Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The thing about mounted combat that always sucked in basically every game ever is having attacks that both have tiny loving hitboxes pretty much right next to the player, and have a miniscule duration. So you pretty much have to either stand right next to enemies whacking them repeatedly which misses the point of mounted combat, or you have to attack with frame perfect accuracy as you run by because otherwise you miss. I haven't played Elden Ring yet, but the bigger swings and the fact that you can ready an attack seems like it solves both issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's good

https://i.imgur.com/5pOiXKf.mp4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kit Walker posted:

The thing about mounted combat that always sucked in basically every game ever is having attacks that both have tiny loving hitboxes pretty much right next to the player, and have a miniscule duration. So you pretty much have to either stand right next to enemies whacking them repeatedly which misses the point of mounted combat, or you have to attack with frame perfect accuracy as you run by because otherwise you miss. I haven't played Elden Ring yet, but the bigger swings and the fact that you can ready an attack seems like it solves both issues

Yeah it owns, it's the only game I've ever played that makes it fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though the Giant Horse in Breath of the Wild is still hard to beat.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

oldpainless posted:

Elden Ring has an obviously dead person in a pool of blood with a huge blood covered sword next to the body and when you press the prompt to examine them it says “they’re dead”

Nothing in these games is obviously dead unless you've personally slain it and letters on the screen say that you've defeated it.

And even that is not 100% foolproof.

*monkey's paw unfurls and grabs its decapitated head*

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Mar 4, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Montague Tigg posted:

I like how the donkey goat horse in elden ring is better than every single video game horse up to this point in history.

you don't have to play a song or some bullshit to summon it, and when you do summon it you don't have to wait 10 minutes for it to go around an entire goddamn mountain or doggy paddle its way to you because you were slightly too close to it for it to respawn near you.

I also really like how it stops and goes when you want it to stop and go.

there's one area that has a lot of rooftops that are fun to jump around on too.

Also when you turn around in a tight spot, it manages to do it without looking stupid or careening you off of a cliff

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Kit Walker posted:

Try Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. Riding through hundreds of enemy archers scoring dozens and dozens of kills while mounted with an executioner's axe, with the flaming arrows mod installed during a night battle, is an excellent experience. That game has by far the best mounted combat of any game ever.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I haven't fired my copy up because I don't have free time until the weekend, but I just saw a tiktok with two mild spoilers about the rear end in a top hat moves Elden Ring pulls that I am absolutely in love with :allears:

Not only are there nested illusory walls, there's a Great Hollow-level amount of them at one point. Three in a row. Classic.

The guy also mentioned he found something new as well: an illusory floor.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

thecluckmeme posted:

I haven't fired my copy up because I don't have free time until the weekend, but I just saw a tiktok with two mild spoilers about the rear end in a top hat moves Elden Ring pulls that I am absolutely in love with :allears:

Not only are there nested illusory walls, there's a Great Hollow-level amount of them at one point. Three in a row. Classic.

The guy also mentioned he found something new as well: an illusory floor.

If you play online, it’ll be ruined for you because of the sheer amount of messages in front of the walls in question

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of souls, I just found out that the Moonlight Butterfly is based on a real creature - the dragontail butterfly.

https://i.imgur.com/dUxyCzj.mp4

Had no idea it existed.

I thought it was the luna moth, it even has moon in it's name.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There's more than one?

!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I assumed the Moonlight Butterfly borrowed its name from Turn-A Gundam, but I don't think any actual evidence aside from an identical name was ever there for that.

Turn-A is exactly the Gundam that Miyazaki would've lifted from if any, though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of souls, I just found out that the Moonlight Butterfly is based on a real creature - the dragontail butterfly.

https://i.imgur.com/dUxyCzj.mp4

Had no idea it existed.

whats the frame rate of this mp4? i wonder what it would look like with ancient cams/video and if it would look like the coolest rod ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_(optical_phenomenon)) ever.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's more than one?

!

There are at least 12 species of moth

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Philippe posted:

I played that game for a hundred and fifty hours and I had no idea. Goddamn.

Even better, that mechanic has existed since AC2.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Aphrodite posted:

Even better, that mechanic has existed since AC2.

NO

I've played all the drat games and I had no idea

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Philippe posted:

NO

I've played all the drat games and I had no idea

lol

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I think most of the Assassin's Creed games also have the ability to jump directly onto your horse; that is, if you're jumping off a building and aim towards the horse, you'll automatically land in its saddle like a old Western. I was mildly disappointed to find that you can't pull that off in Horizon.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

If you play online, it’ll be ruined for you because of the sheer amount of messages in front of the walls in question

That's debatable because every single wall that's even vaguely flat enough to look like it might hide a secret passage will have a "hidden path ahead" message in front of it, and you'll probably be numb to them after a while.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Triarii posted:

That's debatable because every single wall that's even vaguely flat enough to look like it might hide a secret passage will have a "hidden path ahead" message in front of it, and you'll probably be numb to them after a while.

At least in my experience most of those also have a "Liar ahead" message BUT I still smack my sword against a lot of walls, haven't found any yet even though just from reading spoilers I know there are some somewhere.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

At least in my experience most of those also have a "Liar ahead" message BUT I still smack my sword against a lot of walls, haven't found any yet even though just from reading spoilers I know there are some somewhere.

Weapon durability is gone, so there's really no reason not to smash your claymore into every other cliff wall

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Great Ace Attorney generally isn't subtle about a lot of things, but there's a bit that's really fun when it clicks in the last case of the first game.

One seemingly incidental character, who AA veterans will have alarm bells go off about him being IMPORTANT later, is a handsome and dapper gentleman in the more 'serious' style style and proportions and a suit all in white, who when pressed is surprisingly prone to dramatic poses and gestures that combined with his outfit make him almost like a Jojo character. Which is nowhere near the most eccentric for a AA side character, even for this case, but it stands out.
Then later in the same case we're introduced to the Skulkin Brothers, two cartoonish crooks who recall the kind of villains you'd see in early 20th century cartoons, and are presented, interestingly, as a trio down one member, and have adopted Inspector Gregson as their third for the testimony, much to his distinct unamusement. They've even got their own goofy poses, which they look expectantly to Gregson to join in.
It all comes together RIGHT at the end of the game, in the mid credits scene even, where the man in white and the Skulkin Brothers are together again, revealed to be old accomplices- and you realise that his bizarrely goofy poses are his own version of the brothers' unifying mannerisms, which they presumably all developed together during their formative years as petty juvenile crooks. And they maintain enough of a connection to apparently plan a breakout and seek seemingly honest employment. You don't expect a connection between characters depicted in such different art styles, but realise the connecting factor is the animation.

A fun thing considering how much the game uses running gags, mannerisms and gestures shared between old friends, family members and people with thematic connections.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

I was mildly disappointed to find that you can't pull that off in Horizon.

You can though?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess it’s a very little thing but I like these spirt jellyfish that are just vibing in Elden Ring. They’re the very rare “enemy” that doesn’t aggro unless you draw first blood and mostly they seem helpful since they seem to like hovering around dungeons that aren’t super conspicuous. They’re just neat!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Last Celebration posted:

I guess it’s a very little thing but I like these spirt jellyfish that are just vibing in Elden Ring. They’re the very rare “enemy” that doesn’t aggro unless you draw first blood and mostly they seem helpful since they seem to like hovering around dungeons that aren’t super conspicuous. They’re just neat!

Hell yeah I love all the non aggroing friends around in the game. :3:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

As a little treat the jellyfish summon you can get is one of the most useful in the game. Poison and a huge HP pool help a lot in a lot of fights.

Her name, apparently, is Aurelia.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I assumed Aurelia was a reference to something in another Souls game, but when I looked it up it turns out it's a reference to actual jellyfish

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
What a twist

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Alhazred posted:

You can though?
Oh, maybe I just wasn't hitting it at the right spot then. Good to know!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've started playing Grow: Song of the Evertree to fill that niche interest in games like Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, etc. where you're out collecting things, performing menial tasks, but overall improving the world a little bit day-by-day and accomplishing new long-term goals. I'm building a town, I'm petting dogs, I'm finding puzzle shrines a la Breath of the Wild, and getting more and more things to decorate. Unlike the other two games, Grow doesn't really have a banger of a soundtrack playing all the time, it's much more subdued and ambient. Even less so than Animal Crossing, which is great background music to the point that I had a Chrome extension which would just play the music of the game hour-by-hour in real time like it would if you just played the game for 24 hours. This sounds like a downside, but I'm not posting in the wrong thread.

This is my catnip for a podcast-listening game. I would sometimes just put on podcasts while playing something like Powerwash Simulator or Solitaire or some other menial thing, but those get boring after a time because it's just the same thing over and over. This is a game that is constantly expanding and complicating the tasks you do on a day-by-day basis, a cozy but involved kind of game that I could binge for hours while interacting with new concepts and aspects of the game being introduced over time. I'm 4 hours in, can see there's a metric shitload more to explore and do, and I'm staring at a podcast going back 4 years that I've barely been able to dent while listening to at work. Going to finish up my IRL daily chores and obligations tomorrow morning, then launch into my daily chores and obligations in-game while listening to a couple comedians recount horrific historic events :shepface:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bussamove posted:

As a little treat the jellyfish summon you can get is one of the most useful in the game. Poison and a huge HP pool help a lot in a lot of fights.

Her name, apparently, is Aurelia.

I’m sure as the game goes on there are going to be better summons (at least situationally) but gently caress if I’ll ever know, Aurelia is real and dead and my new best Soulsborne friend.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Two things about Horizon Forbidden West, but they're not really 'little things':

1.)
The Poseidon quest was absolutely loving gorgeous and really well done. It was also a nice change of pace after Aether being a fairly long questline. Not that that wasn't fun as well and it definitely had it's goddrat moments like fighting your first Tremortusk or the battle in the arena, but the visuals of the Poseidon quests just blew me away. Every step of the way was really rewarding coming to a glorious conclusion. I figured draining underground Las Vegas and returning power to it was an awesome climax, then fighting the Snapway as a warm up for the Tideripper in an amazing environment, but then you walk outside and everything is lit up outside as well and it was unexpected and blew me away.

2.)
The characters have so much goddamn personality and characterization, and I dunno, realism? I'm not that far into the game yet (just did the above today) but the whole relationship between Aloy and Beta is really well done so far. At first it kinda ticked me off how after their first real conversation she walks out and tells Varl how annoyed she is by Beta. It kinda hit home in a way because I work with traumatized kids (many on the spectrum), and her lacking understanding and patience just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Then after the second talk, with Varl being the patient, understanding one kinda coaching Aloy, it clicked when Rost was mentioned and Aloy expressed how she's trying to save the world and just doesn't have time to deal with her own issues, let alone a traumatized kid. It's really refreshing to have a protagonist that has realistic flaws and isn't some kind of superhero. You also see this when she needs something but others won't help her until she solves one of their problems and she gets annoyed, rolls her eyes and kind of deflates but accepts the quest like "pffff, fine. I'm trying to save the world here but arguing is going to be more effort than finding out what happened to your friend, so I'll just get to it." It reminds me of Kassandra in a lot of ways, even though both characters are very different of course.

The game has plenty of flaws and little things to complain about (climbing poo poo still loving sucks) but overall it's exactly what I wanted from a sequel to Zero Dawn.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
elden ring lets you summon the ghosts of ancient heroes and skeleton hordes but two of the uncontested best are a jellyfish and an unhealthy dog

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Taeke posted:

Two things about Horizon Forbidden West, but they're not really 'little things':

1.)
The Poseidon quest was absolutely loving gorgeous and really well done. It was also a nice change of pace after Aether being a fairly long questline. Not that that wasn't fun as well and it definitely had it's goddrat moments like fighting your first Tremortusk or the battle in the arena, but the visuals of the Poseidon quests just blew me away. Every step of the way was really rewarding coming to a glorious conclusion. I figured draining underground Las Vegas and returning power to it was an awesome climax, then fighting the Snapway as a warm up for the Tideripper in an amazing environment, but then you walk outside and everything is lit up outside as well and it was unexpected and blew me away.

The one thing that sours me a bit on the Vegas guys in hindsight is that there are two delvers who give you the Mobile Cover quest and they are the same character models and actors as two of the Vegas guys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lobok posted:

The one thing that sours me a bit on the Vegas guys in hindsight is that there are two delvers who give you the Mobile Cover quest and they are the same character models and actors as two of the Vegas guys.

POSEIDON, while a gorgeous questline as you said, also has another problem writing-wise; Scorched Sands is desperate for a better source of water to sustain their tribe, and thousands of litres of clean filtered water under Hidden Ember should be a much bigger deal in its own right than it's presented as in-game as "merely" a revived Las Vegas with a light show.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Lobok posted:

Which part of that's your favorite little thing?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What makes you so sure they're not supposed to be the same two guys? Maybe they've just got a good racket going.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brian Worms posted:

Which part of that's your favorite little thing?

Admittedly I'm talking about this game in like five different places so I didn't realize it was this thread when I responded.

To make up for it, one little thing in HFW I like is the audio when you turn your Focus on. Even if you don't see anything you can tell where machines are even from afar. I play with a nice pair of headphones so it really makes me the hunter vibes to use my senses scope out my surroundings. And then also sometimes it scares the hell out of me when I didn't realize how close machines are.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Oxxidation posted:

elden ring lets you summon the ghosts of ancient heroes and skeleton hordes but two of the uncontested best are a jellyfish and an unhealthy dog

I like the demi-humans. You summon them and it just turns into a violent mob loving guys up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m partial to the three wolf moon t-shirt summon personally.