Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

This kind of thing is dumb, yes, they are still games, yes, visual novels are games, "walking simulators" and all that poo poo are games, don't cop a crappy 4chins argument just to be mad at Davvid Cayey.

I'm not saying this isn't a game. But it's a game that is basically 95% story and 5% "gameplay" so if the story sucks then there's nothing else to praise.

Man those QTEs sure were fun!

I'm a huge fan of walking simulators that are actually good, What Remains of Edith Finch is a fantastic loving game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The problem with the Alice twist is that it just adds nothing, changes nothing. Alice goes from being a dependant child to being a dependant child, Kara goes from having a strong maternal instinct to having a strong maternal instinct. If you remove a twist from the story and it leaves the story and/or your perception of it unchanged it's not exactly a good twist.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think it makes Todd's situation more interesting. He's going through a torment of his own making, instead of just being a drug addicted abusive parent.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Except outside of one news report Todd is barely a factor again, so why the gently caress should we care? We never deal with his emotional state except in an incredibly surface level manner. He's just a piece of poo poo Cage uses to make us sympathise with Kara and Alice. We never explore how and why a drugged up idiot purchases a surrgoate daughter because, as interesting as that is, the game doesn't care to explore that because it's tripping over its own dick constantly.

How does a drugged up idiot afford two robots and a roomba?

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 11, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
5 dollars for a 6 pack of beer and large chips?!

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
You're really questioning the economy in a universe where you can get your own robot slave for less than the price of a crappy used car?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

that just begs the question why there aren't more rickshaws

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Scorched Spitz posted:

You're really questioning the economy in a universe where you can get your own robot slave for less than the price of a crappy used car?

I can 1% excuse the robots because they don't exist in our world.

Chips and a tall 6 pack is not 5 bucks anywhere, especially in 20 years

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Deleter posted:

Except outside of one news report Todd is barely a factor again, so why the gently caress should we care? We never deal with his emotional state except in an incredibly surface level manner. He's just a piece of poo poo Cage uses to make us sympathise with Kara and Alice. We never explore how and why a drugged up idiot purchases a surrgoate daughter because, as interesting as that is, the game doesn't care to explore that because it's tripping over its own dick constantly.

You're right, Todd isn't a character, he's just a contrivance to get the actual characters to the next contrivance. Though I'll say, there are a bunch of unpaid bills, credit card applications, and so on that show Todd is not exactly spending within his means. It's a rare instance of actually good mise en scene from Quantic.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

God hand was a very comfy lp

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Okay, I thought Matt's side would be the most boring out of the three the second time through, but the gunthrough is incredible. :allears:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Okay, I thought Matt's side would be the most boring out of the three the second time through, but the gunthrough is incredible. :allears:

Abandon your robot child for more bullets in your gun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Deleter posted:

I think we should care in so far as Todd becomes wasted potential instead of being too evil to be described as comically evil for no appareet raisin.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I like how they only made one GUN model so Kara and the clerk both pull the exact same GUN on each other.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
A little sad they didn't go with the abandoned house during Kara's scene. I would of loved to have seen there reaction to Ralph the insane, knife wielding deviant who tries to feed Alice a groundhog.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ralph is a good boy just trying his best.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Official theme of Detroit: 2nd Gig, or the Secret Cryme Tyme LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMX82pUNmHI

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Vanderdeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMX82pUNmHI

Can't hear you over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og243Dom4Sw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vanderdeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObZwLok4dOE

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It happened again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wweScpx2WOA

Also, second GIG on hold till next week due to schedule issues.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
watch out woolie and matt, the grumps are moseying in on your territory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGkGhJKXBSs&hd=1

I would watch an entire series of them just reacting to sonic the hedgehog comic covers, they are seriously nuts. All the insane characters this one guy came up with and then they explicitly killed them all off because he refused to give them the rights, which is hilarious because, well, it's literally a case of "this is my sonic OC DO NOT STEAL" but in the actual official comics and sega was like "nope dead"

Also, there is a horrifying secret hidden in the video "wait, that's how he winks?"

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Perfect. This is hilarious, you know what i mean, right?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's hilarious but I kind of feel bad for Pat because that feels like a natural speech pattern to fall into when you're carrying the conversation and trying to provoke responses,

right?

Captain Invictus posted:

watch out woolie and matt, the grumps are moseying in on your territory

I would watch an entire series of them just reacting to sonic the hedgehog comic covers, they are seriously nuts. All the insane characters this one guy came up with and then they explicitly killed them all off because he refused to give them the rights, which is hilarious because, well, it's literally a case of "this is my sonic OC DO NOT STEAL" but in the actual official comics and sega was like "nope dead"

Also, there is a horrifying secret hidden in the video "wait, that's how he winks?"
I think Cybershell did a similar video shortly before he fell off the face of the earth, because I remember him talking about horrifying sonic coming out of the TV cover.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR2VkP5niwI&t=991s

:drat:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

It's hilarious but I kind of feel bad for Pat because that feels like a natural speech pattern to fall into when you're carrying the conversation and trying to provoke responses,

right?

Yeah, I like the video just beacuse I can't believe I didn't notice it at all.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Turing Police have been notified.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I like the video just beacuse I can't believe I didn't notice it at all.

Just like "excuse me" and other Patisms, right?

I just love how Pat dies when someone points it out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The gently caress is this

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Just like "excuse me" and other Patisms, right?

Yeah, and 'See what I mean?' I'm just blown away that it completely zipped over my head.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Id like to point out

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Burkion posted:

Yea what are all these non best friends videos doing in this thread?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Barent posted:

Id like to point out

Gas-Quen :v:

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.

Burkion posted:

I feel like SBF have brought up Kizuna AI before.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Oxyclean posted:

Seeing and/or hearing this happen to Pat makes me gain life. It's like the piece of pat that dies in that moment is reborn in me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

smidgeonnn posted:

I feel like SBF have brought up Kizuna AI before.

They have an, oddly, genuinely didn't seem to know it's a person and not an AI.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They probably knew of it but never actually watched it and so didn't realize it's literally just someone using Facerig with an anime girl model imported into it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I usually dont mind Woolie like some folks tho, but he had like foyr or five bits this podcast that just annoyed the gently caress out of me.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I usually dont mind Woolie like some folks tho, but he had like foyr or five bits this podcast that just annoyed the gently caress out of me.
Like what?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

They probably knew of it but never actually watched it and so didn't realize it's literally just someone using Facerig with an anime girl model imported into it

Except with kizna its an evil soulless corporation dedicated to scamming coins from otaku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Deleter posted:

He actually does come back again. And meets with Kara and Alice if he is alive and they are.