Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
no wonder labour are hosed when they were run by political geniuses who thought tristram hunt was a good choice for stoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

If I lived there and knew I had a choice of voting against Tristram loving Hunt, I would be very sorely tempted even as a Labour party member.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If poshness is bad for labour then no wonder Jeremy is having a hard time.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
you think jeremy corbyn is posh?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yes. You don't?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
he is a man born in chippenham, who went to a polytechnic - without completing his degree, then worked for trade unions.

his mother was a teacher and his father an engineer.

as someone who knows chippenham, none of that sounds posh to me

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jose posted:

no wonder labour are hosed when they were run by political geniuses who thought tristram hunt was a good choice for stoke

It's more they were going by the idea that they thought they could stick a red rosette on anyone and win safe seats so airdrop their favourite SpAds into them, completely ignoring the fact that there's a reason that they became Labour safe seats and it wasn't because the people there like the colour red.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

It's more they were going by the idea that they thought they could stick a red rosette on anyone and win safe seats so airdrop their favourite SpAds into them, completely ignoring the fact that there's a reason that they became Labour safe seats and it wasn't because the people there like the colour red.

third wayism is cool and good and definitely not at all responsible for current problems here and the US

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

he is a man born in chippenham, who went to a polytechnic - without completing his degree, then worked for trade unions.

his mother was a teacher and his father an engineer.

as someone who knows chippenham, none of that sounds posh to me

He's called Jeremy and grew up in a massive house. He also sounds posh. He's posh as gently caress.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

Yes. You don't?

Oh come the gently caress on. You can say a lot of things about Corbyn, mainly about his competence as a politician, but he's definitely not posh; he doesn't have "lineage" and he certainly doesn't have large amounts of accumulated capital.

And this is coming from someone who experienced actual poverty in a third world country at a time it was deeply submerged in an economic crisis - subjectively speaking I see my present self as posh as gently caress, but you need perspective - people on salaried incomes will never truly be "posh" compared to the capital class.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 23, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the man does not sound posh, he has an unremarkable accent from the south of england.

if the criteria for being posh is that they're not an illiterate fuckwit who is able to enunciate properly and don't south reet northern then yeah I guess he is.

e/ pissflaps is racist against southerners. also a home owning tory.

also Corbyn went to jamaica to do voluenteer work at 19. so now we know where he developed his taste for dark chocolate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

southerners are really bad tbf

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
given that pissflaps is south of you, i might have to agree

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

if the criteria for being posh is that they're not an illiterate fuckwit who is able to enunciate properly and don't south reet northern then yeah I guess he is.

Tell us more about how you really feel about the working classes, it was extremely illuminating last time.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
corbyn is working class you muppet.

being working class is not the exclusive preserve of those north of the watford gap.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

corbyn is working class you muppet.

being working class is not the exclusive preserve of those north of the watford gap.

Ah because 'working class' means 'has a job'. I see.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's almost like "working class" is a much broader term than the rich capitalist class would have you believe, huh... almost... almost like they want the working class earning less to hate the working class earning more (and viceversa!), when it's all peanuts compared to the rich fat bastards running the media machine making us all hate each other instead of uniting against them.

Pissflaps posted:

Well yes, it means you depend on income you receive in exchange for your labor (or would do so, if you had a job).
It doesn't really include rich fuckers' sons that get an income in exchange for being daddy's boy.
But if you're doing a job and you get £300k annual income out of it, guess what you're still working class, at least until you save up enough so you can live off your accumulated capital. Then you stop being working class.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 23, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't think anyone itt can defend southerners as not being really bad

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

Don't descend to their level Jose.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

and 'can speak proper' = posh.

right.

the man is nowhere near the upper class, or even those who have gatecrashed via the ruling class prepschools of Oxford & Cambridge.

both of his parents were employees, not petit-bourgeois let alone fully fledged bourgeois.

And yes 'has job' is pretty much the definition of working class.

the bourgeois are those who make their money via the exploitation of other people's labour.

jesus christ man, do you really not know the basics?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

u have a southener running ur football club and you are top of the league and about to get promoted?! how can they be all bad ?!

tino asprilla was from SOUTH of the equator!!!!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
No. Being called Jeremy, having a brother called Piers, going to a 'prep school' and growing up in a manor house is what makes you posh.

The posh voice is just a giveaway.

JFairfax posted:

And yes 'has job' is pretty much the definition of working class.

This is interesting. Everyone with a job is working class.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

JFairfax posted:

the bourgeois are those who make their money via the exploitation of other people's labour.

jesus christ man, do you really not know the basics?

It's almost like he's some sort of Blairite/Lib Dem centrist fuckwit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think you understand the definition of working class from an economic standpoint pissflaps.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JFairfax posted:

u have a southener running ur football club and you are top of the league and about to get promoted?! how can they be all bad ?!

mike ashley is a massive oval office

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

mike ashley is a massive oval office

has he ever called your women folk dogs?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

JFairfax posted:

Going by that definition I declare myself the most southerner of all brits in this thread (unless we have a Falklander).

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

I don't think you understand the definition of working class from an economic standpoint pissflaps.

Economic? What other standpoint is there to define someone's class?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

This is interesting. Everyone with a job is working class.

yes, if you exchange your labour for a wage you are working class.

if you are a shop keeper, a business owner, someone who makes money from investments; where your labour is not exchanged for a wage, but you make profit from the labour of others, you are middle class / petit-bourgeoise / bourgeois.

if you have significant inherited / family wealth / titles / land then you're probably a member of the upper classes.

do you really not know this?

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 23, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i ain't even a loving marxist goddamn

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The media has done a super good job of making half the working class hate the other half. You're not gonna get through centuries of conditioning.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Having said all that, "Jeremy" is the most middle-class name imaginable.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Does being named "Jeremy" make you posh? My uncle's named Jeremy, I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear that he's reached the upper echelons of society.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am guessing he was probably named after Jeremy Bentham.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm guessing he was given a posh oval office name so he'd fit in at his posh oval office school.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
pissflaps as a homeowner you can rent out part of your property so that you can become a member of the petit-bourgeoisie

e/ I am actually in hysterics at the fact that pissflaps literally does not know the definition of working class

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I'm guessing he was given a posh oval office name so he'd fit in at his posh oval office school.

going to a state funded grammar school as a day pupil isn't posh pissflaps

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

JFairfax posted:

also Corbyn went to jamaica to do voluenteer work at 19. so now we know where he developed his taste for dark chocolate.

To be fair that makes him sound pretty posh, but maybe my mind has just been warped by all the voluntourism trips middle class students pay for to go and help kids in Africa for a month, feel good, and get some cute photos of African kids hugging them whilst smiling.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nothing to seehere posted:

To be fair that makes him sound pretty posh, but maybe my mind has just been warped by all the voluntourism trips middle class students pay for to go and help kids in Africa for a month, feel good, and get some cute photos of African kids hugging them whilst smiling.

yeah, I would imagine it was rather different in the late 1960s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

yeah, I would imagine it was rather different in the late 1960s

Why? Was travel more accessible to the working classes then? The need to find employment less?

• Locked thread