Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you know, it just occurred to me that i have no idea what i was supposed to be learning in computer class, all through high school.

i honestly don't even remember there being a teacher present, or ever doing an assignment. just remember getting dumped into a giant room full of boxy computers with like 30 other kids, and playing slicks.exe, scorched earth, and wolfenstein for the whole period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Virtual Russian posted:

I almost failed, can't code.

oh wow, i didn't know elon posted here

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

in middle school i built a dungeon crawler game with items, map, and full-color enemy art in BASIC and that's probably the best computer touching i'll ever do

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mola Yam posted:

you know, it just occurred to me that i have no idea what i was supposed to be learning in computer class, all through high school.

i honestly don't even remember there being a teacher present, or ever doing an assignment. just remember getting dumped into a giant room full of boxy computers with like 30 other kids, and playing slicks.exe, scorched earth, and wolfenstein for the whole period.

In middle school we learned typing and BASIC (also we had to spend half of our typing time on electric typerwriters).

In highschool we did actual programming in Turbo Pascal, but also spent more than our fair share of time playing Scorched Earth. No Wolfenstein though, the high school's computers were pretty weak (we did play it on the middle school computers though).

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
wolfenstein runs fine on any hardware, just hit minus a bunch of times and lean in real close to the monitor

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
when I was in school we loaded punchcards into mainframe by hand and it wasn't nice punchcards either, they were really bad paper.

This was in 2016 we were just really poor

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mola Yam posted:

from middle school I remember learning typing, the basic components of computers, and MS office

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Three olives guffawing that public schools don’t even teach kids to fly small planes anymore

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i had a programming class in high school that shockingly taught us c++ (in 2002!)

but yeah i've never heard of this "everyone started getting laptops" business. hell, there was a story a few years ago about some rich school giving their student body ipads and how that was a big rear end deal

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
In a well funded district in the mid-2000s, laptops came in a big cart. I guess it was easier than computer labs.

The computer lab taught technical things, like Photoshop and yearbook creation. The ones in the TV lab had editing software.

Golden Bee has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Apr 28, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

from middle school I remember learning typing, the basic components of computers, and MS office

Yeah, and playing Drug Wars

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
While you guys were talking about computer class, I somehow missed that Musk’s lawyers had the balls to try and claim his public statements could be deepfaked so what he actually says doesn’t matter.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

CubanMissile posted:

While you guys were talking about computer class, I somehow missed that Musk’s lawyers had the balls to try and claim his public statements could be deepfaked so what he actually says doesn’t matter.

It sounds like the kind of defense you'd give if you were confident you'd sufficiently bribed the judge

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Lobe posted:

It sounds like the kind of defense you'd give if you were confident you'd sufficiently bribed the judge

And in true Musk-ian fashion, he apparently didn't bribe the judge beforehand. His sudden amnesia and then handwaving any statements made as being deepfakes is another in a long, long line of rakes he keeps stepping on:

Clicky!

quote:

A California state judge issued a tentative order requiring Tesla Inc. Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk to give a deposition in a lawsuit blaming Autopilot for a fatal crash in 2018.

Tesla’s argument for why Musk shouldn’t be required to testify is “deeply troubling to the court,” Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Evette D. Pennypacker said in the order.

The electric-car maker argued that it couldn’t vouch for the authenticity of videotaped interviews in which Musk touted the company’s driver-assistance technology, saying it’s possible some of them were digitally altered.

“Their position is that because Mr. Musk is famous and might be more of a target for deep fakes, his public statements are immune,” the judge wrote. “In other words, Mr. Musk, and others in his position, can simply say whatever they like in the public domain, then hide behind the potential for their recorded statements being a deep fake to avoid taking ownership of what they did actually say and do.”

Tesla faces multiple lawsuits and federal investigations over whether its assisted driving feature is defective. Bloomberg News reported in October that federal prosecutors and securities regulators were probing whether the company made misleading statements about its vehicles’ automated-driving capabilities.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/keithjohnstack/status/1651291369468461056?t=PL6TGJzL_ommrDnhUCmGPQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/isukatsmsh/status/1651308624520642581?t=aKNArmelSjsUYrpIRnWKiA&s=19

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1599205091294052352

thank u for the piss chemical ad sir

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Mola Yam posted:

i made the turtle draw a penis

:nice:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

what you are witnessing now is elon at the height of his power

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

And in true Musk-ian fashion, he apparently didn't bribe the judge beforehand. His sudden amnesia and then handwaving any statements made as being deepfakes is another in a long, long line of rakes he keeps stepping on:

Clicky!

I mean isn't his deposition just going to be "I can't recall" x200 and then the defense will have worked?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Clocks posted:

I mean isn't his deposition just going to be "I can't recall" x200 and then the defense will have worked?

That's what a non-idiot is supposed to do, yes.
The whole reason musk has to actually appear is because he pissed of the judge by adding "but also that video of me saying the thing I don't recall is probably fake." This is just the judge punishing him and his legal team for being annoying.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/ByeonChansoo/status/1651635311791808529?t=Cfj-ZS4GdNK0e9HC7Z96Mw&s=19

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

aside from how that looks like total dogshit, that guy isn't actually affiliated with tesla so it's weird fanfiction. what in the world?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The cyber truck looks like absolute dogshit. I've never seen a car so ugly in my life.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Edsel Ford only wished he was so bad at designing cars

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Love the 6 inch windows

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

load bearing simply

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

crepeface posted:

oh wow, i didn't know elon posted here

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

BattleMaster posted:

that guy isn't actually affiliated with tesla so it's weird fanfiction

it's very wild there are so many of these weird little guys

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

once they're crankin out those cybertrucks they can just do this, voila! boom bop

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I think they're all displaced Steve Jobs fans. They'd been wandering the lonesome streets of San Francisco looking for their prophet reborn... someone who will sell them dreams and little gizmos and gadgets at 1000% their production cost

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

500k trucks a year. each one with a mandatory twitter blue sub required.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jealous?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

its always felt to me like just garden variety consumerist fandom. people wrapping up their identity in brands, celebrities, and consumer goods

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thinking about how atari hired jobs to make breakout and jobs was so lazy he made wozniak code it and then took the credit and money for it after wozniak finished the game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

what a alpha

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Seats 8 people comfortably

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can't wait for the first run of these where they mix up fender panels for hoods and they use a vise to keep the tailgate closed

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

how do i get into this "new twitter"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

how do i get into this "new twitter"
invite-only. by the time it opens to the public all the luster will be gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Just read that dril is on bluesky, so congrats to them for winning the race to be the new Twitter.