Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Groda posted:

that fully activates the trailer's brakes

The what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

The what now?

Do US trailers not usually have their own brakes?

Here you can only drive max 40 km/h (25 mph) with an unbraked trailer.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

When you take "get in the zone" literally

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Not surprised that it is in Louisville

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Groda posted:

hahahaha let me introduce you to the land of the free to make terrible decisions. Many low end or light duty trailers will have no brakes, even some larger trailers. Once you get into the larger trailers for hauling vehicles and equipment brakes are more common. I've owned up to a 5000lb rated trailer and it had no brakes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Groda posted:

It is not required for any trailer under 3500lb and it's rarely found on that specific class of trailer.
Most every trailer with brakes have a break away system like you have mentioned. Whether it was maintained and works is another story.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Well then. :mildpanic:

May God rest your souls.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Groda posted:

hahaha my state doesn't have any level of mandatory inspections it is a dice roll if any given car has brakes

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Groda posted:

fully activates the trailer's brakes (before shearing off) if the hitch pops off.

That's cute you think trailers have brakes...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Groda posted:

Well then. :mildpanic:

May God rest your souls.

The F350 and f550 wouldn't care anyway.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

cursedshitbox posted:

X-posting from my thread cause it easily belongs here.
The "7.3 reliable" 6.7 Powerstroke ate its 4th turbo in under 100k and almost number 5 in the same day.

I pulled the inlet at the storage yard. the wheel is seized solid. Great it's a poo poo turbo or it's not getting oil. Either way, it needs to go away soon.
The hotside of the turbo got so hot it is now pink.

Driving it a few blocks it lost almost a gallon of oil. It deposited it directly into the dpf. It smokes like all hell after about 15 mins of running. Turbo is clearly getting oil.
We had planned to swap the turbo at a campsite some miles away from Nephi, UT. (Nee-phi otherwise they'll judge you if you ever decide to stop there)
That didn't happen so I picked an open cement lot.

One hour fifteen minutes in, the turbo is out.

Compressor.

Turbine.

3 ish hours total, 4 from driving to driving. DPF was packed to north of 150% designed load. It threw a fit and went into immediate regen, smoking out the town. Some locals liked the sight, I abhorred it.
It also threw the 'wrench' icon to take it in for a stationary regen. I like to think it means it's time to fix the 6.7 again.

60 miles later around 10 am pushing 95F, we decide on lunch.
Pull in, walk around. Puddle. Big Puddle. From what looks to be the hot side. God loving Dammit This Mother loving Truck.
The wrench icon was on the nose.
This was right after I noticed it. It was about 3x as big after lunch.

Guy I bought the turbo from I guess decided to remove the second oil galley plug on the turbo's chra. I didn't bother to check because who does that sorta thing. Well it finished rattling out right as I parked the truck before I let it idle for 5 minutes. This engine has no oil pressure gauge. Just an idiot sender that the pcm reports a boolean on. It does not know oil level but it 'guesses' oil level. The dipstick is worse than useless.

2 quarts down. It almost ate its fifth turbo on the same day I put it in. Put the plug back in and other than the gargantuan mess it made of everything, it was fine.

If you own one of these without a warranty, get loving rid of it asap.
At this point I do not think there is anyway to fix this thing and maintain emissions compliance. It is excruciatingly hard on turbos when loaded. I am unwilling to test this theory.

Sorry you’re having to deal with this… but I have questions:

What’s DPF?
What does it mean to run it at 150% load?
What’s a regen? Same but stationary regen? How do they differ?
What’s an oil galley plug on a turbos chra? If the guy left it out, how did you have one to put in?
A truck like that has no way to measure oil pressure? Seriously?
How is the dipstick worthless? I can’t imagine a more simple technology than “put stick into liquid, pull it out, and check for a mark” so I’m curious to how they hosed it up
In your pics of the turbo compressor and turbine, are there any faults that can be seen? I’m not sure what to look for?

I’m sure you’re super busy, so only give me answers when you have time… or let someone else answer to help me understand.

Good luck!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Diesel Owner is a very odd language.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Groda posted:

US trailers: Trailer hitch on a ball mount (usually), with chains to keep the trailer attached to the vehicle if the hitch pops off.

EU trailers: Trailer hitch on a ball mount (usually), with a panic line that fully activates the trailer's brakes (before shearing off) if the hitch pops off.

I can't see why the US version wouldn't just leave you with an uncontrollable car because of the swinging trailer (if the safety chains are under tension) or an uncontrollable car because the trailer's rammed up against the back of your vehicle (if the safety chains are under "compression"). In the EU version, you at least separate the dangerous part of the system from the passengers.

It doesn't seem like keeping the trailer from separating should be its own goal -- either way you've got a bunch of unexpected objects standing still in the middle of traffic, in the end.

Most smaller trailers (under like 2000lbs loaded) in the US don't have trailer brakes. Bigger ones may not have working brakes...
The tether to lock brakes is great, unless it's corroded, the battery is dead, etc.

If you have your safety chains adjusted correctly, they work fine and don't do anything crazy. I had the coupler fail on an excavator trailer once and since my chains were adjusted correctly I was able to pull safely over to the side of the road with it. much better outcome than an excavator careening into someone's house with locked brakes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

namlosh posted:

Sorry you’re having to deal with this… but I have questions:

What’s DPF?
What does it mean to run it at 150% load?
What’s a regen? Same but stationary regen? How do they differ?
What’s an oil galley plug on a turbos chra? If the guy left it out, how did you have one to put in?
A truck like that has no way to measure oil pressure? Seriously?
How is the dipstick worthless? I can’t imagine a more simple technology than “put stick into liquid, pull it out, and check for a mark” so I’m curious to how they hosed it up
In your pics of the turbo compressor and turbine, are there any faults that can be seen? I’m not sure what to look for?

I’m sure you’re super busy, so only give me answers when you have time… or let someone else answer to help me understand.

Good luck!

1. Diesel particulate filter. It's a ceramic substrate similar to that of your typical automotive catalyst that is extremely effective at capturing small diesel particulates.
It accumulates and needs to be burnt off occasionally. If it can't be burnt off the DPF is removed and sent in to be burned at high enough temperatures to remove the ash.

2. DPF soot accumulation. 0-100% is allowable. 101-200% is overloaded. 200%+ the truck shuts down.
3. See part of answer 1. The system fires the left bank injectors on the exhaust stroke to raise exhaust gas temperatures. This fuel runs through the turbocharger turbine and into the exhaust system helping burn off the accumulated soot.
4. The part highlighted in whatever color is the CHRA. Center Housing Rotating Assembly. It's the bearing/oil/coolant chunk of the turbocharger. The boxes in white are the oil supply and the oil galley plug. When one isn't used the other is plugged. It backed out but didn't fall off the engine. See the second image.

5. Aboslutely! It just returns a boolean. Think of it like an idiot light but with some software logic. Like so.

(oil volume is calculated, not measured. probably on the rate of change of oil temp vs coolant)
6. The dipstick threads into the engine between the block and flywheel. It's a 4 ish foot long tube that inserts next to the rear main. It's hard to get a reading because of such.
7. The compressor/turbine are visibly off center and there is metal scraping damage visible against the respective housings. Also the turbine/compressor should have a millimeter maybe two of space between the wheels and the housing, not 10mm+

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Diesel Owner is a very odd language.

Owners drool all over their deleted waste motor oil running cummins hooptie. I'm an engineer.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 19, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

chrisgt posted:

If you have your safety chains adjusted correctly, they work fine and don't do anything crazy. I had the coupler fail on an excavator trailer once and since my chains were adjusted correctly I was able to pull safely over to the side of the road with it. much better outcome than an excavator careening into someone's house with locked brakes.

I had the coupler fail on a fairly heavy (definitely not that heavy) trailer once too. The car was completely controllable. I felt the trailer doing something strange, slowed down while my brain figured out what had happened, and then drove slowly to the next side street where I could safely park. It was much safer than having the trailer panic stop in the middle of the road.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You Am I posted:

That looks like a 100 Series Land Cruiser. It'll still run after the fire is put out

Looks like it *was* running (and driving) WHILE on fire.

evil_bunnY posted:

refinish your loving lenses, jesus. That's gotta be SO blinding.

Was gonna. Now they’re getting replaced.

Dang, CSB. I sure wish you could catch a break.

Edit: I hosed up and forgot to lock the hitch on a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer once. It popped off on a bump on the highway, but I had the chains on, so all that happened is it ground a bit on the foldaway tongue jack. Hitched it back up, and continued on.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 19, 2023

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

cursedshitbox posted:

1. Diesel particulate filter. It's a ceramic substrate similar to that of your typical automotive catalyst that is extremely effective at capturing small diesel particulates.
It accumulates and needs to be burnt off occasionally. If it can't be burnt off the DPF is removed and sent in to be burned at high enough temperatures to remove the ash.

2. DPF soot accumulation. 0-100% is allowable. 101-200% is overloaded. 200%+ the truck shuts down.
3. See part of answer 1. The system fires the left bank injectors on the exhaust stroke to raise exhaust gas temperatures. This fuel runs through the turbocharger turbine and into the exhaust system helping burn off the accumulated soot.
4. The part highlighted in whatever color is the CHRA. Center Housing Rotating Assembly. It's the bearing/oil/coolant chunk of the turbocharger. The boxes in white are the oil supply and the oil galley plug. When one isn't used the other is plugged. It backed out but didn't fall off the engine. See the second image.

5. Aboslutely! It just returns a boolean. Think of it like an idiot light but with some software logic. Like so.

(oil volume is calculated, not measured. probably on the rate of change of oil temp vs coolant)
6. The dipstick threads into the engine between the block and flywheel. It's a 4 ish foot long tube that inserts next to the rear main. It's hard to get a reading because of such.
7. The compressor/turbine are visibly off center and there is metal scraping damage visible against the respective housings. Also the turbine/compressor should have a millimeter maybe two of space between the wheels and the housing, not 10mm+

This is a better explanation than I could have ever hoped for… thx man!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Almost forgot.
Aren't radiator caps supposed to be one piece?

Why the hell would you make something like that plastic, Subaru? It's under constant pressure *and* heat cycled...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Groda posted:

In Finland everyone drives what speed they like with unbraked trailers. I think maybe the law says 80kph? If it doesn't then nobody cares, even the cops.

e: looked it up and it's 100kph, unbraked trailers that take max 825kg. Don't think you can load more before going to braked.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 19, 2023

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Groda posted:

That's absolutely not standard in Europe. I've never dealt with a trailer with brakes* since those are only required on trailers from 750kg and up and they also require a special license to operate. Incidentally the most common trailer type is a light trailer that you can tow with a regular license rated for 750kg and obviously no brakes, or a safety line.

*technically false but we're literally talking "helped load one during a few summer jobs as a lawnmower" and honestly I wouldn't have even known if it wasn't for the obvious handbrake that wasn't used or the safety chain that mostly wasn't used

e: Oh yeah it's 825kg or something in actuality, but it's a moot point since trailers are typically rated 750kg since the overall combination can't go over 3500kg in capacity which rules out many cars and you'd need the extra trailer license.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ruflux posted:

That's absolutely not standard in Europe. I've never dealt with a trailer with brakes* since those are only required on trailers from 750kg and up and they also require a special license to operate. Incidentally the most common trailer type is a light trailer that you can tow with a regular license rated for 750kg and obviously no brakes, or a safety line.

*technically false but we're literally talking "helped load one during a few summer jobs as a lawnmower" and honestly I wouldn't have even known if it wasn't for the obvious handbrake that wasn't used or the safety chain that mostly wasn't used

e: Oh yeah it's 825kg or something in actuality, but it's a moot point since trailers are typically rated 750kg since the overall combination can't go over 3500kg in capacity which rules out many cars and you'd need the extra trailer license.

750kg or half your empty net weight before requiring brakes in Italy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Groda posted:

I can't see why the US version wouldn't just leave you with an uncontrollable car because of the swinging trailer (if the safety chains are under tension) or an uncontrollable car because the trailer's rammed up against the back of your vehicle (if the safety chains are under "compression"). In the EU version, you at least separate the dangerous part of the system from the passengers.
If you have the safety chains installed and adjusted properly they will catch the tongue of the trailer before it hits the ground, keeping it pointed more or less straight and preventing it from catching on any edge it might have otherwise encountered on the road that could cause it to veer in any possible direction or flip over.

Yes if you have an unbraked trailer and slow down quickly it's going to rear-end your tow vehicle. Better that than hitting something else that's not yours.

quote:

It doesn't seem like keeping the trailer from separating should be its own goal -- either way you've got a bunch of unexpected objects standing still in the middle of traffic, in the end.
https://www.ktalnews.com/news/top-stories/trailer-comes-unhitches-impact-kills-driver-of-oncoming-car/
https://abc11.com/fayetteville-crash-trailer-bus-fatal/12196407/
https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/crime/2011/04/17/law-disorder-sod-trailer-gets-loose-kills-pedestrian/15907002007/

Unexpected objects standing still are a lot better than unexpected objects flying uncontrolled in to oncoming traffic or pedestrian areas. It's better for everyone else to have the entire assembly crash as one than to save your vehicle while your trailer goes flying off to wherever.

Also it's not like a trailer that gets loose without chains won't also rear end your tow vehicle...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeutgzxEd4

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 19, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Groda posted:

Where do you live? Here in Sweden it's 80km/h with an unbraked trailer as long as its total weight is < 750kg.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Trailer brake sounds like something expensive I'd have to add to the trailer that my buddy made out of welded steel and wood planks.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

US doesn't give no fucks

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

No. 6 posted:

US doesn't give no fucks

The price of freedom baby.

The price of freedom.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Looks like it *was* running (and driving) WHILE on fire.

No way it was still running, that fire would have melted all the wiring and fuel lines. The only reason the headlights were still on is probably because most of the harness was melted together at that point.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

Why the hell would you make something like that plastic, Subaru? It's under constant pressure *and* heat cycled...

That deep, knowing chuckling you hear is from the GM production engineer that decided they’d make LT1 Caprice radiators with plastic end tanks bonded to aluminum tubes and fins.

Oh ya, and it used a fully-pressurized cooling system, including the puke tank. Lotta people learn that one the unpleasant way.

And the water pump weep hole is strategically located to drain directly into the optical distributor when the water pump seal begins to leak.

It’s like BMW designed the Gen II SBC cooling system.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MrYenko posted:

That deep, knowing chuckling you hear is from the GM production engineer that decided they’d make LT1 Caprice radiators with plastic end tanks bonded to aluminum tubes and fins.

Oh ya, and it used a fully-pressurized cooling system, including the puke tank. Lotta people learn that one the unpleasant way.

And the water pump weep hole is strategically located to drain directly into the optical distributor when the water pump seal begins to leak.

What surprised me was how much of a PITA it was to replace the water pump given the type of engine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GM's been using that kind of cooling system since before the LT1 Caprice.

And they're still using it, AFAIK, except now with further things that can break - my Saturns had coolant level sensors in the surge tank. Dexshit gums they up and they eventually think you're always low on coolant, the fix is replacing that %#$@! tank.

The small turbo motors (the 1.4 in the Cruze and Sonic for sure, possibly Malibu as well?) use a plastic thermostat housing / inlet with a captive thermostat. :psyduck: The thermostat is held in by 2 plastic tabs that eventually snap - when it lets go, the engine stops warming up. Pull the thermostat housing, the tabs fall out and you go "huh?".

This loving water outlet/distribution block always starts leaking around the same time too. Plastic. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE loving PLASTIC

ZZP makes an aluminum replacement for the outlet and the valve cover (also plastic). You don't dare go to the aluminum valve cover without replacing pretty much the entire PCV system though, unless you want it pissing oil from everywhere (including the turbo).

Colostomy Bag posted:

What surprised me was how much of a PITA it was to replace the water pump given the type of engine.

And how the water pump takes out the ignition system when it leaks on the LT1 powered versions. loving Optispark..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 21, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
they make them plastic cause they're cheaper to build and you end up having to buy a bunch of replacements so they make even more money on a part that should just work.

under capitalism nothing about this statement is a negative thing even though it's an obvious scam.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Polymer pieces are fine in principle, plastics can be incredibly durable and handle the water pressure and heat cycling just fine. I just think they use cheaper quality plastics to save pennies and build planned obsolescence into their engines

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

randomidiot posted:

No way it was still running, that fire would have melted all the wiring and fuel lines. The only reason the headlights were still on is probably because most of the harness was melted together at that point.

The horn was sounding, and there's a at least 50% chance it's a diesel and literally needs no power to run.
You tell me how it went that far, that slowly, over curbs and poo poo, without idling in first.

MrYenko posted:

<laughs in Ford Crown Victoria>

https://i.imgur.com/kaNOa9p.mp4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

spookykid posted:

One of the weirdest jobs I've ever worked was "When #2 HF radio keyed, aircraft yaws hard left" which... is loving terrifying. What was happening was someone had worked replacing wiring for the yaw trim tab, and they routed the unshielded wiring too close to the RF line for the #2 HF radio. Every time the radio would be keyed, 300w+ of RF was inducing a voltage in the trim wiring and basically going "full left yaw NOW". In the tech data there's a big warning of "HF LINES MUST KEEP A 9 INCH SEPARATION FROM ALL OTHER WIRING" but it's only stated like that in the HF radio manuals, so any other schmuck who doesn't know any better in another career field has no idea about it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

randomidiot posted:

GM's been using that kind of cooling system since before the LT1 Caprice.

My '66 327 has a pressurized coolant tank, my '95 454 does not.

Oh, GM.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Lol, I used to work with HF systems, HF radio failures are awesome.

One of my coworkers managed to create a light show by accidentally hooking up 240vac to the 28vdc power input for an HF radio. Haven't had too many other thread worthy failures but they don't fail gracefully.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

The horn was sounding, and there's a at least 50% chance it's a diesel and literally needs no power to run.
You tell me how it went that far, that slowly, over curbs and poo poo, without idling in first.

I'll argue most of the harness was melted together (headlights + horn is a very common thing with a burning car until the battery burns up), and any flexible sections of fuel line had long melted - which would have killed the engine.

It slows down considerably before hitting the tree, also after rolling over the curb. Them things are HEAVY, and it appears to be on an incline.

I'd be willing to bet the parking brake failed (from the fire) with it in neutral, but unless someone can dig up a news source or youtube video, it's just a guessing game. I've bump started cars on similar slight inclines with no problem, and they were rolling at least as fast under their own momentum.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 24, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
someone put a yaris badge on their targa lol

also this poo poo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

LifeSunDeath posted: