Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

If inviting a few "celebrities" to a PT makes you feel this upset, then maybe grinding for the PT isn't for you. There's like a million other ways Wizards shits on aspirational "pros," is this seriously the thing that people are going to choose to be bothered by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I suppose I'm required by law to run this guy if there's ever a goon duel commander tournament.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Again, people lost their loving minds when Melissa DeTora, a regular in the professional Magic scene, got a special invite to Pro Tour Gatecrash.

Likely because she's a woman. If it had been someone like Mike Flores, then the only people upset about would would have been from this forum and a few outliers.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

clamiam45 posted:

Seems like a dumb decision because WotC could just organize a celebrity invitational. That would be a much better way to show off star power than pitting celebrities against people who spent two weeks constantly grinding away on the formats.

They could even make a special set for it, like a cube. Call it Iconic Masters and stream it.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
If anything my concern is how they'll actually monetize this. They gonna have a camera on Amaz all day? Or did they just invite a guy to give him one feature match before the immediate descent into the negative winrate brackets?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'll take being corrected.

It's still essentially both.

And god it's kind of sad how many pro panties get in a bunch when someone didn't earn their stripes to get to the PT. Like someone else said, it's one person out of hundreds.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm not sure why they even care? Playing against Amaz should be a free win since he's not a professional magic player. Get over yourselves, magic pros, and worry about winning the pro tour.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
If the complaint is that he's being awarded a spot without putting in some arbitrary amount of grinding: sure. He is!

Play hearthstone and attract a four-digit audience and maybe you too can win a free invite to a 1-5 drop

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ShaneB posted:

I'll take being corrected.

It's still essentially both.

And god it's kind of sad how many pro panties get in a bunch when someone didn't earn their stripes to get to the PT. Like someone else said, it's one person out of hundreds.

Like I get it, there's probably a better outlet for this, but he'll almost definitely just scrub out and be there for the publicity so whatever.

I do think that he should have just been invited to a super league or invitational draft or something similar, but I'm not worried about the sanctity of The Grind being diminished.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GeneX posted:

If the complaint is that he's being awarded a spot without putting in some arbitrary amount of grinding: sure. He is!

Play hearthstone and attract a four-digit audience and maybe you too can win a free invite to a 1-5 drop

It's sadly (for MTG) way more than 4. He will have more viewers for his daily stream than the PT finals will get.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I mean, I don't know if this means anything, but I am pretty sure amaz is in the top 5 for modo draft trophies for this season. I would think he knows what he is doing at least in limited.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

I mean, I don't know if this means anything, but I am pretty sure amaz is in the top 5 for modo draft trophies for this season. I would think he knows what he is doing at least in limited.

He was also very very good at drafting Eternal.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GeneX posted:

!!!!!!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

"Magic players, we will invite the pope for the next pro-tour, clearly for promotional reasons! surely you will enjoy defeating the leader of the catholic church in a children card game!"
"You are ruining the prestige of the pro-tour!"

I don't know if I find funnier this idea or Turtenwald comparing the PT to loving Olympics.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 25, 2017

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'd 2-0 the pope and not shake his hand.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I want to watch PGO play against the Pope, Billy Graham, and Fred Phelps.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'd 2-0 the pope and not shake his hand.

that's probably a good idea, you don't know where that hand's been

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YggdrasilTM posted:

I don't know if I find funnier this idea or Turtenwald comparing the PT to loving Olympics.

If Owen was cultured and had played Persona 5, he'd know the Olympics has a history of changing events around so they could invite celebrity competitors.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

ShaneB posted:

It's sadly (for MTG) way more than 4. He will have more viewers for his daily stream than the PT finals will get.

Here's a page that estimates this guy gains 10k followers and gets 2 million views per month

https://socialblade.com/twitch/user/amazhs

I didn't realize he also played magic or was any good at it as Sickening had mentioned, but this is one of the most popular twitch streamers and is a massive pull for them.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If the Pro Tour wasn't about promotion, marketing, or awareness there'd be no coverage, advertising, or prizing. It would be an FNM you need to qualify for.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

I watched him draft and play the current en vogue G/B flayer snake list. He's got drafting down, he's also a pretty good player for someone switching between games, he definitely won't embarrass himself even if he's obviously not going to be a favorite to win. I'm sure he's been playing magic for a while.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the outrage if he were to win would be delicious to see

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

He might be getting some good tips soon, anyway.

https://twitter.com/G3RRYT/status/867847968543690754

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
SCAMaz has NO BUSINESS Being On The Pro Tour
https://twitter.com/Amaz/status/867839308090101761

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
It's a win for everyone because Amaz I'm sure doesn't want his fortunes tied entirely to one game, and Magic could use the exposure because it's not anywhere near as popular as Hearthstone. Just lol at anyone who cares about the 'sanctity' of a pro tour, what a goddamn joke.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 26, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

the outrage if he were to win would be delicious to see

Literally no one would be stupid enough to complain if Amaz has a good record. The only viable complaint would be that Amaz isn't skilled enough to "earn" his invite, and won't be a useful marketing tool because he'll just scrub out, thereby not being featured and having the invite be pointless.

Amaz on GerryT's team might just end up with Amaz getting a top 16 finish. Genesis put GerryT into the top eight and three others had an 11-5 record!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I hope Amaz wins the whole thing. Grinding for the invite is insane, and a promotional player winning it would show solidly that it's a bad system for choosing who should play on the "pro" level.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Star Man posted:

I remember Melissa DeTora getting a special invite to Pro Tour Gatecrash and people lost their loving minds.

Example: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/25481_Congratulations-Youre-Exempt.html

And then she top-8'd it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

PJOmega posted:

I hope Amaz wins the whole thing. Grinding for the invite is insane, and a promotional player winning it would show solidly that it's a bad system for choosing who should play on the "pro" level.

I should get an invite. I have a T-shirt and I'm well liked!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

I should get an invite. I have a T-shirt and I'm well liked!

Get hustling. If you can pull 4k viewers for an MTGO stream I'd consider that pro quality.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Get hustling. If you can pull 4k viewers for an MTGO stream I'd consider that pro quality.

it'd be easier to top 8 a grand prix

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I was very annoyed when Deion Sanders tried out for the Raiders and got a spot on the starting lineup without having ground his way up in high school and college football like I did and furthermore

Edit: poo poo I think it was Bo Jackson that was baseball first and football second, I think Deion was the other way around

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 26, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Molybdenum posted:

I was very annoyed when Deion Sanders tried out for the Raiders and got a spot on the starting lineup without having ground his way up in high school and college football like I did and furthermore

Let's at least come up with analogies that make sense.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Sickening posted:

Let's at least come up with analogies that make sense.

https://youtu.be/Yb-sCNfE0bM

1:10

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

Edit: poo poo I think it was Bo Jackson that was baseball first and football second, I think Deion was the other way around

Bo Jackson won the Hiesman trophy in college football at Auburn and was the overall first pick in the NFL draft.

He was an all-star in both the NFL and MLB.

Deion was awesome in college amd NFL football and decent at baseball.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Also I hope this Amaz guy wins the PT, it would be great. What would really make it great would be if he bumped a pro from top 8 not going to a draw with them in the last round, the whining would be amazing.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

TwistedNails posted:

Also I hope this Amaz guy wins the PT, it would be great. What would really make it great would be if he bumped a pro from top 8 not going to a draw with them in the last round, the whining would be amazing.

What if said bump caused said pro to miss out on Gold or Plat for the year... :allears:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lawnie posted:

Actually a barely-competent magic player can almost top 8 the biggest vintage tournament ever. I know, I've done it :smugdog:

FTFY

mcmagic posted:

If true that is bullshit. Getting on the PT is loving hard and shouldn't be given away.

Lol I hope he no-sirs every draw and wins the whole thing.

Star Man posted:

Again, people lost their loving minds when Melissa DeTora, a regular in the professional Magic scene, got a special invite to Pro Tour Gatecrash.

Likely because she's a woman. If it had been someone like Mike Flores, then the only people upset about would would have been from this forum and a few outliers.

Didn't she get that because she dropped out to work for WotC?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Literally no one would be stupid enough to complain if Amaz has a good record.

haha you forgot mcmagic posts here

or that reddit exists

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They should ban Ulamog. Just so that people have to make the choice of whether the best deck in the format will play Kozilek, the Great Distortion or Sandwurm Convergence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/867902156833271808

I haven't seen anyone claim this, on twitter or here. Am I missing something?

Is it a common thing on Reddit maybe? Or they're just preemptively addressing it because it's come up a lot before?