Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Could be some kind of software glitch or failing hardware too. Probably worth trying a restore, and if that doesn’t work a repair shop should be able to plug in a new headset jack/charging port cable and see if that fixes it.

If not, the audio IC is probably on the way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So ever since Apple news+ they’ve been putting an Apple News+ section in their News app under its own banner (like there would be trending news, for you, news+, etc). Now I’m seeing news+ stories show up directly under the other sections like “for you” etc. Has it always been like this or is this recent? Either way this ruins the app for me and I hope their foray into this fails hard for shoving advertisements in my face since there’s no way to blacklist them like I could every other news source in the app.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 19, 2019

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

tuyop posted:

My activities app is doing this.

Does the grey area override the workouts.app? Are they additive? Should I not use the workouts app and only use the strong app when I’m lifting?

I haven’t used Activity and a separate app to record a workout so I don’t know how that‘d affect anything but that looks the same as recording a workout with Strava except it’ll read „Strava“ next to the gray area.

You should only use one app to record, yeah. At least give it a shot and see if it affects anything. It probably won’t count as a „workout“ (like for the 7 workouts a week badge) for some reason. If that’s important to you, recording with Activity and Strong makes sense.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

So ever since Apple news+ they’ve been putting an Apple News+ section in their News app under its own banner (like there would be trending news, for you, news+, etc). Now I’m seeing news+ stories show up directly under the other sections like “for you” etc. Has it always been like this or is this recent? Either way this ruins the app for me and I hope their foray into this fails hard for shoving advertisements in my face since there’s no way to blacklist them like I could every other news source in the app.

They’ve become much more aggressive with sprinkling it in with “free” news articles in the last few weeks.

I have a feeling that it’s not had the level of paid engagement they were projecting so now they’re being much more blatant with trying to tempt with articles locked behind their paywall. It also seems like the general feed is not updating as often as it used to. I wouldn’t say it ruins the app for me, but it does make me far less likely to check it as often as I used to.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I recall seeing articles saying that publishers were disappointed or something so I guess I see why they’d do this.

But all it makes me do is want to open it less so yeah.

Also, if you mark an article as “hate speech” the content disappears so it’s no longer in your face. It leaves big empty spaces where it should be though but eh. Sorry to whatever intern has to classify why an article about a puppy was marked as hate speech.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zwille posted:

You should only use one app to record, yeah. At least give it a shot and see if it affects anything. It probably won’t count as a „workout“ (like for the 7 workouts a week badge) for some reason. If that’s important to you, recording with Activity and Strong makes sense.

Alright, I’ll give that a go. My poor badges. :goonsay:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This new 13 update seems to have fixed a bug I was having with unnecessary mail icon notifications, which is good because my lizard brain hates seeing that red dot on the icon.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/18/hands-on-2019-iphone-dummy-models/

The 2019 iPhones are shaping up to be real stinkers. I’m actually contemplating getting an older-gen model to tide me over until 2020.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just lol at adding even more cameras. It's no longer a lens bump, it's a piece of real estate.

Real glad I bought the XS, give Apple a couple years to right this ship.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah that’s the laziest loving design and I hate it and I’ll just buy out the XS and not upgrade. MKHDB did a video with them and... it’s not great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rie69P0W668

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

And since I own an actual camera I don’t really give a poo poo anyway, I’m only ever gonna use this to scan documents and my ancient broken iPhone 6 already does a decent job of that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wengy posted:

The 2019 iPhones are shaping up to be real stinkers. I’m actually contemplating getting an older-gen model to tide me over until 2020.

Yeah, it took me a good bit of convincing to upgrade from a X to a XS last year, mostly I was able to sell my X for a good amount that made it worth it. Not sure if I’m going to do that again this September, that doesn’t look exciting (granted, I say that every year).

The iPhone X/XS design I’ve been very happy with. Perfect balance of size (as in not too big), edge to edge screen and OLED screen. I don’t take enough pictures where extra cameras makes me want to upgrade. You can probably find a good deal on the iPhone X, a lot of phone carriers seem to have extra inventory so they tend to go on sale more often than the XS.

Wengy posted:

And since I own an actual camera I don’t really give a poo poo anyway, I’m only ever gonna use this to scan documents and my ancient broken iPhone 6 already does a decent job of that.

I feel like phone cameras are at the point where they have way too many features and cameras for your average person who doesn’t do anything but have it take pictures. On the other side, they aren’t at a point where super camera people are going to have it replace their high cameras.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Can’t wait for another across the board $200 price bump, ostensibly justified by whatever camera innards are stuffed into that big square wart

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Clark Nova posted:

Can’t wait for another across the board $200 price bump, ostensibly justified by whatever camera innards are stuffed into that big square wart

*cranes neck to see price drops on macbooks*

:thunk:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am still pretty happy with my X. I will probably end up replacing the battery before I buy a new phone unless something amazing pops up in 20/21

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm gonna keep my XS for 4 years like I did the Nexus 6 before it. I will never understand upgrading phones every year.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah if that's all 2019 is bringing to the table and 2020 has all this rumored hotness I'm pretty comfortable with my X.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll get it if T-Mobile has a good deal to switch carriers, but that's it. I'll just use my Verizon X with a good modem on there if not.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
if this is the year of lazy upgrades they should just cram a terabyte in there and hype it up.

yes I'm the guy syncing a music library to his phone in 2019!

but for something less edge-casey, a higher-quality camera always demands more storage. 4K video and all that. do it, Apple.

Do cases for the current phones make the bump flush? I've gone minimalist lately, but it'd be a decent selling point for a case if it takes care of that whole camera island. btw I assume that bump wouldn't raise the phone enough to cause an issue with wireless charging? cuz that'd be a hell of a __-gate for this year.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 19, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wengy posted:

I'm holding onto my X for another year lol

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I’m in a race to see if they can figure out a way to get rid of the Notch before my iPhone 7 loses support

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Just lol at adding even more cameras. It's no longer a lens bump, it's a piece of real estate.

Real glad I bought the XS, give Apple a couple years to right this ship.

Can't see the bump going away unless they make the whole phone thicker. I think you're delaing with physics limitations with the lenses and focal lengths and sensor sizes (and related light gathering abilities).

But the bump doesn't bother me because I always use a case which eliminates the protrusion. And if the whole phone were thicker, then it would be even thicker with a case, so I prefer a bump to something flush. But that square bump is way uglier than the current two lens bumps, that's for sure.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have an 8 and have absolutely no desire to upgrade right now. Maybe in 2 or 3 years.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

I have an 8 and have absolutely no desire to upgrade right now. Maybe in 2 or 3 years.

:hfive:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Letting it ride on my 6s surviving another year!

Still on the OG battery and leather case. It looks like a dried up turd on a bad stretch of road but hey it still works.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have an XS and probably won't upgrade until:

No notch
Full screen TouchID (FaceID can stay too but give me back my TouchID)

And also I've had to go back to using my iPhone 7 for the past week or so and drat I had forgotten what a good form factor that was. I looked it up and it's just ever-so-slightly thinner and lighter than the XS, but somehow it makes a big difference. Battery life was crappier though. So make it thinner and lighter but somehow keep the same battery capacity ok apple thx

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But the bump doesn't bother me because I always use a case which eliminates the protrusion. And if the whole phone were thicker, then it would be even thicker with a case, so I prefer a bump to something flush.

Yeah that's the naked robotic core philosophy

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I’m in a race to see if they can figure out a way to get rid of the Notch before my iPhone 7 loses support

The notch is 100% fine and not a big deal at all.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Luceo posted:

I'm gonna keep my XS for 4 years like I did the Nexus 6 before it. I will never understand upgrading phones every year.

I was an every other year upgrader, seemed like usually either there was a new feature I wanted or my old phone was starting to chug or have other issues.

I've got an XS Max now, and unless there's some major change to the cell phone landscape in the next few years, I think I'm going to hang onto it as long as I can.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Its completely lost functionality for me and might be the thing that runs me off the platform, dongles and all. I _could_ operate this laptop if you cut some rectangles out of the screen and gave me nothing in exchange, but why would I?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can't see the bump going away unless they make the whole phone thicker. I think you're delaing with physics limitations with the lenses and focal lengths and sensor sizes (and related light gathering abilities).

But the bump doesn't bother me because I always use a case which eliminates the protrusion. And if the whole phone were thicker, then it would be even thicker with a case, so I prefer a bump to something flush. But that square bump is way uglier than the current two lens bumps, that's for sure.

Or the could go the Droid X route and extend the bump all the way across the phone so it doesn't wobble on a flat surface, and even tilts the screen toward you a bit. Oh, and it didn't snag on your pocket either. That was such a good phone, even having a dedicated physical camera shutter button. :allears:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is the new fall iPhone getting 5G or is that another year out?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

5g would be a huge disaster considering how lovely the chips that allow for 5g are.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Its completely lost functionality for me and might be the thing that runs me off the platform, dongles and all. I _could_ operate this laptop if you cut some rectangles out of the screen and gave me nothing in exchange, but why would I?
They could just have not done a notch at all and made it all bezel up there. If it makes you feel better imagine they just added little screen ears onto the bezel.

And how much functionality have you lost? Carrier name while unlocked?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Is the new fall iPhone getting 5G or is that another year out?

All rumors point to 2020, which makes this year’s Intel-modemed phone even more of a turd.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

USB-C might have tempted me to upgrade from a XS, sad as that makes me, but this is just...no.

Just tossing out incremental upgrades out of obligation to the annual release schedule.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wengy posted:

I'm not into it at all, either. Three circles in a triangular arrangement within a rounded square, with the flash LED just lumped the gently caress in there. Why not just a longer straight line, like the X/XS?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The market is reacting accordingly, people are holding on to their phones an extra year or two before upgrading. I’ll wait until their 5G model hits before upgrading mine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This. Notch doesn’t bother me at all. That said, I don’t blame someone keeping an iPhone 8, still a solid phone.

xzzy posted:

5g would be a huge disaster considering how lovely the chips that allow for 5g are.

Also this. I don’t know what carriers are going to do about 5G, it just seems like an impending disaster, but they can’t think of anything better so they’ll just market it and force it on people.

I’d be good with 5G for faster speeds, even if it impacts battery life, but man is it a bad idea putting it on high frequencies. Boggles my mind when 4G was marketed in part on low frequencies (for Verizon and ATT at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've seen investor meetings where institutions bring up the reasonable question of why the telco should spend billions in 5G infrastructure when AR{U is not expected to rise and the answer is somewhere between "I dunno" and "someone else will do it first".