of the EV market. My only point is that hybrids do have a place in this market, and will continue to have a place until the non-hybrids are up in that 200-300+ mile range. Right now I think there are only two (Tesla and Bolt) out of the dozen+ models available.

Ola posted:

Where did you hear it takes more than a day to cross a state?

Nebraska alone takes about 6 years.

drgitlin posted:

I used to regularly (a couple of times a year) go on 2500 mile road trips. Had to buy a vehicle with that in mind. These days it's only about an 1100 mile trip, once a month. In addition to my 70 mile commute. Round trip numbers. This has always been a factor when I'm buying a car. I looked REALLY hard at the Volt last time, but the market didn't shift the way I wanted until about 18 months later. :shrug:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 11, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

It's not representative of the EV market. My only point is that hybrids do have a place in this market, and will continue to have a place until the non-hybrids are up in that 200-300+ mile range. Right now I think there are only two (Tesla and Bolt) out of the dozen+ models available.

Ok I agree with that, although I disagree a bit with the first sentence. The Model S is the EV market in many ways, it's what EVs are supposed to be. But definitely out of reach for most car buyers. Nissan Leaves and e-Golves are as you say, city technology, even if people cross the Norwegian mountains with them every day.

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 11, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Godholio posted:

I used to regularly (a couple of times a year) go on 2500 mile road trips. Had to buy a vehicle with that in mind. These days it's only about an 1100 mile trip, once a month. In addition to my 70 mile commute. Round trip numbers. This has always been a factor when I'm buying a car. I looked REALLY hard at the Volt last time, but the market didn't shift the way I wanted until about 18 months later. :shrug:
Well, you're a slight outlier.

And what was mentioned above, the S is the ideal EV, the rest are just compliance cars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I agree, a nearly $100k electric supercar is the ideal. But it's not the standard.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VW dealers had to install stations to sell the e-Golf, as did Chevrolet dealers to sell the Volt. Of course the infrastructure has to be subsidized by the OEM, but the possibility is there.

Chevy dealer chargers are in the service department, and aren't publicly accessible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As 200+ mile range electric cars get on the road, chargers will pop up. How many gas stations do you think there were in 1910? walmart lets people sleep overnight in their parking lots because while they're there they'll probably go in and buy poo poo. Charging an electric car is no different. They'll stick coin op car charger chargers in the corner of their lot and have someone who's probably going to go into the store for half an hour while the car charges.

Right now, you can rent a car for longer trips. With a week and $300, you an put 4000 miles on a rental car, compare that to the cost of maintenance, depreciation and tires on your own vehicle.

We're transitioning from gas to electric no different than we did from horse to car. It will be more difficult for early adopters, but the benefits far outweigh the difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

Chevy dealer chargers are in the service department, and aren't publicly accessible.

The last Chevy dealer that I was at had 2 out in front of the showroom in the parking area.

• Locked thread