Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The GIG posted:

Announce a new Parasite Eve but have it be actually good this time.

MARCH HARE: A very merry unbirthday to me

MAD HATTER: To who?

MARCH HARE: To me

MAD HATTER: Oh you!

MARCH HARE: A very merry unbirthday to you

MAD HATTER: Who me?

MARCH HARE: Yes, you!

MAD HATTER: Oh, me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, that game we don't talk about did have a Kingdom Hearts style sequel hook if you played it entirely too much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They should just make a Parasite Eve 3 and open it up with Aya waking up and going "Wow, what a hosed up dream!"

And then she's attacked by Super-Neo Mitocondria Monsters and has to shoot them with a shotgun.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The GIG posted:

Announce a new Parasite Eve but have it be actually good this time.

Who would make it? The game didn't sell particularly well in spite of a lengthy development cycle. The Third Birthday's development staff has been scattered to the four winds

Tabata and many of his close associates are busy with FFXV.

Some of the old programming staff, such as Koji Sugimoto, are working on Schoolgirl Strikers and other games.

Nomura is making drawings of DC Comic characters and Hatsune Miku.

I guess that leaves Toriyama might be busy working on a Mobius type game for mobile platforms.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

We don't want the Third Birthday staff to come back, that's the thing

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

Who would make it? The game didn't sell particularly well in spite of a lengthy development cycle. The Third Birthday's development staff has been scattered to the four winds

Tabata and many of his close associates are busy with FFXV.

Some of the old programming staff, such as Koji Sugimoto, are working on Schoolgirl Strikers and other games.

Nomura is making drawings of DC Comic characters and Hatsune Miku.

I guess that leaves Toriyama might be busy working on a Mobius type game for mobile platforms.

Well they did just say that they are looking to partner up with more developers in their earnings report. Not saying that it makes sense to start developing another PE because there might be other reasons, but if lack of staff is the cornerstone then there are answers for that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ApplesandOranges posted:

Realistically speaking, is X/X-2 HD worth getting if you already have both games on the PS2? Are 'enhanced' graphics, remastered soundtrack and X-2's monster arena worth the price?

X-2 has two new dresspheres and the Monster Arena is completely bonkers broken. By the end of Chapter Two I had something like 400k Gil, 6 Megalixers, 90+ X Potions, Adamantite, Minerva's Plate, and the Mascot Dressphere. All from a Tonberry, a Chocobo, and a Goon.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Sunning posted:

The Third Birthday's development staff has been scattered to the four winds

Good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

We don't want the Third Birthday staff to come back, that's the thing

This, exactly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Get Tri-Ace to do it. Rip off Resonance of Fate's combat system with magic powers and a bit more variety.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Joke option have Platinum handle the Parasite Eve series :getin:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think I might have some sort of brain damage, as I actually like playing blitzball. I just won the storyline tournament against the Luca Goers 5-1. Three normal goals by Tidus, a Jecht Shot by Tidus, and a Venom shot after Wakka came in.

Triple Triad was my favorite part of FF8 as well.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

blitzball owns pretty hard

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skeezy posted:

Joke option have Platinum handle the Parasite Eve series :getin:

Y'know it would be a cool game, but at the same time I dunno if Platinum can capture that same creepy atmosphere that PE1 has (can't speak for PE2). The Dead Rising team, maybe :v:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

I think I might have some sort of brain damage, as I actually like playing blitzball. I just won the storyline tournament against the Luca Goers 5-1. Three normal goals by Tidus, a Jecht Shot by Tidus, and a Venom shot after Wakka came in.

Triple Triad was my favorite part of FF8 as well.

The problem with Blitzball is that other than the very first match, it's ridiculously easy. If you recruit a couple of decent players you end up winning every match like 8-0

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

The problem with Blitzball is that other than the very first match, it's ridiculously easy. If you recruit a couple of decent players you end up winning every match like 8-0

It's like every JRPG if you put more than a little effort into it.

Still played the gently caress out of it when I did my first run of X. That was enough.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Raphus C posted:

Lemme tell ya 'bout a little SNES RPG called The 7th Saga...

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Told the PS4 to upload what is obviously the best scene from FFX. Can at least get an idea of what the PS4 HD remaster looks like, which I am sure isn't too different from the others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_GRR6WAco
Granted, it appears the thing only uploads in 720p, so it does look a bit nicer on the actual console.

Raphus C posted:

Yeah, to be fair, I've basically been sleepwalking through the game. I do remember it getting better at this point, but up until now I feel like I haven't been playing a game so much as watching a movie. The battles so far haven't taken a lot beyond 'press x a lot'. These are not hard games.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 14, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

baram. posted:

if you plan to do the backtracking to get stuff i cobbled together a little guide. you do it after killing the slime thing in the woods.

code:
Macalania Woods:
-Jecht Sphere (Woods South)

Thunder Plains:
-Jecht Sphere (South (East Area))

Moonflow:
-Sign Miyu (Defender) (North Wharf)
-Jecht Sphere (South Wharf)

Djose Temple: 
-Sign Kyou (Defender) (Left Bridge)

Mushroom Rock Road:
-Jecht Sphere (Precipice by Elevator)

Mi'ihen Highroad:
-Jecht Sphere (Southernmost End of Old Road)

Mi'ihen Agency:
-Sign Ropp (MF/Defender)

Luca:
-Sign Wedge (Near Stadium (Forward))
-Sign Jumal (Near Fountain (GK))
-Jecht Sphere (Stadium Basement (Outside Auroch's Locker Room))

S.S. Liki:
-Jecht Sphere (Bridge)

Besaid Village:
-Jecht Sphere (Near Temple)
-Valefor's Second Limit (Talk to Shopkeep girl, then talk to Dog in NE Residence)

Good list overall, except for the very last point, which shouldn't be on a backtracking list except in a sense of "in case you missed it earlier". Get Valefor's second overdrive before leaving the island the very first time, so you actually have it during the part of the game where Valefor is most likely to see any action in the first place. Makes the first Belgemine fight a (bigger) breeze.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ah ha ha ha ha ha ha

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Vil posted:

Good list overall, except for the very last point, which shouldn't be on a backtracking list except in a sense of "in case you missed it earlier". Get Valefor's second overdrive before leaving the island the very first time, so you actually have it during the part of the game where Valefor is most likely to see any action in the first place. Makes the first Belgemine fight a (bigger) breeze.

yeah that's the reason I left it on there.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Told the PS4 to upload what is obviously the best scene from FFX. Can at least get an idea of what the PS4 HD remaster looks like, which I am sure isn't too different from the others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_GRR6WAco
Granted, it appears the thing only uploads in 720p, so it does look a bit nicer on the actual console.

Is it just me or does it look like the HD characters got some botox injections? If anything their faces seem less expressive now, especially around the cheeks and eyes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Vil posted:

Is it just me or does it look like the HD characters got some botox injections? If anything their faces seem less expressive now, especially around the cheeks and eyes.

The X-2 models look quite a bit better in my opinion than the redone X models.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

yeah the remastered faces in x are creepy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

baram. posted:

yeah the remastered faces in x are creepy.

Tidus looks like he got stung by a bee.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
So I sat down and took a better look at their financial results now that they've been updated with new slides (and spelling corrections): http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/15q4slides.pdf

- Big boost to the content production account for next year.
- Console growth limited to the West. Mobile growth is global and expected to grow rapidly in the coming years. Expect a lot more mobile games from the company
- Proportionally digital sales seem to be strongest in Europe
- MMO revenue is solid but has plateaued. Plan on expansions and launches in South Korea to bring growth
- Mobile shows very strong growth. Will become dominate revenue stream in the future
- In Press Release, MMOs (FFXIV and DQX) had 'favorable progress' and mobile/PC F2P games (Sengoku IXA, Dragon Quest Super Light, Schoolgirl Strikers, and Final Fantasy Record Keeper) had 'strong performance'
- In amusement, Dissidia will launch this fall. Segment is looking for growth in foreign tourism
- FFXV unlikely to release before March 2016
- They expect net sales to exceed 200 billion yen for next year. Last record was 192 billion yen in FY 2010. That was due to FFXIII, DQIX, DQVI remake, Kingdom Hearts 358/2, Batman Arkham Asylum, and solid sales performance in the three other divisions.
- Target operating income for next year is 17-25 billion yen. This operating income/margin would actually be lower than what they had in FY 2010 and FY 2007 when expenses were much lower. They plan on breaking the past record in FY 2016.

Great news if you like mobile games.
Okay news if you enjoy MMOs.
Bad news if you like lots of console games from Japan.

Vil posted:

While a Chinese outsourcing studio named Virtuos did most of the development, Square-Enix Japan handled most of the asset work. When they are unable to find the original master assets, they redid the art from scratch. As I mentioned before, they used a fan made character extraction tool and credited the programmer in the special thanks section of the expanded credits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm suddenly glad of my gaming backlog, in the grim dark future of all mobile at least I'll have something to play.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

Bad news if you like lots of console games from Japan.

These games would do a lot better in this area if they started making more good console games that are cross platform across the big three major consoles as well as PC. This means that their development approach has to be one which allows for a lot of scaling due to various hardware but it is not like this is a new concept in the gaming industry. It might be new territory to SE but there is good money to be made here. No reason why they cannot or would not want to gobble up all of that mobile and MMO money as well as console/PC games too. Of course, convincing them that this is true may not be easy.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, mobile gaming is a siphon meant only to suck money from your account, and MMOs are like gaming cancer. Whenever I hear about a friend or acquaintance starting an MMO, I can only think "Oh, I am so sorry."

The only console games from Japan in the past few years that I've cared about have come from From Software. I am hoping that Disgaea 5 and Persona 5 are playable though, as I would like to have reasons other than Bloodborne to justify my PS4 purchase.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 14, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Mobile stamina games are the "new" (3-4 year old) cancer, honestly. It's depressing because there are good mobile games but they make so little money in comparison that if a developer is in that space, it's now considered foolish not to make a stamina game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Super Light really needs to come here but SE still seems to think Dragon Quest is dead outside glorious nippon. I just pulled a Necrosaro on my DQMSL account today because not only does this game give out a lot of premium currency I got some guaranteed S rank gacha ticket today which got my the aforementioned boss dude. :iia: :japan:

Shame the game's terribly unstable on my iPad mini though.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Have the PS4 HD owners been noticing the fixed RNG? I was planning on getting the remaster for PS4 since I never got it on PS3 and want to relive the fun, but if this is true I don't know if I will.

Cite article: Destructoid

Edit: Video. Wow this is disgusting.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 15, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TravelLog posted:

Have the PS4 HD owners been noticing the fixed RNG? I was planning on getting the remaster for PS4 since I never got it on PS3 and want to relive the fun, but if this is true I don't know if I will.

Cite article: Destructoid

Yuck. The RNG and music bug are deal breakers for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That RNG problem is pretty nuts

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I checked out the remastered soundtrack to FFX, and to be honest, they kinda hosed it up.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

drat, that rng thing's insane

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I checked out the remastered soundtrack to FFX, and to be honest, they kinda hosed it up.

The remixed soundtrack is pretty great in my experience, I think I prefer 98% of the songs.

The remixed Besaid Island though? Jesus.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Surely you'd just have to do one thing differently and it would break the sequence? Pick a different attack or get into a fight on a different screen or something.

The only reason you'd be at a disadvantage knowing how a boss fight will go is if you're trying to roll Zanmato on the first turn to cheese it, in which case you deserve everything you get :colbert:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The remixed soundtrack is pretty great in my experience, I think I prefer 98% of the songs.

The remixed Besaid Island though? Jesus.

I like both versions of Besaid Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't even understand how the RNG thing happens. That's absurd.