Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
X-men is kind of a Microcosm of all of DC right now; its got some good stuff, but a lot of it is poo poo, many people are staying with books because they love the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And they're all about to die, again.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I liked All-New this week, even if I also really liked Toad being with the X-Men.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I really enjoyed 92. It's fun and light for the most part.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I finished all of Peter David's X-Factor (except for All-New) and I have to say I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be an article or an interview with him that mentions how deeply rooted the story is in suicide. Practically every character in that book either kills themselves or wants to kill themselves at some point. I'd go so far as to say it's even the main theme of the run.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Little Mac posted:

I liked All-New this week, even if I also really liked Toad being with the X-Men.

Yeah, just finished this week's ANXM and while I in general liked Toad becoming a good/not bad guy, his reason for being a villain are sympathetic/good and it was handled well.

This issue really fixed a lot of my problems with the series. I'd say it's solidly not on my imminent drop list anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

So I finished all of Peter David's X-Factor (except for All-New) and I have to say I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be an article or an interview with him that mentions how deeply rooted the story is in suicide. Practically every character in that book either kills themselves or wants to kill themselves at some point. I'd go so far as to say it's even the main theme of the run.

Yeah, I just started it and 6 issues in that's a pretty big theme.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I just started it and 6 issues in that's a pretty big theme.

It gets more obvious!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So in the cold open for the most recent Jay & Miles they have Lemeire tell them what Cyclops did, though its all bleeped out, it had something to do with Scott, Emma and Magneto, which would explain why we haven't seen Emma either. Though I wonder if there are any clues in Uncanny.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

twistedmentat posted:

So in the cold open for the most recent Jay & Miles they have Lemeire tell them what Cyclops did, though its all bleeped out, it had something to do with Scott, Emma and Magneto, which would explain why we haven't seen Emma either. Though I wonder if there are any clues in Uncanny.

Oh...I just figured that was something completely made up as misdirection. Greg Rucka did something similar in his cold open I thought.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We actually already know it involves at least Emma from things he's said earlier anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I assumed Emma had something to do with it as she's been AWOL, and not actually mentioned. Though If I was to guess, she's a prisoner in Attilan.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm still pretty sure that Scott's death was faked or whatever and Emma is currently with him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

So, round numbers, this thread is about two years, 120 pages, and three? five? status quo revisions old. Anyone want to get a new thread going? I would also support just closing this thread and fold the X-chat into the Marvel thread, but I suspect that I'm in the minority on that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Make it an Inhumans thread.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Squizzle posted:

So, round numbers, this thread is about two years, 120 pages, and three? five? status quo revisions old. Anyone want to get a new thread going? I would also support just closing this thread and fold the X-chat into the Marvel thread, but I suspect that I'm in the minority on that.

This thread's continuity should be as long and convoluted as the X-Men's continuity.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Make it an Inhumans thread.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
The I-MEN: Sworn to Protect a world that hates and fears them so they use a fart cloud to make them fellow I-Men thus solving this problem.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cabbit posted:

This thread's continuity should be as long and convoluted as the X-Men's continuity.

Should we get ahead of the curve and set up a podcast explaining its continuity for newcomers? I'd like to see Rhyno & Lurdiak X-Plain the X-Thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll get started catching up on my X-thread back issues.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cabbit posted:

I think a 120 page thread with an OP that went out of date years ago is already perfect.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I think a 120 page thread with an OP that went out of date years ago is already perfect.

Beats pretending to care about inhumans, at least.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Serious Frolicking posted:

Beats pretending to care about inhumans, at least.

hey now, the beats of the MCU have a long history of solidarity with their oppressed superhero brothers and sisters

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Was Bernard the Poet a Inhuman? He's became Lockjaw didn't he?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Was Bernard the Poet a Inhuman? He's became Lockjaw didn't he?

No, Lockjaw was always a dog. Quicksilver stated he was just bullshitting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
X-men 92 is where its at, though I'm surprised that they decided to make Jubilee a vampire again.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I was really expecting them to use it as an excuse to bring in the old Midnight Sons team, complete with an angry, chain-smoking Johnny Blaze in a trenchcoat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I just realized that having the Strucker Twins means they are willing to go outside the X-men scope, though those twins have shown up in X-men books before. I'd love to see a X-men 92 version of Cap or Iron Man or whoever.

I'd not surprised if Ms Marvel shows up because Rogue's relationship with her did show up multiple times in the show.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

twistedmentat posted:

I just realized that having the Strucker Twins means they are willing to go outside the X-men scope, though those twins have shown up in X-men books before. I'd love to see a X-men 92 version of Cap or Iron Man or whoever.

I'd not surprised if Ms Marvel shows up because Rogue's relationship with her did show up multiple times in the show.

Before they showed up in Thunderbolts I believe the junior Struckers were almost exclusively X-Men villains? They first appeared, IIIRC, bothering Storm in Africa, then crashed Magneto's trial, and spent part of the 90s messing with X-Factor and doing Upstarts stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Archyduke posted:

Before they showed up in Thunderbolts I believe the junior Struckers were almost exclusively X-Men villains? They first appeared, IIIRC, bothering Storm in Africa, then crashed Magneto's trial, and spent part of the 90s messing with X-Factor and doing Upstarts stuff.

I'm sure they appeared somewhere else before that, I could be wrong.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure they appeared somewhere else before that, I could be wrong.

Wikipedia says Fenris' first appearance was Uncanny X-Men #194; the first appearance of the twins themselves was in issue #200. They were introduced to gently caress with the trial of Magneto at the UN, essentially.

EDIT: Wait, I got that backwards. The twins first appeared in #194; they appeared as Fenris in #200. Oops.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Wikipedia says Fenris' first appearance was Uncanny X-Men #194; the first appearance of the twins themselves was in issue #200. They were introduced to gently caress with the trial of Magneto at the UN, essentially.

EDIT: Wait, I got that backwards. The twins first appeared in #194; they appeared as Fenris in #200. Oops.

Yes, the era of Magneto's purple suit with the giant "M" on it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

I was really expecting them to use it as an excuse to bring in the old Midnight Sons team, complete with an angry, chain-smoking Johnny Blaze in a trenchcoat.

Johnny Blaze, free of Zarathos, is way too cool of a character to ever be used again. Danny Ketch/Noble Kale 4 lyfe.

Robbie Reyes is cool to I guess.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I finally started to listen to Rachel and Miles ave this is a great podcast. It's also one of the only nerd podcasts I've heard where no one has an annoying voice. Thanks for the recommendations

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soonmot posted:

I finally started to listen to Rachel and Miles ave this is a great podcast. It's also one of the only nerd podcasts I've heard where no one has an annoying voice. Thanks for the recommendations
Oh man I'm so envious of all the little parts you get to discover for the first time!

On a considerably less positive note, this kind of sums up all of my problems with Wolverine in All-New X-Men. As well as illustrates a few implications I didn't pick on the first time (which I am going to guess were unintentional on the writer's part, but still).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh man I'm so envious of all the little parts you get to discover for the first time!

On a considerably less positive note, this kind of sums up all of my problems with Wolverine in All-New X-Men. As well as illustrates a few implications I didn't pick on the first time (which I am going to guess were unintentional on the writer's part, but still).

That tumblr post is a fantastic summary of why Laura/Warren is so bad and why I'm glad Laura and Warren have hosed off from ANXM (although I'm like 90% sure they'll be back and will be as badly written as ever). Nothing Warren says or does seems to feel like he's genuinely concerned for Laura's mental or physical health, or even he's mad at her because she's not appreciating his concern for her well-being. It's literally just him complaining she's not following his orders like he's Scott Summers or something.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Echoing the love for the above posted Tumblr essay about Laura and Warren. Also want to show some love for the Squirrel Girl and Wolverine theme tune Tom Taylor (and his son) made(!), which you can listen to here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/x-position-tom-taylor-all-new-wolverine-civil-war-ii-squirrel-girl

Excellent musical stylings aside, I really do hope that we get a long run with Taylor, and I'm excited for Takara to take over art duties as well so hopefully he also stays on board for a good while.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I liked the idea that the song implies that Laura and Doreen will become BFFs. I don't think she's had a real friend since Hope.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

Echoing the love for the above posted Tumblr essay about Laura and Warren. Also want to show some love for the Squirrel Girl and Wolverine theme tune Tom Taylor (and his son) made(!), which you can listen to here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/x-position-tom-taylor-all-new-wolverine-civil-war-ii-squirrel-girl

Excellent musical stylings aside, I really do hope that we get a long run with Taylor, and I'm excited for Takara to take over art duties as well so hopefully he also stays on board for a good while.

:allears:

twistedmentat posted:

I liked the idea that the song implies that Laura and Doreen will become BFFs. I don't think she's had a real friend since Hope.

Well there was Finesse, but that ended...badly.

And I think she was friends with Elixir, but then he kinda died. I'm still confused why she just stood by and let him get eaten(?) in The Logan Legacy, considering he saved her life not once but twice. I mean he turned up fine later, but I'd wager that was because Bendis doesn't pay attention to continuity whatsoever.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Yvonmukluk posted:

:allears:

Well there was Finesse, but that ended...badly.

And I think she was friends with Elixir, but then he kinda died. I'm still confused why she just stood by and let him get eaten(?) in The Logan Legacy, considering he saved her life not once but twice. I mean he turned up fine later, but I'd wager that was because Bendis doesn't pay attention to continuity whatsoever.

True, but Laura needs someone to just hang out and eat pizza and watch netflix with and stuff. A Nightcrawler to her Wolverine. Maybe they can start up a new verison of the Defenders with Wolverine, Squirrel Girl, Hawkeye, Ms America, Hellcat and Valkyrie.

I've said it since the start of the ANAD Marvel, Laura and Warren are Bendis baggage that needs to be ejected ASAP, and I'm glad it only took a handful of issues. I really do miss the other new Mutants though. I really wanted to see Goldballs and Tempest to become part of the Glob Herman posse.

• Locked thread