Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did bones files originate with Nethack? I always liked the idea of them, especially if you played on a server and could leave messages as weird graffiti someone else could stumble upon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Grey Face posted:

I've had my fill of SNRKX, anything else out there that scratches the roguelike autochess itch? I tried astronarch but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

This is venturing pretty far from Roguelike territory but I always find myself going back to Legion TD2

It's difficult to succinctly describe, it's a 4v4 or 2v2 multiplayer autobattler where you simultaneously build up your field of units while also managing a second economy that hires mercenaries to attack your opponents. The reason I suggest it in the context of a roguelike request is that you play each match with a random selection of units available to you (there are some fixed-composition teams available in the 4v4 mode but they have some disadvantages built in and no one uses them). Despite not being a roguelike at all, it's the game that most often scratches my roguelite itch where I just want to play a quick run of something using randomly selected powers/units/etc.

It has far more depth and complexity and ability for player skill/strategic planning to sway a match than any other autobattler I've played. There's also a lot going on in it - you're balancing two economies that both feed into each other while trying to make snap judgments about what units would be best against upcoming waves, while also studying your lane opponent's build to determine what mercenaries would be most advantageous against them on upcoming waves, while also trying to keep tabs on your allies and estimate how their defenses will handle upcoming waves, so you can determine which one of your two economies to focus on right now (offensive or defensive), and also predicting what the enemy will be sending against you to make sure you can handle that on top of the upcoming waves, etc.

There's a bit of a learning curve but I found it very much worth it to stick with it, I played in ranked for a while and got to the top 500 and really started to thoroughly appreciate the game the more I understood it and got a feel for it :kiddo:

It's also a pretty good time to get into it because there was a major balance patch a few weeks ago that shook everything up and everyone is kind of re-learning it all together.

e: it's a remake/sequel to the WC3 mod Legion TD made by the original mod team, which was one of the most popular WC3 mods other than DOTA. So it's the OG autochess game. I never played it back then though.

e2: Also I commend this game for how well it handles toxicity. There are TONS of in-game coaching and assist tools to help players play and learn better, anti-toxicity measures, automated systems and flagging to stop people from being toxic, you even get guilt-tripping confirmation popups asking you if you're sure you REALLY want to be such a jerk to your team if you try and just sell every one of your units mid-game. In 180 hours I have literally never encountered a single toxic player.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 8, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ah good ol' peperony and chease

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hearse was such a game changer in the early internet because it turned even offline NetHack into a weird sort of MMO where the only way you encountered all the other players was as corpses and ghosts :ghost:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Mozi posted:

Another complaint is that successfully running away isn't possible a lot of the time so you could be out of options pretty early in a fight.

However for all of that I'm still digging into it, the graphics are good and other than those things there's a lot to like.

Soulash is a lot better with the sprint mod in the workshop that adds a pretty balanced short sprint ability to all classes (a nerfed version of what the nomad class gets). Otherwise, there's just unnecessary RNG for the first few levels of not running into something fast that kills you.

Durability is totally fine now after the patches that bumped it up and people that still hate it can just download one of the additional durability mods as well. After level 4/5 the weapons have so much durability that it's not an issue anymore, I think the vanilla durability is fine as a difficulty add-on for earlier levels.

Late game is just messing around the world like in Noita, where you kill difficult gods to make permanent changes to the world.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 9, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

precision posted:

Hearse was such a game changer in the early internet because it turned even offline NetHack into a weird sort of MMO where the only way you encountered all the other players was as corpses and ghosts :ghost:

Hearse owned and I wish more RLs implemented bones files or something like them. I can't actually think of any offhand apart from Nethack and its derivatives, although I'm sure there must be a few.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Noita (if left completely unmodded) will occasionally send a ghost after you carrying one of the wands you had in a previous run, which can end up being instantly lethal to both you and the ghost

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ToxicFrog posted:

Hearse owned and I wish more RLs implemented bones files or something like them. I can't actually think of any offhand apart from Nethack and its derivatives, although I'm sure there must be a few.

It's a drat great idea that's just collecting dust.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
Put about 20hrs into Revita and it is incredible so far. The OST is 10/10 as well. Hope others here give it a whirl.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Triangle Wizard remains, probably, best in class as both your dead and your victorious characters could well show up again and greatly spice up a given play session.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ToxicFrog posted:

One Way Heroics would have the ghosts of other players show up and try to fight monsters with you

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I bounced off hard trying out Rogue Legacy 2. I agree with others that the moment to moment movement felt really good, but I think I'm too crusty and set in my ways to deal with both contact damage and a dash without i-frames. It's definitely it's own unique time capsule.

On the other hand, I'm still chipping away at Revita and just finished my first full run at 5 shards even though I ran into a bug with the final boss, laser, and dynamite that caused explosions to appear at the center of the stage instead of at the boss's head and ate like 5 hearts before I realized. Really good, snappy game that I hope to get better at since I think I took 20 hearts worth of damage in the last fight.

If anyone is trying to unlock guns at shard 5, be aware that going for a full run doesn't count to the unlock if you die to the final boss. I found out the hard way struggling through the entire game with the sniper rifle and no fire rate upgrades before finally eating it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I unlocked the fifth boss cell in Dead Cells, which if I remember correctly allows me to make ten additional posts complaining about metaprogression in roguelikes without everyone in the thread judging me and putting me on ignore.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RoboCicero posted:

If anyone is trying to unlock guns at shard 5, be aware that going for a full run doesn't count to the unlock if you die to the final boss. I found out the hard way struggling through the entire game with the sniper rifle and no fire rate upgrades before finally eating it.

Yeah some secrets do require you to do the extended final area but they'll specify "full run" as opposed to just beating the game. While I'm not a god at the game or anything though, if I make it to the final area I very rarely ever lose just because of the way the snowball effect works with powering up. That said (at least in early access, they reset with 1.0 and I haven't unlocked them again yet) some of the shard modifiers get pretty nasty after 10+ and work against that.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

RoboCicero posted:

I bounced off hard trying out Rogue Legacy 2. I agree with others that the moment to moment movement felt really good, but I think I'm too crusty and set in my ways to deal with both contact damage and a dash without i-frames. It's definitely it's own unique time capsule.

Ahhhh, that's what's been bugging me! I've been enjoying it well enough, but parts of it feel off/annoying. It's definitely this combo with probable added bonus of not gitting gud

valuum fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 10, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

nrook posted:

I unlocked the fifth boss cell in Dead Cells, which if I remember correctly allows me to make ten additional posts complaining about metaprogression in roguelikes without everyone in the thread judging me and putting me on ignore.

I thought it was the other way around, defending metaprogression is what will put you on the ignore list!

speaking of, I used a mod to alleviate the grind on Dead Cells, some of the blueprints are too rare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

valuum posted:

Ahhhh, that's what's been bugging me! I've been enjoying it well enough, but parts of it feel off/annoying. It's definitely this combo with probable added bonus of not gitting gud

haha yeah it takes a minute to internalize that your dash has no i-frames

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If the contact damage bothers you, do keep in mind there's a class (boxer) that ignores contact damage, and you have the option to lock your rightmost heir to always be one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the lack of I-frames or super armor really fucks with the Dragon Lancer in particular. if I’ve charged up this air dashing super-stab then I do not expect to be stopped dead by a tiny fireball

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

To a lesser extent the Warrior and Valkyrie. "This weapon skill crits on a dash" might as well read "this weapon never skill crits".

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Arzaac posted:

To a lesser extent the Warrior and Valkyrie. "This weapon skill crits on a dash" might as well read "this weapon never skill crits".

Valkyrie is fun because you don't have to dash the same direction that you're attacking, so you can poke the spear up or down and sweep by groups of enemies above or below you, critting all of them. Warrior's is a little trickier but while the timing can take getting used to, know that you can cancel out of a dash attack at any time by jumping, and if you have the upgrades for multiple jumps/airdashes you can quickly combo dash->attack->jump backwards->repeat. Honestly I feel like Warrior gets slept on as the "default" class but it's got very forgiving stats with tons of HP and base attack, and that sword swipe has deceptively good range

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arzaac posted:

looks like someone needs to git gud :smug:

no but for real i finally beat the first boss lmao. only took me like 100 runs :kiddo:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Arzaac posted:

I had a reasonable run as Pirate when I got the "killing an enemy with a crit gives back 6% health" trinket and started successfully dash-critting everywhere. I can see how it scales down in effectiveness a bit with the # of projectiles on screen though.

I have the hardest time remembering to use all my toys, though. I've had some great runs as the Astrologer where I've totally forgotten about Talent and Magic even though the talent is very, very good.

I've practically had more luck with the Bard (which seems to be everyone's lowest-tier pick) than the Dragon Lancer because I can't aim that Joust for poo poo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
okay I got sucked in by Demoncrawl because it was on sale for half off and wow am I ever awful at Minesweeper

what am I supposed to do right here? not pictured, a huge empty board in all directions, I'm literally three clicks into the level, but the Brain in a Jar item declared that I do not have to guess to proceed:

I guess I can click uh, the one just below the mouse pointer? because the 3 guarantees it's one of those two, yeah okay there's some progress, but what am I fundamentally missing? I know about a 1-1-1 pattern and a 1-2-1 pattern but that's it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm no expert but i can't see any other freebies besides revealing the one below the cursor, either. maybe it'll help :shrug:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, the one below the cursor is safe, which I guess means logically you don't have to guess. You might be screwed after that though. :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arzaac posted:

Yeah, the one below the cursor is safe, which I guess means logically you don't have to guess. You might be screwed after that though. :v:
it was a 3 and I decided gently caress it and clicked at random and it all worked out until it didn't and I died a couple stages later :shobon:

as long as I'm not completely insane and it's more guessing heavy than actual Minesweeper, ok

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it was a 3 and I decided gently caress it and clicked at random and it all worked out until it didn't and I died a couple stages later :shobon:

as long as I'm not completely insane and it's more guessing heavy than actual Minesweeper, ok

What do you mean? Actual Minesweeper is extremely guessing heavy, that kind of scenario is quite common. On a big board you might have enough room to work around it via other logic paths, but it's entirely possible that you get stuck with a lovely little start like that, and big boards almost always have at least one 50/50 guess in the end.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Well, there's my actual Minesweeper inexperience showing! Fair enough.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I loved Demoncrawl but I started getting an unbearable amount of bugs and crashes to desktop. The dev makes a lot of updates but very few bug fixes from what I can tell, which is unfortunate.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DACK FAYDEN posted:

okay I got sucked in by Demoncrawl because it was on sale for half off and wow am I ever awful at Minesweeper

what am I supposed to do right here? not pictured, a huge empty board in all directions, I'm literally three clicks into the level, but the Brain in a Jar item declared that I do not have to guess to proceed:

I guess I can click uh, the one just below the mouse pointer? because the 3 guarantees it's one of those two, yeah okay there's some progress, but what am I fundamentally missing? I know about a 1-1-1 pattern and a 1-2-1 pattern but that's it
See the 2112 at the bottom? The ones to either side are safe.

e: At (2,3) you have a 2, so there must be 2 total out of (1,2), (1, 3) and (1,4) as they are the only 3 tiles left. This means there must be a danger tile in either (1,3) or (1,4) (and (1,2) is definitely a danger). From there it's the same logic as you already made on the right.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 10, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Splicer posted:

The Rule of Rush

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

e: At (2,3) you have a 2, so there must be 2 total out of (1,2), (1, 3) and (1,4) as they are the only 3 tiles left. This means there must be a danger tile in either (1,3) or (1,4) (and (1,2) is definitely a danger). From there it's the same logic as you already made on the right.

That 2 already has a danger flagged to the upper right, so there's only a single danger out of those three spaces and there's no guarantee that it touches the 1. YOU JUST BLEW UP MOTHERFUCKER

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the holy poopacy posted:

That 2 already has a danger flagged to the upper right, so there's only a single danger out of those three spaces and there's no guarantee that it touches the 1. YOU JUST BLEW UP MOTHERFUCKER
oh nooooooooooooooooooo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh man the Rogue Legacy 2 final boss (on a NG playthrough at least) is awesome. Found him pretty tough but after some practice I went from getting the poo poo beat out of me to clearing over 50% of his healthbar without taking a single hit on my winning attempt. Very fun patterns to learn.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

goferchan posted:

Oh man the Rogue Legacy 2 final boss (on a NG playthrough at least) is awesome. Found him pretty tough but after some practice I went from getting the poo poo beat out of me to clearing over 50% of his healthbar without taking a single hit on my winning attempt. Very fun patterns to learn.

How much of the meta thingies have you unlocked? Castle upgrades, gear, runes? Just beat the first boss and unlocked the teleport to the second zone, but there is sooo much stuff to unlock.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ToxicFrog posted:

Some web versions of DCSS have the ghosts of other players on the server show up now and then to murder you. Or, if you're playing on a quiet enough server, your own ghosts.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

the holy poopacy posted:

What do you mean? Actual Minesweeper is extremely guessing heavy, that kind of scenario is quite common. On a big board you might have enough room to work around it via other logic paths, but it's entirely possible that you get stuck with a lovely little start like that, and big boards almost always have at least one 50/50 guess in the end.

I recall the Windows 98 Minesweeper having a setting to make it require guessing or not and it defaulted to no guessing, but it's been like 20 years...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've heard they did do something like that at some point, but every version of Windows Minesweeper I've clicked on in the last 30 years has had guessing (unless you got particularly lucky on board generation.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rogue Legacy 2 - the new update got pushed to Xbox finally and wow it makes the economy so much better. i might even start on a fresh save file