Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Backhand posted:

God, I've been doing those recently and they are like a monument to the bad quests in this game. Nothing tops the Minutemen repeatables that literally never stop coming and clog your quest log and can't be refused, obviously, but the MILA ones are pretty bad too. I think the thing that gets me most is that they are only partially 'radiant'; unlike the Minutemen quest, there's a finite number of MILA quests. But the problem is, eleven quests is way too loving many when every single one is completely identical.

No sense of accomplishment, no sense of progress, nothing unique between the missions. Just the exact same thing eleven times.

Hey, "climb the tall thing" might not be a big deal for Etzio Auditory, but it's a significant accomplishment for John Fallout.

I dunno, maybe it's because I never did the minecrafts, but I still get a kick out of figuring out how all these Z-levels connect with one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

mackintosh posted:

Siding with the Institute doesn't necessarily imply siding with the people working there. In my proposed version of events, you side with your grandchildren and take over the Institute for its resources, research and as a safe base of your operations for the future subjugation of the Commonwealth. What happens to the people there is inconsequential, but I'm sure most would choose to live rather than the alternative. You only ever really need to execute a select few in key positions. They're scientists, not guerrillas.

I don't see how siding with the Institute doesn't mean siding with the people working there. That's what an organisation is, you can't side with a building.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Reveilled posted:

I don't see how siding with the Institute doesn't mean siding with the people working there. That's what an organisation is, you can't side with a building.

I can and will once someone makes a mod that brings buildings to life.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mega64 posted:

I suppose arguably if you could have sided with Eden in Fallout 3, that would have been siding with a building. I'd have done that if it were an option.

But for real, becoming leader of the Institute only to immediately betray all the staff and murder them, then setting yourself up as the god-king of the Synths wouldn't be siding with the Institute, it's siding with yourself. Not that I wouldn't do that either since it would be a very cool sounding ending, but it's not siding with the Institute.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Reveilled posted:

Synths are people. Also, all the other factions want the building destroyed and I happen to like the building.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Lexorin posted:

Fat man's are surprisingly common early on. Pretty sure it's due to ammo scarcity though. I'd found at least 10 of them before ever seeing a missle launcher.

I think I've stolen KLEOs fat man and mini nuke 20 times now.

Edit: Is it an exploit to just pick it up and bring it to the top floor to steal it there, out of sight?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 19, 2015

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

moot the hopple posted:

Anyone know where the "extra guess attempt for hacking" ability is found? Got it last playthrough but can't remember where it's from. I think it might have come from a magazine?

I've gotten that from a bobblehead.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Just got to Diamond City, and felt compelled to follow Ann Codman to her home and blow her and her husband up with a grenade. Besides Piper not liking it too much nothing seems to have occured, have I screwed anything up quest-wise or anything?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

mackintosh posted:

Synths are people. Also, all the other factions want the building destroyed and I happen to like the building.

Yes, but if your intention is to have them treat you like a god and be their dictator you're not really siding with them either, you're just replacing the institute's scientists as their master.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Reveilled posted:

Yes, but if your intention is to have them treat you like a god and be their dictator you're not really siding with them either, you're just replacing the institute's scientists as their master.

Of course it isn't. However, synths will not be free in the Institute scenario unless any opposition to their self determination is removed from the equation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mega64 posted:

Can I gently caress these buildings? Can I build a bed near the building and sleep in it to get the lover's embrace perk?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So does the Institute ever start twirling their moustache before the Railroad ending? I'm on my way to that ending, I've already betrayed the Brotherhood, but so far the most evil thing they've done was "conducted FEV research and maybe abducted some folks", and the latter seems more like a misunderstanding than anything really "evil". I mean I give no shits about nor have any loyalty to my geriatric son, but I'm not seeing anything that horrible about the Institute yet.

But they'll blow up real good when I get to that part, I guess.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reveilled posted:

The Railroad, lots of plantation owners enslaved their kids, you can't save your grandkids by convincing the overseers that the slaves are people, you'd better just free your grandkids and burn the plantation to the ground. If you think you think you can convince the slaveowners that their slaves are people by dint of your becoming their leader, ask Abe Lincoln how that worked out. At least Lincoln could march armies into the South, the staff at the institute can just change the locks on the relay and dump you like a crazy girlfriend when your ideas get too radical.

Day 1, Hour 1: :commissar: the division heads, replace them with synths

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

King Vidiot posted:

So does the Institute ever start twirling their moustache before the Railroad ending? I'm on my way to that ending, I've already betrayed the Brotherhood, but so far the most evil thing they've done was "conducted FEV research and maybe abducted some folks", and the latter seems more like a misunderstanding than anything really "evil". I mean I give no shits about nor have any loyalty to my geriatric son, but I'm not seeing anything that horrible about the Institute yet.

Other than murdering your significant other and kidnapping your son while leaving you as backup? Keep playing and reading terminals, you'll find out soon enough.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I work at target and the system says we received 36 Nuka colas this morning if anyone is jonesing for one and wasn't able to get one when they released with the game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is anyone else having performance issues? Yesterday I woke up and my computer (windows 10) said it updated itself. Not the normal updates but like how it used to be when a new beta build was released. ever since then, I get really lovely performance out of Fallout 4.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mackintosh posted:

Other than murdering your significant other and kidnapping your son while leaving you as backup? Keep playing and reading terminals, you'll find out soon enough.

I guess I glossed over that since I didn't care about robobaby or Generic Loving Husband Man. But I guess hiring unscrupulous mercenaries to carry out your plans and allowing murder to be part of those plans counts as pretty bad?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Visit University Point if you haven't already. That's where I went from "I'm probably going against the Institute" to "Okay, gently caress these guys."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you look through all the terminals in the institute, you'll see they do lots of horrible things. They give you a fake choice to make during the institute line. I want a dlc where I get to change the institute to what I want it to be within the constraints of a dialogue choice I guess.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Visit University Point if you haven't already. That's where I went from "I'm probably going against the Institute" to "Okay, gently caress these guys."

And their plans for the Warwick homestead and the entire Commonwealth as well as unclear involvement in the abrupt end to the first provisional Commonwealth government. There are a lot of reasons to want to eradicate them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

mackintosh posted:

Of course it isn't. However, synths will not be free in the Institute scenario unless any opposition to their self determination is removed from the equation.

It kinda seems like that is your intention when you said you were literally their god.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I remember my first visit to the Institute and all the NPC dialogue was all about "Let's gently caress with human lives and poo poo" and "Shut the gently caress up you loving synth scum" and other negative poo poo like that. It's like everyone in that place has a stick up their rear end, especially the management. I don't know why anyone would want to be leader of a bunch of bureaucratic rear end in a top hat nerds who don't like you, sounds like hell.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Still trying to decide who to end the game with, Brotherhood, Minutemen, or Railroad. Kinda leaning towards Railroad at the moment, Brotherhood are almost as lovely as the Institute, and the Minutemen just seen...ineffective.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Still trying to decide who to end the game with, Brotherhood, Minutemen, or Railroad. Kinda leaning towards Railroad at the moment, Brotherhood are almost as lovely as the Institute, and the Minutemen just seen...ineffective.

Most of the factions have a handful of Cool Guys among the assholes but the Railroad is almost entirely Cool Guys, which swayed me onto their side.

gently caress Carrington though.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The Minutemen are probably the best 'good' faction in that they don't do anything hideously evil. I do have to admit some sympathy for the Brotherhood though; they're extremists, but they also feel like the only faction that's actually doing things. The Minutemen and the Railroad and the Institute will all shake their heads and 'tsk tsk' when the topic of raiders or super mutants or gunners or feral ghouls come up, but the Brotherhood is the only faction that actively goes out, fights them, secures objectives, etc.

Sure, they do a miserable job of it for the most part, but they still actively try. And that's more than can be said for anybody else. I like the Brotherhood because they do poo poo.

EDIT: Also, they keep their retarded radiant quests to a minimum. Thank Christ.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 19, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

Anyone know where the "extra guess attempt for hacking" ability is found? Got it last playthrough but can't remember where it's from. I think it might have come from a magazine?

Science bobblehead in the vault under Malden Middle School.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

How about exterminating an entire settlement because a ten-year-old kid found something cool that they wanted?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sjonnar posted:

Science bobblehead in the vault under Malden Middle School.
I was rather disappointed when that one didn't stack with Nick's perk.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, fess up, which one of you is this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6l2_jZ5lLE

The bitcoin case on the ground just clinches it.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Backhand posted:

The Minutemen and the Railroad and the Institute will all shake their heads and 'tsk tsk' when the topic of raiders or super mutants or gunners or feral ghouls come up, but the Brotherhood is the only faction that actively goes out, fights them, secures objectives, etc.

The Minutemen do this too. I've run across several roaming Minutemen kill squads fighting raiders and supermutants. I think they might only start spawning after you retake Fort Independence though.

Also, the Institute does this as well. If you side with them, you'll see squads of friendly gen 1s and gen 2s setting up checkpoints in the city.

edit: And Preston explicitly states that one of the Minutemen's goals is to run the raider scum out of the Commonwealth for good.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I work at target and the system says we received 36 Nuka colas this morning if anyone is jonesing for one and wasn't able to get one when they released with the game.

Dammit, I'm probably not in your area. But is it for every Target ever? Or just your store.

mackintosh posted:

And their plans for the Warwick homestead and the entire Commonwealth as well as unclear involvement in the abrupt end to the first provisional Commonwealth government. There are a lot of reasons to want to eradicate them.

To be honest, I'd rather eradicate the Commonwealth altogether. Like, yeah, there's some good guys within but... nah. Just get the guys outta there, so they can continue to be cool in other possibly more settled wastelands.

Yes, I'm one of those people that really hates the "recently bombed out" look of a place that was bombed out 210 years ago.

Strudel Man posted:

I was rather disappointed when that one didn't stack with Nick's perk.

It doesn't? Ah well. At least Nick's alright.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sjonnar posted:

The Minutemen do this too. I've run across several roaming Minutemen kill squads fighting raiders and supermutants. I think they might only start spawning after you retake Fort Independence though.

Also, the Institute does this as well. If you side with them, you'll see squads of friendly gen 1s and gen 2s setting up checkpoints in the city.

edit: And Preston explicitly states that one of the Minutemen's goals is to run the raider scum out of the Commonwealth for good.

I think every faction does this eventually, possibly only post-game, but I sided with the Railroad in the first game and all those checkpoints are manned by Railroad teams instead.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I had Preston do this the other day :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw9berTqqc

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whoah, you have Railroad agents out in the open in the post-game? That's amazing. In my craving to see all the possible endings (and because I'm going nuts trying out different character archetypes) I haven't messed with postgame much.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Quite a few pages ago, but I'm curious:

Mr Hootington posted:

I just found the Tremors quest.

Fallout 4 is the best fallout.

Where is this quest?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sjonnar posted:

I've been ignoring the main storyline and only just now getting around to it, but Minutemen have been fighting Gunners near Fort Hagen -- and nowhere else -- every time I've been there.

Indigo Jones
Jul 11, 2014

by zen death robot
Can you build multiple industrial water purifiers to get more purified water? I'm currently trying to make a profit off of selling purified water.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Backhand posted:

The Minutemen are probably the best 'good' faction in that they don't do anything hideously evil.

I take it you haven't been to Quincy yet?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Swimming on the land is a fine Bethesda Fallout tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Indigo Jones posted:

Can you build multiple industrial water purifiers to get more purified water? I'm currently trying to make a profit off of selling purified water.

Yup! You can fill the entire river at Sanctuary with industrial purifiers, and Spectacle Island is an easy 999 water. Just make sure you have the materials to make a shitload of turrets, too.

• Locked thread