Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

The main reason for volley fire is maximizing the concentration of musket balls hitting their targets.
period accounts also say the noise is shocking

quote:

With the guns from HEY GAL's era prepare for some much more crazy antics.
rip muskets, faced a stiff wind and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Didn't they already do volley fire with bows? Seems like a pretty obvious extension to doing it with guns.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I think powder horns for the military mostly disappeared after the first part of mass military usage. Cartridges or analogues are much more convenient.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deptfordx posted:

I've got a question from recent discussion in one of our nerdy RPG threads.

It's a common trope in such games (We were discussing the new edition of the Warhammer RPG) that personal gunpowder weapons (I.e. Pistols etc, not Cannon which famously could) can explode catastrophically on a particularly bad ('fumbled') roll.

How likely and/or common would it be for your Pistols and Arquebuses etc to suffer such a severe mishap when fired?
it's more likely that a matchlock simply fails to go off

which they do ALL THE TIME, i've seen a match stub itself out in a pile of powder :wtc:

edit: when i ran an rpg set in the 30yw i would have the players roll for a misfire and if they got a 1 on a 1d6 it would not fire.

i have seen blown tubes in museums and such though, it does happen, but if you want an explosion i would think it would be far more likely for a spark to hit an open powder flask. i posted a video of something similar happening long ago, where a guy is firing a small cannon that he charges out of a plastic bottle of powder, which he leaves open. black powder burns very dirty so you have hot sparks EVERYWHERE when you fire. EVERYWHERE.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 23, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

He’s completely serious and kept responding, including saying there’s some British Army manual he can’t recall or find that says everyone is supposed to shoot from the hip.

Even if he were right, the snide point about British soldier not being allowed to aim doesn't really go anywhere given the British soldiers being depicted are in the middle of a very successful action.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HEY GUNS posted:

i posted a video of something similar happening long ago, where a guy is firing a small cannon that he charges out of a plastic bottle of powder, which he leaves open.

I had to go find that again:
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/activeformalalbatross

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

it's more likely that a matchlock simply fails to go off

which they do ALL THE TIME, i've seen a match stub itself out in a pile of powder :wtc:

edit: when i ran an rpg set in the 30yw i would have the players roll for a misfire and if they got a 1 on a 1d6 it would not fire.

i have seen blown tubes in museums and such though, it does happen, but if you want an explosion i would think it would be far more likely for a spark to hit an open powder flask. i posted a video of something similar happening long ago, where a guy is firing a small cannon that he charges out of a plastic bottle of powder, which he leaves open. black powder burns very dirty so you have hot sparks EVERYWHERE when you fire. EVERYWHERE.

Or, at least for cannons, pack too much powder into a barrel forged of poor quality iron and the barrel simply bursts.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Or, at least for cannons, pack too much powder into a barrel forged of poor quality iron and the barrel simply bursts.
forged iron barrels are made of iron slats and iron hoops (it's why we call them "barrels" lol) and if they go, they will split apart catastrophically. cast iron will fragment.

bronze is less brittle so it will just go bloop and bulge like a failing samsung

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

god loving bless

always cover your powder, friends

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

Even if he were right, the snide point about British soldier not being allowed to aim doesn't really go anywhere given the British soldiers being depicted are in the middle of a very successful action.

Also, smoothbore muskets of 18c make aren't THAT inaccurate so long as you're willing to accept that you're only going to take a few shots. It's the buck-and-ball, undersized shot, barrel fouling, and lack of maintenance that makes these weapons particularly inaccurate.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Gunpowder smoke also significantly influenced accuracy, so that implies aiming did make a difference.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And undersized shot to get around fouling still has a range of 75 yards at worst. Tightly fitting bullets can go 200 yards or more accurately. If you can’t hit something at 20 feet, that’s your own drat fault.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

or:
* fire
* doesn't go off, can't hear or feel that it doesn't go off because you're all het up on adrenaline
* reload
* now it goes off with two shots and two charges in it
* oops lol

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

'regiments with old guns were equipped with one 4.5" howitzer regiment and two with 18-pounders' - that second regiment should be 'platoon' right?

Yes, oops.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

or:
* fire
* doesn't go off, can't hear or feel that it doesn't go off because you're all het up on adrenaline
* reload
* now it goes off with two shots and two charges in it
* oops lol

IIRC they also found some napoleonic muskets found that had like 5+ shots rammed in there, never fired because the soldier forgot to prime the pan or didn't notice his flint got hosed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Power horns didn't go completely, not sure if this was the case with other countries by British Napoleonic Riflemen of the 60th and 95th had horns issued to them to give a little extra range to their shots.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Little late to jokes but:
When the British planes attack, the Germans take cover.
When the German planes attack, the Allies take cover.
When the American planes attack, everyone takes cover.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I was expecting soldiers to make more poo poo, piss, and cock jokes.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tias posted:

A Czech angrily busts into his local police station, demanding justice. The police chief asks what crime he wishes to report, and he says that two Swiss soldiers stole his Russian watch.

The officer mulls this over, then asks slowly "Citizen, that doesn't sound likely. Surely, it is more likely the case that two Russian soldiers stole your Swiss watch?

"Yes" The man agrees, adding "but that was you saying so, not me."
Related-

A Russian man walks into the local KGB office, and tells them that his parrot has been stolen.

The KGB officer on duty sympathizes, but tells the man that surely this is a matter for the civil police?

Of course, says the man, and he's going to them next. He's just here to tell the KGB that he disagrees entirely with whatever the parrot says.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I was expecting soldiers to make more poo poo, piss, and cock jokes.

Admittedly, this comes from Wikipedia on Russian jokes, but-

A local Russian duchess throws a grand ball, and invites everybody who's anybody.

She dances first with a local merchant. "Oh," she says, "Monsieur Merchant, you have a dip of sauce on your collar."

He goes white with shame and walks off with his head hanging low.

She dances with a minor noble. "M'lord Duke, you have a stain on your tunic."

He faints dead away.

She dances with a captain of hussars. "M'sieur Captain, you have mud on your boots."

"That's not mud, ma'am, that's poo poo. Don't worry, it'll fall off once it dries."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TerminalSaint posted:

Little late to jokes but:
When the German planes attack, the Allies take cover.

Nah, the correct version is:
When the German planes attack, nobody takes cover.

(the joke is the German planes never attack)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HEY GUNS posted:

thie one is from east germany

why do the volkspolizei travel in threes? one can read, one can write, and the last one is there to keep an eye on those intellectuals

I always heard this about Carabinieri

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When you see a silver plane, it’s the americans. A green plane, the british. No planes? The Luftwaffe!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

i don't think so, iirc the Swedes developed it during the 30yw and then a lot of people experimented with some variant of fire-by-platoon in that weird period nobody cares about between the 1650s and the War of Spanish Succession

bear in mind that until the very end of that time the musketeers are already a fair distance apart

edit: and they don't have horns anyway, for firing they have a rack of tiny bottles made out of wood or horn slung around their body, or a belt pouch of paper cartridges; for priming they have a square flask made of horn, bone, or metal

Wasn't it Maurice of Nassau who invented it in Europe. And the Han Dynasty had already used it with crossbows.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I had a dream I was firing one last night at a tree because of that dummy except it was a matchlock and it wouldn't shoot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

forged iron barrels are made of iron slats and iron hoops (it's why we call them "barrels" lol) and if they go, they will split apart catastrophically. cast iron will fragment.

bronze is less brittle so it will just go bloop and bulge like a failing samsung

I can name one age of sail game where bronze cannons is far and away the most important upgrade to get for your ship. Not only does it reduce the chance of cannons bursting, it makes it so when a cannon does burst it merely destroys the cannon instead of killing potentially everyone in a ten foot radius and sometimes starting a fire. :v:

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
During the Winter War a Soviet general is visiting the frontline when he hears someone shout from over a hill:
"One Finnish soldier can take on ten Soviets!"

The general will not take this insult and quickly send ten soldiers across the hill. There is a bunch of gunfire and then everything is quiet for a while until the general hears a second call:
"One Finnish soldier can take on a hundred Soviets!"

A hundred soldiers are sent in a similar fashion. There is gunfire and explosions, and a while later, someone shouts:
"One Finnish soldier can take on a thousand Soviets!"

The general is thoroughly disturbed and sends all units he can call up on short notice including a tank platoon, a bit more than a thousand all told. There is rifle and machine gun fire, smoke and explosions, trees fall over and the ground quakes.
After a while, a bleeding Soviet soldier comes crawling through the snow.
"Please do not send any more General, there are two of them"

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Most of those are "insert nationality" jokes instead of specifically Russian jokes.

But that makes me wonder if there is any credible source of research on what is the oldest occurrence of those jokes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tonberrytoby posted:

Most of those are "insert nationality" jokes instead of specifically Russian jokes.

I love the Latvian jokes. I have no idea why Latvia was chosen as the butt of them, but they're great. And dumb.

Knock knock.
Who is?
Is milkman.
Oh, wonderful, have not had milk many months. Please to come in.
Am tell joke. Is secret police.

What did man with one potato say to man with two potato?
Premise ridiculous, nobody have two potato.

Is so cold.
How cold is?
Very. Also is dark.

Why is 6 afraid 7?
Because 7 have many friend politburo.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

darthbob88 posted:

Related-

A Russian man walks into the local KGB office, and tells them that his parrot has been stolen.

The KGB officer on duty sympathizes, but tells the man that surely this is a matter for the civil police?

Of course, says the man, and he's going to them next. He's just here to tell the KGB that he disagrees entirely with whatever the parrot says.

Admittedly, this comes from Wikipedia on Russian jokes, but-

A local Russian duchess throws a grand ball, and invites everybody who's anybody.

She dances first with a local merchant. "Oh," she says, "Monsieur Merchant, you have a dip of sauce on your collar."

He goes white with shame and walks off with his head hanging low.

She dances with a minor noble. "M'lord Duke, you have a stain on your tunic."

He faints dead away.

She dances with a captain of hussars. "M'sieur Captain, you have mud on your boots."

"That's not mud, ma'am, that's poo poo. Don't worry, it'll fall off once it dries."

It's not just any Hussar captain, this is Poruchik (Lieutenant) Rzehvskiy, who is a famous character in Russian jokes and often prominently appears in jokes alongside War and Peace characters.

---

Lieutenant Rzhevskiy is telling a story to his men.
"I was walking through a forest one day, when I saw a great big..."
"rear end!" the men yell.
"No, no, a great big clearing. And in the clearing I saw a great big..."
"rear end!"
"No, not an rear end! In the clearing there was a great big house. And I opened the doors to the house, and in the house I saw a great big..."
"rear end!"
"No, it was a great big reception hall! And in the end of the hall, I saw a door. I opened it and saw a great big..."
"rear end!"
"Wow, how did you know? Have I told this story before?"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phanatic posted:

I love the Latvian jokes. I have no idea why Latvia was chosen as the butt of them, but they're great. And dumb.

Knock knock.
Who is?
Is milkman.
Oh, wonderful, have not had milk many months. Please to come in.
Am tell joke. Is secret police.

What did man with one potato say to man with two potato?
Premise ridiculous, nobody have two potato.

Is so cold.
How cold is?
Very. Also is dark.

Why is 6 afraid 7?
Because 7 have many friend politburo.

http://www.chrisconnollyonline.com/2013/04/195-history-and-origins-of-latvian-jokes.html

tldr:

quote:

Latvian jokes began as an instant messenger conversation between me and Ky Henderson. I was writing a book about the three years I spent living in Latvia and Ky was an editor at a magazine. I was working on a chapter about the Latvians' trademark 'black humor' and I wrote a quick joke and messaged it to Ky.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's not just any Hussar captain, this is Poruchik (Lieutenant) Rzehvskiy, who is a famous character in Russian jokes and often prominently appears in jokes alongside War and Peace characters.
hussars.parchment

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ensign Expendable posted:

---

Lieutenant Rzhevskiy is telling a story to his men.
"I was walking through a forest one day, when I saw a great big..."
"rear end!" the men yell.
"No, no, a great big clearing. And in the clearing I saw a great big..."
"rear end!"
"No, not an rear end! In the clearing there was a great big house. And I opened the doors to the house, and in the house I saw a great big..."
"rear end!"
"No, it was a great big reception hall! And in the end of the hall, I saw a door. I opened it and saw a great big..."
"rear end!"
"Wow, how did you know? Have I told this story before?"
I also love the ultimate Hussar joke-

A local countess is celebrating her 50th birthday, and invites the Hussar regiment to come and join.

The countess brags about the gifts she's gotten so far. "Captain Chekhov has given me a box of 50 scented candles from China. I was so taken with them that I put them in the 7 candleholders you see, each with 7 stems. Aren't they lovely? But this has left me with an extra candle. Where can I stick it?"

Every man in the regiment takes a deep breath...and is cut off when the colonel yells "Hussars! Not a word!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

A one-and-done bomb update for the "MK" series of Chemical, Incendiary, and Smoke bombs. Which of the bombs on display today is prone to leaking, and which one uses "waste"? How long do the various smoke bombs last? Why does the smoke bomb require at least 40 feet of water? Would it work if not dropped in water? All that and more at the blog!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shove it Carl Sagan

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Perestroika posted:

IIRC they also found some napoleonic muskets found that had like 5+ shots rammed in there, never fired because the soldier forgot to prime the pan or didn't notice his flint got hosed.

I've heard similar things in the US Civil War. But the impression I got was the soldier is under so much stress that they're only thinking about loading and aren't even thinking to fire.

Speaking of, does anyone know anything about Firing Drills in the Civil War? I've never heard anything specific, but guessed they were basically non-existent and were more or less free fire like Revolutionary France attempted for a while.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Shove it Carl Sagan

any one of these would make a magnificent av

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HEY GUNS posted:

any one of these would make a magnificent av

Yeah I kind of want to make one with the "my children like to hear about the time their father was exposed to atomic radiation" and have it just kind of scrolling through the faces.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

His wife apparently could not be reached for comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

thanks for posting these!