Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You can be Royal and stop the universe from going to poo poo. It's just very unlikely that you care about the universe while also being such a furious dumbass as to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
maybe the doctrine of detachment from the fruit of your actions is somewhere between "loving stupid" and "propaganda designed to lull the oppressed into inaction" and Royalty has exactly the same ethical valence as, well, royalty

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Those on the path of Royalty have only mastered the world. The point, however,

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Royalty means being like Yisun, or actually being Yisun, which are the same thing.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the endlessly repeating wheel we're all being broken under is this discussion

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

maybe the doctrine of detachment from the fruit of your actions is somewhere between "loving stupid" and "propaganda designed to lull the oppressed into inaction" and Royalty has exactly the same ethical valence as, well, royalty

In a certain angle definitely. But the other side of it is about getting poo poo done somehow because thats how miracles happen, in the revolutionary sense of things. Like Gramsci said: pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dead gay comedy forums posted:

What I am not following is why any of them have any special responsibilities because of their circumstances (to stop the war or whatever). The OG superking hosed off without giving any regard, after all.

It seems to me that one important consideration is missing here, the renunciation of control. Just because someone is fuckoff powerful doesn’t mean that they can actually do much - that realization appears to be a constitutive part of Royalty

does the general tone of the comic strike you as pro-nihilism, or helplessness

the circumstances of the major characters and royalty aspirants of the comic is that they can do literally anything they put their minds to, where they fail is in putting their minds to anything worthwhile. If you're not going to care about an omnicidal war destroying everything, what are you going to care about?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 15, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
On the protagonist side, the most Royal thing any of the good guys has done was White Chain punching herself into a new, previously impossible state of existence.

This was something she did completely on accident, while attempting an action that she knew was inherently futile but willing to commit to with every fiber of her being.

So saying "welp, I can't stop multiversal war" is one of the steps in the process but the next step is to throw yourself wholly into stopping multiversal war anyhow.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

the holy poopacy posted:

So saying "welp, I can't stop multiversal war" is one of the steps in the process but the next step is to throw yourself wholly into stopping multiversal war anyhow.

Disco Elysium posted:

You: Wait, first — what's this *communism* even about?
Rhetoric: Failure. It's about failure.
You: Failure?
Rhetoric: Yes! Abject failure. Total, irreversible defeat on all fronts! Absolutely vanquished, beaten, curb-stomped and pissed on — until *you* came along! *You* will reverse the fortune of the workers of the world. You alone, against every living thing, against every human alive: eight hundred trillion reál in the hands of an *impossibly* well organized ruling class; towering city blocks of bank-men who have the ears of prime ministers; million-headed armies of nations and the love of your own mother! You — against the atom, the charm and the spin. Where the whole world failed — matter failed to bend to human will; human will failed to get out of bed and tie its laces — you alone, single-handedly, will rebuild the dreams of the working class. You are The Last Communist. Now get to work, comrade.
You: It's too tiring. I don't have it in me. I'm beat down and broken.
Rhetoric: Very well. I guess no one will build Communism then. Tell the working man it's over. Unless anyone has... objections?
Logic: No objections. It's mathematically impossible to achieve a classless society. Everyone knows this.
Savoir Faire: Let not failure ensnare you any further, beautiful pixie girl! Be an acrobat! A prancing faerie queen!
Electrochemistry: Did someone mention cocaine? Are we doing cocaine? No? I'm sure I heard someone say Cocainimism...
Rhetoric: Anyone? Anyone else? There's no one?
Volition: There's one.
You: What should I do?
Volition: You should build Communism — precisely *because* it's impossible.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

Volition: You can do it. It's nothing. Do it for the city. Go.
Shivers: Do it for the wind.
Logic: Do it for the picture puzzle. Put it all together. Solve the world. One conversation at a time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you're explaining Royalty, you're not being Royal.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

Right, I should be naked and drinking.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Benagain posted:

Right, I should be naked and drinking.

Exactly, since basically everything in the comic so far has seemed to imply that this is the most royal state of all.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

does the general tone of the comic strike you as pro-nihilism, or helplessness

the circumstances of the major characters and royalty aspirants of the comic is that they can do literally anything they put their minds to, where they fail is in putting their minds to anything worthwhile. If you're not going to care about an omnicidal war destroying everything, what are you going to care about?

the holy poopacy posted:

I do agree with you especially because

Pattonesque posted:

disco elysium

I didn't express myself well. When I said that "they can't do much", I should have been clearer in terms of controlling outcomes of their actions. Besides that, I meant that, since they are Royal, they are not acting in an ethical/moral obligation or imperative, if that makes sense. They are just pure action. The subject understanding that it is the cause of itself, etc

Like, a wiser one among them might think: universal war is hell, I have a strong position, ambitious fuckers are coming for my rear end so I am going to play defense because that way I also can serve my people and improve their lives while scrubs conveniently bring their keys to me (regardless of how effective that is). Another one thinks that going in the offensive makes sense for them because power-hungry egomaniacs are going to annoy literally everyone in the universe so might as well just be proactive and hey, might be fun. Both were powerful, both get owned (probably by Jaggadork) and both were Royal because they renounced control of the results and acted out of pure subjective volition.

(it's a fun gimmick thing to talk about because it made me connect a lot of dots from reading about eastern mysticism, philosophy and related stuff btw. ty all)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Mysticism?

Royalty is real and it is my friend.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Royalty is a scam made up by crown companies to sell more crowns.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Royalty is a nerd trap to keep anyone who thinks too hard from ending up in a position of power.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Exactly, since basically everything in the comic so far has seemed to imply that this is the most royal state of all.

Not for nothing do we have the phrase, "drunk as a Lord"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

There Bias Two posted:

Royalty is a nerd trap to keep anyone who thinks too hard from ending up in a position of power.

Idk the current management was p overthinky and not really that great tbh

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

the holy poopacy posted:

On the protagonist side, the most Royal thing any of the good guys has done was White Chain punching herself into a new, previously impossible state of existence.

This was something she did completely on accident, while attempting an action that she knew was inherently futile but willing to commit to with every fiber of her being.

Followed closely by White Chain hesitating when wondering if she can fuse with the already-fused Allison/Cio, and Allison/Cio just respond "Screw it, let's do it!". And they just loving do.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Discio Allisium

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

RocketMermaid posted:

Followed closely by White Chain hesitating when wondering if she can fuse with the already-fused Allison/Cio, and Allison/Cio just respond "Screw it, let's do it!". And they just loving do.

"Don't think, DO" is a recurring theme

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thundarr posted:

If you're explaining Royalty with no concern as to whether or not your audience is interested in your explanation or if you're doing a good or bad job in the explanation, then that's Royalty.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Phy posted:

Not for nothing do we have the phrase, "drunk as a Lord"

Ray Smuckles is the only true Royalty in the universe, change my mind.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The only true royal in Achewood is Mr. Bear, that's been pretty conclusively decided in-comic

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems like the thing about Royalty is that getting there forbids both unproductive and productive forms of thought.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rand Brittain posted:

It seems like the thing about Royalty is that getting there forbids thought.
Fixed that for you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If Salami Dave had done everything up to the point where he killed its despoiler and restored Rayuba to a living world, and then promptly hosed off and only showed up if someone tried to mess with Rayuba and let its people govern themselves, he might have attained something resembling Royalty.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Or at least a healthy work/life balance.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Youremother posted:

The only true royal in Achewood is Mr. Bear, that's been pretty conclusively decided in-comic

Cornelius is the clear and obvious choice for Most Royal Achewood Character.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 16, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

It is not royal to be afraid of the police.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, it's why Maya stays drunk, duh

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I didn't notice this before, but apparently Solomon might have missed at least one Ki Rata monk: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/seeker-of-thrones-5-43-to-5-44-ashton/

Being on Throne probably saved that guy, I guess.

Go to this guy for advice and it's always fuckin "be patient" like some busted rear end magic 8 ball , "seek inner peace", like ah sure lad this cost me 2 shards of black glass thanks for that

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shoehead posted:

Go to this guy for advice and it's always fuckin "be patient" like some busted rear end magic 8 ball , "seek inner peace", like ah sure lad this cost me 2 shards of black glass thanks for that

This gold devil killed my parents and have enslaved my sisters.

My son, have you considered doing extra nothing in response?

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Trying to decide whether he does or does not liquefy the chest cavities of anyone dumb enough to throw a punch at him for his incredibly expensive yet obviously worthless advice. On the one hand, practice what you preach, yeah? On the other, surely anyone dumb enough to try and attack a guy known for his mastery of an obscenely deadly martial art gets what's coming to them.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Previous practitioners have apparently shown no issue with the idea of brutalizing masters who challenge and attack them so why should this dude be any different.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah that’s basically what being a Ki Rata master meant until Solomon showed up: you do nothing and if anyone tries to fight, spar, or imitate you, you do ultraviolence to their weak and mortal frame.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They seemed to believe themselves masters of violence who didn't realize inevitably someone who was a greater master would arrive and crush their morals figuratively and literally. Truly a group of fools.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They firmly believed that the only thing that can beat a ki rata master is another ki rata master, and until Jagganoth came along they were right. So they figured that all they needed to do is indoctrinate or kill all other ki rata masters. However, they failed with regard to Solomon David.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I would argue they failed when they allowed an entire world to die because hey, it wasn’t the kind of violence they’d sworn to prevent.