Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ravenfood posted:

Are there enough new mechanics from xcom2 that it's worth doing the tutorial once at least? And/or does it start you off in a worse place than you could be on your own like xcom1 does? (And 2 for that matter)

Definitely do it once, it gets you some backstory and it doesn't set you back at all. I'd restart after a few missions so you get a better idea of what team members would be more useful to you against which faction you start with, but restarting immediately and going with whoever seems interesting is a good way to go too. Permadeath results in mission failure/game over and injuries slightly reduce team member effectiveness but they're easily removed and you can still deploy them on missions and various activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah, injuries are nothing this time around and even scars are pretty trivial (depending on certain conditions but GENERALLY) and as long as you limp past the finish line with even one health, regardless of if its borrowed or not you won't scar.

Although I have no idea how I'd win without Terminal.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I just heard the NotDog commercial and it was glorious and no species member of the 2036 accord should eat more than one packet of notdogs a week without written permission from an accredited gene therapist.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
chimera squad good. bye everyone

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does the game just refuse to load at all in Steam Offline mode or is it just my system?

Also I love the police now and would die for these alien cop friends. Blue lives matter.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wait so I reloaded and just did another mission and now it's telling me that the one I got to the end of and failed is a critical mission that I have to do today? Take down sacred coil is the name so I guess I'll put this in spoilers just in case people are worried about what a mission has or whatever

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat a room with a mec, an andromedon, a boss dude who seems to act like a reaper but with a shitload more health, a guardian who gives everyone even more health and a bunch of random little guys that gets reinforcements two turns later which consist of 2 chrysalids and another andromedon. Then it has a mission objective that spawns a gatekeeper as well. All of that, this early in the game? I have upgraded armour once, I've researched the upgraded smgs but haven't bought it yet, I can afford it but I don't think 1 extra damage per shot on two of my guys is gonna make the difference here. This seems impossible with only 4 squad members. Am I missing something or did I just pick something bad at some point.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pierson posted:

Does the game just refuse to load at all in Steam Offline mode or is it just my system?

Also I love the police now and would die for these alien cop friends. Blue lives matter.

I'm just relieved we finally get an xcom where we play as the bad guys :D

thebardyspoon posted:

Wait so I reloaded and just did another mission and now it's telling me that the one I got to the end of and failed is a critical mission that I have to do today? Take down sacred coil is the name so I guess I'll put this in spoilers just in case people are worried about what a mission has or whatever

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat a room with a mec, an andromedon, a boss dude who seems to act like a reaper but with a shitload more health, a guardian who gives everyone even more health and a bunch of random little guys that gets reinforcements two turns later which consist of 2 chrysalids and another andromedon. Then it has a mission objective that spawns a gatekeeper as well. All of that, this early in the game? I have upgraded armour once, I've researched the upgraded smgs but haven't bought it yet, I can afford it but I don't think 1 extra damage per shot on two of my guys is gonna make the difference here. This seems impossible with only 4 squad members. Am I missing something or did I just pick something bad at some point.

You can shut down the andromadon and chrysalid reinforcements by taking your squad in both doors, in your first turn jumping down into the pit and capturing one console, than the other. Turn orders important here because one is only active after the other but if you're fast enough and do it in one turn, no reinforcements. No andromadons and chrysallids Reaperboss is vulnerable to poison and has no real armor, although you need to roll up on him and he makes it very hard to do while you got a lot of heat on you. Cease fire grenades can work wonders here on all the minions. since it drops them out for a turn. The gatekeeper has way less armor than you probably remember and dosn't seem to have its big laser which means you can stop it shooting by making it clam up AND its organic which means it can be poisoned or disoriented or stunned (but its pretty strong against TK) I found that ceasefire grenades were key because they critically stack on top of other forms of disable meaning the enemies are out for the disable than have to wake up to reload.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 24, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
How do the Chimera Squad dark events work, do you get stuck with the bad thing you choose to investigate, or the one you don't?

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 24, 2020

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Quick trip report, don't try to investigate the psionics first (psionics adds a whole bunch of mechanics that it feels are easier to cope with when your squad aren't all rookies).

Thanks for the advice Im going to investigate them first now

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

"Hey you know that big rear end boss monster we added in the DLC?"

"The one with the really over powered moves? what of it?"

"what if we had a standard enemy with all of their core moves, just copy pasted exactly as is?"

"Oh dude thats genius, plus, what if we also made them stick you in place so that when they run away from you and hide out of sight you're left TOTALLY impotent to respond AND the root's duration is randomized"

"lmaooooo"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

You can shut down the andromadon and chrysalid reinforcements by taking your squad in both doors, in your first turn jumping down into the pit and capturing one console, than the other. Turn orders important here because one is only active after the other but if you're fast enough and do it in one turn, no reinforcements. Reaperboss is vulnerable to poison and has no real armor, although you need to roll up on him and he makes it very hard to do while you got a lot of heat on you. Cease fire grenades can work wonders here on all the minions. since it drops them out for a turn. The gatekeeper has way less armor than you probably remember and dosn't have its big laser which means you can stop it shooting by making it clam up AND its organic which means it can be poisoned or disoriented or stunned (but its pretty strong against TK) I found that ceasefire grenades were key because they critically stack on top of other forms of disable meaning the enemies are out for the disable than have to wake up to reload.

Hmm, ok thanks. Will give it another go tomorrow then, I got all the way through it and then reloaded and did another mission so I'd have to go through it up until that part and I can't be arsed tonight (feels like if the encounter is going to be that brutal they could have made it a 2 or 1 encounter mission instead, goddamn). Should I get that SMG upgrade just for the damage help?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Hmm, ok thanks. Will give it another go tomorrow then, I got all the way through it and then reloaded and did another mission so I'd have to go through it up until that part and I can't be arsed tonight (feels like if the encounter is going to be that brutal they could have made it a 2 or 1 encounter mission instead, goddamn). Should I get that SMG upgrade just for the damage help?

I had pretty good armor so I facerolled a lot of gunfire and kinda killed them all with attrition, psionic berserks, melee attacks and poison but the game gives you randomized crew compositions so I can't tell you if this strats gonna work out perfectly for you!! GOOD LUCK!!

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I spent a bunch of intel for a high end impact frame from the black market (a weapon upgrade that gives higher subdue damage) thinking I could put it on Cherub and really make his charged bash ridiculous but he can’t equip it. Should have known but at least it’s still good on other people.

It’s funny that it doesn’t count subdues in the agent’s killcount, Godmother has been on 10 missions with 4 kills to her name because she’s been shotgun beanbagging everyone since the second mission.

Game good.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Definitely do it once, it gets you some backstory and it doesn't set you back at all. I'd restart after a few missions so you get a better idea of what team members would be more useful to you against which faction you start with, but restarting immediately and going with whoever seems interesting is a good way to go too. Permadeath results in mission failure/game over and injuries slightly reduce team member effectiveness but they're easily removed and you can still deploy them on missions and various activities.

the tutorial sucks viper eggs because it does not let you pick your squad

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah I'm sure a game about gunning down creatures framed as subhumans could never attract dipshits oh wait I'm talking to one right now.

this is new to me, since i thought xcom was about fighting aliens invading and occupying earth

also I got zephyr and holy poo poo zephyr owns

it's less xcom than 'shadowrun but you're cops' but i don't really care because swatcom is Fun and Good.

also axiom's shotgun looks like a toy it's so cute

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does the tutorial have story in it or something?

e: Oh.

Ironman loving sucks with how unstable the game can be.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

Evergreen XCOM post

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cuntellectual posted:

Same as it ever was.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The real Ironman for XCOM is having the self restraint to not reload, because gently caress trusting the game to not bug out.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

Same as it ever was.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

SpookyLizard posted:

the tutorial sucks viper eggs because it does not let you pick your squad

Actually I take this back because the tutorial takes place in the loving xcom museum and that's cool as heck play the tutorial for the museum and then immediately start a new game so you can pick your own roster.

Peachfart posted:

The real Ironman for XCOM is having the self restraint to not reload, because gently caress trusting the game to not bug out.

This tbh, honorman 4 lyfe

Also I found a new good bug. I had to stop mid mission and when i came back and reloaded it broke the reinforcements and none of them showed up lol.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

this is new to me, since i thought xcom was about fighting aliens invading and occupying earth

well look, Gamers suck rear end but most especially the gamers you get when you start a video game franchise in 1993 with themes of human exceptionalism and defending your world from foreign invasion by a clear and unambiguous enemy that is simultaneously subhuman but also a great big threat. I'm not saying Xcom is racist I'm saying the angry steam reviews pouring in are probably due to people seeing the cosmopolitan, multicultural, burgerking kids klub future envisioned by this latest game as a 'betrayal' of their deluded idea of what Xcom was 'about' to them.

If that sounds farfetched to you than I'm going to have to congratulate you on somehow avoiding reddit and twitter for this long... I envy that.

and now I will speak no more of it because coolguye will try and talk to me again and nobody deserves that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I was pretty skeptical of this, but I was wrong. Game rocks. Astounded they're selling it for $10, wonder why they lacked confidence in it(?)

Some of the abilities are amazingly fun and it was obviously made with a ton of love for the setting. Breaches are cool and I wouldn't mind if they opened the (occasional) mission in XCOM 3 before transitioning to a more traditional mission structure, or if the the occasional short Breach smash-and-grab style mission was mixed in with the longer missions.

Gotta agree that the aliens should have some sort of different sound to their voices. Also it's weird to roll out in silence, without a little pre-mission pump-you-up music sting.

Can't post going back to the game.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I don't think I would have paid 60 bucks for this game, but I'd probably do 30, and for the 10 I actually paid it is an amazing deal and totally worth it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Agent355 posted:

That's a thing? Man I'm glad I've never interacted with the xcom community then, what a weird loving takeaway from the series.

E: my favorite thing about chimera and really all the x-com games (except the underwater one) is that they always take the series in new directions with each and every installment.

So many sequels in all forms of media are just about doing the same thing again but bigger, while x-com has always been more about 'okay so after the events of the last game what changes would we see in the world and how can we build the next game off that' and it owns so hard.

It doesn't seem very surprising to me. :shrug:

Doesn't mean it's good or anything but it's literally a series about killing invading aliens that are all completely hostile war crime enthusiasts.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Evac's being staggered means that enemy's who mind control are extra dangerous, because they don't give a gently caress that you've just evac'd 3 guys, they'll run in from a reinforcement door and control your last person immediately.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
The music ramping up as you assign agents to a breach point is a nice touch

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I take what I said about breech back. The idea is cool, but unavoidable damage before you can even act doesn't need to be anywhere near xcom 3.

A mission taking place over the course of a few small maps would own for some type of mobile xcom game though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what happens if an agent bleeds out during an evac mission? I didn't see any option to pick them up and carry them out.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So what happens if an agent bleeds out during an evac mission? I didn't see any option to pick them up and carry them out.

you just need to stabilize them and it's fine
I think you can even leave them bleeding out as long as you get out before they bleed out entirely

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I take what I said about breech back. The idea is cool, but unavoidable damage before you can even act doesn't need to be anywhere near xcom 3.

A mission taking place over the course of a few small maps would own for some type of mobile xcom game though.

I kinda see the appeal in breaking up the monotony of the parts between individual engagements in the larger maps, I wish you could real time position all your guys in a couple of clicks for the next fight but I dunno if thats dooable with the deterministic way the current xcom engine works...

I think deterministics the right word.

Internet Kraken posted:

You can just leave 'em its fine. It makes a sort of sense in that an ambulance is probably waiting on scene as the cops come and arrest everyone you didn't kill.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

well look, Gamers suck rear end but most especially the gamers you get when you start a video game franchise in 1993 with themes of human exceptionalism and defending your world from foreign invasion by a clear and unambiguous enemy that is simultaneously subhuman but also a great big threat. I'm not saying Xcom is racist I'm saying the angry steam reviews pouring in are probably due to people seeing the cosmopolitan, multicultural, burgerking kids klub future envisioned by this latest game as a 'betrayal' of their deluded idea of what Xcom was 'about' to them.

I don't know about "pouring in", unless they're quickly being removed.

I scanned through a ton of the negative reviews just now and saw exactly 3 that complained about the game being "SJW", "anti-white man", or "communist propaganda" (because of a brief mention that personal firearms are illegal, apparently).

The vast majority of the negative reviews are over:
-Bugs
-Removal of permadeath/strategic layer/open-ended tactical missions
-Dislike of breaching/interleaved turns/respawning enemies
-Dislike for the cartoony artwork and upbeat tone

Maybe it's different on other forums though.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
I can't read the loading screen tips. the game loads too quick :negative:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

kiss me Pikachu posted:

The music ramping up as you assign agents to a breach point is a nice touch

one of my favorite little details

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's a bit buggy and a bit different but I wish every developer would let teams go off and do things like this
Just like Primal/Blood Dragon

It's not always 100% a better iteration but it gives you something unique

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

kiss me Pikachu posted:

I spent a bunch of intel for a high end impact frame from the black market (a weapon upgrade that gives higher subdue damage) thinking I could put it on Cherub and really make his charged bash ridiculous but he can’t equip it. Should have known but at least it’s still good on other people.

It’s funny that it doesn’t count subdues in the agent’s killcount, Godmother has been on 10 missions with 4 kills to her name because she’s been shotgun beanbagging everyone since the second mission.

Game good.

Yeah, I'd love a capture count.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's a bit buggy and a bit different but I wish every developer would let teams go off and do things like this
Just like Primal/Blood Dragon

It's not always 100% a better iteration but it gives you something unique

Word, you've already got an engine, assets and a team. Let them explore and see if you can't sound some ideas for the next installment while you're at it.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, I'd love a capture count.

:same:

My Terminal has done 10 missions with only 3 kills to her name. yet still being the most lvldup agent.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
The only game I've ever pre-ordered and I can't run it. :(

Back to XCOM2, where I killed the last Chosen this morning.

EDIT: oh poo poo, it turns out I just had to assign my graphics card to the game vs using itegrated graphics!

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 25, 2020

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

thebardyspoon posted:

I lucked into setting the boss on fire by berserking a nearby Purifier, which prevented him from doing anything except basic attacks. Him not being able to pull his action economy wrecking bullshit really made the encounter go down a lot smoother. Maybe flashbangs also work? He later got turned into a psi zombie, so I got to shotgun him twice, which I appreciated.

At least one of the turrets has very poor line of sight.

I had Godmother, Verge, Terminal and.... punching lady.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

It doesn't seem very surprising to me. :shrug:

Doesn't mean it's good or anything but it's literally a series about killing invading aliens that are all completely hostile war crime enthusiasts.

It's unsurprising to me insofar as people like that will perform whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to make circle get the square.

It's a little weird for white supremacists to make XCOM their Alamo though, since it's such a major part of the series that the aliens have vastly superior technology and humans can only survive by adopting the tools and abilities of their enemy.

I mean hell, Enemy Within had you outright splicing alien genes into your soldiers to make them better.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Pierson posted:

I haven't tried it but have read a few reports that the launcher does not run in offline mode, but it works if you bypass that and go straight to the exe.