Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Spanish Manlove posted:

A Darth Vader slasher flick would be kinda on brand where he's hunting Jedi/rebels or whatever. It would probably be a little too much like Alien because thered have to be a scene of someone hiding and silently panicking because all they can hear is his respirator, then the breathing stops suddenly and his lightsaber turns on and he's right in front of them.

Or redo resident evil nemesis but star wars and nemesis is Darth Vader.

There were rumors of stuff like this being the early Rogue One script. Like there would be hushed whispers among the rebellion of a new Imperial super weapon that didn’t leave any survivors and left entire platoons ripped apart, like the urban legend exposition part of a slasher film. The ‘choke on your ambitions’ scene was a late add, the first time Vader shows up would be the lightsaber powering on in the dark hallway and you realize exactly what they’ve been whispering about all movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There were rumors of stuff like this being the early Rogue One script. Like there would be hushed whispers among the rebellion of a new Imperial super weapon that didn’t leave any survivors and left entire platoons ripped apart, like the urban legend exposition part of a slasher film. The ‘choke on your ambitions’ scene was a late add, the first time Vader shows up would be the lightsaber powering on in the dark hallway and you realize exactly what they’ve been whispering about all movie.

https://imgur.com/4cETkOc.gifv

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Honestly the prequels should have gone:

Episode I: Doomed love story + start of Clone Wars.

Episode II: Anakin's fall from grace.

Episode III: 110 minutes of Darth Vader hunting down Jedi while Obi-Wan tries to stay one step ahead.

If you haven't read the Revenge of the Sith novelization, do it. Matthew Stover practically fixes the whole prequel trilogy retroactively and turns the movie into a more psychological, philosophical action thriller. He cuts out the worst stuff, fixes actors' reactions and lines to be less comical, and dedicates a lot of pages to expanding everyone's characterization and filling in plot holes so their decisions and motivations make sense. It comes out as the movie George Lucas had in his head but just couldn't figure out when he held sole creative control.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MEAN_YEENS/status/1142643019067383808

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

A Darth Vader slasher flick would be kinda on brand where he's hunting Jedi/rebels or whatever. It would probably be a little too much like Alien because thered have to be a scene of someone hiding and silently panicking because all they can hear is his respirator, then the breathing stops suddenly and his lightsaber turns on and he's right in front of them.

Or redo resident evil nemesis but star wars and nemesis is Darth Vader.

mind the walrus posted:

Honestly the prequels should have gone:

Episode I: Doomed love story + start of Clone Wars.

Episode II: Anakin's fall from grace.

Episode III: 110 minutes of Darth Vader hunting down Jedi while Obi-Wan tries to stay one step ahead.
drat those sound cool

Data Graham posted:

obi-wan, smiling wistfully: "He was a good friend"
Lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Omg yes, I would love an alien esqu slasher with this theme going. The twist ending is that one of the crew members is a fugitive Jedi in secret and Vader is killing the crew one by one to draw out the Jedi into proving he's a Jedi, or perhaps turn them to the dark side.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
My favorite part in Rogue One was where Vader is slashing through the corridor then force lifts a dude slamming him into the ceiling, then on the fall from the ceiling Vader slashes his rear end in two like a serious “gently caress that guy in particular” move.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

If you haven't read the Revenge of the Sith novelization, do it. Matthew Stover practically fixes the whole prequel trilogy retroactively and turns the movie into a more psychological, philosophical action thriller. He cuts out the worst stuff, fixes actors' reactions and lines to be less comical, and dedicates a lot of pages to expanding everyone's characterization and filling in plot holes so their decisions and motivations make sense. It comes out as the movie George Lucas had in his head but just couldn't figure out when he held sole creative control.

Stover missed the point of the movie and rewrote the Jedi to be cool and badass defenders of peace and justice, especially Obi Wan who becomes literally the Jedi ideal of a humble hero in perfect communion with The Force.

This despite much of the plot being driven by the Jedi's arrogance and hubris and the stated fact that while sitting in their ivory tower protecting the interests of the government instead of the people they've lost touch with The Force and can't see any of the threats in their midst. And despite both actors playing Obi Wan as a showboating liar (from a certain point of view) in way over his head even after he's dead.

It's less a "fix" and more "the story fans who didn't understand either trilogy wanted".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

If you haven't read the Revenge of the Sith novelization, do it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8

Just watch the Auralnauts versions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sassassin posted:

Stover missed the point of the movie and rewrote the Jedi to be cool and badass defenders of peace and justice, especially Obi Wan who becomes literally the Jedi ideal of a humble hero in perfect communion with The Force.

This despite much of the plot being driven by the Jedi's arrogance and hubris and the stated fact that while sitting in their ivory tower protecting the interests of the government instead of the people they've lost touch with The Force and can't see any of the threats in their midst. And despite both actors playing Obi Wan as a showboating liar (from a certain point of view) in way over his head even after he's dead.

It's less a "fix" and more "the story fans who didn't understand either trilogy wanted".

That’s the exact opposite of the plot though? He even has Yoda admit that they lost to the Sith because they had grown complacent and were unprepared for how the galaxy changed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love how many people confuse seeing intent with competent execution. The prequels aren't subtle about their goals-- "so this is how democracy dies..." but they suck on-toast. Yeah, yeah "but the 1977 Star Wars is so radical and betrays expectations it's true to the spirit" I bet loving all of you pissed and moaned about The Last Jedi for the exact same reasons. At this point Star Wars has become the default reference point for space opera, and while you can respect the prequels' intent it wasn't what anyone outside of George Lucas himself wanted to see.

Meme tax as penance for that NERD poo poo:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

This is the correct Star Wars opinion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mind the walrus posted:

Meme tax as penance for that NERD poo poo:

Didn't The Flaming Lips do this for realsies?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Memento posted:

Didn't The Flaming Lips do this for realsies?

Yeah, I have never listened to it but have heard of it. ”Zaireeka”.

quote:

The album consists of four Compact Discs designed so that when played simultaneously on four separate audio systems, they would produce a harmonic or juxtaposed sound; the discs could also be played in different combinations, omitting one, two or three discs. Each of its eight songs consists of four stereo tracks, one from each CD.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, I have never listened to it but have heard of it. ”Zaireeka”.

Easiest way I've found to listen to this is find four friends that have access to cars with CD players, drive them out to a field, and park them in a circle. But don't do drugs and drive kids.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The analogy-- one drink won't kill you, but the bartender doesn't have a drink with every person who orders either

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

The analogy-- one drink won't kill you, but the bartender doesn't have a drink with every person who orders either

you're going to the wrong bars

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

X-rays are not perfectly harmless at any dose whatsoever, and the risk of a single radiograph, though small, is not small enough to be negligible

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

freeedr posted:

X-rays are not perfectly harmless at any dose whatsoever, and the risk of a single radiograph, though small, is not small enough to be negligible

Are you trying to start a derail?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

central dogma posted:

Are you trying to start a derail?

gently caress you, stand-wiper

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Do you think Jotaro uses Star Platinum to wipe his rear end? I bet Polnareff does

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't JoJo but are the Stands like, separate sentient creatures or are they like pets, or more like genies, or just aspects of the person who has them? Could work under any of those circumstances but some are gonna be less weird than others.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I don't JoJo but are the Stands like, separate sentient creatures or are they like pets, or more like genies, or just aspects of the person who has them? Could work under any of those circumstances but some are gonna be less weird than others.

It depends. Most of them are aspects, like an extra limb with magic powers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So not weird at all. Sounds like it'd be useful during a shower to get the tough parts on my back.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

Easiest way I've found to listen to this is find four friends that have access to cars with CD players, drive them out to a field, and park them in a circle. But don't do drugs and drive kids.

Back in college I lived in a three bedroom house with two other guys, we each had stereos in our rooms plus there was one in the living room, so we got my roommate's girlfriend to man the living room stereo and all pressed play at once then converged in the middle of the house. It was a one time thing definitely but it was pretty cool.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Geddy Krueger posted:

Do you think Jotaro uses Star Platinum to wipe his rear end? I bet Polnareff does

Polnareff has never been able to take a poo poo without being attacked by a stand, he doesn't have the luxury of wiping his rear end.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

mind the walrus posted:

They're an immune system response to an alien ghost virus, hope that clears things up

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They're an immune system response to an alien ghost virus, hope that clears things up

JoJo sounds like so much fun in abstract but the series was terribly boring to watch.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Heard it in my head and laughed out loud at work.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

JoJo sounds like so much fun in abstract but the series was terribly boring to watch.

drat, that's one extremely wrong opinion right there!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
the first arc is shockingly boring, but boy howdy does it take off after that

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Two control rods, chillin in a hot reactor core, five feet apart cuz they got manually retracted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

the first arc is shockingly boring, but boy howdy does it take off after that

When does that start? I'll have to give it another chance.