Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Freudian posted:

Allegedly that's how Constantinople eventually fell, a single door left open.

Gosh the Turks must have felt silly trying all those sieges and cannons and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have wanted some ere themed swag for a while but yeah it was all a bit too fashy for me. I eventually got a pro wrestling shirt that scratched the itch

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't wanna just fall over and let people gently caress up the very act of liking ancient history. If you can be a decent person other I don't think has to be a harmful thing to be visibly into it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Koramei posted:

I don't wanna just fall over and let people gently caress up the very act of liking ancient history. If you can be a decent person other I don't think has to be a harmful thing to be visibly into it.

I think the difference is pretty obvious -- the fashy types are the ones glorifying ancient history. "Oh yeah ancient Rome was the best I would totally have been a Patrician."

Folks who are just into ancient history (e.g. most of this thread) are a lot more "yeah, that happened", and "yep, that sucked for about 95% of everyone".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The fash are revolutionary romantics they look to restore broken myths of origin from the past with violence. So they aren’t into history, they hold a history as a romantic ideal they want to bring back violently.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i think the byzantines are pretty cool but i would prefer if i never experience a civil war fought over a religious debate that only makes sense in greek

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CommonShore posted:

I have wanted some ere themed swag for a while but yeah it was all a bit too fashy for me. I eventually got a pro wrestling shirt that scratched the itch

what

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

cheetah7071 posted:

i think the byzantines are pretty cool but i would prefer if i never experience a civil war fought over a religious debate that only makes sense in greek

Just what I’d expect from a fukkin iconoclast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is most of what I know about Byzantine history. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45TzDuF5mj8

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
actual byzantine history is much more ridiculous

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Speaking of which, has anybody figured out exactly why Procopius got so pissed off at Belisarius and Justinian? I'm mostly thinking of the weird tonal shift partway through the History of the Wars; something presumably broke his brain to the point where he wrote the Secret Histories.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tobermory posted:

Speaking of which, has anybody figured out exactly why Procopius got so pissed off at Belisarius and Justinian? I'm mostly thinking of the weird tonal shift partway through the History of the Wars; something presumably broke his brain to the point where he wrote the Secret Histories.

Probably either because the emperor was listening to a *gasp* woman or that he got fired at one point (probably for being rude to a woman).maybe the Vatican knows the answer but other than that it's all just guessing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

p sure that "ere" is supposed to be "era," as in they were thinking about making some period costume outside of a modern era like Regency or something but got squicked out by how fascists have made nearly all costumes (esp martial costumes) into nazi poo poo

which i'm sticking to my guns that fascists don't care about the actual content or practice of history (same for fiction for that matter), just about how they can crassly and crudely use it. If a group of arsonists is in the habit of starting fires with paper, it says very little about the content of any particular book series or whatever.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
ere = eastern Roman empire surely here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah the weird part here is an itch which is scratched by both the byzantines and pro wrestling

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Constantinople was captured in 1453 because the defenders accidentally left a gate open and the Turks walked right in.

That wasn't the only reason it fell (the Turks had already breached another section of walls, for example) but it certainly didn't help.

I'm fairly certain this story is false, it was certainly not in anything I've read about the siege.

Do you have a source for this?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

I'm fairly certain this story is false, it was certainly not in anything I've read about the siege.

Do you have a source for this?

Even if it were true, that's the sort of 'accident' where someone gets paid for it (and wasn't an unusual way of breaking a siege historically).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tobermory posted:

Probably he became disillusioned with the fact that everything went to poo poo after Belisarius left Italy. But it’s kind of hard to be sure. Averil Cameron has a book about Procopius which is pretty good and spends a while on this question. She thinks that he would have preferred for Belisarius to in fact establish himself as western emperor when the Goths offered him the chance, which certainly would have been a positive career move for Procopius—maybe not such a great idea, but the kind of thing you might increasingly look back on and regret as your boss falls from grace and your own prospects diminish. There’s more to it than that though, class anxiety and growing ambivalence about Justinian trying to express itself in a society without freedom of expression, and so on. the book’s worth a read.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulip posted:

p sure that "ere" is supposed to be "era," as in they were thinking about making some period costume outside of a modern era like Regency or something but got squicked out by how fascists have made nearly all costumes (esp martial costumes) into nazi poo poo

which i'm sticking to my guns that fascists don't care about the actual content or practice of history (same for fiction for that matter), just about how they can crassly and crudely use it. If a group of arsonists is in the habit of starting fires with paper, it says very little about the content of any particular book series or whatever.
Yeah like, the point is either "explicit promotion of far right/fascist viewpoints" or if you want to be kind, in some cases "being angry, just, constantly mad about everything."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

CommonShore posted:

I was in Turkey recently, and it turns out Konya still uses a double-headed eagle as their city emblem. I was really tempted to get a T-shirt I saw for sale there with the city logo on it, but realized there'd be no way I'd ever feel comfortable wearing it in public.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Not totally Byzantine, but as I said, it scratches the itch.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MikeCrotch posted:

ere = eastern Roman empire surely here

lol RIP me i totally thought it was a typo

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What's the first instance of a story featuring a haunted suit of armor?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

scooby doo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baron Porkface posted:

What's the first instance of a story featuring a haunted suit of armor?

Maybe Castle of Otranto? More of a haunted helmet I guess

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

feedmegin posted:

Even if it were true, that's the sort of 'accident' where someone gets paid for it (and wasn't an unusual way of breaking a siege historically).

Considering the Theodosian walls consisted of a low wall above a flooded moat, followed by a wide terrace and then a tall defensive wall, followed by another terrace and then an even taller defensive wall, it'd be quite a trick for a single open gate to let attackers into the city. Not to mention that these walls and gates were multiple stories tall, so it's not exactly plausible a single shepherd could 'forget' he left one open when he took his flock out to graze or something.

There were hidden gates for defenders to ride out and attack the besieging army, but those were tiny and hence very easy to defend.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Fuschia tude posted:

Considering the Theodosian walls consisted of a low wall above a flooded moat, followed by a wide terrace and then a tall defensive wall, followed by another terrace and then an even taller defensive wall, it'd be quite a trick for a single open gate to let attackers into the city. Not to mention that these walls and gates were multiple stories tall, so it's not exactly plausible a single shepherd could 'forget' he left one open when he took his flock out to graze or something.

There were hidden gates for defenders to ride out and attack the besieging army, but those were tiny and hence very easy to defend.

Apparently it just was the trigger for the final collapse.

Wikipedia posted:

Constantine's men eventually could not prevent the Ottomans from entering the city and the defenders were overwhelmed at several points along the wall. When Turkish flags were seen flying above the Kerkoporta, a small postern gate that was left open, panic ensued and the defence collapsed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know how good the evidence is, but leaving a side door open, either by accident or bribe, was one of the most common ways fortifications fell to attack so it's not all that suspicious.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there a visual indicator that identifies someone as a prostitute in Roman frescos during the late republican or early imperial period? Other than being naked and doing sex stuff ofc.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I thought Constantinople falling also had a lot to do with cannons having been invented?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I thought Constantinople falling also had a lot to do with cannons having been invented?

Not really. The cannons of the era were not that effective, by all accounts they were able to damage the walls quite a bit, but they were so inaccurate and slow firing that the Romans had plenty of time to repair the damage and shore up the walls. Cannon bombardment went on for weeks without breaching the city. There's dispute about it since there's always dispute, it seems fairly well accepted the cannons didn't do much though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

THE DOOR IS AJAR THE DOOR IS AJAR THE DOOR IS AJAR

Tim Taylor: Hrrnh? Let me just... unplug this alarm...

THE DOOR IS AJ--

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The fall of Constantinople was inarguably the work of years, and arguably the work of centuries. I don't think any single explanation for it works other than "the relative power of the Ottomans and the Byzantines." The siege itself involved cannons, but also it involved mines, and building fortresses blocking naval access across the Bosphorous, and a naval blockade, on top of existing conventional siege tactics. They'd have been stupid not to use any unlocked doors they could find since that's like, absolutely one of the best assault tools in the vocabulary, so that some portion of the walls fell that way is not really a particularly difficult to believe thing.

Grand Fromage posted:

Not really. The cannons of the era were not that effective, by all accounts they were able to damage the walls quite a bit, but they were so inaccurate and slow firing that the Romans had plenty of time to repair the damage and shore up the walls. Cannon bombardment went on for weeks without breaching the city. There's dispute about it since there's always dispute, it seems fairly well accepted the cannons didn't do much though.

I think that probably has more to do with the Theodosian Walls being exceptionally complex and well built than anything else - within 40 years the French army has a modern artillery siege train just flattening Italian castles to the west, and to the east there's been gunpowder siege weapons since the Song and the decisive battles of the Ming were fought with cannon. Constantinople was really uniquely tough for a fortification that far west.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Constantinople also fell about 250 years earlier to an even more improbable chain of events, but it didn't really take that time. It was just another step in the long decay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah the weird part here is an itch which is scratched by both the byzantines and pro wrestling

A lot more than you might think.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

cheetah7071 posted:

Groda fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 2, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ughhhh posted:

Is there a visual indicator that identifies someone as a prostitute in Roman frescos during the late republican or early imperial period? Other than being naked and doing sex stuff ofc.

I don't know if it's portrayed in roman frescos, but female prostitutes were required to wear togas.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 2, 2022

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Right: pisciculi, gonna need an explanation of that one.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mr Havafap posted:

Right: pisciculi, gonna need an explanation of that one.

"Little fishes" - the only thing that I can think of is the :nms:small children in Tiberius' swimming pool, but that doesn't really fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

no horny