Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

virginia is the worst and i cannot wait until NoVA, as terrible as it is, completely subsumes RoVA and all these faux confederates die

If you drive around NoVa at all pretty much every loving restaurant, bar, and "country shop" (the kinds of places that sell "home made" fritters to tourists) has a civil war painting right next to the men's room. It's one of those things that once you notice it you always see it. It's like someone passed a loving law or something, it's more consistent than the signs telling employees to wash their hands before returning to work. It's always one of the really dumb, cheesy, paint by numbers battle scenes with Our Boys In Grey doing something valiant or one of the big name generals striking a pose on a horse.

A while ago I ended up in a random Irish pub out around Mananas just looking for a cold beer and a sandwich around dinner time. Got up to take a piss, and sure enough they had the requisite ACW painting. Only in a loving wonderful snub to the whole surrounding area it was the 69th New York, one of the Union Irish Brigades. I approved heartily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
That reminds me of a joke Abraham Lincoln liked to tell. From a recollection by Abner Ellis.

quote:

It appears that Shortly after we had pease with England Mr Allen had occasion to visit England, and while their the English took Great pleasure in teasing him, and trying to Make fun of the Americans and General Washington in particular and one day they got a picture of General Washington, and hung it up the Back House whare Mr Allen Could see it

and they finally asked Mr A if he saw that picture of his freind in the Back House.

Mr Allen said no. but said he thought that it was a very appropriate for an Englishman to Keep it Why they asked, for said Mr Allen their is Nothing that Will Make an Englishman poo poo So quick as the Sight of Genl Washington And after that they let Mr Allens Washington alone.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Has France ever asked England to return the Eagles they took from Napoleon's troops? That's the closest European analogue I can think of.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They have and no it will never happen.

Don't know why they care too, I am pretty sure both are the rushed 'poo poo poo poo we got to get things going' Hundred Days Eagles anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Closest european analogue would be the Bundesrepublik asking americans to return the various granddaddy’s various looted nazi flags and lugers and etc

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Austria still has the headdress of Moctezuma II* and they refuse to give it away. They didn't even conquer the New World, lazy bastards just got it as a present from their relatives.

*Might not be his or even a headdress.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Closest european analogue would be the Bundesrepublik asking americans to return the various granddaddy’s various looted nazi flags and lugers and etc

There's an organization that works to faciliate the voluntary repatriation of Japanese flags collected in the pacific. The context of these objects is however rather more personal than for typical battle flags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuqtOWDB0ZQ

The flags were mementoes covered with wishes of good luck from friends and family, given to soldiers before they left on deployment. Symbolically they were even said to represent the soldiers spirit. . . or perhaps given some the the responses on their return maybe its more than just a symbol. The organization is named the Obon society and has lots of longer videos, if you don't mind tear jerkers.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't help but feel that if modern Germany did that, it would be solely for the purpose of burning or otherwise destroying them utterly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Daesh demanding their macgyver poo poo back

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Putin asking for Finns to return the Soviet regimental standards captured in Suomussalmi.

Napoleon's army's standards are still on display in Russian churches today. That's something that you wouldn't do with Nazi flags and other later political symbols, I think.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the fact that both parties are in the same country so it's a regional rivalry instead of an international incident also puts a real spin on things. I don't know much about internal relations of other countries though.

I'm sure in Europe where there can be some centuries-old vendettas just hanging around wherever you go there's something like this going on.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like the fact that both parties are in the same country so it's a regional rivalry instead of an international incident also puts a real spin on things. I don't know much about internal relations of other countries though.

I'm sure in Europe where there can be some centuries-old vendettas just hanging around wherever you go there's something like this going on.

I had a professor in Florence whose small hometown in Tuscany had had its church bells sacked by Siena at some point, and he said they all still dislike the Sienese because of it. Of course, he told us about this in the context of talking about his full-time job being at the University of Siena so it's not like it's a real blood feud or anything.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Illinois still has Santa Anna's leg.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Epicurius posted:

Illinois still has Santa Anna's leg.

And Joseph Smith’s body.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Air Force Base in the town I live in returned some church bells looted from the Philippines back in the colonial days

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Agean90 posted:

The Air Force Base in the town I live in returned some church bells looted from the Philippines back in the colonial days

That's a completely different matter, things looted from a colony rather than battle standards earned fair and square.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rockopolis posted:

Isn't Rome II the one with the catapult that shoots bees at people? And scorpions, and snakes, and spiders, depending on faction? Was that ever a thing?

There are historical accounts of bee and scorpion catapults, yes. Just because it was written down doesn't mean it happened but flinging pots full of angry bees/wasps into enemy formations probably would be disruptive.

For the bees, they knew smoke calms them down so they'd get hives smoked up then seal them into clay pots with mud, and bang on the pot to get 'em nice and pissed off then fling it at the enemy. I do not remember who was claimed to do this but I think it was in Anatolia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grand Fromage posted:

There are historical accounts of bee and scorpion catapults, yes. Just because it was written down doesn't mean it happened but flinging pots full of angry bees/wasps into enemy formations probably would be disruptive.

For the bees, they knew smoke calms them down so they'd get hives smoked up then seal them into clay pots with mud, and bang on the pot to get 'em nice and pissed off then fling it at the enemy. I do not remember who was claimed to do this but I think it was in Anatolia.

Basically, you know how people throughout the 20th century have tried all kinds of completely crazy weapons like bat-based incendiaries and homosexuality bombs? That kind of thinking and experimentation has been happening for all of recorded history with whatever means, technology, and potential weapons people have at hand.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why would you not shoot bees at people, if given an opportunity?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

nope it's the 30yw poo poo and yes, they Care

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Lone Badger posted:

I used to play half life

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nenonen posted:

Napoleon's army's standards are still on display in Russian churches today. That's something that you wouldn't do with Nazi flags and other later political symbols, I think.

In then UK the older region focused regiments retired their standards to churches and cathedrals of their home towns/cities. If they aren't hanging up or archived in a museum they in the corner or above the altar no doubt with several others in religious establishment. Of course unless you know your military or local history they will look like very dusty faded rags for the most part.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's gotta be ways to mount this stuff in the floor so all the visitors wipe their shoes on them.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

War crimes tribunals.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Would that bee a warcrime?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rockopolis posted:

Would that bee a warcrime?

a real crime against humanity

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

“According to all known laws of aviation, a bee can’t fly!”

“Like hell they can’t!”

*cocks bee catapult*

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

nope it's the 30yw poo poo and yes, they Care

The Codex Argenteus is perfectly fine where it is, thank you very much.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

InAndOutBrennan posted:

The Codex Argenteus is perfectly fine where it is, thank you very much.
dying for queen christina's library profits

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Animal posted:

That's a completely different matter, things looted from a colony rather than battle standards earned fair and square.

I was just at the Acropolis on vacation and the story of the Elgin marbles is told with a somewhat different perspective than it's told in the London Museum.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In the 2018 environment I'd argue a slave state asking for a confederate battle flag back has a particular nasty political context, in the same way that a confederate or SS re-enactor raises more eyebrows than an imperial pikeman or swedish musketeer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
virginia openly embraces this connotation, for what it's worth

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Nenonen posted:

Putin asking for Finns to return the Soviet regimental standards captured in Suomussalmi.

The Nazi standards are still at the Center Armed Forces Museum in Moscow, displayed in a lovely haphazard pile.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

chitoryu12 posted:

“According to all known laws of aviation, a bee can’t fly!”

“Like hell they can’t!”

*cocks bee catapult*

According to laws of physics the AV-8Bee cannot fly.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oops

fits my needs fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 26, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Col. Stanislav Petrov Saved the World from Nuclear Annihlation Day all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Happy Col. Stanislav Petrov Saved the World from Nuclear Annihlation Day all.

god bless him, memory eternal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That whole thing is kind of a modern internet legend so I wonder if it's overstated at all. Had he reported the incident was escalation certain or would his superiors have also had an opportunity to make the right call?

I mean, "One dude bucks the system and saves the world" is a great story, but often great stories aren't what actually happened.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Escalation was not certain but reasonably likely given the political climate, is my understanding. Petrov's particular concerns about the reliability of the system would likely have been erased from what was passed up the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i can still pray for him because it's his intent and his morality at that instant that makes him a good person. if he had tried and failed, it still would have been a good deed.