Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Poor photo, might get a better one when I can put a proper light box together, but checking in: one Rhino tactical squad done. Some assembly flaws and some mold lines that didn't show up until after I'd already primed, most of these models will get replaced over time, but in the interim it's a complete squad at least. Camera lens is damaged so proper focus is a nightmare to get.

To be honest, I'm not sure the green casings on the bolters really works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure the green casings on the bolters really works.

I've been testing green (which I'm mixed on) and sand (which I like more) so far - the banner bearer got a sand bolter since they were an earlier test model. My usual casings are red, which works less well here on account of the red right arm. Black might be the fallback but feels very plain. Not really any others that feel like a good fit (and I'm not hazard striping these bolters with all the raised detail).

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lazy Sunday Afternoon:

Debating Agrax Earthshade on the Ogre skin.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've been testing green (which I'm mixed on) and sand (which I like more) so far - the banner bearer got a sand bolter since they were an earlier test model. My usual casings are red, which works less well here on account of the red right arm. Black might be the fallback but feels very plain. Not really any others that feel like a good fit (and I'm not hazard striping these bolters with all the raised detail).

I think the sand might be better because it's closer to the yellow on the shoulderpads, have you got a picture?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think the sand might be better because it's closer to the yellow on the shoulderpads, have you got a picture?

Away from home a bit, best I have on the camera roll is the banner bearer in this squad before basing:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

taken under quickie light booth analogue

Just putting a piece of parchment paper over my light source and using a more recent camera phone made these minis stand up a lot better under the unfeeling savaging of photography.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Turns out that it's super fast to paint these guys

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Turns out that it's super fast to paint these guys

Builder's Arse Crack, Nurgle edition.

(Nice work by the way!)

I bought some Citadel contrast paints in a couple of shades of brown today, to experiment with on some skaven. I tried it on some rats I'd already gone over with brown (on a basecoat of black), and to be honest it didn't seem to do much.

Are contrast paints better done over a lighter background? The lad in the shop showed me what they look like on a model, and I went "ooh, that looks good", but it was basecoated a sort of off-white colour, which may have enhanced the contrast effect I suppose.

It's a lot to learn, when I was a lad there was paint and there was metallics and there was inks if you were feeling fancy.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Light colors, but not necessarily white. Guilleman Flesh over bone white is a particular favorite of mine.

Alternately start with a cool or warm grey, drybrush up to white and apply contrast/speedpaint over that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gambrinus posted:

Builder's Arse Crack, Nurgle edition.

(Nice work by the way!)

I bought some Citadel contrast paints in a couple of shades of brown today, to experiment with on some skaven. I tried it on some rats I'd already gone over with brown (on a basecoat of black), and to be honest it didn't seem to do much.

Are contrast paints better done over a lighter background? The lad in the shop showed me what they look like on a model, and I went "ooh, that looks good", but it was basecoated a sort of off-white colour, which may have enhanced the contrast effect I suppose.

It's a lot to learn, when I was a lad there was paint and there was metallics and there was inks if you were feeling fancy.

Yeah, contrast paints arent washes, they go over a white/off white undercoat to do the "basecoat and wash" steps in one go for you. You can get fancy with them by putting them over other colours, over a zenithal highlight, thinning them, blending them, all sorts, but the intended use is "undercoat a light colour, put the contrast paint over that".

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Cool, I've got a spray can in a sort of sandy colour, so will try contrasts over that after I get back off holidays.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Still churning through the Age of Darkness box, but I've been intermittently kitbashing these Alpha Legion Headhunters along the way. I'm using Infiltrators as a proxy because I wanted something more tactical and less snake cosplay looking.

They're still a work in progress, but do they look "Heresy" enough? The phobos legs are a little out of place, but in the fluff the Alpha Legion had all sorts of weird experimental poo poo, so I think it kinda works.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok done with the little guys from the gellerpox

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Loden Taylor posted:

Still churning through the Age of Darkness box, but I've been intermittently kitbashing these Alpha Legion Headhunters along the way. I'm using Infiltrators as a proxy because I wanted something more tactical and less snake cosplay looking.

They're still a work in progress, but do they look "Heresy" enough? The phobos legs are a little out of place, but in the fluff the Alpha Legion had all sorts of weird experimental poo poo, so I think it kinda works.
I’m sure some Heresy purists will be annoyed by them but I think they look great.

They’ll look particularly good alongside the MK VI beakies because they have similar proportions. The original Headhunter kit is a MK IV kit and the height combined with the power squatting pose makes them look so weird and out of place alongside the other stuff.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gambrinus posted:

Cool, I've got a spray can in a sort of sandy colour, so will try contrasts over that after I get back off holidays.

If you've already painted the fur, drybrush their fur with white or off whites then do contrast. The nice thing about rats is they don't need to be uniform, so having variety will be nice. Test one or two first before committing fully.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ok done with the little guys from the gellerpox

These are an absolute treasure!

What did you use for the glow slime on the bases?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

moths posted:

These are an absolute treasure!

What did you use for the glow slime on the bases?

Golden brand fluorescent green paint and vallejo still water effect mixed together.

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Arcylic-Paint-Ounce-Fluorescent/dp/B00E4PL588

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ26230-Still-Water-200ml/dp/B000PHBH14

Still water is a versatile addition to your toolbox as you can make slime, blood, grease, and all sorts of things out of it because it mixes well with paint.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's excellent, thanks!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I decided to paint some Battletech instead of Warhammer for once because I've been playing Mechwarrior Online again. I was surprised these models are nearly the exact same size as Intercessors.

The Battletech box didn't come with transfers, is there a decent source for teeny transfers for Battletech? I'll probably paint up my inner sphere mechs as mercenaries, so I don't have to settle on a paint scheme or faction yet. I don't have clan mechs yet but I'll probably go Diamond Shark or Sea Fox.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

If you've already painted the fur, drybrush their fur with white or off whites then do contrast. The nice thing about rats is they don't need to be uniform, so having variety will be nice. Test one or two first before committing fully.

I'll experiment on the plastic clanrats I think- the stormvermin lads I tried it on are mostly metal anyway.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Been working on some test schemes for some dark eldar I'm making for Kill Team, think I've settled on this one. Beyond the shaky highlights any suggestions/feedback on this one?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm coming to the conclusion that Vallejo game color browns and washes are just bad.

Beasty brown and leather brown are so watery they just run into the recesses instead of staying on the raised parts of the model, and every time I've tried the washes they come out all blotchy.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I've yet to try any of the Vallejo Game line I thought were good.

The bad moon yellow was OK for glazing with an airbrush when I specifically needed translucence but I threw out 2 of the metallics because they were useless for coverage and seemed lumpy. And I never throw out anything.

Vallejo Model colour is the tits though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve got a couple game color bottles that are quite good, but overall the line is pretty hot or miss. Model color never lets me down though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The only Vallejo Game Color paints I've tried that just don't work are Orange Fire and Moon Yellow. Some of the other colors go on perfectly fine but dry too glossy, making it hard to do highlights and such, but they work.

Model Color and Model Air are always great for me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gort posted:

I'm coming to the conclusion that Vallejo game color browns and washes are just bad.

Beasty brown and leather brown are so watery they just run into the recesses instead of staying on the raised parts of the model, and every time I've tried the washes they come out all blotchy.

The main reason I use VGC Sepia Wash for my bases is because its formulation is so bad that in addition to the greenish shade it leaves over grey, it leaves brown dusty residue behind that happens to look like Martian sand in the crevices. I'm with you on the paints generally sucking.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a good rule of thumb that anything that has yellow in it will turn green when painted over anything with blue in it.

Yesterday I learned that Caucasian skin tone is a mix of pink, yellow and brown, which goes a long way towards explaining why I'm having such a time trying to get coverage out of my flesh tones: With all those pigments in there the colour's bound to be intense, but mixing isn't going to make any of those pigments opaque.

Once my primer runs out, I'm going to buy a brown of some kind, even if I'll pay the LGS premium.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For white people skin, I've learned that an undercoat of a medium ochre will work well with skin tone paints like sunny skin tone or medium flesh tone etc.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

KTS posted:

Been working on some test schemes for some dark eldar I'm making for Kill Team, think I've settled on this one. Beyond the shaky highlights any suggestions/feedback on this one?

That's a good lookin Kabalite Warrior!

What are you using for the background? I dig that gradient.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

For white people skin, I've learned that an undercoat of a medium ochre will work well with skin tone paints like sunny skin tone or medium flesh tone etc.
I guess I'll have to try this.

It just feels silly because half the reason I'm working with a flesh tone to begin with is I like it under this yellow I have, so now I'm doing two basecoats to get my yellow to work. :negative:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Chainclaw posted:

I decided to paint some Battletech instead of Warhammer for once because I've been playing Mechwarrior Online again. I was surprised these models are nearly the exact same size as Intercessors.

The Battletech box didn't come with transfers, is there a decent source for teeny transfers for Battletech? I'll probably paint up my inner sphere mechs as mercenaries, so I don't have to settle on a paint scheme or faction yet. I don't have clan mechs yet but I'll probably go Diamond Shark or Sea Fox.

Yeah, you wanna look up Aries Games. They basically sell JUST Battletech and have a ton of 3rd party decals for the various factions.

EDIT: direct link:

https://ariesgamesandminis.com/index.php/shopping/category/206-battletech-decals.html

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, you wanna look up Aries Games. They basically sell JUST Battletech and have a ton of 3rd party decals for the various factions.

EDIT: direct link:

https://ariesgamesandminis.com/index.php/shopping/category/206-battletech-decals.html

oh great, thanks. They don't seem to have any Team Venom transfers, but I guess Roughriders could work, but that's the boring campaign from Mechwarrior 2 Mercernaries. Roughriders is the box art merc company, at least.

edit: Or do I go with one of the Periphery factions?

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 3, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Chainclaw posted:

oh great, thanks. They don't seem to have any Team Venom transfers, but I guess Roughriders could work, but that's the boring campaign from Mechwarrior 2 Mercernaries. Roughriders is the box art merc company, at least.

If you have your heart set on a specific icon, try talking to Chapter Customizer (https://www.chaptercustomizer.com/). I had them make some custom decals for Warhammer 40k and they turned out great.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Chainclaw posted:

No idea! I know absolutely Zero about the BTech lore and just paint mine however.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm trying to find guides on painting Mesoamerican skin tones in preparation for painting my Amazon Blood Bowl team.

I came across GW's guide and they should really think about updating their skin tone colors names, at least the stuff that matches actual human skin tones.

GW's suggested color for a Mesoamerican tone is "Ratskin Flesh". Yikes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A lot of paint companies have this problem. Caucasian skin tones get named 'fleshtone' or whatever and every other skin tone gets named after some combination of leather, wood, or dirt.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I at least admire the direct honesty of scale 75 for "African shadow," "Arabic shadow," and "indian shadow" since I immediately know what those are supposed to be for.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Floppychop posted:

I'm trying to find guides on painting Mesoamerican skin tones in preparation for painting my Amazon Blood Bowl team.

I came across GW's guide and they should really think about updating their skin tone colors names, at least the stuff that matches actual human skin tones.

GW's suggested color for a Mesoamerican tone is "Ratskin Flesh". Yikes.

Pretty sure its named that because its the base for the non-furry parts of skaven

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A while ago I recommended Behr spray paints in this thread. I did so because they were inexpensive and covered really nicely.

I must, IN ALL CAPS, say DO NOT USE BEHR PREMIUM SPRAY PAINT FOR YOUR MINIATURES.

Sadly I recommended the paint before painting, but after priming. I just finished putting together all the scenery from the Warcry Heart of Ghur box and sat down to paint it today. The contrast paint pooled up instantly and I thought maybe the paint was bad or I did not shake it enough. Turns out the Behr paint is water resistant as a feature making it terrible to paint with.

So, do not use. Some experimentation showed that paint that was not thinned and applied straight from the pot (non contrast paint at least) would adhere. But I am going to re-prime the whole loving batch.

Are there any suggestions on a paint that goes on smoother than rustoleum? But not the cost of GW? Army Painter stuff is ok, but I have had bad luck with the cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Im a big fan of krylon camo ultra-flat black, goes for 16 cad and goes on incredibly flat or a satin finish if you go a bit heavier.