Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6pa6ul/ex_boyfriend_drained_our_mutual_account_the_day/

Ex boyfriend drained our mutual account the day we broke up. I was financially dependent on him for the past 2 years due to illness, and he's left me with nothing with less than a day's notice. posted:

I have about $30 in cash to my name. I've called some charities that are willing to help me with bills, but I have after that $30 is gone, it's gone. I don't know how to pay for things like gas, phone, etc. I do have food, fortunately, and I'm applying for food stamps today. I don't know how to get through this month. Currently I am waiting for my disability application to be processed, but that takes time. How do I pull myself out of this mess? Thank you all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6p6vul/moving_to_la/

Moving to L.A. posted:

I'm a European citizen living in Mexico and I want to move to LA next year, I need help figuring out the cost of living in LA, I already now how much the tickets will cost , but I need to know how much living accommodations will cost. I would also love to know what papers I'd need in order to move to the US.
PS: I'm 17
Edit: Maybe I'll stay in Mexico

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
oh gosh that edit

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

KingSlime posted:

oh gosh that edit

I believe I've captured the exact moment where the dream dies:

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 24, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

is that really bad with money or their boyfriend just a shithead

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
it's really hard for me to judge people with any sort of long-term or chronic illness in the US

we are a supremely hosed up nation in that regard, even well-off individuals are a single semi-serious illness or catastrophe away from becoming a dirty poor

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1cna7g/i_have_no_idea_what_im_doing/

I have no idea what I'm doing. posted:

Here's the thing. I'm a 24 year old male that has no idea what I'm doing.
When I was 18ish, I was in a car accident and didn't have health insurance and I'm not sure if the drivers health insurance covered me etc. I do know that in total it was around $12k in hospital bills and my mom "took care" of it. Knowing my mom (has file bankruptcy 2 times, that I'm aware of) it didn't get taken care of. I'm not sure how to check. I was shipped to the hospital in an ambulance etc and I don't know where to begin with that.
Secondly, I attended Devry college online 2 seperate times and I'm not sure where/when/who I'm supposed to pay for that, nor do I know who to talk to in order to figure it out. Student finance has stated that I do not owe a balance but I'm not sure how I don't.
I also have an overdrawn bank account somewhere from when I was much younger that I can't remember who it was through.
Also I was on unemployment for a period of time, and I got a letter stating that I was on unemployment fraudulently? How do I go about fixing all that?
I don't have any documents to work with as I lost most of them when I moved from my mothers house. (She threw them all away, :/ )
I currently don't have any open bank accounts.
I've now managed to lock myself out of the Social Security site and Annualcreditreport.com. Apparently on the SS site, their information is different than what I have. And I can't pass the verification tests on the credit sites because I don't know how to answer any of the verification questions because I don't know the answer to them.
I need help. Badly. I want to set all this straight but I really don't know how. I don't want to end up like my mother.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Time is a flat circle, we all end up like our mothers

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

time for this guy to just fake his own death and start a new identity

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

TheFlyingLlama posted:

pretty sure he only did that during spring training down in florida. During the regular season he has a real house he lives in iirc

EDIT: no, apparently he lives in the Van at all times other than the regular season.

poo poo I hope he did not skimp on the mattress and overall sleeping quarters because if not that is Bad With Pitching Arm

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Teeter posted:

I believe I've captured the exact moment where the dream dies:

I prefer when someone says "$1000 for a studio" and they said "gently caress that's expensive." Good luck if they decide to start their theater career in London.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Please no

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

All of this sucks, but why didn't she apply for disability already if she's been unable to work for 2 years and 100% dependent on her boyfriend? Starting now is going to take forever if she's really disabled.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Krispy Kareem posted:

All of this sucks, but why didn't she apply for disability already if she's been unable to work for 2 years and 100% dependent on her boyfriend? Starting now is going to take forever if she's really disabled.

On a scale of "capable of working but choosing not to" to "quadriplegia with traumatic brain injury" how disabled do you think this individual probably is?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Whoa whoa whoa. Just because TB is on probation doesn't mean you can say racist things like that.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Quoting John Smith.

Arguing about the merits of manga/anime.

Self-posting about BMWness.

I am very disappointed in this thread. :whitewater:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

potatoducks posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Just because TB is on probation doesn't mean you can say racist things like that.

More ablest than racist. I need to get my buddy John Smith in here to back me up.

And because TB is gone, I can post graphical data showing that since the great recession, more and more Americans are considering themselves "disabled" and electing not to participate in the labor force.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNU05074597

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

More ablest than racist. I need to get my buddy John Smith in here to back me up.

And because TB is gone, I can post graphical data showing that since the time of shedding and cold rocks, more and more Americans are considering themselves "disabled" and electing not to participate in the labor force.

One weird trick to lower unemployment! Economists hate this!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingSlime posted:

oh gosh that edit

Bad With Money: Edit: Maybe I'll stay in Mexico

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Nobody in my personal or professional life has made any new BWM stories for me (although, I went to visit my Aunt and Uncle that had a 10k+ home air filtration system installed to filter out chemtrails and they have a shelf labelled "Colloidals" in their bathroom that has about 20 tubes of Colloidal Silver Cream and Colloidal Oatmeal).

/r/personalfinance just needs a bot that autoposts "DO NOT COSIGN OR TAKE OUT A CREDIT CARD FOR YOUR UNEMPLOYED FAMILY" on every post.

quote:

Loan/credit card I'd take out in my name for my brother: what should I know?

My brother's credit suffered a couple of years ago as a result of being unemployed for some time and falling behind on bills due to lack of employment. This was attributed to being laid off and landing only temporary jobs during that time. For about the last year and a half or so he's had a stable job but his credit score hasn't recovered well.

He's trying to start a business and has exhausted a lot of his own money on property renovation and other business-related expenses. Again, his credit score still isn't all that good. Because of this, he's come to me to ask me if I could get a new credit card with a good enough credit line (probably around $10,000 if not more) to cover remaining expenses. I'm willing to help my brother out, but I also want to gain as much information as possible about a situation like this because if I am going to help him out, I'd like not to understand the repercussions.

Here's what I'd like to know:

In such a case, would it be better to get a new credit card/line or take out a loan?
Can my brother really not do this himself even with him having somewhat bad credit?
If some arrangement is setup using my name, is it possible for him to be held responsible in case of not making timely payments so that my credit score doesn't suffer or some agency doesn't come after me for not making timely payments?
Are there any other repercussions that I might incur that I'm not addressing here?

Also, a title only post.

quote:

When calculating your net worth, do you factor in costs of terminating contacts (satellite, cable, leases etc) as a liability?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 24, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, a title only post.

Now that's attention to detail.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Nobody in my personal or professional life has made any new BWM stories for me (although, I went to visit my Aunt and Uncle that had a 10k+ home air filtration system installed to filter out chemtrails and they have a shelf labelled "Colloidals" in their bathroom that has about 20 tubes of Colloidal Silver Cream and Colloidal Oatmeal).

/r/personalfinance just needs a bot that autoposts "DO NOT COSIGN OR TAKE OUT A CREDIT CARD FOR YOUR UNEMPLOYED FAMILY" on every post.

Also, a title only post.

I know it's a typo but:

Bad With Money: I am going to help him out, I'd like not to understand the repercussions.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Also, a title only post.

My baby girl just learned how to smile yet that title is the most adorable thing I've seen all day.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The original PF post got deleted, but the legaladvice thread is still up:

Dad made a stupid mistake (x-posted to personal Finance) (self.legaladvice)

quote:

No one in this story will come off well, just as a warning.

My dad is very stubborn and opinionated, but he's a good guy at heart. He and my oldest sister [F30] have been at loggerheads basically from the time she was born.

Things started getting really bad when oldest sister (OS) went off to college. My parents wanted her to stay in state so she could remain close to the family. She went way out of state (like, way WAY Out). I was only nine, buy I remember a lot of screaming, cursing, etc. My mom says my dad felt rejected by her and hasn't gotten over it. I do know my dad only went up to visit for her graduation.

Then of course, she had to go to law school. I love my sister , but ever since she graduated it's like you can't have a normal conversation. My dad is real interested in politics, and she would be little him, make him feel dumb etc. I'm not saying she should have let my dad win but just don't be condescending. The education talk got too much. And of course dad didn't take too well to this.

The last straw was two years ago. She brought home someone my parents could never except. I think she did it just to piss them off, and boy howdy did she succeed! I've never in all my 21 years seen my dad that mad.

So, to teach her a lesson. My dad took out a credit card in her name. My parents are hard working people but they sure don't have the money that a fancy government job does. They spent the money on necessary things (car repairs, vet bills, and helping out my older brother with some bills). Well as you can imaginr, the bills added up quicklu.

Which brings us to today. Some how, my sister has found out. Instead of talking this through (like a NORMAL person) she has gone and filed a police report. The police came by to talk to my dad but he wasnt home.

I'm so scared. He is the main bread winner for me, my mom, and he helps out my older brother to. My mom says I shouldn't worry and they'll just explain everything. I know my dad made a stupid mistake but I don't think he should go to jail at 53. What can I do to solve this?
Committing identity theft & credit card fraud against a lawyer: Probably BWM.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My dad committed identity theft to teach her a lesson,

How much you wanna bet dad's a racist and that's why he couldn't accept the boyfriend too

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
that one's in the gbs r/relationships thread too

tbh prolly troll

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I love how defrauding your child out of thousands of dollars is a "mistake".

Not premeditated theft.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
assuming it's real, I love the narrative there

"my sister treats us like we are piece of human garbage, it's not right and it has lead to a lot of conflict"

*proceeds to explain a situation that clearly paints the dad as a horrible piece of human garbage*

"fuckin education n poo poo, teaching self-respect and assertiveness, its tearin' Ma and Pa to pieces!"

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 24, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Instead of talking this through (like a NORMAL person)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
gently caress the rural US

*assuming this is rea-actually nah, i stand by what I said

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'd believe it only because my parents took out credit cards in my name, maxed them out, then moved to Texas. This was after I politely refused their request to borrow money for maybe the dozenth time before I turned 20. I never brought home some black people to intentionally piss them off though, I loving wish I would have thought of that.

bwm: your lovely parents probably know your ssn

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Teeter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKPa3uVddbU

Daniel Norris is a millionaire MLB pitcher who lives in a van outside of their training facilities.

"Just because the money's there, doesn't mean you need to have nicer things than you used to have."

GWM wisdom

Oh hey that's in Dunedin, I could go scope out his van next time spring training comes around, see if he does indeed have all the dank weeds.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

And because TB is gone, I can post graphical data showing that since the great recession, more and more Americans are considering themselves "disabled" and electing not to participate in the labor force.

You got any datasets that start before 2008 on that one, it's kinda a suspicious place to cut the chart off...

e: Also the social security administration shows a decrease in disability payments over the same period, though that could be more people being denied rather than less people applying

e2: No applications also decreased during that period too, peaking in 2009/2010 and going down since: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibStat.html

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 24, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate all the Oreos posted:

You got any datasets that start before 2008 on that one, it's kinda a suspicious place to cut the chart off...

e: Also the social security administration shows a decrease in disability payments over the same period, though that could be more people being denied rather than less people applying

e2: No applications also decreased during that period too, peaking in 2009/2010 and going down since: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibStat.html

It's weird how all the claims that people are hanging out on disability instead of getting iobs by choice turn out to be total bullshit

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Teeter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKPa3uVddbU

Daniel Norris is a millionaire MLB pitcher who lives in a van outside of their training facilities.

"Just because the money's there, doesn't mean you need to have nicer things than you used to have."

GWM wisdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TieG2Z3ZMOU
There's a Diamondbacks pitcher that lives in a (quite nice) RV during the season, so he can go fishing.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/diamondbacks-pitcher-andrew-chafin-tries-to-sell-his-truck-micd-up-mlb-video
He also took the opportunity while he had a microphone during a game yesterday to advertise his truck for sale

quote:

“If anybody’s interested in a truck, I’ve got a 2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali with a fully built twin turbo. With a fully built Allison transmission for sale. Just shoot me a tweet if you are interested … Please put that on there for me. I’m really trying to sell this truck.”

That guy sounds really rad and like he would be fun to hang out with.

quote:

“He’s got his camper, his truck and his boat,” pitcher Josh Collmenter said. “He’s like a walking country song.”

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Applications peaked but "in current payment status" continued to go up through 2014 and has dropped ~1.6% since.

Here's a cool chart view from the SS page: https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibGraphs.html#2

This paper from an MIT economist and published by NBER looks like a good read: http://www.nber.org/papers/w17697.pdf

EDIT: Maybe a relevant paragraph, when the author is talking about having employers pay more if more of their employees make SSI claims:

quote:

A third question is whether the Burkhauser-Daly proposal adequately insulates employers from
worker moral hazard in filing disability claims. Much evidence shows that workers are dispropor-
tionately likely to apply for SSDI benefits when they involuntarily lose work—even if their job loss
is unrelated to their health. For example, Black, Daniel and Sanders (2002) providing striking evi-
dence that disability applications from the Appalachian coal mining regions of the U.S. spike when
energy prices fall. Since it is unlikely that energy prices directly affect disability, this evidence high-
lights that when firms engage in layoffs—e.g., by closing mines—it greatly increases the odds that
their (former) workers seek and ultimately obtain SSDI benefits. This evidence is relevant for the
Burkhauser and Daly proposal because it underscores that experience rating the SSDI payroll tax
would in effect increase the degree of experience rating in the UI system. Since a firm’s SSDI payroll
taxes would rise when workers who were terminated for reasons unrelated to disability subsequently
sought SSDI benefits, firms engaging in layoffs would have to anticipate that their UI costs would
rise in the short term as workers sought UI benefits and their SSDI costs would rise over the longer
term as a subset of workers sought SSDI benefits

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 24, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KingSlime posted:

assuming it's real, I love the narrative there

"my sister treats us like we are piece of human garbage, it's not right and it has lead to a lot of conflict"

*proceeds to explain a situation that clearly paints the dad as a horrible piece of human garbage*

"fuckin education n poo poo, teaching self-respect and assertiveness, its tearin' Ma and Pa to pieces!"

Dyingruraltowns.txt

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

On a scale of "capable of working but choosing not to" to "quadriplegia with traumatic brain injury" how disabled do you think this individual probably is?

Window licker, but by choice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It's like Juicero, but for clothes

https://foldimate.com/

Do you want to spend $850 on a robot to make folding shirts about 15% faster?

If you had a race between this robot and someone who's worked at Gap for 3 months, the Gap person is going to win every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Honestly though, if I could buy a fully automated washer -> dryer -> folder combo that just meant that I dumped poo poo in the washer and pulled out a folded stack of clean dry clothes I would pay several thousand dollars for it.

Assuming it's reliable and fully automated, I don't care if it takes 12 hours.

But that's not it.