Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's here and plantedtank.net for me where people will tell you your tank looks like rear end. :v:

Also thats the reason why I havent posted pictures of my tank in awhile. loving loaches ate all the clean up crew so the place is a loving mess with detrius everywhere. I should rehome them then get back into shrimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

It's here and plantedtank.net for me where people will tell you your tank looks like rear end. :v:

Also thats the reason why I havent posted pictures of my tank in awhile. loving loaches ate all the clean up crew so the place is a loving mess with detrius everywhere. I should rehome them then get back into shrimp.

Yeah, I'm too much of a chickenshit to post pictures on plantedtank.net. Good for reading though and they usually aren't too insane, unless you're looking at photos of how much better other peoples' tanks look.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Loaches are wolves in sheep's clothing that are also a plague of locusts.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Yeah, I'm too much of a chickenshit to post pictures on plantedtank.net. Good for reading though and they usually aren't too insane, unless you're looking at photos of how much better other peoples' tanks look.

Ditto on this. It's a great place to read but reading is plenty for me and my snail-infested tanks.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I'm a huge slob in every other aspect of my life but for some reason in the aquarium hobby I feel the need to be a perfectionist. So I always have these grand ideas to get my tanks looking amazing and polished and finally complete so I can take gorgeous pictures and show them off to everyone... but the tanks are never finished. There's always a new decoration or a better filter or new lighting, just always something new. As soon as the tanks get close to being finished I get a new shipment of upgraded equipment and they're that much farther away from being "done." I think I'll get there one day though, when I end up with those crazy $300 Fluval external filters on every single tank and there's absolutely nothing else I can possibly buy.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Can we all share a moment of silence for my total cheese tank? Gravel and decorations are in storage, and it is now in the process of being converted into a sump.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

Can we all share a moment of silence for my total cheese tank? Gravel and decorations are in storage, and it is now in the process of being converted into a sump.

If I had two other aquariums I would totally do something like that. I love it.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I think I have that same set of multicolored plastic plants. That tank is gorgeous.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw man. What happened to it?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Aw man. What happened to it?

Just an unfortunate casualty of getting the new 180, no room for it anymore. The tank itself will get used as a sump on the 180, but I don't really have any place for the decorations anymore. :sadwave:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

:magical:

One of these days I'm going to a horrible, gaudy tank with garnet sand, hideous rocks of a different color, and like a grab bag of African cichlids.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Once you have around 3 tanks you can let evil impulses like that take over on one of them. :getin:

I'm really excited to get my new tank, but it is kinda bittersweet losing the 55. It was the first tank I got back in 2002, my only tank for a decade, and has been the home to many awesome fish over the years.

It was actually the first home for my group of frontosa, who have gone from 55 to 90 to 120 and now to a 180. Here is a pic of them in the 55 from shortly after I got them.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 16, 2015

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Shakenbaker posted:

:magical:

One of these days I'm going to a horrible, gaudy tank with garnet sand, hideous rocks of a different color, and like a grab bag of African cichlids.

Don't forget an LED color changing bubble wand.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hah, that reminds me. I made a crappy video to show the lightning effect LED I had on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lb_3Fij6Yk

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Once you have around 3 tanks you can let evil impulses like that take over on one of them. :getin:

I've got two four foot tanks right now, and a 20 that's just in the back yard full of tadpoles because I didn't bother to move it before the summer rains. Technically have another 75 gallon waiting for me, just have to find a way to transport it a few hundred miles.

Multi-tankitis is debilitating.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Don't forget an LED color changing bubble wand.

And the little diver guy!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Shakenbaker posted:

I've got two four foot tanks right now, and a 20 that's just in the back yard full of tadpoles because I didn't bother to move it before the summer rains. Technically have another 75 gallon waiting for me, just have to find a way to transport it a few hundred miles.

Multi-tankitis is debilitating.

And the little diver guy!

The idea of a tiny man trapped forever at the bottom of an aquarium creeps me out. Pretty much anything else goes though.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He'd be like my phylactery though.

edit: real talk that next 75 is going to be angel fish city. What's everyone's favorite dithers for angels? I was kinda thinking bleeding heart tetra because I had some (one) when I was a fishtank nublet but I'm open to suggestions.

Shakenbaker fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 16, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Malachite green killed off a ton of the bacterial colonies in my tank. Just did a big water change, and while I still have some ich on the remaining guppy (lost 5 of the 6 I got), things seem to be improving. Losing one of my plants as well which I was expecting. Two fry have appeared to survive the initial feeding frenzy and are now too large for anything to eat save maybe the mollies, but they aren't quick enough to catch them when one creeps out from under the marimo ball or driftwood. they are quite clearly molly fry and not guppy as I thought, as their dorsal fins are far too centered to be guppies. I'm not happy about keeping the water temperature this high but the fish don't seem to be doing poorly in it so I intend to leave it for a few weeks until I am confident the ich is gone. Soon, assassin snails to help manage the current snail explosion.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I had to euth the male guppy, poor thing couldn't swim right in the end. Never doing priority shipping for fish again.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
:allears:

As far as stupid projects go, I have yet to successfully get a mossball tumbler to maintain constant motion for over a week.

SynthOrange posted:

Also thats the reason why I havent posted pictures of my tank in awhile.
Post your mess.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Somehow I don't think those 2 assassin snails are going to get the job done...

Unrelated to that picture, I found a dead otocinclus this morning. No signs of any disease and everything else in the tank is fine. Is there anything in particular that would kill an otocinclus or does it just happen sometimes?

republicant fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 16, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

republicant posted:

Unrelated to that picture, I found a dead otocinclus this morning. No signs of any disease and everything else in the tank is fine. Is there anything in particular that would kill an otocinclus or does it just happen sometimes?

My snail problem seems substantially smaller now.

Are the otos newish? I know they are wild caught and can get very stressed for a long time after being introduced to a tank, and if they don't eat for a while they have digestion issues.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Not new to us but we did move a pair to another tank within the past couple days and one of the pair died. The other oto looks fine but I'm going to keep an eye on it. I thought about putting it back in the original tank but that would probably stress it too much and kill it. The tank they were moved into is the oldest/most established tank out of all the ones we have so I guess it was probably just stress from being moved. We have five others and they're all going to have to be moved so that sucks. :(

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

republicant posted:

Give them some time. They really work hard. I started off with 2 assassins in my tank and after 3 months there are now about 40 assassins and the pest snail population has gone from hundreds to zero.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was able to pick up the new tank today. It is one heavy bastard! Got it all taped up and prepped to paint the back and overflow areas black.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I didn't realize this thing was going to be such a beast! The box weighs at least 20 pounds.

Its little sister here is somewhat less impressive but I've never had a filter with the spray bar feature before and I'm excited. I've never owned anything from the Penn-Plax Cascade line and now I have two. This is for the invert tank because cherry shrimp have some strange obsession with climbing inside those Tetra Whisper filters where the top is completely open and the cartridge is exposed.

And my latest haul from Amazon + Petco's website. I've never owned a Marineland filter either so I decided to try one out. I'll have to make a list of all the different cartridges I'll need to buy for all these different filters.

Coming home to a bunch of boxes full of this stuff is like being a kid on Christmas. I just hate not having something new to set up and work on. And upgrading my tanks prevents me from getting more new ones, otherwise I feel like I would run out of room and end up sleeping in a 100 gallon myself.

republicant fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 17, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

God bless Chinese canister filters :911: Love my Sun Sun.

My recommendation for that Marineland HoB filter is to plant that sucker. Fill the basket with some rocks to eat space at the bottom and pillow batting (the plain kind, not the anti-fungal) at the top, and then toss some riparian plants into it; peace lilies are cheap and ubiquitous. If you have adequate natural light use that but if you don't a brooder clamp light and a 6500k~ CFL will work fine. Plants in, plants out :slick:

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

My recommendation for that Marineland HoB filter is to plant that sucker. Fill the basket with some rocks to eat space at the bottom and pillow batting (the plain kind, not the anti-fungal) at the top, and then toss some riparian plants into it; peace lilies are cheap and ubiquitous. If you have adequate natural light use that but if you don't a brooder clamp light and a 6500k~ CFL will work fine. Plants in, plants out :slick:

I looked at the Sun Suns but my heart made me go for the Cascade 1500. It cost $100 but I paid like $50 for my old Decorative Reptofilter that was only rated up to 55 gallons and this one's for up to 200 so that's not bad at all. Some Amazon reviewer said that theirs has been running since 1993. One day I hope to be in a career and financial situation where I can actually afford a Fluval brand filter.

Once my turtle hits 5 1/2 inches I'm going to start looking at upgrading to a 100 gallon tank, where he should be able to stay for the rest of his life. That was another reason to spring for the highest powered filter possible, I was going to go with a slightly cheaper 100 gallon Cascade 1000 but I figured that since I'm spending a good chunk of money anyway, may as well spend a little bit more and get the best thing possible. Turtles need as much filtration as you can possibly give them so I wouldn't want to have a filter that was only rated for the actual size of the tank. Hell that 70 gallon Penguin I got is going on a 20 gallon tank that already has an Aquaclear 50 and the 20 gallon Cascade internal filter is going in a 10 gallon. I go massively overboard on filtration for all of my tanks, it might be a waste of money but it lets me overstock them a bit and still have crystal clear water and healthy fish.

I had no idea that putting plants in your filter was something people did. Do the plants provide adequate filtration compared to traditional media or is it more of a decorative thing? Since I have a crapload of filters I'll research it and look into it, that sounds really cool.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

republicant posted:

I looked at the Sun Suns but my heart made me go for the Cascade 1500. It cost $100 but I paid like $50 for my old Decorative Reptofilter that was only rated up to 55 gallons and this one's for up to 200 so that's not bad at all. Some Amazon reviewer said that theirs has been running since 1993. One day I hope to be in a career and financial situation where I can actually afford a Fluval brand filter.

Once my turtle hits 5 1/2 inches I'm going to start looking at upgrading to a 100 gallon tank, where he should be able to stay for the rest of his life. That was another reason to spring for the highest powered filter possible, I was going to go with a slightly cheaper 100 gallon Cascade 1000 but I figured that since I'm spending a good chunk of money anyway, may as well spend a little bit more and get the best thing possible. Turtles need as much filtration as you can possibly give them so I wouldn't want to have a filter that was only rated for the actual size of the tank. Hell that 70 gallon Penguin I got is going on a 20 gallon tank that already has an Aquaclear 50 and the 20 gallon Cascade internal filter is going in a 10 gallon. I go massively overboard on filtration for all of my tanks, it might be a waste of money but it lets me overstock them a bit and still have crystal clear water and healthy fish.

I had no idea that putting plants in your filter was something people did. Do the plants provide adequate filtration compared to traditional media or is it more of a decorative thing? Since I have a crapload of filters I'll research it and look into it, that sounds really cool.

The SunSuns are over-rated gallon-wise but they are certainly functional. I've got the 100 gallon-rated model with a UV light on my 55 and it works like a champ. Actually replaced my HoB Fluval with it after the spindle on the impeller broke and have not looked back since. The amount of media you can cram into a canister filter is kinda bonkers.

I know turtles are dirtier by an order of magnitude than most fish though, the little (big) crap factories. I always run at least two filters a tank, generally my main filter and a sponge filter or two. I'm in Florida though, so thunderstorms and power outages are a real concern for me and having a backup in the tank that can't dry out is worth the tiny bit of hassle it adds. A little bit of redundancy can save you a lot of headache.

Planted filters are a little more decorative than functional but they're not devoid of benefit. Akin to a floating plant they'd be taking everything they can manage out of water column to stay alive, but they're confined to a given space. I don't believe you loose a whole lot though because pillow batting is one hell of a mechanical/biological filter, akin to sponge filters. Any riparian or bog plant works in them; I've had golden pothos and wandering jew in mine before I decided maybe having vining plants trying to scale my inside walls was a bad idea :v: Every few months or so take it out, replace the batting and re-plant the filter. It can definitely overgrow and reduce the efficiency of the filter overall.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Shakenbaker posted:

Go look at the plantedtank.net riparium/terrarium/vivarium subforum! There you can everything from putting pennywort in your HoB filter to little planter boxes that you hang off the back and sides of your tank to partially landscaped to dart frog vivariums. I went in looking at whether to do the HoB thing and left thinking about getting orchids and tree frogs.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I drove myself crazy trying to buy enough timers for all my lights and just kind of gave up. Then I realized that instead of plugging one light into one timer with one outlet, I can plug six lights into a power strip and then plug that into the timer. And I just happen to have two digital timers, two power strips with six outlets each, and 12 lights in total. It's like it was meant to be. I can't wait for the algae in my turtle tank to go away since his lights won't be on 16 hours a day anymore.

Edit: efff the power strip thing only works if the strip has a 2 pronged plug and not 3... I have one that has 2 prongs which seems to be incredibly lucky. I can still make it work though.

republicant fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 17, 2015

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

For my tanks I've ended up with a chain of power strips for the guppy fluval, the corydoras tank and the three shrimp tanks, and my phone/router are in the same area and have to sit on the same powerboard and at the big tank the tea kettle sits on the same outlet as the pump/lights/heater/UV. I would have liked putting tanks not all over my kitchen/dining room area but this part of the house was remodelled by the people who lived here before and has a good number of double power outlets. All the original parts of the house have a single socket power outlet per room which makes it very difficult!

So far the remaining six of my new panda cories are doing well, and the new penguin tetras are thriving and rapidly growing. The guppy fry are reaching plague proportions and I'm going to have to put the females back in my big tank and hope that the barbs and danios can help keep the numbers down. Last time I tried putting the danios and guppies together there was instant hostility but the danios are schooling with the barbs now in the other tank and seem really relaxed. I did another test run with a single female and she was completely ignored by the danios. I'd like to leave some males in the corydoras tank because the positioning of the lighting there seems to show off their colours really well. I am definitely reaching the point of overstocking in the big tank I think.

I've got the beginnings of an idea to set up a sheltered pond just for the fish, to keep them out of the worst summer sun and I think some guppies and barbs could live out there which would take some of the stress off my indoor tanks. I think I'll draw up some plans and post them here when I'm done.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uuuuuh, what the gently caress. One of my chain loaches now looks completely different from all the others. It's like she's a yoyo loach now.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

The most commonly-used vernacular name of ‘yo-yo’ loach is derived from the typical body patterning in juveniles of the group, comprising a series of alternating ‘i’ and ‘y’ shaped black, grey or brown bars (usually 4-5 of the former, 3 of the latter) which in most specimens appears to form that phrase if one imagines the ‘i’ bars to form the centre of each ‘o’.

As the fish age the bars break up in a process sometimes referred to as anastomosis. B. almorhae group members are further told apart from other Botia spp. by a base body colour of ‘whitish, yellow, golden, or very light green’ and relatively large adult size of up to 160 mm SL (Grant, 2007).

How old is she? Maybe they're all going to change? I can't find any visual examples of whatever this quote is talking about though :( post some pics of your weird coloured fish!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I did a little more research after posting and it looks like as they age, their patterns break up. It looks like a cross between a yoyo loach and what you'd generally see described as a dwarf chain loach.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Aaaaa I'm so dumb. I was trying to put the canister filter together and I thought a piece was missing, the seal for the filter media baskets. The instructions tell you to put it between the baskets and the basket cover but what they don't tell you is that it's on the bottom of the motor unit and not in the bags with the other loose pieces.

I finally got tracking information from Aquatic Arts so I'm about to become the happy owner of a ton of fish and snails (and crabs). I ordered so much stuff that they're shipping it in three boxes.

republicant fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 17, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
So this little dude showed up in my tank...

:dings:

Guess my platy's are gettin' bizzay.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Slightly off topic, as it's a saltwater tank, but suddenly my 55gal seems inadequate.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6695479/Husband-guts-family-home-to-build-150k-aquarium.html

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I have an ick outbreak and every treatment I see seems to be incompatible with my stock. Meds will kill my snails and shrimp, salt may harm my neon tetras and plants. The tank is heavily planted with an Amazon sword, multiple anubias and Java ferns, Java moss, wisteria, and a crypt. In addition to the previously mentioned animals, I have a bristlenose (this is the bastard that brought it in) and an oto. Heading to the pet store soon to get whatever I need.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

How long showing no ammonia or nitrites is safe until I begin adding more fish to my tank? I was worried that I might have crashed my cycled tank after removing all the gravel and such, but the seeded filter and plant material seem to have handled the swap just fine. No ammonia or nitrites within a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

astrollinthepork posted:

I have an ick outbreak and every treatment I see seems to be incompatible with my stock. Meds will kill my snails and shrimp, salt may harm my neon tetras and plants. The tank is heavily planted with an Amazon sword, multiple anubias and Java ferns, Java moss, wisteria, and a crypt. In addition to the previously mentioned animals, I have a bristlenose (this is the bastard that brought it in) and an oto. Heading to the pet store soon to get whatever I need.

Raise your temp some a do daily water changes. Keep the temperature up a few days after you stop seeing spots.