Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Rockman Reserve posted:

I love that all of the trees in Elden Ring are destructible to big enemy attacks, there’s something badass about fighting through the wilderness with trees crashing all around you.

Reminds me of Valheim, where fighting some trolls in the woods turns into an advanced course on tree dodging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The troll is just trying to help you farm wood. You can use them to get fine wood early too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rockman Reserve posted:

I love that all of the trees in Elden Ring are destructible to big enemy attacks, there’s something badass about fighting through the wilderness with trees crashing all around you.

In Forbidden West many structures can be destroyed by attacks and ooh boy it makes for quite the surprise when the thing you're hiding behind disintegrates as a robot comes flying through it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cleretic posted:

For some reason, they decided that the exchange rates of these currencies should be accurately based on real-world currency exchange rates. This is updated in real time.

This has caused the game's economy to crash because of real-world Russian sanctions.

This is hilarious but like, why

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

TontoCorazon posted:

Not when your fleeing from a loving murder bear

I was exploring and there was a tight clump of trees with a BE WARY, DOG message, so I was like haha turtle or something past this :)

Then I walked through and a bear mauled me. I missed this poo poo so much.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Kitfox88 posted:

I was exploring and there was a tight clump of trees with a BE WARY, DOG message, so I was like haha turtle or something past this :)

Then I walked through and a bear mauled me. I missed this poo poo so much.

The “you don’t have the right o you don’t have the right” messages make me laugh for some reason and I’ve started leaving them in front of doors that don’t open. Funnier than “fingers but hole”.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Cleretic posted:

I don't know which thread to put this in, but it's going here because as a non-player, I love this dumb poo poo, and it's definitely consequences of an intended decision.

Escape from Tarkov, an FPS/MMO hyvrid game, uses real-world currencies as its in-game currencies. (Not talking real-money trade stuff, I mean like 'this enemy drops Euros'). For some reason, they decided that the exchange rates of these currencies should be accurately based on real-world currency exchange rates. This is updated in real time.

This has caused the game's economy to crash because of real-world Russian sanctions.

Please tell me there's an Kotaku article or something I can read about this.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The message meme culture is so dumb and I love it. As soon as I started walking around in a wet, marshy area I thought "time for crab?" and then read a message on the ground and it said "time for crab" and then a giant crab erupted out of the ground.

People seem to have decided that "no horse ahead" is short for "there's nothing good/useful/interesting this way".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Beartaco posted:

Please tell me there's an Kotaku article or something I can read about this.

This is the best one I could find. A week old, so it's probably gotten worse.

The kicker of a reveal: this is good news for in-game Bitcoin, which has apparently been a problem currency in the game's past. Ironically, I think Fake Tarkov Bitcoin might actually be a more legitimate currency than real Bitcoin.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Mar 9, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

The message meme culture is so dumb and I love it. As soon as I started walking around in a wet, marshy area I thought "time for crab?" and then read a message on the ground and it said "time for crab" and then a giant crab erupted out of the ground.

People seem to have decided that "no horse ahead" is short for "there's nothing good/useful/interesting this way".

because the horse can double jump, the colloquial term for platforming has become "horseback battle"

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
My highest rated message is in front of one of those bald eagles in the starting area that just says, “Behold! Bird!”

I really love dumb dark souls messages.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Frank Frank posted:

My highest rated message is in front of one of those bald eagles in the starting area that just says, “Behold! Bird!”

I like exploring somewhere in Elden Ring, really off the beaten path, and seeing a message icon, then wondering what they had to say.
Try Finger
but, hole.

Bless you random Elden Ring player.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Triarii posted:

I can't remember the exact syntax, but I ran across one like "didn't expect crab, and then crab"

So then a giant crab pops up, I kill it and well then another one does and kills me. So, same anonymous message writer, same.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Mine is "message ahead" in front of one from another player that just reads "message". Which is then followed by another player going "Didn't expect message". :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I love messages so much, they've always been one of my favorite little features of the games. yes there's a few billion tired identical "try jumping" and "try fingers but hole" messages, and I still read every one I see because you can find some absolute gems hidden in there and the creativity of what people can come up with under the message format limitations is still surprising

a few of my favorites so far in elden ring:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Maybe it's too horny but imo nothing beats Gwendolyn's "Amazing chest ahead!"

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Wasabi the J posted:

Maybe it's too horny but imo nothing beats Gwendolyn's "Amazing chest ahead!"

There's a empty room very similar to hers in Leyndell with a message that just says "Treasure chest?".

Seems familiar... or Visions of undead by everything that looks like a lordvessel is also standard.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
One of my fave clusters so far was several about incredible foe ahead and prepare for death and whatnot during the stairs down into one of those little basements that I’d opened with a sword key. I get there and its just a bunch of regular turtles walking around and the item was a stamina regen talisman :allears:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

By a large windmill: could this be a giant? Visions of mounted combat.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Kitfox88 posted:

One of my fave clusters so far was several about incredible foe ahead and prepare for death and whatnot during the stairs down into one of those little basements that I’d opened with a sword key. I get there and its just a bunch of regular turtles walking around and the item was a stamina regen talisman :allears:

I put a Dog! message down there at the entrance and it keeps getting appraised.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

This is hilarious but like, why

That question can be applied to most of the game, what with 'this is an early access FPS MMO that's also going to have a central story that runs you through all the maps in the game (that currently have no story content or even hints of a story and just exist for you to walk through and get shot)'. and also 'there's a central hideout building mechanic and because we've done this real world exchange thing you can set up a bitcoin mining rig in it once you have electricity, and this has lead to GPUs being one of the most valuable items in the entire game. you will murder so many men just to extract with one'.

so

best not a question you should be asking.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

yes there's a few billion tired identical "try jumping" and "try fingers but hole" messages

I unironically love both of these. Yes they're basic but I still love them. Amazing chest ahead after O&S too. Just something about players abusing the message system to say stupid poo poo makes me smile.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

There's usually a "I did it!" after a boss but after a boss that receives a lot of hate from some people (Radahn) I saw a "I did it! but hole". That added level of gently caress this boss is pretty good.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I ended up playing Elden Ring in offline mode myself, I definitely appreciate good soulsborne(ring?) messages, but at the same time having every mysterious ruin and unexplored depth in a game like that being basically covered in the equivalent of "BUTTKNIGHT WAS HERE" -graffiti does also kind of gnaw on the sense of adventure and discovery. Plus I'm masochistic enough to kinda enjoy walking into surprise ambushes and traps without oceans of blood on the floor warning me about it ahead of time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The peak of Dark Souls messages is still "Listen carefully, skeleton!"

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I ended up playing Elden Ring in offline mode myself, I definitely appreciate good soulsborne(ring?) messages, but at the same time having every mysterious ruin and unexplored depth in a game like that being basically covered in the equivalent of "BUTTKNIGHT WAS HERE" -graffiti does also kind of gnaw on the sense of adventure and discovery. Plus I'm masochistic enough to kinda enjoy walking into surprise ambushes and traps without oceans of blood on the floor warning me about it ahead of time.

For sure, I played the game offline for a while when the servers were down and it has a different feel that's better in certain ways. It's definitely a lot more immersive without hundreds of constant reminders of "you are playing a videogame alongside a million other players who are experiencing the same things as you right now".

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
every tortoise i've found has a bunch of messages around it saying things like "don't you dare" and "dog!" and it makes me smile every time

(i haven't killed any of them because i don't have the heart, i hope they don't drop anything important)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Graffiti is extremely immersive.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Truly the world has lost a great person

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Mine is "message ahead" in front of one from another player that just reads "message". Which is then followed by another player going "Didn't expect message". :allears:

I love the path in Dark Souls 2 which for years, and possibly still now, was littered with "message ahead", "beware of message" and so on

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

moonmazed posted:

every tortoise i've found has a bunch of messages around it saying things like "don't you dare" and "dog!" and it makes me smile every time

(i haven't killed any of them because i don't have the heart, i hope they don't drop anything important)

Turtle neck meat which seems like it might do some nice stuff but it’s killing turtles so is it really worth it?

Also Elden Ring, something that’s really neat environmental storytelling I wasn’t expecting (gameplay/overworld spoilers for the second zone): usually the spirit jellyfish are passive unless attacked, at which point they turn red like someone else mentioned. And something that’s weird is that there’s a group of them glowing red over a cart with a dead merchant, which is honestly a pretty common occurrence in ER. The cart, that is.

The weird part is that when you kill then and loot the merchant you find a jellyfish shield, a greatshield made from the head of a spirit jellyfish. It makes sense why they’re so mad, but I’m still impressed they went through the trouble of making one specific encounter to tell that little implied story of a merchant killing a jellyfish for a shield and them taking revenge, on top of all the other poo poo in this game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

I love the path in Dark Souls 2 which for years, and possibly still now, was littered with "message ahead", "beware of message" and so on

I'm playing DS2 currently but i couldn't tell ya if the path, whatever it is, is still covered in messages, because the Dark Souls 2 servers are offline and have been for the entirety of my playthrough

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
As someone who never got into the Soulsborne games, are the messages structured the way they are because using a limited library means you could convey simple messages in multiple languages at the same time?

Kind of how the OG Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast had chat shortcuts with stock words and phrases that would translate to whatever system language the player was playing in?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CzarChasm posted:

As someone who never got into the Soulsborne games, are the messages structured the way they are because using a limited library means you could convey simple messages in multiple languages at the same time?

Partly that and partly because making people pick from a small set of pre-selected words limits the possibilities for trolling

Or at least you have to be slightly clever about your trolling and can't just drop slurs everywhere

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've always loved "Be wary of beating to a pulp" , usually just before a field of bloodstains.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Kind of how the OG Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast had chat shortcuts with stock words and phrases that would translate to whatever system language the player was playing in?

An important aspect of the soulsborne games is that they were originally designed out of love for western RPGs, but from an outsider's perspective who is not 100% familiar with the themes and language and needs to collaborate with others to fully understand what's going on and what to do. The messaging system is designed that way to allow you to leave hints or warnings, but purposefully limiting your vocabulary so you can't say "There's an armored boar enemy that is weak to backstabs" but can say "try pig backstab"

It makes it so one message that is helpful can give a hint, and it can be reinforced through additional hints that might give more context

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kanfy posted:

So you wanted Myst but got Pyst

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
PYF little things in Elden Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

PYF little things in Elden Ring

I suspect this thread has become that every time a from software game has dropped

Well at least since dark souls, I doubt anyone posted little things in games about Armored Core 5