Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Meallan posted:

What is the easiest of the dream time bosses? I want to defeat at least one so I can get the dream nail expansion; but drat are they hard.

Most people say Lost Kin (Broken Vessel re-fight) but you can kind of cheese Failed Champion (False Knight re-fight) by staying really close to him on the ground. I've noticed that if you stick right up close to FC he'll spend a lot of time just jumping over you and never actually taking swings at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Dookie Defender is probably the easiest, or Soul Tyrant if you have the dodge cape.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Re: lore chat

One thing to remember is that to bugs, darkness is a good thing while light is the evil force. All the beasts your dreamnail have some variant of "light bad" and "darkness safe", which makes sense, insects by and large are going to feel much safer in the dark than in the light. Except for moths, obviously.

Also as an aside dream isn't dreaming as we know it but the entire spiritual realm itself. What's more interesting is what Soul is, it's the power source of magic but all we really know is that dealing with alot of it really fucks up you (sanctum) and that it is amply supplied by a former civilization we know absolutely nothing about.

A general mystery in the game is where the hell all these bugs are coming from. The Wyrm is the source of all sapience in bugs and leaving Hallownest renders you mindless, yet these various travelers keep showing up long after the fall of civilization.

ANYWAY

I'm trying to do the pantheons with all bindings active because I hate myself, so just wondering if anyone else is trying that and has any advice. I do know that nail arts become really important with your damage nerfed so much, and actually the extended nail spin is super useful for damage racing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm trying to do the pantheons with all bindings active because I hate myself, so just wondering if anyone else is trying that and has any advice. I do know that nail arts become really important with your damage nerfed so much, and actually the extended nail spin is super useful for damage racing.

I only did the first one with all bindings at once but if you're just doing it one by one it's pretty simple to make a all melee build if magic can't be used (Fury of the Fallen, Unbreakable Strength, Nailmaster and Steady Body).

If Nail Strength is bound just went with a magic build with Spell Twister, Grubsong, Quick Focus that kinda thing.

No Charms or the Health binding I just try not to get hit and have quick focus for pinch heals

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
no, all 4 bindings active at once. like I said, I hate myself.

I already did the first one, now I'm stuck on the second pantheon. I've got a pretty good strategy up until Nosk, but that guy can be so unpredictable that he messes me up bigtime. I've got a strat for broken vessel and paintbro, so its just getting a good nosk off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

no, all 4 bindings active at once. like I said, I hate myself.

I already did the first one, now I'm stuck on the second pantheon. I've got a pretty good strategy up until Nosk, but that guy can be so unpredictable that he messes me up bigtime. I've got a strat for broken vessel and paintbro, so its just getting a good nosk off.

Teach me your ways because someone on the previous page said you unlock something by completing each pantheon with all bindings and just the thought of that makes me want to crawl into a hole and never come out.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 6, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Teach me your ways because someone on the previous page said you unlock something by each pantheon with all bindings and just the thought of that makes me want to crawl into a hole and never come out.

well, like coolguy said, you don't need to do them all at once to get the pips to count. However! Doing all the pips at once will give you a :smug: cool glow :smug:

Anyway, this speedrun of the first pantheon is a pretty good start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wuYfUfKmQI
That said, this guy misses out on using the extended spin slash (mash attack after the slash starts to make it last longer) to max out DPS. On False Knight, Hornet, and Dung Defender the spin slash can kill them in under a minute flat. Other than that, its important to realize that your damage is going to be nerfed not just by the nail binding but by the base range as well. So you generally want to circumvent that with nail arts or magic.

Magic in particular needs to be abused to get through these. Descending dark in particular is super good because of the I-frames, but abyss shriek puts out ridic damage if you have an opening to use it. You 100% need to practice the individual bosses especially the new bosses at the end. Unequip all your charms, go to the boss's statue and try to practice getting through the boss without getting hit, or practice getting hit three times then healing up. Be sure to waste your magic past a single bar.

I hope they add an achievement for this to show how insanely loving stupid I am! Maybe God of Fools

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Meallan posted:

What is the easiest of the dream time bosses? I want to defeat at least one so I can get the dream nail expansion; but drat are they hard.

As C-Euro said, Lost Kin is generally considered to have the least bullshit going on. If you're having trouble with the ghost spam, Defender's Crest and/or Spore Shrooms can take care of them for you.

Besides that, there are tricks for dealing with the other dream bosses, too. If you have Quick Slash and a few of the lifeblood charms, you can basically race Failed Champion, though the two damage per hit can take some adjusting to. Soul Tyrant seems crazy at first, but if you just stand in the corner of the arena, it's easy enough to dodge everything he throws at you (for example, his ground slam in the first phase doesn't quite reach the edge, so you have to jump over the shockwave but don't have to dodge his body), then sneak hits in whenever he does his float-across-the-arena thing.

The dream bosses are definitely a difficulty jump, but you'll be able to handle them with practice, and they're good prep for the final boss. Keep at it, and you can do it. :)

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah I'll keep trying. I did post back on the nintendo thread before buying this game that I was afraid of getting stuck playing it, but I have managed to reach the normal ending and am currently at 80% completion! So I guess I just need to be persistent and try new charm combinations (hell these bosses don't have failure penalties so you can always jump back to them).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

well, like coolguy said, you don't need to do them all at once to get the pips to count. However! Doing all the pips at once will give you a :smug: cool glow :smug:

Anyway, this speedrun of the first pantheon is a pretty good start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wuYfUfKmQI
That said, this guy misses out on using the extended spin slash (mash attack after the slash starts to make it last longer) to max out DPS. On False Knight, Hornet, and Dung Defender the spin slash can kill them in under a minute flat. Other than that, its important to realize that your damage is going to be nerfed not just by the nail binding but by the base range as well. So you generally want to circumvent that with nail arts or magic.

Magic in particular needs to be abused to get through these. Descending dark in particular is super good because of the I-frames, but abyss shriek puts out ridic damage if you have an opening to use it. You 100% need to practice the individual bosses especially the new bosses at the end. Unequip all your charms, go to the boss's statue and try to practice getting through the boss without getting hit, or practice getting hit three times then healing up. Be sure to waste your magic past a single bar.

I hope they add an achievement for this to show how insanely loving stupid I am! Maybe God of Fools

Yeah I tend to lean pretty heavily on just nail-dueling a lot of bosses and saving Soul for healing, especially since I was using Quick Focus when I beat the first two pantheons. Luckily that just means I've gotten really good at timing Nail Art attacks.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also, I went on the hk discord and they mentioned to try practicing on the radiant version of bosses

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Meallan posted:

I personally found Soul Tyrant easiest. I had died to Soul Master so much that I remembered the patterns, so a same, but faster fight was relatively easy for me. Same tells and everything.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

A general mystery in the game is where the hell all these bugs are coming from. The Wyrm is the source of all sapience in bugs and leaving Hallownest renders you mindless, yet these various travelers keep showing up long after the fall of civilization.

I think the games says he "expanded their minds" which most people assume means sentience but it could also refer to maybe freeing the bugs of Hallownest from The Radiance's influence as well. I mean clearly there are bugs both coming and going so that's kind of how I am taking it.

Also there is another way to bullshit past Failed Champion, absolutely none of his attacks can hit the very top of the left side wall. So you go up and crystal charge to stick there. You need to equip Glowing Womb, Defender's crest, Weaversong, Grubsong, and Dream Wielder. The enemy can't hit you but your mobs can hit him, and grubsong lets your weaverlings collect soul for you to keep spawning more exploding hatchlings in. Oh and I also brought Grimmchild for more damage but hes not needed. This takes sticking there for a good 10 minutes though.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 7, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

There are other civilizations. The messages about sources of sapience and losing your mind are specifically for "higher beings", the void servants Wyrm made. It's implied from folks like Quirrel that they just lose their memories and become wanderers until they're called back to the kingdom.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nothing but pale wyrm propaganda!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Playing on switch but I'm really liking the feeling of everything opening up and getting lost in exploring. I think I've managed to get to the City of Tears-> Soul Master->Royal Waterways->Mantis Lords->Deepnest->Resting Grounds-> Palace Grounds-> Howling Cliffs and I know I must have missed several bosses and upgrades just crawling around poking everything. It's great. I have the dreamnail and know about Dreamers now so I guess that's next on the list.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

There are other civilizations. The messages about sources of sapience and losing your mind are specifically for "higher beings", the void servants Wyrm made. It's implied from folks like Quirrel that they just lose their memories and become wanderers until they're called back to the kingdom.

nah the message specifically says those foolish enough to traverse this void must pay the toll plus if you dream nail one of the bodies it says something like "no mind no king rest" so from what we can infer leaving hallownest does remove sapience.

but like

where the hell is everyone coming from then????

Knorth posted:

unironically probably true

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That wasn't ironic in the first place

Bugs who worship the wyrm leaving the pale light of Hallownest might be affected adversely but Hallownest is not the only civilisation despite their boasting to the contrary, even within the game map

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Knorth posted:

This, but actually - the Pale King is trying to tell people that he's the only thing that can stop the infection, and/or trying to prevent people from going to the dangerous wilds where, presumably, their chance of succumbing to the infection are much higher.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

nah the message specifically says those foolish enough to traverse this void must pay the toll plus if you dream nail one of the bodies it says something like "no mind no king rest" so from what we can infer leaving hallownest does remove sapience.

but like

where the hell is everyone coming from then????

unironically probably true

The Cliffs seem to be an "Edge of the world" style affair, so maybe other civilizations come from elsewhere?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the grimm troupe inherently implies there's other kingdoms out there

i mean how the hell else would their whole 'thing' function otherwise

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
See, Hallownest is what happems when you don't properly dispose of your magic artefacts. Like some wizard forgot an expired amulet in his back yard, and the next time he looks behind the compost, it's just endless insect murder.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Note that regarding bugs losing their memories upon leaving Hallownest, after denouncing Grimm and joining the Dirtmouth bunch post-banishing, Brumm doesn't remember where they came from or how they got here. There are consequences for denying your buggod when you're just a simple bug

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

What's more interesting is what Soul is, it's the power source of magic but all we really know is that dealing with alot of it really fucks up you (sanctum) and that it is amply supplied by a former civilization we know absolutely nothing about.

Interesting thing someone pointed out about the Soul Sanctum and what went on in there. They were hoarding large amounts of soul and doing all kinds of experiments with it, which might not seem so bad at first until you remember the main way you gather soul in the game. By inflicting harm on things.

The massive piles of corpses in there along with the horribly deformed goop bug enemies, as well as Soul Master's soul telling you the king constantly tried to stop him - whatever sick poo poo went on in there was too evil even for Mr. No Cost Too Great (to the point he probably had Lurien keeping an eye on them given the telescope in his room), plus the fact that it eventually deviated from trying to find a cure for the plague to just trying to obtain immortality instead makes me think the Soul Master is possibly one of the most evil characters in the game.

I find that surprising given nearly all of the characters in the lore and game only ever approach "dubious" at the worst. There's not really any outright evil characters besides him other than maybe Nosk?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^Nosk was a simple predator with an effective lure. I'd hesitate to call the soul master evil, who knows how much of what he did was due to the madness of the infection.

like, the only figure you can probably approach calling evil is the Pale Wyrm, if only he should have really known that the Radiance was not going to take being erased lying down. Plus the literal mountain of corpses he made desperately trying to find a temporary solution to the infection.

Also once everything had gone to poo poo he just peaced out.

EDIT: After 15 loving hours, finally beat Pantheon 2 with quad bindings!!!

lol im gonna literally kill myself on 3

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 7, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Looking for a bit of guidance

1/ I'm at about 2200 essence - is it worth going for the last kill of soul tyrant to finish it off?

2/ Is there an updated soul blast somewhere I've missed?

3/ I've found one half of what I assume will get me to the "good" ending, but genuinely no idea where to get the second half

4/ I got the "bad" ending earlier today and have done about 89% of the map according to my stats, just wondering broadly where to go, I'm missing a few charms but I feel like I've investigated everywhere - the only place I've not been to is the hive - I found a small entrance, and I found the outside of the hive underneath the nail sage house at the end of the world - but no idea where the actual entrance is or how to get in.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Which half did you get? Rough place spoilers

If you didn't have a fight to get it, head east.
If you did, go to the area above the deep nest and look hard.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

Looking for a bit of guidance

1/ I'm at about 2200 essence - is it worth going for the last kill of soul tyrant to finish it off?

2/ Is there an updated soul blast somewhere I've missed?

3/ I've found one half of what I assume will get me to the "good" ending, but genuinely no idea where to get the second half

4/ I got the "bad" ending earlier today and have done about 89% of the map according to my stats, just wondering broadly where to go, I'm missing a few charms but I feel like I've investigated everywhere - the only place I've not been to is the hive - I found a small entrance, and I found the outside of the hive underneath the nail sage house at the end of the world - but no idea where the actual entrance is or how to get in.

The answers to most of these questions lie in the Ancient Basin, assuming you already have the brand (if not, Kingdom's Edge). For your first question I think it's possible to get to 2400 essence even while skipping two soul bosses now that there are so many new dream fights, but I don't know which of those you've done.

For getting into the hive, wherever there are bees loitering around there's usually an entrance/wall to the hive, but there's one spot where the hive isn't visible at all... or is it? Start from the tram station and head into Kingdom's Edge and break the wall behind the first bees you come across, it's the wall above a spike pit so it's extra tricksy.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 7, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Artelier posted:

I got the one from, I think her name was the white queen? I've not played in about 10 days properly, I remember her being in the queens garden.

For reference - the lost mantid lord? absolute bastard to kill, but I did it.

Pigbuster posted:

The answers to most of these questions lie in the Ancient Basin, assuming you already have the brand (if not, Kingdom's Edge). For your first question I think it's possible to get to 2400 essence even while skipping two soul bosses now that there are so many new dream fights, but I don't know which of those you've done.

For getting into the hive, wherever there are bees loitering around there's usually an entrance/wall to the hive, but there's one spot where there doesn't seem to be any hive in sight... or is it? Start from the tram station and head into Kingdom's Edge and break the wall behind the first bees you come across, it's the wall above a spike pit so it's extra tricksy.

I've finished off the Dream Knight where you fight the first boss as well as the Lost Kin.

I've done four of dream zote, but am stonewalled at the fifth / last (also, real glad the femme bug got out, give her a happy ending please, team cherry)

I have beaten regular Grimm, but haven't gathered the last flames to give NKG a shot yet.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
By soul blast, do you mean the regular shooty magic or the big up spell?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Knorth posted:

By soul blast, do you mean the regular shooty magic or the big up spell?

Regular - I already upgraded the big up spell.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ah, if you've found an elegant key around there's a very fancy locked door in Soul Sanctum that might be of interest

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Knorth posted:

Ah, if you've found an elegant key around there's a very fancy locked door in Soul Sanctum that might be of interest

I'm pretty sure I have, I'll go take a look there. Thanks!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The third pantheon has reminded me how much I hate fighting Grimm. I really wish I could fight NKG instead, that fight is so much nicer.

I also hate fighting GPZ and vengefly kings but those bosses don't have an obviously superior version.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Darox posted:

The third pantheon has reminded me how much I hate fighting Grimm. I really wish I could fight NKG instead, that fight is so much nicer.

I also hate fighting GPZ and vengefly kings but those bosses don't have an obviously superior version.

I'm kind of the exact opposite- I really like the regular Grimm fight but NKG just feels kind of phoned in to me, almost like a fan-made "extreme mode" mod or something. Maybe I'm just bitter because I can't beat him though.

E: Yes I realize that a bunch of fights in this game are "this boss you already beat, but harder", I just thought NKG was going to be a big change-up from Grimm with the way people ITT were talking about the fight.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 7, 2018

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I did it thread! I defeated the 3 dream bosses!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Meallan posted:

I did it thread! I defeated the 3 dream bosses!

Great! Now try to defeat the fourth!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Then you can go for the fifth!

The third pantheon seems like a massive jump up in difficulty compared to the first two. I was breezing through the first two and the Masters themselves were the only real challenge, but every boss so far in the Sage pantheon is causing me problems.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Artelier posted:

Just to clarify, I think for the second you mean the area above the Abyss, since, you know, there's a place called Deepnest and above it is actually the other half that he already has.

If you want a more vague lore-based direction: you got half of the Kingsoul from the Queen... so who do you think will give you the other half? And where is that person, er, bug, purported to live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarUc_Yh_YY

5th pantheon with all bindings and the Land of Storms so folks can be underwhelmed if they haven't seen it themselves yet.